• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ess-Eff-Aitch
    I'm listening to KDROID
    • Aug 2005

Re: Your Favorite "Mountain" At Disneyland

Space, almost hands down, though there are fewer things better on which to end your trip to Disneyland than catching the last train of Big Thunder before closing. Matterhorn, almost matches that IMO, but falls just a smidgeon short.
    SFH: Making the world a better place... one satisfied customer at a time.

Comment

• thmar
      MiceChatter
      • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Coheteboy View Post
      Ah, but you have to give it some sort of break because this ride was around while Walt Disney was still alive. Queue theming wasn't a big deal back then.

Matterhorn has the chateau where you split to the left or the right. If they didn't have theming, it wouldn't even match the mountain. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy great theming but I actually like the fact that you're walking around the entire mountain. The scenery is detail enough for me. I can't wait until the subs are up and going too.

One day I was working and this old lady said "I'm so glad Walt was able to find this mountain to build a theme park around." She was dead serious. hahahahah I think walt would have laughed at that remark. His job was done.
      :thumbup: Definately agree...love the quote from the lady!!
      "Happiness is a state of mind...." Walt Disney

"You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you." Walt Disney

thmar

Comment

• Uzmati
        Zero Blockout Dates
        • Mar 2006

Grizzly Peak and the Grizzly River Rafting Company.

It's way beyond time to do something about Tony Baxter's mountains. Great rides back in the day but very outdated and rather ... well, boring. If they can alter or obliterate the work of folks like Mary Blair, Marc Davis and X. Atencio why keep Tony Baxter's "early works" around either?

All of three of these rides have a "Seventies" vibe and feel to them. Crowded, cramped, slower, shorter and less interesting than even the most mundane of coasters being built today. In short their outdated antiques. Prototypes of coasters that were aped, ripped off and finally surpassed by the amusment industry in all aspects save themeing and location.

Tear out BTM and give us Anaheim's answer to Expedition Everest. Get rid of Splash (it's been replaced by the superior GRR) and move it's "Song of the South" AAs to DCA's GRR as an homage to Mr. Baxter. Rip out Space Mountain as part of a massively reimagineered TL ( was he not a lead Imagineer on the laughable TL98?)

Keep the Matterhorn and PLUS that sucker out but replace or massively redesign each of the other mountains one at a time to move them from being museum pieces to being the cutting edge of family entertainment once again.

Imagine ... a whole new world of Disney roller coasters.

JMHO ~ YMMV
        IMO - YMMV - FYIGM

Comment

• Uzmati
          Zero Blockout Dates
          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by JosephTNielsen View Post
          LMAO! I love it! They SHOULD make a mountain ride that combines all of them! Can't you just imagine a goat flying in space while Brer Rabbit and friends yodel? I LOVE IT!
          Well at least it'd be an improvement over the same old "mounatins" we're stuck with now. Gut them one at a time and let a new generation of Imagineers bring them out of their past and into the future.

Be sure to give the team behind "Pooh" a crack at one of them. They've got experience taking classics down and reimagineering the space into something "new"

IMO - YMMV - FYIGM

Comment

• bee1000
            Keepin' it calsteady
            • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Uzmati View Post

It's way beyond time to do something about Tony Baxter's mountains. Great rides back in the day but very outdated and rather ... well, boring. If they can alter or obliterate the work of folks like Mary Blair, Marc Davis and X. Atencio why keep Tony Baxter's "early works" around either?

All of three of these rides have a "Seventies" vibe and feel to them. Crowded, cramped, slower, shorter and less interesting than even the most mundane of coasters being built today. In short their outdated antiques. Prototypes of coasters that were aped, ripped off and finally surpassed by the amusment industry in all aspects save themeing and location.

Tear out BTM and give us Anaheim's answer to Expedition Everest. Get rid of Splash (it's been replaced by the superior GRR) and move it's "Song of the South" AAs to DCA's GRR as an homage to Mr. Baxter. Rip out Space Mountain as part of a massively reimagineered TL ( was he not a lead Imagineer on the laughable TL98?)

Keep the Matterhorn and PLUS that sucker out but replace or massively redesign each of the other mountains one at a time to move them from being museum pieces to being the cutting edge of family entertainment once again.

JMHO ~ YMMV
            Interesting opinions (I won't be the one to call them blasphemous!).

I agree that there are more exciting rides at other parks that make DL's mountains look dated, but I don't think the mountains should be compared to true roller coasters either.

I would love to see them renovated and/or expanded and/or modernized to some degree, so long as they keep their soul. A giant steel contraption with the latest coaster technology will thrill the pants of you, and have a really long line, but that doesn't mean it would fit into Disneyland.

I would encourage the $650 million revitalization plan for DCA to include a classic wooden coater like Magic Mountain's Cyclone clone.

Comment

• Professortango
              MiceChatter
              • Aug 2005

JMHO ~ YMMV
              Sorry, but Im going to deffinately have to dissagree about Splash. Splash Mountain still makes my jaw drop with the amount of detail and wonder put into that world.

And something like Exipedition Everest wouldn't work at Disneyland. The attraction is huge and the park is small. First, the height would overshadow both the Matterhorn and the castle. Second, the size of the building would take up nearly all of Frontierland. And lastly, I have heard mediocre reviews of Everest. The ride is very choppy (small coaster, lift, backwards coaster, stop, fowards coaster, end).

In my opinion, Grizzly Peak is a great looking mountain, but boring ride. Not much to look at, no story, and some annoying surfer voice speaking in Spanish. There is no intellectual thrill, only physical. And the physical isn't that thrilling.

My list of Mountains is: 1.Splash
              2. Big Thunder
              3. Space
              4. Matterhorn

The only changes I would like so see would be:
              Someone how allow Big Thunder out of it's "zone." I always find it visually interesting to see runaway coasters travel over walkways and through many areas.

Add some interesting visual effects to Space. We have awesome stars, but nothing else really. Would love more close calls with planets or celestial bodies.

Also would love an enhanced que for Matterhorn to implement more "fantasy" themes into the ride.
              Last edited by Professortango; 10-23-2006, 04:50 PM. Reason: add
              Women, they make the highs higher and the lows more frequent.

Comment

• VeganPrincess
                Defying gravity
                • May 2006

I really like Big Thunder. It's my perfect coaster - not to fast, not too slow...just the right amount of thrills. It's especially great at night.

What this thread really needs is a poll!!!

Comment

• Uzmati
                  Zero Blockout Dates
                  • Mar 2006

Originally posted by MickeyMania View Post
                  The goat trick is just a term for focusing on a figure at the top of a lift hill. By craning your neck around to look at it, you get some serious whiplash on the turn just after the hill.

Nothing unique or too special.
                  Wow ... and I always thought THIS was the "Goat Trick"

IMO - YMMV - FYIGM

Comment

• Uzmati
                    Zero Blockout Dates
                    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Professortango View Post

And something like Exipedition Everest wouldn't work at Disneyland. The attraction is huge and the park is small. First, the height would overshadow both the Matterhorn and the castle. Second, the size of the building would take up nearly all of Frontierland. And lastly, I have heard mediocre reviews of Everest. The ride is very choppy (small coaster, lift, backwards coaster, stop, fowards coaster, end).

I didn't ask for a clone of the Florida attraction. I asked for Anaheim's answer to it. Time for DL proper (ya know NOT DCA) to get a new coaster.

EE wasn't finished when we were last at AK but the whole thing looks Fantastic, pictures and video look pretty good too. What was the last new E-Ticket for DL anyway? Indy?

At least we agree on something...these Mountains need some kind of update.
                    IMO - YMMV - FYIGM

Comment

• Professortango
                      MiceChatter
                      • Aug 2005

I didn't ask for a clone of the Florida attraction. I asked for Anaheim's answer to it. Time for DL proper (ya know NOT DCA) to get a new coaster.

EE wasn't finished when we were last at AK but the whole thing looks Fantastic, pictures and video look pretty good too. What was the last new E-Ticket for DL anyway? Indy?

At least we agree on something...these Mountains need some kind of update.
                      I don't even know if I can say "need" an update. Big Thunder is awesome and the change was only a "wouldn't it be cool if..." kinda thing.

The only one I feel is needed is Space Mt, but so many others don't agree and are blown away by the current version that my need is trumped by the majoritie's satisfaction.

The only quasi-need I see a general consensus is a que for Matterhorn.
                      Women, they make the highs higher and the lows more frequent.

Comment

• bee1000
                        Keepin' it calsteady
                        • Oct 2006

Wow ... and I always thought THIS was the "Goat Trick"

Ha!

Isn't the internet wonderful? You want a pic of a goat trick and bam! you find a picture of a goat trick.

Comment

• ScarLion
                          MiceChatter
                          • Mar 2006

Big Thunder Mountain, DER!!

Comment

• DisneyFunGuy
                            • Jan 2005

Without a doubt, it would be Splash Mountain! It's fun, it's musical, and it has the old America Sings characters in it. I just wish the line wasn't always so darn long!
                            DISNEYLAND IS YOUR LAND

Comment

• Richard=fun
                              Ultimate Margarita Time!
                              • Sep 2006

Big Thunder all the way...
                              sigpic

Comment

• thmar
                                MiceChatter
                                • Oct 2006

Originally posted by bee1000 View Post
                                Ha!

Isn't the internet wonderful? You want a pic of a goat trick and bam! you find a picture of a goat trick.

Great photo! )
                                "Happiness is a state of mind...." Walt Disney

"You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you." Walt Disney

thmar

Comment

• duckiedianne
                                  MiceChatter
                                  • Aug 2006

Space Mountain!!!!

Followed closely by Big Thunder Mountain.

My best score ever!

Comment

• Alchimedes
                                    MiceChatter
                                    • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Coheteboy View Post
                                    Matterhorn is just awesome because you're in a bobsled! I love riding at night and you go into that fog right from the top of the lift. The snowman, the competing tracks, the water splash ending. And it's a Disneyland original that nobody else ever had makes it that much more special.
                                    ^
                                    ^What he said! I love riding it at night, Both Fantasyland side and the Tomorrowland side. For some reason the Fantasyland side is more exhilarating at night.
                                    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                    Working...
                                    X