Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tomorowland: Unimaginative or just finding itself?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tomorowland: Unimaginative or just finding itself?

Tomorowland in my opinion looks like a modern mall to me. The rock bands always playing at night, the horribe loud techo music. Valuable space taken up by an arcade full of generic 2000 games. Innoventions once again a reminder of the new 2000 merchendise for our home and lives. The bland blue walls. The boring syle or redd rockets, the space mountain line with the modern hip future look. It just doesn't work very well as a "themed" land. It's way to modern and hip looking. I will say this however, it has come a long way since 1997! What are your opinions?
    Yes! It does look very unfurturistic like!
    18.57%
    No! It looks very futuristic
    4.29%
    It's still getting there!
    71.43%
    I just don't like Tomorowland!
    5.71%

The poll is expired.

Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

Re: Tomorowland: Unimaginative or just finding itself?

They should have left it alone from the get-go. They should have just updated a few things and such - instead of the entire revamp back in 1998. At first it did seem cool with the Rocket Rods and all - but when everything started falling apart and the horrible colors got weather-beaten, all of a sudden 'WHITE' seemed like a great idea again, in my book.

Comment

I think it's just finding itself again. It was amazing back in the good ol' days, but since the revamp, if you can call it one, back in the late '90s it seems to have gone backwards. The main problem is what many people, including myself, have thought. The Land has become too stagnant. There's not enough motion in it. Bring the PeopleMover back, move the rockets to the top of the PeopleMover queue, and possibly gut out Innoventions to put in a new ride that has A LOT of motion to it.

...Joe...

Comment

Originally posted by JosephTNielsen View Post
        I think it's just finding itself again. It was amazing back in the good ol' days, but since the revamp, if you can call it one, back in the late '90s it seems to have gone backwards. The main problem is what many people, including myself, have thought. The Land has become too stagnant. There's not enough motion in it. Bring the PeopleMover back, move the rockets to the top of the PeopleMover queue, and possibly gut out Innoventions to put in a new ride that has A LOT of motion to it.

...Joe...

EXCELLENT statement - it HAS GONE BACKWARDS.

Comment

Problem is, Tomorrow caught up. Back in the 50's and 60's there was so much to imagine about the future, and corporations wanted to show off their proposed stuff. Now, corporations are loathe to showcase any idea that someone can steal.

I'd love to have Microsoft and Apple battle it out in Innoventions to see who can come up with the coolest future.

Comment

we all need to just wait and see...the future is coming!!! By the time it gets here, Tomorrowland will be ahead of the times

SUPPORT THE CMs

sigpic
            For me, Tomorrow is everyday...wait...what?

Comment

Originally posted by sediment View Post
              Now, corporations are loathe to showcase any idea that someone can steal.
              I don't think it's that since they could easily just get whatever it is that they're showcasing copy written or patented. It's no different than someone showcasing their works of art or music in a book. As long as the material is protected there should be no issue of stealing.

Just my thoughts.

...Joe...

Comment

I think it looks better than it did since I went in Feb, but its no Tommorrowland. Its like Space/Tech land
                Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

Once the dead attractions are revived (meaning the Subs and the PM tracks), I believe TL will be in good shape again.

Comment

Originally posted by pineapplewhipaddict View Post
                    Once the dead attractions are revived (meaning the Subs and the PM tracks), I believe TL will be in good shape again.
                    And More Alive, The lake looked so dead without the subs and the Tracks above TL look dead with out the PM.
                    With them back TL will be alive and well.
                    Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
                      And More Alive, The lake looked so dead without the subs and the Tracks above TL look dead with out the PM.
                      With them back TL will be alive and well.
                      I agree, I agree, I agree, I agree!!!!

I've said it before and I'll say it again...

BRING THE PEOPLEMOVER BACK!!!!

Okay, I'm done.

...Joe...

Comment

My favorite Tomorrowland was circa 1980 (Happy 25th Disneyland!). The people mover went through a ton of interesting and fun rides. Space Mountain was actually hip, and beneath it was the Space Stage, beatifully framed by Space Mountin. When the show ended on the Space Stage, the Tomorrowland Terrace would rise up for more entertainment. Everything was alive and moving. So much so, the rest of the park would be dead at night. It didn't matter if it was the future. It was always fresh because of the motion and live entertainment. It's basically dead and boring now. And quite a bit more ugly I should add. I miss the restaurant where the Space Mountain Queue is now. It's all so abandoned, twisty, and dark back there now. Shame on Eisner for putting Captain EO there. That was the first dagger through the heart of Tomorrowland. The great views from the belly of Space Mountain are long gone now and once open walks are now dark and dank.

Comment

TL did receive 2 ok makeovers, but compared to 1997
                          it has NOT come a long way, by any stretch of the imagination.
                          The TL'98 makeover left TL worse than before. And it continued
                          to be sucked into a blackhole of abandonment several years
                          thereafter.

The absolute low point for TL occurred the day that Space Mt.
                          was closed by surprise, and stayed closed for emergency structural
                          repairs until July 2005. In the meantime, Buzz Lightyear was rushed
                          into old Circlevision building (which had just been used to refurbish
                          the rotting carousel in Fantasyland)

TL STILL is nowhere near halfway to what it used to be. And right
                          now, in the midst of construction walls around the lagoon, the subs
                          are FINALLY getting ready to reopen (BUT we ALL remember that we
                          were promised a new attraction by 2002 for subs, at the time they
                          initially closed the subs in 1998, from the Pressler Press kit of LIES)

ALSO above, a NEW MONORAIL is being prepped for (We all remember
                          when parts began falling down among guests in DCA, as the Monorail was
                          beginning to fall apart ~ Again, thanks to the PAUL PRESSLER book
                          "Run To Failure or until someone is injured or killed")

And of course, the rumors abound about the possible return of a revised
                          Peoplemover continue to florish (since the "big e-ticket" for TL'98 bit
                          the big one)

And with the Return (thank goodness) of the Tomorrowland Terrace and it's
                          old white color scheme, a return to the old white Space Mt. (ok, not even the
                          colors couldn't last on "Small World")

THEN LOOK AT ALL the other areas in TL that STILL have a Hangover from '98
                          and you have one of the most messed up, screwed up, mongral mutts of land
                          that EVER EXISTED IN OVER 50 YEARS of DL History.

Maybe when they create some sort of semblance in TL, they will call it
                          "Todayland" as it is in "Meet the Robinsons". But for TODAY'S today,
                          it only resembles a part construction, part trashed TL'98 makeover,
                          part recovered from TL'98 hangover, part new retro 70's TL, part
                          these attractions need to be updated, part "this area used to
                          have a better attraction 30 years ago", part big round rock
                          bidet that's turned off monument, and you get the
                          "OMG, this land is a mess" theme.
                          Last edited by Aladdin; 10-11-2006, 12:21 AM.
                          Critter Country's a mess ev'r since the Country Bears were kicked out. Ya can't cover pooh with honey and 'spect people ta like it.
                          An Adventurers It's Time to Put the Spotlight Back on Bring Back the REAL Disney Gallery
                          Life for Me! ~ ~ ~ Melvin, Buff, and Max!!! ~~~~ Dump the Dream Suite!
                          Meese-ka Moose-ka Mice-Chatter!

Comment

In my mind, Tomorrowland should reflect a bustling city of Tomorrow. I loved the Rocket Rods, though mostly for the sound and motion they added to the land. That whine was so exciting, and added LIFE to the land.
                            I wish the south corner wasn't all covered up. Pizza port smells great, but walking all the way up this long concourse to get to Space Mountain, then up and along this horribly unthemed roof, then ejected out through another darkened corridor next to an aging arcade just makes no sense.
                            With HISTA dwelling in its little cave down there, it makes one wonder what is going on there. The whole HISTA, Pizza Port, Space Mountain, Starcade region needs to be rethought.
                            Space Mountain needs an actual queue. Build it into the second floor of the Starcade. Make it a briefing area for travellers to Space Station 77. Use video screens and AAs to give it a preshow building up the thrill of the ride, before transferring the riders into the actual SS77 (the building with the Tan Guy and the Safety Spiel... you know, the show building). Do something with the Magic Eye theatre. Get Kodak to sponsor something that's not HISTA... or even a 3d movie. Get them to liven it up... I don't know. But that area is so drab. I get sad every time I'm on top of the show buildings... no theme.

Comment

Originally posted by mrfantasmic View Post
                              In my mind, Tomorrowland should reflect a bustling city of Tomorrow. I loved the Rocket Rods, though mostly for the sound and motion they added to the land. That whine was so exciting, and added LIFE to the land.
                              I wish the south corner wasn't all covered up. Pizza port smells great, but walking all the way up this long concourse to get to Space Mountain, then up and along this horribly unthemed roof, then ejected out through another darkened corridor next to an aging arcade just makes no sense.
                              With HISTA dwelling in its little cave down there, it makes one wonder what is going on there. The whole HISTA, Pizza Port, Space Mountain, Starcade region needs to be rethought.
                              Space Mountain needs an actual queue. Build it into the second floor of the Starcade. Make it a briefing area for travellers to Space Station 77. Use video screens and AAs to give it a preshow building up the thrill of the ride, before transferring the riders into the actual SS77 (the building with the Tan Guy and the Safety Spiel... you know, the show building). Do something with the Magic Eye theatre. Get Kodak to sponsor something that's not HISTA... or even a 3d movie. Get them to liven it up... I don't know. But that area is so drab. I get sad every time I'm on top of the show buildings... no theme.
                              You know, I don't think there's one thing that you mentioned that I haven't thought at one time or another while being in that section of Tland. As much as I love playing air hockey with Robert the whole arcade could go as far as I'm concerned.

...Joe...

Comment

Good to know I'm not the only one. I really do just stare at the roof and say "What if..."

Comment

The main problem with having a Tomorrowland is, was and always will be that Tomorrow keeps changing. 1955's idea of the future is vastly different from 1997's, and 2006 has seen a number of other advances.

The much-maligned Innoventions - which, admittedly, is a giant ad - could be used to simply showcase new gadgets as they come onto the market. It could be like one of those shows that were popular in the 1980s and show you the latest gadgets before they come on the market - especially those expensive ones the average Joe and Jane can't afford.

Alternatively, Tomorrowland could maintain the whole 'retro Tomorrow' thing. I'm not necessarily saying it needs to follow the same route as Paris and their Verne-inspired motif, although that wouldn't be a bad idea. It is hard to be timeless when talking about tomorrow!

Comment

Originally posted by Loomis View Post
                                    The main problem with having a Tomorrowland is, was and always will be that Tomorrow keeps changing. 1955's idea of the future is vastly different from 1997's, and 2006 has seen a number of other advances.
                                    I actually disagree with that sentiment.

Science fiction has created several stories that express themes related to futurism, visionaries, and technological achievements, and many of these pieces are timeless classics. Works by Jules Verne, H.G. Wells, and Isaac Asimov, for example, can join things like the Star Wars saga to create a Tomorrowland that embraces fiction as much as fact.

EPCOT has really supplanted the need for The Magic Kingdoms to present a realistic prediction of the future.
                                    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 10-11-2006, 08:31 AM.

Comment

Science fiction has created several stories that express themes related to futurism, visionaries, and technological achievements, and many of pieces are timeless classics.
                                      I think that's what they were aiming for in the '98 revamp: "The Future That Never Was"

In my opinion it should be re-titled "The Future That Never Should Have Happened"

I agree that the "problem" is that tomorrow keeps changing, or at best the present keeps catching up with Tomorrowland's vision.

But I don't think that's a reason to scrap the idea of trying to present a vision of the future. That's what the dedication plaque says Tomorrowland is supposed to be: a vision of constructive things to come.

Is it no longer possible to heavily leverage corporate sponsorship in creating truly visionary displays and attractions for Tomorrowland? Things on par with the Carousel of Progress from GE, Adventures through Inner Space and the Plastics Home of the Future from Monsanto, or the Autopia from Richfield (aka ARCO)?

I just think they've given up.
                                      "Say, uh, ever hear of the devil's paint pots? Real mystery of the desert. Bubblin' pots of mud in all kinds of colors."

Comment

Tommorrowland would cost too much to redo into a city of the future..
                                        But man they could do ALOT of cool things to Tommorrowland if they put up the cash.
                                        Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X