This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JiminyCricketFan
    Has anyone noticed that Disney has abandoned the "California Adventure" theme by putting in the Monsters Inc. ride? Unless they are saying California is the land of Monsters? :lol: Do you care that the California theme is out the window? Are you happy about it?
    The entrance into the attraction is through one of the Monsters Inc. protal-doors. Backlots have lots of doors. The entrance door might lead into Monstroplis

And in regards to Zorro... I posted this a while back....

Combined with the Mission-like architecture of the Golden Wine Vinery and the the Wharf Area (near the Mission Tortilla factory leading backstage) a Zorro ride would make a great attraction perhaps in a land dedicated to the Mexican and Spanish influences in California's history. Maybe something like El Camino Real leading into the land (with the bells that marked the way (the ones you can see on most of the 101)) in essence the land would be the romanticized idealized vision of the old Spanish west with this E-ticket Zorro ride...

I think a gentle but exciting ride could be done with Zorro... I think carriage type vehicles would be neat. You're completely surrounded by the carriage (and like a real carriage you can't see what's in front or back) so your vision is limited by what you see through the side windows and this can be how your carrige which was horseless when you boarded gets its horsepower (You hear them being saddled and reigned up front of the carriage)

Since this would be a relatively gentle E-ticket for the whole family people can seat across from each other and without restraints (think Sunwheel) like they would in a real carriage. You set out on a protected carriage trip to attend the Governor's ball (or somewhere else). The trip begins as a leisure stroll through beautiful Spanish-California near dusk. The you feel the pull of the horses and the tiny bumps in the dirt road as your carriage rolls on.

You can't see out the front or back but you can hear banditos climb uboard and hear them as they take your carriage hostage. They take you on a harrowing journey leading you over the creekbeds, cliffsides, rickety bridges, dark caves (not sure if this is historically accurate but maybe stop along a railroad track) etc. You see Zorro ride along side the carriage and hear (and feel) as he jumps on board, kicks butt, takes the reigns and guides you safely to your destination. During the fight the carriage drives along side a mountain ridge where you are able to see their "sun-cast" (projected) shadows on the mountain wall as you zoom along, you see via shadows, Zorro fighting the bandits and take control of the carriage as it nearly careens off a cliff. You arrive safely at your destination as the sun is setting over the hill and the black sillhoute of the original masked crusader can be seen as his horse stands on its rear legs.
    Last edited by dlfreak; 05-11-2005, 05:49 PM.
    Joey AKA "dlfreak"
    www.mouseinfo.com

I'm addicted to Disneyland. Disneyland hobbies are expensive.
    If I become a bum people are going to say "Don't give him money, he's just gonna use it on Disneyland."
    Disneyland. My Anti-drug.

With all this talk of "off the shelf" and "on the back-burner" it seems the only thing that DCA is really missing is the kitchen sink!

Create your own Virtual pet today!

Comment

Well, just something I thought of regarding Monsters "ruining" the theme of DCA.

DCA and its California theme was on the highway to Hell.
      ToT was an attempt to hang a U turn.
      As opposed to Monsters, which is like stomping on the gas pedal.
      See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
      78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

Comment

I fail to see how Monsters Inc is less themed than Muppet Vision 3D.

Comment

Originally posted by ModHatter
          If you look at Main St. USA, Adventureland, Frontierland, much of Fantasyland, Bear/Critter Country, and Toon Town, Disney makes "retro" work. But it can't be fad retro. Zorro has been popular for decades, though he may fade and re-emerge from time to time. He is a Classic in the truest sense. He is symbolized by a simple collection of three slashed lines, and yet those three slashed lines are instantly recognizable.

Meanwhile, a large chunk of classic Disney attractions don't make the rider the star. Jungle Cruise, PotC, HM, Splash Mountain, Space Mountain, just to name a few off the top of my head. People with imagination will put themselves in the ride; Disney doesn't need to do it for them.

Besides, in the example I gave earlier, Zorro has a very marginal role. Like in Indy, he is the defining character of the ride, framing the events that are about to transpire. But once Zorro gallops away from you (as part of Sgt. Garcia's unit), the focus is on the thrills experienced by the rider, with Zorro only occasionally visible until the final scene. The main difference is that Indy is a clear protagonist, while Zorro is the villain to Sgt. Garcia and his Commandant, but we the audience know he is the protagonist. But most guests aren't going to psychoanalyze the ride. If Imagineering folks do their job, they will give the guests a great ride, and no one will come off pouting, "But I wasn't the star."

Regardless, the theme of the park is the California Adventure, and Zorro is a perfect embodiment of both California and Adventure. If all else fails, they can take a closer look at Zorro's Monterey and make an Adventure from that era that has nothing to do with Zorro.

That's the problem with the park currently. Where's the adventure? What's so adventurous about a Wharf food court? Ptomaine tuna? Where's the adventure of a factory tour? Burning your tongue if your tortilla is too hot? California has been the American Dream factory for over 150 years, so where is the Gold Rush, where is the Golden Age of Hollywood, where is the land of milk and honey that drew the displaced from the Dust Bowl, where is the Summer of Love and Monterey Pop?

The California theme is already withering on the vine, but Monsters will really drive the park into Six Flags status.

I agree Disneyland does make retro work well but that doesn't mean that DCA needs to go all out retro there are a few good ideas in DCA that it seems that they just dropped the ball on or did them half way instead of fully realizing the potential

as for the rides you mentioned about not focasing on the rider I disagree in a way because these rides present a scenario were you are the one who is exploring these locations. I stumble accross a Haunted Mansion and explore it or I get on a boat and take a cruise through the jungles or I get on a boat and start out in some swamps but somehow stumble upon a magical system of caves filled with cursed treasure and the next thing I know I'm back in the days of the pirates (the nararation of all these talk to you a bit as though you are recognized and are part of the story) Space Mountain is probably going to be presented the same way, I enter a space station and am given the opportunity to blast off into space. all of these scenario's still revolve mostly around me

a better example might be Splash Mountain were my involvement is more limited and only the thrills seem to incorperate me (basicaly we're trailing behind Brer Rabbit I suppose and just following him along) the involvement of the rider is there but it is very minimal but still manages to work

anywho like I said I'm not a huge Zorro fan, I can't deny that he has recognizability I can only say that my experiences with Zorro in entertainment have been a bit limited to a few episodes of his old TVshow and a couple of his movies (both of which are so different it's just hard for me to think of much about Zorro except for the Z of course)

like I said it'd be a good ride if the plots well written to incorperate the rider and Zorro knows exactly when to be seen and when not to be

I agree that DCA needs more adventure (story adventure not just coaster adventure but I think we both agree there)

I don't neccisarily think that the park needs to do a timetravel type theme to do such

DCA could easily create historic areas that still function with a somewhat modern context but still use Disney magic to show us excitement in modern time (or the ride can simply do timetravel itself and slowly move us back) I don't care much for the golden age of hollywood it wouldnt' be bad but a modern theme doesn't matter much either as long as they do it with "disney" style (it's not like Universal is ussing modern hollywood very effectivly anyways)

the only real area I think needs era theming is the Pier simply because it just doesn't work at all in any kind of modern concept and even if it was modern they need to create a backstory that has more history to it like a reinovated Pier which in that case I'd still want to see more tributes to things that don't exist anymore and less of this off the shelf stuff that's around everywere (theme it TDS style perhaps with some selective aging placed on somethings and not placed on others)

I believe you can tell a modern story and make it timeless in some ways as long as you stay away from being "hip" "trendy" or "edgy"
          "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

Comment

Well, just something I thought of regarding Monsters "ruining" the theme of DCA.

DCA and its California theme was on the highway to Hell.
            ToT was an attempt to hang a U turn.
            As opposed to Monsters, which is like stomping on the gas pedal.
            actualy ToT still fits with the general California theme

it doesn't gimmickerize it but it still fits in

if you wanna talk U turn talk about the "loose" connection "A Bug's Land" has with the Farm that's what I'd call a U turn

ToT was just not well thought out in the context of being in a backlot

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle
              Thank you! Finally, someone who realizes that Monsters Inc is fits the backlot theme as much as Muppet*Vision 3D does. Whether these attractions really "fit" or not, it doesnt make sense people are suddenly complaining now, becuase Muppet*Vision has been there since Day 1 and if Monsters Inc doesnt fit, Muppets don't either.

Its really just stupid that people are complaining anyway. Its a MOVIE-based ride in a MOVIE BACKLOT-themed area of the park. Who cares? It works. And god forbid we actually get a new ride. God forbid anybody gets excited or shows any relief that we're getting a replacement for a long-dead attraction and empty space!

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

Comment

Originally posted by MasterGracey
                Thank you! Finally, someone who realizes that Monsters Inc is fits the backlot theme as much as Muppet*Vision 3D does. Whether these attractions really "fit" or not, it doesnt make sense people are suddenly complaining now, becuase Muppet*Vision has been there since Day 1 and if Monsters Inc doesnt fit, Muppets don't either.

Its really just stupid that people are complaining anyway. Its a MOVIE-based ride in a MOVIE BACKLOT-themed area of the park. Who cares? It works. And god forbid we actually get a new ride. God forbid anybody gets excited or shows any relief that we're getting a replacement for a long-dead attraction and empty space!
                Did I sound like I was complaining?? :confused: I love Muppet Vision, and I can't wait for this ride to open.

Comment

Originally posted by girl anachronism
                  Did I sound like I was complaining?? :confused: I love Muppet Vision, and I can't wait for this ride to open.
                  No, you specifically did not sound as if you were complaining. But others in this thread are complaining. I'm glad youre excited about the ride, I am too. But others just seem as though they'd prefer it not open simply because it doesnt "fit the theme" by their own standards.

I might be ranting too much, maybe I should just go to bed. haha.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

Comment

California Adventure is a theme park. I'm pretty much a purist about everything, but I don't see any problem with it whatsoever. Remember, California Adventure IS a DISNEY park. It is different than Disneyland, in its own way, but Mickey and Minnie and all the disney characters still apply.

Relax. It always annoyed me that they had to add the alternating "Disney's Electrical Parade/A California Classic" sign to the electrical parade to justify why it is in DCA. It needs no justification. It's a Disney park. We never needed justification that the electrical Parade rolled through a typical American Main Street at the turn of the century.

Comment

ModHatter, not to pick on you, but I think you are prety much wrong about all of your points on this topic.

Monsters is a MOVIE, that will become an attraction in an area themed for Movies and entertainment.

How can you not get the tie in? It doesnt need to go with the California theme, but with the HPB theme.

Also, reports have said, that the theme of this area will change, with plusses to facades and the plaza, to open with the attraction.

If you look at the concept art for this attraction, this ride doesnt look to be being built on the cheap, and they termed this attraction to be a DCA SIGNATURE ATTRACTION.

I dont think they would have termed it this if their plan was to tear it down in a few years. This actually looks like it is going to be a very nice dark-ride, not carboard cut-outs like Pooh and Buzz, although i like both of those also.

The facade, while not over the top, is actually pretty cool, and if they are working on a budget, i am glad they decided to sink the money into the attraction itself, instead of the facade.

I actually have very high hopes for this attraction after seeing the concept art, wheras before, I was happy that a much needed, nice little dark-ride was coming to DCA. Now I think it is going to be a step up from Buzz.

Comment

Originally posted by Jspider
                        actualy ToT still fits with the general California theme

it doesn't gimmickerize it but it still fits in

if you wanna talk U turn talk about the "loose" connection "A Bug's Land" has with the Farm that's what I'd call a U turn

ToT was just not well thought out in the context of being in a backlot
                        No no... you missed the point.
                        Again.

I include the opening day attractions and Bug's Land as the highway to Hell for the California theme. Oblivion. No more. ToT was a U turn back to the California theme...

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

Comment

Originally posted by planodisney
                          ModHatter, not to pick on you, but I think you are prety much wrong about all of your points on this topic.

Monsters is a MOVIE, that will become an attraction in an area themed for Movies and entertainment.

How can you not get the tie in? It doesnt need to go with the California theme, but with the HPB theme.
                          Yes, it's a movie. And your point is...? I mean, going by that logic, might as well put a modern Starbucks on Main St. USA, because what Main St. doesn't have one.

Putting any old movie in a Backlot is a very Six Flags approach to theme. Disney is supposed to do better, especially if they ever want to be able to charge Disneyland prices for DCA.

-- Walt Disney

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle
                            Right, and that's precisely why DCA wasn't a very well themed park, even on day 1. It's sort of ironic that two of the land's offerings that had the most to do with a backlot, Soap Opera Bistro with its recreation of real TV sets, and Millionaire, have gone the way of the dodo.

Anyhoo, I think most people acknowledge that DCA never really captured California as much as it captured a bunch of clones that had virtually nothing to do with the state. But, with ToT and its Hollywood Hotel, we were at least starting to see clones that actually fit the theme instead of being roughly shoehorned to the point of ridiculousness.

Enter SuperMonster Limo...

-- Walt Disney

Comment

No no... you missed the point.
                              Again.

I include the opening day attractions and Bug's Land as the highway to Hell for the California theme. Oblivion. No more. ToT was a U turn back to the California theme...
                              oooohhh ok

I dunno there are a few things that I think fit

Muppets kind of sort of fits in a backlot

Soarin works and yeah we already covered ToT

I don't know that every ride needs to directly invovle California but they all need a tie in or at least connect to the that they're in

I'll always say the Farm needed a Living with the Land ride

yeah I like that ride and it seems as though they really could have "Californiarized" it

Comment

Yes, it's a movie. And your point is...? I mean, going by that logic, might as well put a modern Starbucks on Main St. USA, because what Main St. doesn't have one.

Putting any old movie in a Backlot is a very Six Flags approach to theme. Disney is supposed to do better, especially if they ever want to be able to charge Disneyland prices for DCA.
                                actualy I think it's the Universal Studio's approach

Six Flags would put Superman in a section themed to Samuri? (never been but I think I've read this?)

Comment

No, that's not what planodisney said- you are twisting it so it fits your purpose.

HPB is themed as a place where entertainment and movies come to life. Monsters Inc. is a movie. It fits (although I agree it COULD be a stronger tie)

Main Street is themed as a street from the early 1900's. Starbucks does NOT fit.

You have to look past the name and go towards the THEME of the area. Very little fantasy is in the Matterhorn- yet it is in Fantasyland. So is this a horrible fit? No, becuase by themeing the surrounding area as a European Village, it works. But just judging by the name FANTASYland, the Matterhorn has a VERY loose tie. Same with Tomorrowland. The name implies that anything having to do with tommorow would fit in it. So let's see, what's going in tomorrow... I'll go to school, do homework, watch some TV, check MiceChat- so does that belong in TOMORROWland? No, becuase the themeing of TL is sometime way in the future- even if the name doesn't say that. The name of an area, or even a theme park, is NOT what everything MUST tie back to- everything just must flow together cohesively. Take a look at almost any other Disney Park- EPCOT for example- Epcot stands for the Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow. What does World Showcase have to do with that? Tokyo DisneySea- which everyone loves to compare DCA with- what does the Indiana Jones Adventure or ToT have to do with the SEA? VERY little, if anything. But they fit the theme of their general areas, which fit the theme of the park, so it all works out. I mean, just by the name, Disneyland, neither Indy or Star Tours should exist b/c guess what- they are not based on Disney creations! But they fit the THEME which is important, which you totally overlooked when you tried to counter planodisneys point with your Starbucks example.

Comment

Originally posted by Jspider
                                    actualy I think it's the Universal Studio's approach

Six Flags would put Superman in a section themed to Samuri? (never been but I think I've read this?)
                                    Well, until recently, USH actually had a fairly backlot-intensive approach. Your main attraction was the Backlot Tour, and on the upper level, you would have an entertaining glimpse behind the scenes, with everything from screen tests to stunt performances to animal actors. Even when the lower level was being developed, they kept most of the emphasis on behind-the-scenes magic. Pyro, bluescreen, miniatures, foley... Yes, it's slipped since it started taking the IoA approach. But it's no SFMM.

I haven't been to the park in years, mostly because it didn't do it for me anymore. I seem to recall that back in the day, they used to have a loose theme here and there. I'm thinking of when the "theme" of the Revolution changed, and that area became vaguely inspired by Mexico. But it was always the most cursory, flat theming, largely because it's an amusement park that has a high turnover rate for its attractions. I seem to recall that, maybe for the '84 or '88 winter olympics, they constructed a bobsled ride, but they knew it was a seasonal ride, so there was no snowy Olympic village theme. It was all track and vehicle, no more. Batman actually got a "Gotham City" theme... so the kiosks on the way to the queue had some plywood Urban Decay on top, and some used cars were parked around the ride station.

And that's sort of what HPB and other parts of DCA are starting to become. There's a hot new concept. Does it belong where we're putting it? Oh sure, or at least we'll pretend it does. Route 66, that spans across the entire American West? Well... one END of it is here. A land full of bugs? Well, California does have bugs, doesn't it? A group of monsters computer-animated in Emeryville, placed in the Hollywood Pictures Backlot? And not even in the Animation building, but in its own ride? Well, sure, why not, even though the ride doesn't show us how movie magic is made, and has a very loose, surface-level tie to Hollywood.

For all of SSL's many MANY faults, at least it wasn't shoehorned. Architecturally and thematically, it fit HPB. It just had a miserable execution. If you took the same basic ride but gave it a more friendly onboard host, and toured the homes of modern Disney animated "stars," or caricatures of iconic Hollywood stars, it could have been a home run.

-- Walt Disney

Comment

Originally posted by grvtydefy
                                      No, that's not what planodisney said- you are twisting it so it fits your purpose.

HPB is themed as a place where entertainment and movies come to life. Monsters Inc. is a movie. It fits (although I agree it COULD be a stronger tie)

Main Street is themed as a street from the early 1900's. Starbucks does NOT fit.

You have to look past the name and go towards the THEME of the area. Very little fantasy is in the Matterhorn- yet it is in Fantasyland. So is this a horrible fit? No, becuase by themeing the surrounding area as a European Village, it works. But just judging by the name FANTASYland, the Matterhorn has a VERY loose tie. Same with Tomorrowland. The name implies that anything having to do with tommorow would fit in it. So let's see, what's going in tomorrow... I'll go to school, do homework, watch some TV, check MiceChat- so does that belong in TOMORROWland? No, becuase the themeing of TL is sometime way in the future- even if the name doesn't say that. The name of an area, or even a theme park, is NOT what everything MUST tie back to- everything just must flow together cohesively. Take a look at almost any other Disney Park- EPCOT for example- Epcot stands for the Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow. What does World Showcase have to do with that? Tokyo DisneySea- which everyone loves to compare DCA with- what does the Indiana Jones Adventure or ToT have to do with the SEA? VERY little, if anything. But they fit the theme of their general areas, which fit the theme of the park, so it all works out. I mean, just by the name, Disneyland, neither Indy or Star Tours should exist b/c guess what- they are not based on Disney creations! But they fit the THEME which is important, which you totally overlooked when you tried to counter planodisneys point with your Starbucks example.
                                      Tomorrow... hmm, literal or metaphorical? Yes, something that happened Yesterday doesn't belong in Tomorrowland.

EPCOT is that place Walt pitched to the people of Florida. Epcot Center (the "Center" was recently dropped, but the name is kept in lower case so that the company differentiates it from EPCOT) was a themepark built at the center of what would theoretically become EPCOT. With this in mind, the two-day park was broken down into two themes, Future World and World Showcase, much the way most World's Fairs were broken down.

So, I stand by my Starbucks example. The theme of HPB can be more narrowly defined, but the umbrella theme is Hollywood Pictures Backlot. Like other attractions in the land, Monsters isn't the most Hollywood thing around, and nothing about the ride will have anything to do with a Backlot experience. It's a superficial, catch-all application of only part of the land's theme. So, if you can wholesale lop off the parts of the theme that don't fit the attraction, you can lop off any part of any other DLR theme. And that's not very Disney.

-- Walt Disney

Comment

Were those first two paragraphs supposed to counter my point? Because if they were supposed to, then I think you failed. BTW, could you please re-explain your Starbucks comparison- for the life of me I can't see how it makes any sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Soulquarian
                                          Come on guys, this is Disneyland Resort 2005... Who cares about theme? Let's put cartoon characters everywhere in Disneyland, and turn DCA into Disney Presents A Pixar California Adventure!
                                          OMG, this is the funniest thing I've read all day! :lol:

Seriously though, if the Disneyland Resort is going to resort (no pun intended) to Pixar for inspiration for every new attraction, I'd rather see DCA get tons of Pixar stuff to burn out the material so Disneyland will not have to suffer the same fate. After all, after Monsters and Nemo, there's only The Incredibles and Cars left to copy. Surely they won't build multiple Nemo or Monsters rides.

Part of me believes this push for Pixar comes from Disney's upper management because there were no Pixar rides at all for years. And I don't believe someone as discerning as Matt Ouimett would think flooding the parks with movie-based rides (let alone from a 2nd party) is a good idea. I could see Buzz Lightyear, because they needed a quick fix to get out the door in time for the 50th. But obviously Nemo and Monsters had some mulling time and Matt usually seems very careful about tainting the Disneyland experience. Also, the Pixar push started around 2002, before Matt got here, so I think he might be under pressure to push the Pixar theme until it's completely exhausted.

In any case, cartoons don't belong outside Fantasyland and even then they should be kept to a minimum. If Pixar is the only way they can create true "family" rides then I truly pity WDI. I love thrill rides just as much as the next person, but I just haven't seen WDI put out anything that's not a white-knuckle thrill ride or Pixar ride. Remember when WDI could create a ride for the entire family without resorting to near-death experiences or 2nd-party material? Hopefully when Matt's under less pressure from Eisner he'll head us back in that direction. Until then, I'd say it's either 48" height requirements or Pixar-themed attractions.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X