Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

MiceChat Rules

A list of MiceChat's rules can be found at the top of the Disneyland forum.
2 of 2 < >

Ad Blockers

Please do not use ad blocking software when visiting MiceChat. It costs money to keep MiceChat online, and ad revenue offsets this. Thank you.
See more
See less

Kingdom Hearts taking place of Fantasmic!?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocker
    started a topic Kingdom Hearts taking place of Fantasmic!?

Kingdom Hearts taking place of Fantasmic!?

This is just my idea: What if Fantasmic! was reinvented, and transformed into a Kingdom Hearts epic special effects spectacular?

• adormouse
    replied
    Re: Kingdom Hearts taking place of Fantasmic!?

I would SQUEE! I love KH and I'm sad Disney has not incorporated any KH into the parks. Although I don't know if Squaresoft would sell the rights to do that. Even if it's not like a Fantasmic show, I would die a happy death if I could see Sora/Riku/Cloud/Leon/Sephiroth at the parks even at the very least as characters. Even if they only did it one day as some sort of special event.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Dark
    replied

Originally posted by Kushana View Post
    The story is relatively straightforward with its message of light vs. dark, good vs. evil and the power of one's heart, all of which most kids are capable of grasping (most kids are far sharper than any adults give them credit for, I swear).
    ...and that story took around 30-40 hours or so to tell completely and then, in Japanese-design style, left enough plot threads dangling to wrap a mummy with. (Hey, trying to be festive and holiday-appropriate.)

There are many reasons why KH gets no love in the parks, but this is a big one: you simply cannot successful explain in a matter of sentences the plot to the game and why anyone should care. Between the Disney universe and the Final Fantasy universe, you have so much background and history to run around in that they include a literal encyclopedia in the game to explain who everyone is, why they are important, and where you may have seen them before. Just try explaining Aerith! 'Well, she's important because she's dead. Well, not now dead, but she was dead. It was important that she -was- dead, because nobody had really done that to a character like her before and didn't give you any option of saving her. But she's not dead here. Well, because it isn't the place she was dead in before. But she's still the same person, and so is Cloud, but they aren't potentially romantically involved like they were before, and that's important because maybe they could be again, which is why they added all these little nods towards a past that they all seem to remember, yet selectively forget. Cloud? Oh, yeah, see, he isn't really Cloud...'

You get the idea.

KH characters getting some love in the parks? Check.
    KH characters getting a float in a parade or some similar features place in the parks? Check.
    KH characters being given some focal point show, parade, or attraction in the parks? No way jose. Not possible to do it faithfully, so all you'd achieve is bastardizing the story for mass consumption in the short form, which would still likely confuse mom and pop from Peoria while enraging, well, people like us who know the games and love them.

Tokyo is the place for this. Oh yes.

Leave a comment:

• Koutesu
    replied

I love Kingdom Hearts. Playing it, it sort of reminds me of Fantasmic. Personally, I wouldn't use Kingdom Hearts as the vehicle for a Fantasmic like show. I think that if they want to use Kingdom Hearts in an update Fantasmic, they should only do one scene.

If they do a scene, they should use villains from later Disney releases not already in the show (like Hades and Jafar) and use King Mickey, Sora, Donald (mage form), and Goofy (knight form). Music is another issue. I don't know who owns the rights to "Simple and Clean", "Sanctuary", or the rumored theme song for the third game. They might be difficult to fuse in Fantasmic's theme.

Leave a comment:

• Disney Analyst
    replied

Just because I haven't ever played KH, or know what it's about doesnt mean I havent heard of it, and been un-interested in it. From what I've seen, it's just another game, a game which does not work for a disney theme park.

Leave a comment:

• Professortango
    replied

Originally posted by Kushana View Post
    So...you don't know what it's about, yet you're qualified to make comments on what it's about? I'm confused.

Seems like most of the "anti" sentiment here is in the form of "Well, I've never heard of it, so it must suck/be totally unpopular and obscure." Both of which are untrue statements.
    We are qualified to make comments because....we are the people who attend the parks. The same reason you have the right to make comments about what you feel is best for Disneyland.

I HAVE heard of it, and HAVE played it and still don't like the idea. All my friends are huge Disneyland fanatics. Yet not one of us cares for KH.

Mickey and villians appeal to Disneyland guests. People expect to see these characters even before entering the park. It is part of our culture. Therefore, a show such as Fantasmic! can appeal to nearly every guest at the park. This is the reason for it's success as well as the huge crowds for shows after how many years?

Kingdom Hearts on the other hand appeals to a much smaller demographic. Gamers who actually enjoy the game. While, this may still be a large amount of people, but it in no way compares to people who know Disney. From my experience, the main demographic for KH players is teenage boys. Yes girls play, as do older people, but the main group is teen boys. Now, which group visits Disneyland the least? Teenage boys. Girls go, adults go, and families go, but as a whole teen boys are less frequent at the resort. And this group, generally speaking, is the least likely to attend shows at a theme park.

Now don't get me wrong. I'm sure a Kingdom Hearts show would work. There will be an audience. But I can bet that it will not compare to Fantasmic!'s appeal. So maybe have a KH day or something at Disneyland, like Bat Day or Gay Day. But taking out a sucessfull show, to spend money to create a less sucessfull show seems kinda backwards.

Leave a comment:

• Kushana
    replied

I dont even know what kingdom hearts is besides a game, I really dont think kingdom hearts is something a ton of people can relate with besides extreme gamers, which I am not among many others.
    So...you don't know what it's about, yet you're qualified to make comments on what it's about? I'm confused.

Seems like most of the "anti" sentiment here is in the form of "Well, I've never heard of it, so it must suck/be totally unpopular and obscure." Both of which are untrue statements. Both KH games sold tons of copies (I'm reasonably sure, though not positive, that they outsold any of the individual Final Fantasy titles here in America) and actually have pretty big followings. They're just not being marketed to death by Disney (maybe because Tetsuya Nomura has the most creative control over it), so you're not inundated with KH merchandise everywhere you go. That doesn't make it some obscure arcane property.

Nor is it inaccessible to little kids. My brother was playing the first game when he was 8 (and beat it before I did, too.) The story is relatively straightforward with its message of light vs. dark, good vs. evil and the power of one's heart, all of which most kids are capable of grasping (most kids are far sharper than any adults give them credit for, I swear).

That said, I personally would love to see a Kingdom Hearts show, but I'm skeptical that it could work for two reasons: 1) the matter of "who can license it for what purpose", as I still think SquareEnix has the final say on such matters, and 2) being able to simplify the story enough so that it could fit neatly into a Fantasmic-sized show.

(Though frankly what they really need for Fantasmic is to make the area in front of the rivers about three times bigger, which isn't even possible. I swear, that show is second only to Sirens of TI at the Treasure Island in Vegas when it comes to the "tiny space with suffocating crush of people uninentionally touching your butt" factor.)

I don't really understand the point of "Nobody will know this and that character". Disney has made original theme park characters before. I know a few who didn't know a character was based from a movie.
    THANK you. This made no sense to me either for that exact reason.

Have seen the "fans" that flock to that game? I've gone looking for information and found, uh, hand-drawn works that look fit for a NAMBLA promotional.
    Oh, good Lord. Please don't make blanket assumptions that all KH fans get off on suggestive character fanart. That's a small fringe, most of them teenagers who do that for virtually any game/TV/cartoon series in existence.

Leave a comment:

• Uzmati
    replied

Originally posted by AbominableSnowman1 View Post
    Terrible idea! Fantasmic! in one of the best shows at the park! I dont think many people would be happy with that no matter what they put in place of it.
    Ah, come on. They're so good at taking away the things you love about the park and replacing them with something wildly inferior. Why should Fantasmic be spared when little else has been?

Leave a comment:

• nish221
    replied

Originally posted by filmfreak11 View Post
    To my understanding, the video game industry is making more money than the movie industry...
    True, but compared to the number of movies, the number of video games is
    MUCH higher.

Originally posted by filmfreak11 View Post
    I don't really understand the point of "Nobody will know this and that character". Disney has made original theme park characters before. I know a few who didn't know a character was based from a movie.
    True, But that's a huge difference from basing an entire show that replaced one that
    is *still* really popular as F!.

Leave a comment:

• Disney Analyst
    replied

I'll hope for a mini-calvacade parade of KH in the American Disney parks and see what the reaction is from the public. Perhaps during October for Halloween.
    The reaction will be a bunch of little kids asking questions as to who those characters are, too find out their parents have no clue.

Leave a comment:

• filmfreak11
    replied

To my understanding, the video game industry is making more money than the movie industry...

I definately don't think KH on a F! caliber level should replace F! in CA. KH for Florida, maybe. But KH for DisneySea, that'd be awesome.

I'll hope for a mini-calvacade parade of KH in the American Disney parks and see what the reaction is from the public. Perhaps during October for Halloween.

Leave a comment:

• Professortango
    replied

Let's let video games be video games and leave it at that. We don't need the Kingdom Hearts show. Which is soooo awesome that it inspires the Kindom Hearts movie. Which is soooo awesome that it inspires a Kingdom Hearts video game.

A good portion of the Disney-going public is not familiar with Kingdom Hearts. By creating a show based on such a discreet market (video gamers who actually enjoy the game) you are looking to alienate a lot of people. My friends and I are perfect video game demographic, love games, but don't really care for KH. Will we go see Fantasmic? Yes. KH show? No. Then you have parents, people who don't like video games, and people who just haven't heard of it. All uninterested. Mickey vs Disney Villians is a simple, wide demographic appeasing, show idea. Anime children fighting monsters, gathering keys, and beating people up with random Disney characters is not.

You have to remember that a lot of people are turned off by video games. My mother for one, a die hard Disney fanatic, just isn't into video games or anything appearing to be one. Many times she's even seen movies and disliked action sequences becuase it seemed too much like a game. So knowing that there are a ton of people like her who wouldn't even care to see a KH show, I think creating one (especially the size of Fantasmic!) would be a flop for Disney.

Leave a comment:

• Baloo
    replied

I reallly like this idea it would be a refreshing twist

Leave a comment:

• MickeyMania
    replied

Originally posted by scorsese View Post
    Square's own characters are not unimportant to the story, and often times aren't merely cameos but main characters. Sora is a Square character, and happens to be the main character of the entire series.

edit- Well to be fair, Square created Sora but he and others in the game might be classified as Disney characters now.
    Sora and his two friends are owned by Disney. I'm talking about crossover characters from other video games.

Originally posted by Coheteboy View Post
    You know what though... a Kingdomhearts show or something may get those non Disney fans to come out and check it out... only to fall in love with the place. That's always a good thing right?
    Depends. Have seen the "fans" that flock to that game? I've gone looking for information and found, uh, hand-drawn works that look fit for a NAMBLA promotional. Don't know who those people are, but if they're Disney fans then they're giving responsible Disney fans like this board a bad name.

Leave a comment:

• sorceress1986
    replied

Originally posted by Coheteboy View Post
    I have a better idea, let the Disney studios in floriday have that show. I love me my Fantasmic CA version.
    THANK YOU!

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X