This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Whimsical Effect at DLR

What is the best little whimsical effect that is subtle, yet adds so much to the ambience of the park. This isn't a thread about how cool the park is (it would take up millions of pages!), but rather the coolest little effect that others may pass by.

For me? I really like how a drinking fountain in Toontown had a fiber optic light in the spout, so as you drank, it was like you were dringking a flourescent liquid--really cool at night (not sure if it is still there). Also, I like the little audio stories going on near the lockers on main street (some guy singing in the shower) and the voo doo lady by the bathrooms in NOS (casting a spell from the upstairs room). Of course the Jamitors in tomorrow land and the talking trashcan that I hear so much about, but have yet to see

So what are the little things that were added to the park for the sole purpose of whimsical magic and not profiteering that you like?
    Last edited by Cacopelao!; 10-12-2006, 07:52 AM.

Re: Best Whimsical Effect at DLR

I've always loved the jumping fish in the pond near BTMRR. When I was younger I thought they were real. And of course the wicked Queen in the window atop Snow Whites ride.
    Last edited by Mickey'sGirl; 10-12-2006, 07:55 AM. Reason: misspelled words

Comment

I like the candle effect in the upper window of the Haunted Mansion that makes it look as though the bride is wandering around up there.
      MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook: .

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,
      Save

Comment

The fact that they have recorded bird songs and cricket chirping noises that play and cross-fade from day to night. I think that's the coolest little effect. Guarantees that those sounds will always be there, when they want them.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Dustysage View Post
          I like the candle effect in the upper window of the Haunted Mansion that makes it look as though the bride is wandering around up there.
          Originally posted by mycroft16 View Post
          The fact that they have recorded bird songs and cricket chirping noises that play and cross-fade from day to night. I think that's the coolest little effect. Guarantees that those sounds will always be there, when they want them.
          I didn't notice either one of those!!!! I'll have to keep my eyes (and ears) peeled!!!

Comment

How about the various recorded conversations and little stories that are played from the windows of New Orleans Square and Main Street. Ever spent a few minutes listening below the dentist's office window on Center Street?
            MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook: .

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,
            Save

Comment

Originally posted by Dustysage View Post
              How about the various recorded conversations and little stories that are played from the windows of New Orleans Square and Main Street. Ever spent a few minutes listening below the dentist's office window on Center Street?
              Yeah!!!...I was referring to that earlier. It is amazing how funny those can be...Right across from the dentist is a guy taking a shower and singing and then listening to some jazz...and a neighbor lady tells him to quiet down--totally funny.

Comment

The telephone conversations you can listen in on in ToonTown and Main St.

The sounds of the guy taking a shower above you by the lockers...

Comment

The shift in theme from one land to the next.
                  Examples:
                  Adventureland to NOS/ROA. You go from tropical jungle type stores to the River Belle Terrace entrace in a few short feet, but have you ever really noticed that you changed? You simply are in a different world without ever realizing it.

Frontierland/ROA to NOS. The pavement underyour feet goes from a western feel, to paved, to cobblestone. And instead of having hardline transitions, they blend them. The pavement will start to crack and have bits where cobblestone shows through and then it will become all cobblestone.

Just like in movies, from one scene to another you have crossfades... Disneyland crossfades between lands. How cool is that

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Comment

Man..............I must be an idiot not to notice some of this stuff.

Comment

For some reason I go crazy for the 'Island' music you hear as you approach Tarzan's Treehouse. It is so cool to listen to, and it relaxes me for some reason.

Great thread, btw.

Comment

Originally posted by cal4iri View Post
                        Man..............I must be an idiot not to notice some of this stuff.
                        The whole point is to not notice They want these kinds of things to just fade into your sub-concious where they have an effect on you, but aren't really noticed by you. Just like the real world. Even though it's fantasy, they wanted Disneyland to feel absolutely real. That's why it succeeds so well. Because you don't notice all these little things.

I had no idea about the candle in the HM effect, or the water fountain. I'm going to have to watch for those next time I'm there. Every visit I see something new that just deepens my respect for the work that went into it. Makes it even more magical for me.

Comment

Originally posted by mycroft16 View Post
                          The whole point is to not notice They want these kinds of things to just fade into your sub-concious where they have an effect on you, but aren't really noticed by you. Just like the real world. Even though it's fantasy, they wanted Disneyland to feel absolutely real. That's why it succeeds so well. Because you don't notice all these little things.

I had no idea about the candle in the HM effect, or the water fountain. I'm going to have to watch for those next time I'm there. Every visit I see something new that just deepens my respect for the work that went into it. Makes it even more magical for me.

You are right about every visit noticing more and more. I only get to go about once a month but I have 2 little ones in tow so my senses are directed at them most of the time.
                          I've always had a huge amount of respect for what Disneyland is and each time the little things are what build that repsect more and more.

Comment

The Cobra and the Hornbill bird upstairs at the Jungle Cruise...

Comment

The ticking of the telegraph at the NOS train station.

HDAlien
                              HDAlien

-----------------------------------------------------
                              "I dream of the day when you can go to a drive through, purchase alcohol, tobacco, and bullets, and use them all before you get home" -- Dogbert

Comment

Whenever I am walking from Frontierland to New Orleans Square (approx. from the Golden Horseshoe Saloon to the Riverbelle Terrace, along the waterfront) I love to look up behind NOS and see the masts and upper sails of the pirate ship.
                                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 5hr drive View Post
                                  Whenever I am walking from Frontierland to New Orleans Square (approx. from the Golden Horseshoe Saloon to the Riverbelle Terrace, along the waterfront) I love to look up behind NOS and see the masts and upper sails of the pirate ship.
                                  That's a good one. I've seen people try to find it thinking it was the Columbia.

I like the treasure you can find on Tom Sawyer's Island.

Comment

PotC and Autopia smells.
                                    -Jack :geek:
                                    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

Comment

Originally posted by Gemini Cricket View Post
                                      That's a good one. I've seen people try to find it thinking it was the Columbia.

I like the treasure you can find on Tom Sawyer's Island.

WHOA!!! There's treasure on TSI?

Also, there are masts that are visible but are there just for show and not part of Columbia?

Comment

The shop windows along Main Street. Not just the Emporium windows (which are great) but I love noticing all the little details in the windows. Also, the window of the Candy Kitchen, where you can watch the candy makers at work. Oh, and the tributes to the people who made Disneyland possible in the second story windows along Main Street.
                                        sigpic

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X