This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monsters in California?

Has anyone noticed that Disney has abandoned the "California Adventure" theme by putting in the Monsters Inc. ride? Unless they are saying California is the land of Monsters? :lol: Do you care that the California theme is out the window? Are you happy about it?

I think the idea is that you can put any movie-based attraction in the Hollywood Backlot area and get away with staying within the "California" theme. Of course, such a construct purports to put that attraction one-step further away from immersiveness, but people will continue to experience any ride as they will - and immerse themselves to whatever degree the attraction itself generally demands. (For example, is the Star Tours experience at Disney-MGM appreciably different from the one in Tomorrowland?)

Comment

I think they lost the California theme back in 2001 when they shoved The Main Street Electrical Parade into DCA. They went out of theme again when they introduced Flix's Fun Fair in fall 2002.

Comment

Well there is only so much you can do with a California theme, no?

Comment

I noticed Jiminy, and I'm none too pleased. I'm still clinging to the hope that, because the facade looks like it was done on the cheap so far, and that the whole attraction has such a minimal budget, that it is a sign that Disney recognizes that the whole north side is ripe for redevelopment, and didn't want to commit much money to a building that would be bulldozed toward the end of the decade.

In a way though, I like the MGM Star Tours better because it's more immersive as an experience where guests on a movie set become part of the movie, rather than an experience of a Long Time Ago in Tomorrowland. In fact, I've long wanted to see Star Tours out of Tomorrowland and upgraded to a Star Tours: Episode II, with an immersive Mos Eisley/Espa "set" (complete with Cantina eatery) that would also allow DCA to be a home for Star Wars weekends.

And of course, with Star Tours upgraded in the Other park, attendance will likely experience slow growth, AND Tomorrowland can get ATIS back
          See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
          78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

Comment

Originally posted by girl anachronism
            So, SO much... Geologic prehistory, native american settlements, the Mission period, the Gold Rush, the Wild Wild West, the Victorian resort period, the birth of Hollywood, the age of the Red Cars, the birth of the drive-ins, the rise of Silicon Valley... just to name a few.

The California theme offers most things that Disneyland offers (Fantasy, Adventure, the Frontier, and Tomorrow) plus a few touches that are unique to this great state.

The limitation is this insistence on "contemporary," which was so odd for a company that made its bread and butter off of idealized visions of a Golden past.

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

Comment

Ah, i'm not too keen on California history. Maybe they figure that you can experience, native american settlements, Wild Wild West. At Frontierland?

Comment

Monsters Inc is a film. The Monsters Inc attraction is being placed in a film "backlot." If Monsters Inc detracts from the theme, look at Muppet*Vision 3D and tell me that that attraction (which has been there since opening) make the theme work anybetter. It doesn't if Monsters Inc ruins any theme.

If anything is ruining the theme of California Adventure its "a bugs land"
                An entire land dedicated to animated characters in a park themed after California makes no sense. At least a ride based after animated film characters fits more with the theme of a Hollywood, California movie backlot.

And besides, I really think DCA needs as much help as it can get, a new ride is a new ride thats utilizing dead space. All we can do is hope that its a good, well-developed utilization of that space and that more of this productivity continues to be poured into DCA as well as Disneyland and the Resort as a whole.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

Comment

Ah, i'm not too keen on California history. Maybe they figure that you can experience, native american settlements, Wild Wild West. At Frontierland?
                  Hmmm... I haven't been able to set foot in a Native American settlement in Frontierland in ages.

For that matter, the West is a BIG territory, and while Frontierland may cover a small part of that, it doesn't cover Sutter's Mill, the Barbary Coast, Zorro's Monterey, and all manner of other things. The Disney folks are really only limited by their imagination.

-- Walt Disney

Comment

Originally posted by ModHatter
                    Hmmm... I haven't been able to set foot in a Native American settlement in Frontierland in ages.

For that matter, the West is a BIG territory, and while Frontierland may cover a small part of that, it doesn't cover Sutter's Mill, the Barbary Coast, Zorro's Monterey, and all manner of other things. The Disney folks are really only limited by their imagination.
                    Wow, i read your post and out of no where the words "ZORRO ATTRACTION" flashed over and over in my head. Though i just don't know how, where, what kind, or anything. But...Zorro! That'd be cool! He fits right in with California. And it would be an Adventure

Click the banner! ^^^^
                    Follow us on Twitter
                    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
                    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

Comment

yes I hate a bugs land as well sad thing is if they'd built it INDOORS the way the Mermaid land is in TDS is it would've made it fit better thematicaly (and A bugs Land is infact a clone of that mermaid area)

for more talk on how the farm SHOULD be done I created this thread
                      http://www.micechat.com/showthread.php?t=1041

anywho I myself am hoping the monsters give some sort of justification for being in the backlot

or perhaps that this new themeing Jim of Hill is talking about comes to pass and helps explain it more
                      "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

Comment

Originally posted by Pizzapants
                        Wow, i read your post and out of no where the words "ZORRO ATTRACTION" flashed over and over in my head. Though i just don't know how, where, what kind, or anything. But...Zorro! That'd be cool! He fits right in with California. And it would be an Adventure
                        Well, I'm too lazy to bring up one of my old posts, so here's a recap of one idea I had.

Long story short, it would use the now-defunct Soap Box Racers concept, reImagineered as a posse on a comical chase after Zorro. Over rocks, under tree branches, through a creek... You chase him into a box canyon, only to see that familiar silhouette of Zorro on his horse, waving to you from atop the canyon before riding off into the sunset.

I sort of imagine Old Monterey starting where the Golden Dreams area now is, and going counterclockwise we get the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk near the turn of the century, and then on to SF leading into where the Timon lot expansion will go.

-- Walt Disney

Comment

Now a Zorro attraction would be cool, but let us be reminded that Disney only want's to market whats popular now.

Comment

Now a Zorro attraction would be cool, but let us be reminded that Disney only want's to market whats popular now.
                            Well, the last Zorro picture didn't come out that long ago, and the Zeta-Jones signed up for an upcoming sequel.

Besides, if the 50th has taught us anything, it's that the audience doesn't necessarily want what's popular now. If anything, Disney should realize that what's popular when you Imagineer a ride probably won't be popular by the time it can actually be built, and it'll have a very short shelflife.

Disney needs to stay away from the distinctly contemporary and aim for something timeless, something classic. And DCA in particular needs its Everest.

(And no, not a clone! It's OWN groudbreaking, spectacular family E ticket.)

-- Walt Disney

Comment

Originally posted by ModHatter
                              Well, the last Zorro picture didn't come out that long ago, and the Zeta-Jones signed up for an upcoming sequel.

Besides, if the 50th has taught us anything, it's that the audience doesn't necessarily want what's popular now. If anything, Disney should realize that what's popular when you Imagineer a ride probably won't be popular by the time it can actually be built, and it'll have a very short shelflife.

Disney needs to stay away from the distinctly contemporary and aim for something timeless, something classic. And DCA in particular needs its Everest.

(And no, not a clone! It's OWN groudbreaking, spectacular family E ticket.)
                              I dunno I think there's a difference between types of modern popularity

Disney should stay out of things that are fads (Millionare is never going to be the next jepordy or wheel of fortune and of course Hollywood stars are always changing)

but I also don't think they need to go super retro either

I'm not a Zorro fan and I have mixed feelings on how people would react to a ride about him or how the ride would focas on you and not Zorro (in Indy your the star having the adventure Indy's the dweeb that gets crushed by the boulder, Indy becomes secondary to you)
                              "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

Comment

Originally posted by Jspider
                                I dunno I think there's a difference between types of modern popularity

Disney should stay out of things that are fads (Millionare is never going to be the next jepordy or wheel of fortune and of course Hollywood stars are always changing)

but I also don't think they need to go super retro either

I'm not a Zorro fan and I have mixed feelings on how people would react to a ride about him or how the ride would focas on you and not Zorro (in Indy your the star having the adventure Indy's the dweeb that gets crushed by the boulder, Indy becomes secondary to you)
                                If you look at Main St. USA, Adventureland, Frontierland, much of Fantasyland, Bear/Critter Country, and Toon Town, Disney makes "retro" work. But it can't be fad retro. Zorro has been popular for decades, though he may fade and re-emerge from time to time. He is a Classic in the truest sense. He is symbolized by a simple collection of three slashed lines, and yet those three slashed lines are instantly recognizable.

Meanwhile, a large chunk of classic Disney attractions don't make the rider the star. Jungle Cruise, PotC, HM, Splash Mountain, Space Mountain, just to name a few off the top of my head. People with imagination will put themselves in the ride; Disney doesn't need to do it for them.

Besides, in the example I gave earlier, Zorro has a very marginal role. Like in Indy, he is the defining character of the ride, framing the events that are about to transpire. But once Zorro gallops away from you (as part of Sgt. Garcia's unit), the focus is on the thrills experienced by the rider, with Zorro only occasionally visible until the final scene. The main difference is that Indy is a clear protagonist, while Zorro is the villain to Sgt. Garcia and his Commandant, but we the audience know he is the protagonist. But most guests aren't going to psychoanalyze the ride. If Imagineering folks do their job, they will give the guests a great ride, and no one will come off pouting, "But I wasn't the star."

Regardless, the theme of the park is the California Adventure, and Zorro is a perfect embodiment of both California and Adventure. If all else fails, they can take a closer look at Zorro's Monterey and make an Adventure from that era that has nothing to do with Zorro.

That's the problem with the park currently. Where's the adventure? What's so adventurous about a Wharf food court? Ptomaine tuna? Where's the adventure of a factory tour? Burning your tongue if your tortilla is too hot? California has been the American Dream factory for over 150 years, so where is the Gold Rush, where is the Golden Age of Hollywood, where is the land of milk and honey that drew the displaced from the Dust Bowl, where is the Summer of Love and Monterey Pop?

The California theme is already withering on the vine, but Monsters will really drive the park into Six Flags status.

-- Walt Disney

Comment

Maybe Disney should focus on the exciting aspects of California by creating a new part of DCA called "Los Angeles". It would be botox, traffic and basically everything about Los Angeles saturated into a small part of DCA. Wouldn't that be great?

I, for one, can't wait to ride "Traffic Adventure". The queue is the ride.
                                  Well, light travels from the sun. Then, bounces off of our planet, and back into our eyes so we can perceive color. My body can intercept that light and dance around on it!

-- robotarmada.net --

Comment

Come on guys, this is Disneyland Resort 2005... Who cares about theme? Let's put cartoon characters everywhere in Disneyland, and turn DCA into Disney Presents A Pixar California Adventure!

Comment

There is a lot you can do with a California theme. The only reason they used the Electrical Parade was becasue it was in Disneyland for so many years, and it quickly became a "California Classic", as they dubbed it. Many people in California are very familiar with the EP, so that is why I think they used it in California Adventure. As for ruining the theme with Monster's Inc., what about Muppet Vision 3D? That was there opening day. No offense but, don't make fun of California just because you live in Michigan.

Comment

Bring all the Pixar rides to DCA for all I care!

Originally posted by Monorail_Blue
                                        There is a lot you can do with a California theme. The only reason they used the Electrical Parade was becasue it was in Disneyland for so many years, and it quickly became a "California Classic", as they dubbed it. Many people in California are very familiar with the EP, so that is why I think they used it in California Adventure. As for ruining the theme with Monster's Inc., what about Muppet Vision 3D? That was there opening day. No offense but, don't make fun of California just because you live in Michigan.
                                        Hmm...It didn't seem to me as if I made fun of California, and i'd like to move to California thank you, Michigan is Hell on Earth. And I never implied that Monsters Inc. "ruined" the "theme" of DCA, it needs every bit of help it can get. Even my family, which consists of not very big Disney fans, said the same as me. So perhaps you should read things more thouroughly before saying such nonsense.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X