• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DisneyDude2006
    Comin' at ya!
    • Oct 2006

anybody go on Indy when it was new?

I read somewhere that during it's first year, Indiana Jones had an awesome special effect. When you go to the bridge, supposedly, Ice blocks would come from the cieling making it look like the roof was coming apart. It was too hard to maintain so they abandoned it after awhile

Anyone ride it when it was like this? Is it true? can you describe it? I love that ride but I didn't go on it till it was over.
    "Pain is temporary, Film is Forever..."

http://www.youtube.com/user/DisneyDude

• mrfantasmic
    • Jan 2005

Re: anybody go on Indy when it was new?

Never saw the darn thing, but that effect is still broken today. (The sound effect for it is still there, as is the hole in the roof from whence the ice came.

Comment

• Coheteboy
      Starcruiser.. crash crash
      MiceChat Moderator
      • Sep 2005

Originally posted by DisneyDude2006 View Post
      I read somewhere that during it's first year, Indiana Jones had an awesome special effect. When you go to the bridge, supposedly, Ice blocks would come from the cieling making it look like the roof was coming apart. It was too hard to maintain so they abandoned it after awhile

Anyone ride it when it was like this? Is it true? can you describe it? I love that ride but I didn't go on it till it was over.

As soon as you enter the large cavern and come face to face with the mara with the bridge in front, there used to be a barrage of ice that fell over the edge in front of you. Special lighting made it not look like ice and the sound effect helped seal the deal in making you think that the place was falling apart.

I definitely miss it because it was a great detail. I hope they figure out a way to bring it back for an anniversary or something.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
      http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
      http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

• mrfantasmic
        • Jan 2005

Why not just have a bunch of heavy foam fall from the ceiling, get fed onto a conveyour belt and then pulled to the top? (There would be a lot of foam rocks)

Comment

• TDR_Fan
          MiceChatter
          • Feb 2006

I remember this effect....it looked sort of like orange rock. Very impressive and the ride just doesn't feel the same without it.
          Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

Comment

• joannabanana
            I'm with Mr. Big!
            • Oct 2006

When you went over the bridge, the fire was much hotter, too!
            "Can't sing but I've got soul." -U2

"I've got soul, but i'm not a soldier" -The Killers

Comment

• MissChristine
              Scentsy Minion
              • Apr 2005

I remember riding the attraction when it you had the time to decipher most of the Maraglyph that was infront of you just before the line moved. I wish I could recall the falling ice, but I honestly don't. I do remember, however, the audio being very loud and the movements VERY rough, and my group came off of the ride with sore necks. Eesh.
              MCDADMCA

^clicky clicky^

Comment

• almandot
                Shubisha
                • Apr 2005

When I went on it and it was new, there was so many things going on that amazed me that if I saw it I don't remember it specifically. I do remember something that when you first saw the temple there was a whole lot of movement around it with jeeps going across the bridge, lava and lighting effects, the laser from mara's eyes, possibly the rocks falling... it was all such an overwhelming sensory experience for me at that young age.

Comment

• Coheteboy
                  Starcruiser.. crash crash
                  MiceChat Moderator
                  • Sep 2005

Does anyone know why they couldn't get Harrison Ford to voice Indiana Jones? The voice they got just doesn't cut it. And it almost makes me deaf when he speaks right after we see Mara.

I recall asking Tony Baxter this a long time ago but I don't know how I forgot what he told me.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
                  http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
                  http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

• almandot
                    Shubisha
                    • Apr 2005

It's reported that Harrison agreed to do it but had a time conflict when they needed to record the stuff.. it had gotten delayed or something from when he had first agreed to do it.

Comment

• 3rdshiftCM
                      I love my family!
                      • Feb 2005

I rode during the CM previews, WOW!

The ride was amazing, time has not been kind though.

Anyway, I still have all the stuff from that night, ticket, translation card and stamped passport.

The ride was such a hit during the cast previews that they gave out passports that were checked when you got on and stamped as you got off, so you only got to once. That was a great night.

The ride was also notorious for downtime when it first opened.

Comment

• LicieOIC
                        Do you think I'm... odd?
                        • Jun 2006

I didn't ride it when it first opened, but my roommate did. She had an annual pass, and so they knew she was there that day and her last name was Jones. Apparently, they pulled up everyone who's last name was Jones to ride it first. And she sat right next to this man whose real name was Dr. Henry Jones Jr. The man was very embarrassed when they found out his name... They gave him a whip and made him wear the hat and they asked him what sort of doctor he was, did he study archeology?
                        And he said, very embarrassed, "Um.. no..."
                        Long pause.
                        CM: "Well, what kind of doctor are you?"
                        Another long pause.
                        Doctor: "I'm a gynocologist."
                        CM: *blink* "...Oh."
                        Ask me to share your fantasies, dear, but don't ask me where tomorrow is
                        Don't ask me where to find happiness, though I know for sure where sorrow is

"A mistake played with hesitance is a mistake. A mistake played with authority is an interpretation." @}--->----

Comment

• frecky
                          itty bitty
                          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by MissChristine View Post
                          I remember riding the attraction when it you had the time to decipher most of the Maraglyph that was infront of you just before the line moved. I wish I could recall the falling ice, but I honestly don't. I do remember, however, the audio being very loud and the movements VERY rough, and my group came off of the ride with sore necks. Eesh.
                          Same here,my mom still has the cards that we used to figure out what was written on the walls. I dont remember the falling ice either
                          "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

Comment

• Truelavender
                            Mom, Mickey has a room??
                            • Apr 2005

They had a annual passholder night to preview the ride. I waited three hours to go on. I remember the falling ice and how hot the fire was. It seemed to me to be a lot more action throught the whole ride. Sensory overload. I have all my passports and code cards too. I haven't ridden it in a long time...

Comment

• PinBrian
                              • Sep 2005

I had my grad nite trip very soon after the ride opened. I remember the ice falling effect, and the wind in the rooms with the hanging skeletons being VERY strong. It was a very much more intense experience than it is now. I still love the ride, but it is a far stretch from how it used to be.

Comment

• blondiethesounds
                                I HAVE A HIDDEN MICKEY
                                • Oct 2006

i think i remember the blocks...what an amazing ride. just the sheer size of the ride is amazing, then you add the special effects and its an instant classic. TDA needs to figure out how to budget more attractions like this for Disneyland AND California Adventure.
                                Did you know that 87% of spoken statistics are made up on the spot?

Comment

• Mac Daddy
                                  Nikon +Disneyland = :)
                                  MiceChat Round-Up Crew
                                  • Jun 2005

Originally posted by frecky View Post
                                  Same here,my mom still has the cards that we used to figure out what was written on the walls. I dont remember the falling ice either
                                  It's been a long time, but I would SWEAR the cards, when translated, said something like "Switch to AT&T." I remember rolling my eyes at whatever that message was. That....and it was the world's longest line. Ever.
                                  Last edited by Mac Daddy; 10-18-2006, 02:06 PM.

Comment

• Doofy
                                    • Aug 2006

I remember the effect. I didn't know it was ice. It has been so long since I had seen it that I thought I must have made it up. For years I have been thinking that this was all in my imagination.
                                    Check out my new Disney Blog here. What it lacks in quality it makes up with... Well, nothing I guess.

Comment

• nish221
                                      Minion FOREVER!
                                      • Mar 2005

Rode it the summer it opened. But I don't remember the ice. I definitely
                                      remember it being more intense than it is now. The mice and the
                                      scarab effects were much sharper (new projectors and film; although
                                      I'll bet that the new digital projectors are pretty good). I also remember it
                                      as being rougher and fire hotter, but that could be just my memory.

I remember being in line a very long time (>2 hours).

Comment

• DisneyDude2006
                                        Comin' at ya!
                                        • Oct 2006

DOes anyone know HOW the effect worked? I mean, im sure the ice would melt. DId they have like a pool at the bottom that it could melt and then drain or something?

I heard the reason it stopped working, was because the hatch that let the ice go, would get rusty all the time from there being water moisture all day.
                                        "Pain is temporary, Film is Forever..."

http://www.youtube.com/user/DisneyDude

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X