This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HotelNeptune View Post
    It's a Disney film... they have a ride based on it at Disneyland... and yet it's not playing at the theater there?
    Well, the theatres at Downtown Disney are owned by AMC, not Disney.

Comment

Re: Nightmare b4 xmas 3D Downtown Disney?

it does not matter who owns what the theater I am going to a theater not owned by Disney but the theaters have to have Digital projection and the one in downtown disney does not have it.
      The earth is round.... or so i've found.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
        it is being shown in 164 theaters and they are all theaters that have digital projectors....
        Tim Burton's 'TNBC' 3D theatre list - prnewswire 10/11/06
        Tim Burton's 'The Nightmare Before Christmas' Set to Debut in Disney Digital 3-D(TM) on October 20th; Tickets Now on Sale!

LOS ANGELES, Oct. 11 /PRNewswire/ -- Fans of Tim Burton's holidayfavorite, "The Nightmare Before Christmas" will have a chance to see the film in a whole new way when it makes its debut in Disney Digital 3-D(TM) on October 20th. The enormously popular stop-motion animated feature,directed by Henry Selick and presented by Walt Disney Pictures, has been converted from its original 2-D format into a stunning dimensional and enchanting 3-D version using the latest advancements in 3-D technology andanimation. It is the first movie in industry history to be released exclusively in Digital 3-D, and it represents the first time in the history of motion pictures that a 3-D feature has been created from an existing animated classic. The film opens October 20th and will play in over 200 theatres worldwide. On the same bill will be a newly rendered digital 3-Dversion of Pixar's delightful 1989 computer-animated short film, "KnickKnack," directed by Oscar(R)-winning filmmaker John Lasseter. Tickets for all engagements nationwide are now on sale at http://www.Nightmare3Dmovie.com.

http://www.micechat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41067
        "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Comment

that part were it says over 200 hundred theaters is not right. All of the movie websites I have gone to today say 168 theaters!

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/schedule/

http://www.the-numbers.com/interacti...hp?newsID=2192

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
            that part were it says over 200 hundred theaters is not right. All of the movie websites I have gone to today say 168 theaters!
            Over 200 theatres worldwide. Don't worry Disney's got it right.
            "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Comment

Originally posted by ALIASd View Post
              Over 200 theatres worldwide. Don't worry Disney's got it right.

Yeah I did not see that part.... lol just woke up. That isnt many theaters in other countries then.... thats sorta sad.

Comment

Another question, then, about this "Real D" (is that the right term?): Can you watch the movie *without* the glasses? Or would the screen be all blurred and double-imaged? My girlfriend tends to get kind of noxious (sp?) during 3-D movies...

Comment

Originally posted by FrumiousBoojum View Post
                  Actually, the IMAX 3D is considered to be one of the lesser 3D systems. Real-D is far superior.

The only thing IMAX 3D has going for it is the size of the picture. Real-D is a much more effective system, giving more room for head tilt, clearer, brighter pictures, and, like most polarized movies, are projected on a silver screen.

IMAX 3D has more in common with anaglyphic movies -- the difference is very subtle, but you are looking through two different colours, something that's much more likely to cause headaches in many people (although not as bad as anaglyph).

Dolby Digital recently created a system based on Real-D technology that lets the images be projected on a normal screen. When they start releasing that commercially, there's sure to be a lot more availability of good 3D at places other than the few Real-D equipped theaters, IMAX, and a few other systems out there.

I am not a fan of 2D to 3D conversion at all. I've seen some impressive examples, but they usually end up looking like they were a conversion. If you're going to have a 3D film, shoot in 3D. It may be a bit more complicated while shooting, but it'll be worth it in the end.

However, from what I saw of the NBC trailer, this looks like it will be a very good conversion -- nothing like the train wreck of Superman Returns. This wasn't a rush job, after all. Superman was an extreme rush job.
                  I know we have gone way off topic here but:

I respectfully would disagree that a Imax 3d 70MM 15 perf film Camera displayed via a Imax 3D equipped film projector would be outclassed by a 35mm film up converted into 3d displayed on a Digital Projector. There just really is no comparison in image quality. Now I would agree that possibly RealD has a great product that offers some features in the head tilt and seat angle view department and less headaches (which never were a problem for me.
                  Not knocking RealD here its a great product, I just do not think it is comparable to true Imax3d shot films.

Comment

Originally posted by CAspace View Post

I respectfully would disagree that a Imax 3d 70MM 15 perf film Camera displayed via a Imax 3D equipped film projector would be outclassed by a 35mm film up converted into 3d displayed on a Digital Projector. There just really is no comparison in image quality. Now I would agree that possibly RealD has a great product that offers some features in the head tilt and seat angle view department and less headaches (which never were a problem for me.
                    Not knocking RealD here its a great product, I just do not think it is comparable to true Imax3d shot films.

I think the difference between the two is film vs digital. The digital projection requires no film reels and is spotless clean. A seamless viewing experience. Anyone who saw Chicken Little in 3D, suffered through a boring film but saw an incredible display of crisp animated 3D. IMAX does use more frames per second than a standard film projector to make it more realistic but you can still get film grain and spots and imperfections if the bulb isn't working properly.

And just because some theaters are showing 'Nightmare' in their IMAX theater doesn't necessarily mean the print is going to be IMAX. Sometimes they project the regular print onto the IMAX screen just for the heck of it.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
                    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
                    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

Originally posted by CAspace View Post

We're speaking 3D quality, here, not quality of details.

The fact is, IMAX isn't made for 3D and so it cannot do a great 3D. That's why it's considered to be one of the lesser systems. IMAX is built with primarily large format in mind, not 3D. IMAX films tend to have a lot of bugs with their 3D systems. On the other hand, everything about Real-D is built with 3D in mind, from the circular polarizers (the best way to view 3D through glasses) to the silver screen, it's all made with 3D in mind. Therefore, when it comes to 3D, Real-D is superior.

What Real-D needs to boost itself a bit more, now, is a great Live Action film shot fully in 3D.
                      -Tim

Comment

Originally posted by Coheteboy View Post
                        And just because some theaters are showing 'Nightmare' in their IMAX theater doesn't necessarily mean the print is going to be IMAX. Sometimes they project the regular print onto the IMAX screen just for the heck of it.
                        I don't believe the Real-D system can be done on IMAX. The Real-D system requires the silver screen to work. Only screens refitted with a silver screen can use it.

Not only that, but I don't think the Real-D projector is capable of doing anything that large.

I doubt that any trustworthy theater that will honor their contracts will be showing the film in their IMAX theater.
                        -Tim

Comment

Another question, then, about this "Real D" (is that the right term?): Can you watch the movie *without* the glasses? Or would the screen be all blurred and double-imaged? My girlfriend tends to get kind of noxious (sp?) during 3-D movies...

She should try the Real-D system. It's the kindest system on the eyesfor 3D.

You can watch it without glasses, but the image will be doubled -- all 3D imagery requires at least 2 images to work. It won't be blurred though...

If she still gets sick, just have her to close one eye. Real-D films have absolutely no ghosting, so it won't be distracting to watch it that way.
                          -Tim

Comment

I don't believe the Real-D system can be done on IMAX. The Real-D system requires the silver screen to work. Only screens refitted with a silver screen can use it.

Not only that, but I don't think the Real-D projector is capable of doing anything that large.

I doubt that any trustworthy theater that will honor their contracts will be showing the film in their IMAX theater.

Real-D or not, some theaters HAVE shown films made for regular screen on IMAX. I've seen it done. I'm not saying it's right, nor do I know why they do it, but it's out there. I'm just saying this to clarify that there isn't an IMAX print of Nightmare Before Christmas floating around so nobody gets suckered.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
                            http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
                            http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

We're speaking 3D quality, here, not quality of details.

The fact is, IMAX isn't made for 3D and so it cannot do a great 3D. That's why it's considered to be one of the lesser systems. IMAX is built with primarily large format in mind, not 3D. IMAX films tend to have a lot of bugs with their 3D systems. On the other hand, everything about Real-D is built with 3D in mind, from the circular polarizers (the best way to view 3D through glasses) to the silver screen, it's all made with 3D in mind. Therefore, when it comes to 3D, Real-D is superior.

What Real-D needs to boost itself a bit more, now, is a great Live Action film shot fully in 3D.
                              Point taken regarding 3-D quality vs. standard image quality. I too am looking forward to seeing a live action film shot in true 3-d displayed on this system as well! Hopefully that will happen soon although I imagine Digital Cinema will have to roll out to many more theatres before this happens. Perhaps they should do a live action "Short" to showcase how cool this would be and show it prior to the current RealD formated films.

I am looking forward to seeing the Nightmare RealD release, I do not have very high expectations for the 3d version considering it was not shot in true 3D only converted although I do think it should be fun.

Comment

Thanks for the explanations about the difference
                                of Imax 3d and Real-D. I never really thought about
                                the difference. Although I did notice the different
                                colored tints in the Imax lens .

As far as whether one is better than the other, I
                                think they are both really good. I did see
                                "Open Season" which did play at a local mini Imax
                                Theater , and the 3-D effects were really good.
                                (By the way, I loved the movie!)

And (unfortunately) I did see Monster House in
                                a Harkins Real-D Theater. This movie just didn't
                                have many moments where the 3-d really made
                                the movie any more fun to watch. But the the
                                whole movie really wasn't all that great to begin
                                with. However, they did have a preview of
                                "The Nightmare Before Christmas" in Real-D, and
                                it was really good! Jack was reaching out, toward
                                the audience, and a little girl about 5 or 6 started
                                screaming.

Now, as far as the AMC Theater in DTD, I have
                                ABSOLUTELY HATED THIS THEATER SINCE IT OPENED!
                                For a BIG chain of theaters to open a theater in DTD,
                                you would think they would design and make it one of
                                their Premiere Theaters in the Country!

You would expect them to be theaters as fine as the
                                refurbished Cinerama Dome in Hollywood, or the Wonderful
                                theater in "The Grove" which has a lobby like a 5 star
                                Hotel!

BUT NO! AMC's crappy little lobby, no bells or whistles,
                                and NOT themed to ANYTHING> Good Grief, how about a
                                Disney theme at the least. The AMC theater lobby where I live
                                is older than that and has large murals of many movie stars
                                over the years. GET WITH IT AMC DTD!!!!!!!!
                                Critter Country's a mess ev'r since the Country Bears were kicked out. Ya can't cover pooh with honey and 'spect people ta like it.
                                An Adventurers It's Time to Put the Spotlight Back on Bring Back the REAL Disney Gallery
                                Life for Me! ~ ~ ~ Melvin, Buff, and Max!!! ~~~~ Dump the Dream Suite!
                                Meese-ka Moose-ka Mice-Chatter!

Comment

Your girlfriend doesn't do well at 3-D movies, but she's going to a 3-D movie anyway? I don't get it.

Originally posted by Aladdin View Post
                                  Now, as far as the AMC Theater in DTD, I have
                                  ABSOLUTELY HATED THIS THEATER SINCE IT OPENED!
                                  I love the DTD theatres. I don't care if it's themed per se. It's clean, the screens are nice, they have a good selection of films, it's not overly crowded, the seats are comfy and stadium, and it's incredibly convenient to be able to catch a movie in the middle of a day at the resort. Works for me!

Comment

, for chrissakes... stroke my entitlement!
                                    In a theater at Downtown Disney? Really now...
                                    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

She should try the Real-D system. It's the kindest system on the eyesfor 3D.

You can watch it without glasses, but the image will be doubled -- all 3D imagery requires at least 2 images to work. It won't be blurred though...

If she still gets sick, just have her to close one eye. Real-D films have absolutely no ghosting, so it won't be distracting to watch it that way.
                                      Sounds good enough for me... thanks for the info! If she can just close one eye (and/or wear a pirate eye patch) if she starts getting sea sick, that should likely work just fine. She really wants to give it a try, but is concerned, again, about the sickness factor. Hopefully we should be okay... I don't want to experience vomit in Real-D... too intense, especially with the surround sound THX pan effects...

Comment

Originally posted by Loomis View Post
                                        They could play the movie in the regular format, and have people dressed in character performing the exact same thing in the seat in front of you.

Mind you, this would be a logistical nightmare if more than one person was in the cinema.

Perhaps I haven't thought this through...

NO, stuff like this is genius. Why does Rocky have all of the fun?
                                        I can see it now, Oogie Boogie's bugs go flying everywhere, out goes my bag of plastic spiders, bwahaha

Comment

Originally posted by cstephens View Post
                                          Your girlfriend doesn't do well at 3-D movies, but she's going to a 3-D movie anyway? I don't get it.

I love the DTD theatres. I don't care if it's themed per se. It's clean, the screens are nice, they have a good selection of films, it's not overly crowded, the seats are comfy and stadium, and it's incredibly convenient to be able to catch a movie in the middle of a day at the resort. Works for me!

The stores AND entertainment in DTD Should be steps above what
                                          shops and theaters have at guests hometown locations. To give
                                          guests just the plain ol' ordinary experience, even in DTD, is once
                                          again Dumbing Down the entire experience for guests, treating them
                                          no more special than what you get in Normal Town, USA. The
                                          experience in DTD should be something special. Now, there are
                                          one or two exceptions to this, i.e. Rain Forest Cafe certainly is
                                          more elaborate and a much nicer building than the one we have
                                          at Arizona Mills, the live Entertainment adds to the experiences,
                                          (that's something we don't always have at the shopping complex
                                          a mile away from my house, we only have it once or twice a week)
                                          At WDW Planet Hollywood built the most unusual building for their
                                          restaurant.

Getting back to AMC, this plain jane theater is an insult to the
                                          whole Disney experience. And when certain enhancements
                                          have made it's way in to every major city in the country, BUT
                                          AMC DTD refuses to get off their @$$e$ and enhance one of
                                          their theaters to show this, THAT is HORRIBLE customer service
                                          when they Refuse to Offer Chicken Little and Nightmare in 3D.
                                          THAT theater is an embarassment! Can you imagine being a
                                          concierge for the DL Hotel or Grand Californian and have to tell
                                          your guests that "No, the theater in DTD doesn't offer those
                                          films in 3-D, you'll have to travel "x" milles away to see it!

Almost sounds like what a few people said about DCA when it
                                          opened : " I don't care if it has a theme, when I visit DL it's
                                          close by, it's clean, and it's not that crowded. " The obvious
                                          exception being the "variety" tee hee hee

Please, if the theaters aren't that crowded, that's the same
                                          type of problem DCA has. IF they would have made it special,
                                          they very well would be drawing more of a local crowd, as well
                                          as attracting more tourists. No doubt, IF they had something
                                          special, the hotels would be much more likely to be bragging
                                          about the Theaters, too. But the way AMC handled it, two
                                          words "LOST OPPORTUNITY"
                                          Last edited by Aladdin; 10-20-2006, 10:00 PM.
                                          Critter Country's a mess ev'r since the Country Bears were kicked out. Ya can't cover pooh with honey and 'spect people ta like it.
                                          An Adventurers It's Time to Put the Spotlight Back on Bring Back the REAL Disney Gallery
                                          Life for Me! ~ ~ ~ Melvin, Buff, and Max!!! ~~~~ Dump the Dream Suite!
                                          Meese-ka Moose-ka Mice-Chatter!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X