This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DLR With Big Guys- A Practical Guide

Can you guys please give me some advice on attractions with Big Guys? I'm taking my 'little' brother for the first time, and the two of us are big. I'm 6'3, he is 6'2 and we're both above 250.

My specific question is, are there some attractions where we should ask for separate cars ahead of time? I don't know how space mtn. etc. works. I know that a regular sized person and a big guy can ride side by side, but what about two big guys?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts, I appreciate it.

Re: DLR With Big Guys- A Practical Guide

BTM might be a tight fit. If you go on Muholland Madness at DCA, youll probably be pretty squished too. If I think of more, Ill come back
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

Comment

do NOT ride on Pooh!!!! The seats there are designed for midget amputees. Like you I'm 6'3" and over 250. When I got on it last year with my nephews, they had the front seat while I look up the entire back row, sitting sideways, with my feet sticking out of the car.
      Growing older is manditory
      Growing up is however, optional

Comment

What is the proper etiquette? Do I ask the CM who is in charge of loading if we will need separate cars, or do they size you up and tell you? I don't care either way, but my brother is kind of shy and I don't want him to be junked out, especially on his first trip to DLR.

BTW, if it helps any, we're in proportion for our weight/height and highly mobile, just big!

Comment

My husband is 6'4" and has had no problem fitting on Pooh.

Comment

When they ask how many, say 2, but that youd like to sit seperately. They most likely will just do what you ask.
            "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by OogieBoogie View Post
              do NOT ride on Pooh!!!! The seats there are designed for midget amputees. Like you I'm 6'3" and over 250. When I got on it last year with my nephews, they had the front seat while I look up the entire back row, sitting sideways, with my feet sticking out of the car.

I make it a habit to always stay away from pooh, in all facets of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by frecky View Post
                When they ask how many, say 2, but that youd like to sit seperately. They most likely will just do what you ask.

Can I ask them to give me all their money?

*Note* I will split it with you Frecky.

Comment

Originally posted by Max Fischer View Post
                  Can I ask them to give me all their money?

*Note* I will split it with you Frecky.
                  If youre gonna split it with me, then heck yeah ask!

Comment

ben, my boyfriend is 6' 5" (not sure about the weight) so this is what he's had problems with...

- ask for the front of the car on space mountain (there's more leg room)

- sit in the front on mullhalland(sp?) madness

thats really all i can think of...ill ask ben when he gets home

Comment

I don't think height causes much of a problem as weight does. I've seen people have trouble in Indy. Anything with a lapbar might be a tight fit... BTMRR / Space Mountain / Mulholland Madness and even Maliboomer / Screamin' might be tough.

I'm 6'1'' / 160 and I've never really had trouble with any rides (especially not Pooh and I ride that a lot because my friends seem to enjoy getting farted on in the Heffalumps and Woozles room)... just a tad of awkwardness getting out at times, but that's mainly because I carry so much stuff with me.
                      Julie Rei

"Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere." - Anton Ego (Ratatouille)

"I suppose you have no choice but to revolutionize the world." -Mikage Souji (Revolutionary Girl Utena)

Comment

We've found (and maybe this is just me and my wife, both 6' 2") that the front of space mountain doesn't have more room. It looks like it does, but the nose is rounded, so your feet end up under your arse. We ask for anthing but the front of space.
                        You can usually see the attraction vehicle before you get on, just ask to sit seperately and you should be fine.
                        "What single word is the name of a magazine, a cereal, a board game, and a never-ending series of soul-crushing disappointments which slowly leech away your hope and idealism until you are nothing more than a bitter husk of a man?"

Comment

I think you'll be fine. 250 and tall is alot different than 250 and short. Space mountain is the only big ride that I can think of that is somewhat small.

Comment

Thanks guys for all the tips, I appreciate it, I think we should be okay, but I just want it to be a really cool trip for him, since he is a rookie and a bit skeptical. (my family wonders why I leave Phoenix several times a year to go to a 'Theme Park'. Yeesh. I must have been switched at birth.

Comment

If the Matterhorn is open when you go, make sure you ask for your own seats ... and the front seats of each car have more legroom.
                              One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

Originally posted by Mouse princess
                              Of course I am worried about your mental health. I want happiness for all. Like we can all be like the Smurfs. But without Gargomel. He was mean.

Comment

Bah, you ain't that big.

Certainly, some of the F'land rides will require one of you in one row and the other in the other row, as they're confortably built for one adult and one child.
                                Everything else will be snug but not too dangerous.

Comment

I'm not tall and neither is my husband, so I can't help you. I also can't help it if I laugh at the thought of you two big brawny men hanging out on Pooh with migo's husband.

Comment

I'm 6'1" and currently 282 (but until pretty recently was over 300).

Here's a rundown of rides where you guys will want to sit in separate seats, and the rides where it's a non-issue. This doesn't mean separate cars by any means, just separate seats in the car. For example, Snow White and Pinnocchio have a front and a back, you guys will want to take one per seat, not try to cram into on another. This is also my opinion, your mileage may vary. I -am- shorter than you, and it must be noted that for a big guy I have a very short inseam: 30 inches, so if you're all legs you may have issues with things like lap bars that I do not, but basketball players ride these things so I doubt it'll be a dealbreaker.

I'll also separate them by 'seating style', as defined below.

'Self Seat' (the car pulls up or rolls along a conveyor, you choose how you sit with little or no CM interaction)

Snow White: one per seat (front and back, one car)
                                    Pinnocchio: one per seat (front and back, one car)
                                    Alice in Wonderland: one per seat (front and back, one car)
                                    Mr. Toad's Wild Ride: one per car
                                    Peter Pan: Two per car (one seat, plenty of room for two)
                                    Casey Jr.: Avoid (tiny cars make it cute for kids and painful for adults)
                                    Dumbo/Astro Orbitor: no first-hand experience, but definitely one per vehicle, max.
                                    Haunted Mansion: Two per car (plenty of room for two in a Doombuggy)
                                    Buzz Lightyear: Two per car (probably a little cramped, but should be no trouble...you can always go one per car and take it double-gun John Woo style)
                                    Winnie The Pooh: Avoid (not because you won't fit, but because it's a total waste of your time since you're over the age of 3)

CM seating (As in, the CM will ask how many in your party, and place you in a particular arrangement.)

Big Thunder Mountain: Not an issue (two per seat, plenty of room)
                                    Pirates of the Caribbean: Not an issue (large boats, though you would have more leg room in the very front, it still isn't worth asking for it)
                                    It's a Small World: (see Pirates)
                                    Storybookland Boats: Not an issue (large boats, you sit where you sit)
                                    Jungle Cruise: (See Storybookland)
                                    Matterhorn: You'll need to specify that you want separate cars. It will probably be easiest just to say that: you are a party of two, but you need separate cars. That usually does the trick without any problems.
                                    Space Mountain: side-by-side seating, so just take whatever row the CM gives you. However, in the old cars, the 'nose' section of the rockets (aka the 'front' of the rocket cars) had more leg room. I have only ridden the new cars once, and the CM told me there was no difference now, so I can't verify that.
                                    Soarin' Over California: Non-issue (large rows of seating, just sit wherever they direct you)
                                    California Screamin' (DCA coaster): Side-by-side seating for two. I found the neck restraints to be uncomfortable because of my height. Others don't, so you won't know till you try. Frankly, this falls under the 'not worth it' column for me, as it's a bland coaster.
                                    Splash Mountain: Non-issue (you stack up in a vertical row in logs, size doesn't matter, just sit where the CM directs you)
                                    Roger Rabbit's Toontown Spin: I forget if this is self-load or if the CM asks your party size. You may want two separate cabs, as they're pretty small.
                                    Monsters Inc: Same as Roger, I forget how it loads, but you'll want front and back of a car, not trying to squeeze into the same row (two rows per car, so you can just have a car to yourselves)
                                    Autopia: Forget about it. The cars just aren't designed for tall people. It's down now anyway.
                                    Star Tours: Non-issue, you sit in rows, the CM will assign to you.
                                    Indiana Jones: See Star Tours
                                    Tower of Terror: See Star Tours
                                    Grizzly River Rapids: Non-issue, sit where CM assigns in large circular raft.

Other thrill rides at DCA: haven't ridden them, so I can't be of any assistance there, but I don't know if you'll even want to bother. The swing ride in the big orange used to have a weight restriction, I don't know what it was/is.

I think that's all of the rides where you have to enter a vehicle, I apologize if I left something out. No matter what, a general rule of thumb is that it's -always- okay to politely explain the seating arrangement you'd prefer to the CM loading the ride. In my experience, it's never a problem, especially if you explain it's because you're big guys. The only place this really has been an issue for me is on Matterhorn, because they tend to try to put two people in one seat, which just doesn't work if you aren't tiny, but you never know when it may pop up.

Good luck, and have a great trip!
                                    Mr. Dark
                                    Writer, Disney geek, madman.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Dark View Post
                                      I'm 6'1" and currently 282 (but until pretty recently was over 300).

Here's a rundown of rides where you guys will want to sit in separate seats, and the rides where it's a non-issue. This doesn't mean separate cars by any means, just separate seats in the car. For example, Snow White and Pinnocchio have a front and a back, you guys will want to take one per seat, not try to cram into on another. This is also my opinion, your mileage may vary. I -am- shorter than you, and it must be noted that for a big guy I have a very short inseam: 30 inches, so if you're all legs you may have issues with things like lap bars that I do not, but basketball players ride these things so I doubt it'll be a dealbreaker.

I'll also separate them by 'seating style', as defined below.

'Self Seat' (the car pulls up or rolls along a conveyor, you choose how you sit with little or no CM interaction)

Snow White: one per seat (front and back, one car)
                                      Pinnocchio: one per seat (front and back, one car)
                                      Alice in Wonderland: one per seat (front and back, one car)
                                      Mr. Toad's Wild Ride: one per car
                                      Peter Pan: Two per car (one seat, plenty of room for two)
                                      Casey Jr.: Avoid (tiny cars make it cute for kids and painful for adults)
                                      Dumbo/Astro Orbitor: no first-hand experience, but definitely one per vehicle, max.
                                      Haunted Mansion: Two per car (plenty of room for two in a Doombuggy)
                                      Buzz Lightyear: Two per car (probably a little cramped, but should be no trouble...you can always go one per car and take it double-gun John Woo style)
                                      Winnie The Pooh: Avoid (not because you won't fit, but because it's a total waste of your time since you're over the age of 3)

CM seating (As in, the CM will ask how many in your party, and place you in a particular arrangement.)

Big Thunder Mountain: Not an issue (two per seat, plenty of room)
                                      Pirates of the Caribbean: Not an issue (large boats, though you would have more leg room in the very front, it still isn't worth asking for it)
                                      It's a Small World: (see Pirates)
                                      Storybookland Boats: Not an issue (large boats, you sit where you sit)
                                      Jungle Cruise: (See Storybookland)
                                      Matterhorn: You'll need to specify that you want separate cars. It will probably be easiest just to say that: you are a party of two, but you need separate cars. That usually does the trick without any problems.
                                      Space Mountain: side-by-side seating, so just take whatever row the CM gives you. However, in the old cars, the 'nose' section of the rockets (aka the 'front' of the rocket cars) had more leg room. I have only ridden the new cars once, and the CM told me there was no difference now, so I can't verify that.
                                      Soarin' Over California: Non-issue (large rows of seating, just sit wherever they direct you)
                                      California Screamin' (DCA coaster): Side-by-side seating for two. I found the neck restraints to be uncomfortable because of my height. Others don't, so you won't know till you try. Frankly, this falls under the 'not worth it' column for me, as it's a bland coaster.
                                      Splash Mountain: Non-issue (you stack up in a vertical row in logs, size doesn't matter, just sit where the CM directs you)
                                      Roger Rabbit's Toontown Spin: I forget if this is self-load or if the CM asks your party size. You may want two separate cabs, as they're pretty small.
                                      Monsters Inc: Same as Roger, I forget how it loads, but you'll want front and back of a car, not trying to squeeze into the same row (two rows per car, so you can just have a car to yourselves)
                                      Autopia: Forget about it. The cars just aren't designed for tall people. It's down now anyway.
                                      Star Tours: Non-issue, you sit in rows, the CM will assign to you.
                                      Indiana Jones: See Star Tours
                                      Tower of Terror: See Star Tours
                                      Grizzly River Rapids: Non-issue, sit where CM assigns in large circular raft.

Other thrill rides at DCA: haven't ridden them, so I can't be of any assistance there, but I don't know if you'll even want to bother. The swing ride in the big orange used to have a weight restriction, I don't know what it was/is.

I think that's all of the rides where you have to enter a vehicle, I apologize if I left something out. No matter what, a general rule of thumb is that it's -always- okay to politely explain the seating arrangement you'd prefer to the CM loading the ride. In my experience, it's never a problem, especially if you explain it's because you're big guys. The only place this really has been an issue for me is on Matterhorn, because they tend to try to put two people in one seat, which just doesn't work if you aren't tiny, but you never know when it may pop up.

Good luck, and have a great trip!

Mr. Dark,

You rock!!!! Thanks so much for the detailed information, I really, really, appreciate it!!!

Thanks!!

MF

Comment

After reading Mr. Darks excellent list, Id have to agree.
                                        Most definately with Roger Rabbit. Im a pretty small woman, and even I have issues getting on and off that ride. The opening on the car to get in is pretty small.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X