PHOTO UPDATE 10/13: Sub Lagoon, Matterhorn, Midway Mania, Christmas, +LOADS MORE!

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MasterGracey
    Dateline Disneylander
    • Jan 2005

PHOTO UPDATE 10/13: Sub Lagoon, Matterhorn, Midway Mania, Christmas, +LOADS MORE!

There is a TON of stuff going on at the Resort right now. I got a new digital camera and a 2gb memory card and took it with me to break it in. I took over 300 pictures on my trip, and got down to about 60 for this update - my biggest update yet!

peoplemover1 and I got to the park bright and early hoping to get pleasantly surprised by the Dream Team, but alas, we didn't win anything all day - but we sure spent. I bought a framed and matted print of the Rainbow Caverns attraction poster that they had for sale in the Disney Gallery. It was used in an exhibit and so they were getting rid of it as-is for cheap with a few other prints. It cost me about $120, which is a steal considering the ornate frame and amazing matting would have cost me $240 alone, not to mention the actual print which would have run me an addition $40-60. So I totally got a steal, and now all I have to do is find somewhere to hang it. And against my will, peoplemover1 bought me an early Christmas present before she moves away to Seattle for a few months - the Auctioneer big fig! So I have 2 big new toys and I'm a happy camper! :ap:

Anyway, there is a TON of stuff going on around the Resort. Disney Vault 28 opened, Sub Lagoon and Matterhorn are having a noise competition as work on those two attractions progresses, Midway Mania is underway, and the S.S. rustworthy is behind walls. And don't forget Mickey's Halloween Treat! And speaking of holidays - Christmas has already started to appear at Disneyland... So let's get to it!

WELCOME TO DISNEYLAND!
    The Good Neighbor Hotels have gotten their Disneyland pamphlet displays switched from the 50th to the Year of a Million Dreams:

Christmas is coming to Disneyland - the snow machines for the fireworks finale have appeared at the top of the parade lights.

The Frontierland bridge was getting some work done to it early in the day, it was open later on though.

Snow machines have also appeared along the Rivers of America:

TOMORROWLAND
    Another window display at the Star Trader has been changed:

The ceiling of the counterservice area of Tomorrowland Terrace has gotten a new look: it's not painted or replaced, its just been covered with this:

Work was going on over near the Monorail station:

SUBMARINE LAGOON!
    Tikis in the Sub Lagoon!

Lighting transformer

Over closer to the old Motorboat Cruise area, there was some work going on last night:

MATTERHORN BOBSLEDS
    There were workers crawling all over the Matterhorn all day, the combined noise from the Matterhorn and the Sub Lagoon was intense at times

At night, they were working on the Matterhorn:

PIECES OF EIGHT
    The Pieces of Eight machine is still not working, but its getting attention. The background design for the letter picker has been changed to the skull and crossswords logo from the films:

WESTWARD HO CHRISTMAS COMPANY
    The Westward Ho Trading Company shop in Frontierland, which used to be a hat shop, is now a Christmas shop. Lots of really nice holiday decorations and whatnot are in the store now:

HALLOWEEN TREAT(S)
    The Blue Ribbon Bakery is now offering HalloweenTime specialty beverages:

The candy shop in Greetings From California at DCA also has seasonal cookies:

Mickey's Halloween Treat was sold out:

HalloweenTime decorations in the Pacific Wharf:

Lighting for Halloween Time:

Ghost projections were up on the tile murals at the entrance to DCA for Halloween Treat (VIDEO) :

MONSTERS INC WALL
    The wall over by Monsters Inc that has been behind construction walls for months now has got something new behind the walls with it... Not sure what it is though:

MIDWAY MANIA
    Midway Mania progresses slowly...
    They've painted the huge construction wall white - it was previously blue:

S.S. RUSTWORTHY WORK CONTINUES

Refurb on the S.S. rustworthy continues:

HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL PEP RALLY AT DCA
    The High School Musical Pep Rally is now performing daily at DCA:

CALIFORNIA SCREAMIN' BREAKDOWN
    Screamin' was down mid-afternoon and maitenance crew was working on getting it back up:

SPLASH MOUNTAIN PHOTO PREVIEW RETURNS

THIS AND THAT
    The scroll on the Storybook Land lighthouse is now blue:

Apparently, a forklift ran into these rocks in Frontierland and they had to be patched up:

Barbossa is back, and his name up now below him. peoplemover1 made an interesting suggestion as to why he doesnt look anything like Geoffry Rush - could it be that Disney didn't secure the rights to Rush's likeness for the attraction? This could explain why the Barbossa animatronic doesn't particularly look at realistic in likeness as the Jack Sparrow animatronics... Hmm..

There are new World of Disney window displays up:

And World of Disney has this poster up in the last room promoting APs:

...Alrighty... thats it for this update
    Last edited by MasterGracey; 10-15-2006, 01:54 AM. Reason: formatting... adding MORE pictures...

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!
  • laurabeth909
    i want some kisses!!!
    • Apr 2005

Re: PHOTO UPDATE 10/13: Sub Lagoon, Matterhorn, Midway Mania, Christmas, +LOADS MORE!

wonderful update! it seems i just left but still cant wait to go back again!

Comment

• Experiment626
      This is my car, Stitch :)
      • Oct 2005

Re: PHOTO UPDATE 10/13: Sub Lagoon, Matterhorn, Midway Mania, Christmas, +LOADS MORE!

Great pics...I loved seeing the tiki's inside Nemo.
      http://twitter.com/DisneyBrat
      www.foursquare.com/user/disneybrat
      http://www.facebook.com/Melissa.M.Solorzano

Comment

• mrfantasmic
        • Jan 2005

I swear, that corridor between the Matterhorn and Sub Lagoon IS really loud!

Comment

• clara
          Sshhh, being very quiet
          • Jan 2006

Thanks! OMG Pumpkin Spice Latter at the Blue Ribbon yum!

Ta Da!

Comment

• VeganPrincess
            Defying gravity
            • May 2006

I can't get enough of your wonderful updates, Master Gracey!!! :bow: :yea:

Comment

• eyes_of_mara
              OM NOM NOM
              • Feb 2005

Huh, the advertisement is in Disneyparks style, yet the castle has been changed to the Anaheim castle. Guess someone in Marketing has been listening to all those crazies over at Micechat, huh?
              Make something Idiot-Proof, and someone will build a better Idiot.

Comment

• Aladdin
                Prince Ali
                • Jan 2005

Thanks for the GREAT report!

Yay! Looks like the Sub Lagoon is finally getting some of the finishing details. And looks like Mt. Wannahockalugie is going to be part of the show!

The new ceiling of the TL Terrace really looks crappy, the old ceiling was much more detailed and much more spacey!

Yay! The Pieces of Eight is back, now, if they just get it in working condition AND keep it fixed!

AND the preview picture for Splash is working again, after all these years! Wow!

But what the heck is Disney doing with their Merchandising:

When I visited in July, they just added some pieces by the same artist. Now, i'm not a fan of the Country Style look of these, but THESE really are beautifully done! My complaint about these is I've seen the exact same pieces at my local Hallmark Store, and I have seen some of these pieces offered on QVC!!!!

DL Merchandising has really been messing up lately! 1st with the generic " Disney Parks " merchandise, and now with even more merchandise that you can easily find at practically and corner in the country or offered on TV and internet. How many times does DL need to be told to carry more merchandise exclusive to DL, specific to DL and it's attractractions!!!!
                Critter Country's a mess ev'r since the Country Bears were kicked out. Ya can't cover pooh with honey and 'spect people ta like it.
                An Adventurers It's Time to Put the Spotlight Back on Bring Back the REAL Disney Gallery
                Life for Me! ~ ~ ~ Melvin, Buff, and Max!!! ~~~~ Dump the Dream Suite!
                Meese-ka Moose-ka Mice-Chatter!

Comment

• MasterGracey
                  Dateline Disneylander
                  • Jan 2005

I realized I had forgotten to post a big chunk of photos - so they're all here now. I added Midway Mania shots, California Screamin' breakdown shots, High School Musical Pep Rally, and a bunch of others...

But it's late now - I'm going to get some sleep

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

Comment

• TanyAnnette
                    Mouseke-Awesome
                    • Oct 2006

Great update! :thumbup: Seeing Christmas things + DL make me feel warm and fuzzy inside :razz:

Trip Reports: One, Two, Three, Four

Comment

• yensidtlaw1969
                      MiceChatter
                      • Mar 2005

Thanks! Great Update!

In My Opinion, I think the Barbossa painting isn't photo-realistic is because, well, they wouldn't know EXACTLY what Barbossa looked like all those years later, would they? I think, even as they are, the Jack Sparrow and Barbossa Murals
                      look too accurate to make sense. They wouldn't have photo's to base them off of, as the camera didn't exist, and who would, back then, paint portraits of 2 of the most nefarious pirates to sail the spanish main? They seem to have just about every detail of Jack and Barbossa right, and, in my mind, it doesn't make sense. Will I lose sleep over it? Ofcourse not. It's not that big a deal to me. It's just a bit of a, well, I don't want to say continuity error, but it kinda is. Whatever.

-Yensidtlaw1969
                      www.BrandonHardy-Art.com

https://www.facebook.com/Brandon.Hardy.Art

"The show's called Pirates of the Caribbean, not Boy Scouts of the Caribbean. They're my babies, you know? I hate to see them fool around with 'em."
                      -X. Atencio

"Whether I like it or not doesn't matter. Each new generation has the right to come in and do what they feel is right for the show -- and that's what they did."
                      ~Alice Davis

Comment

• kickcows
                        MiceChatter
                        • Nov 2005

when i saw the tikis i heard "sharkbait! ooh ahh ahh!" i'm so excited!

thanks for this fabulous update! seeing the photos again on splash mountain brings a tear to my eye....
                        kingdom hearts <3er

Comment

• TigerLily98
                          Disney Family, San Diego
                          • Jul 2006

Very cool!

High School Musical is unfortunately NOT daily during the week.

It's my daughter's favorite, and it wasn't showing at all on Wednesday last week when we visited, she was crushed.

The map insert last week showed out of Monday through Thursday, there were only shows on Monday (but there were 3 showings then).

http://wendymacblogs.blogspot.com

Comment

• mrmainstreet
                            MiceChatter
                            • Jan 2005

Originally posted by eyes_of_mara View Post

Huh, the advertisement is in Disneyparks style, yet the castle has been changed to the Anaheim castle. Guess someone in Marketing has been listening to all those crazies over at Micechat, huh?
                            That or someone realized that selling a Disneyparks annual passport with a generic castle, may give someone the idea that their AP is good at ANY Disney park around the world, instead of the DLR.
                            You think I'm joking, but I am regularily suprised by some AP holders who have no idea what their Pass entails, despite having plunked down several hundred dollars and being given an informational brochure.
                            The Next Big Disney Thing: starts Jan. 3rd

Comment

• symbolic
                              MiceChatter
                              • Oct 2005

Some seriously great pics of the sub lagoon, the best yet!! thanks MG!!!!!

Comment

• dsnylndmom
                                loves a silver lining
                                • Jan 2005

Great pictures, as always!!! Thanks so much for sharing them

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

Comment

• thmar
                                  MiceChatter
                                  • Oct 2006

A job well done....Thanks!
                                  "Happiness is a state of mind...." Walt Disney

"You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you." Walt Disney

thmar

Comment

• ~*~Aniko~*~
                                    MiceChatter
                                    • Apr 2005

wonderful pictures

GREAT update

thank you!!

Comment

• chadb14
                                      • Feb 2005

great pics thanks for sharing.
                                      it's always nice to see what's going on.

Comment

• DLandFansAZ
                                        .-- . .-.. -.-. --- -- .
                                        MiceChat Round-Up Crew
                                        • Jul 2005

Great update Master Gracey, loved it. Wow, all the construction going on. Whew, I'm glad they aren't slowing now that the 50th is over. Hope you enjoy your new camera as much as I did.

Thanks.......
                                        Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X