Announcement

Collapse

Your Assistance Please

We need your help to battle spammers and also to keep our community user friendly.
PLEASE BE KIND TO OTHERS - Refrain from personal attacks. Avoid politics and harsh language whenever possible. If someone is violating our simple rules, DO NOT confront them, simply report the post.
STOP SPAMMERS - Report the post. DO NOT respond to them.

2017 is a year of renewal for us, we have lots of exciting changes on the way for you, but we don't have time to deal with trolls and spammers. If you find yourself suspended and need to plead your case, you will need to do so after your suspension. We are happy to address your concerns if you made a simple mistake. However, please note that those with a history of bad behavior and pushing our rules to the limit will not be given the courtesy of a reply.

MiceChat offers a number of ways for you to communicate and get involved. We offer Facebook Groups and Pages, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest accounts. We have a front page filled with amazing content. We offer weekly meetups in the parks. Meets and events all over the world. Podcasts and videos. And we continue to maintain forums for your posting convenience. But with all those options, we can't be everywhere all the time. We need YOUR help. Please don't poke the trolls. Report posts and leave reputation. We'll do our best to keep the forums clean and active, but we can't do so without your help.

Thank you for your support folks, it's going to be a really fantastic year in the MiceChat world.
See more
See less

Imagineers -- An Average Day?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imagineers -- An Average Day?

So, I was reading the thread on what Indy was like when it was new... and how it was so completely Kick-A$$ when it first opened, and how it has been neglected over the years. It got me to thinking about the daily routine of an Imagineer.

The general consensus is that Disney does not fix things unless it can be done with little effort, or if it can be marketed to he masses as new bling!

My question is.. WHAT THE HECK DO IMAGINEERS DO ON AN AVERAGE DAY??

If NEW E ticket attractions only come once every decade or more, and rehabs are being done in a minimalistic fashion, what do you think the imagineers are actually spending their time on? Certainly, they cant be designing Nemo-type attractions every day. Sadly, I also doubt they are working on cool new features for plussing existing attractions all the time.

As a teenager, I had always wanted to become an imagineer. I thought it would be a job where you dreamed up the most awesome rides and effects (with extra awesome) that you could. I imagined having access to endless tools and gadgets. You would use your engineering know-how -- along with good ol'-fashioned creativity -- to push the boundaries of awe-inspiring entertainment.

As an adult, I invision this much differently. I'm sure Imagineers get caught up plenty of corporate politics. (Drama over who gets to use the Red Swingline and such.. ) There is probably far too much paper work going on for them, and too little creativity. The constant threat of out-sourcing to companies like Intamin. But, do they just push pencils or design a bunch of rides that never get made??

From the time an Imagineer gets out of bed, puts her shoes on and goes to work until the time she returns back home. WHAT THE HECK ARE THEY DOING???

(Side-note to Al or Dusty: It would be cool to get a Q&A article up with an actual Imagineer, either past or present. You could get questions from the chat groups ahead of time, and interview them yourselves with a the best selected questions. Imagineer anonimity would be fine too, if necessary.)
    Ryborg

Re: Imagineers -- An Average Day?

From the little I know, most all theme park designers work from project to project. Some projects last 18 months to several years.

With some of the legends, I guess they've just been moving from project to project for years.

However, there is an incredibly short life-span in the industry given the nature of work for hire.

However, is the Disney situation different? Are Imagineers 'on staff' or simply re-hired every time there is a project?
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

Comment

Originally posted by ryborg View Post
      My question is.. WHAT THE HECK DO IMAGINEERS DO ON AN AVERAGE DAY??
      Take two-hour lunches at Glendale Galleria and cruise eBay for collectibles?

Read the discussion boards on their laptops while hiding under their desks, waiting for their team's latest proposal to get the green light while desperately trying to avoid the Pink Slip Faerie?

Stick pins in their Rasulo voodoo dolls while chanting, "Lasseter barada nikto!" over and over again?

:whistling
      "Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSkyDriveBy View Post
        Stick pins in their Rasulo voodoo dolls while chanting, "Lasseter barada nikto!" over and over again?

:whistling
        LOL!!

Here's a random "klaatu barada nikto" page for you:
        http://www.zug.com/gab/index.cgi?fun...hread_id=64475
        Last edited by RenMan; 10-24-2006, 07:30 AM. Reason: added URL

Comment

Hopefully, they're at least trying to come up with new things...

That's one thing that I know that happens at WDI. They try to push for something to happen, they get their work rejected a lot...

There's 11 parks, plus hotels, entertainment venues, cruises, and outside contracting -- that's certainly enough to keep them busy full time.
          -Tim

Comment

I wonder how much money is budgeted for maintenance of attractions, and whether a certain amount is set aside for each or if there's just a general fund that gets doled out. Seems that in Walt's day he made upkeep a priority. You'd think that maintenance cost would get figured into the financial calculations that are made when designing a ride.

It's sad if they make a big financial push to build something but don't plan on maintaining it.

Comment

Imagineering will come up with ideas, develop them, pitch them and see them trough to build, but after that, the individual parks own and are responsible for maintainance.

So you can't blame imagineering for a rides ongoing maintainance problems.
              VISIT my sketchblog: M54

Comment

Imagineering does a lot of R&D as well. Lucky the Dinosaur was the result of a good 5 years of R & D and they are working on taking Lucky to the next level. They research new lighting methods, ways to make fire better, new fireworks (i.e. cubes, and pneumatic launch systems that are steerable, electronically initiated timed fuses on fireworks), new ride systesm (before they have a ride to use them in). A LOT of time and money goes into R & D stuff that we won't see for years because it simply does not exist in a form that is useful in a themepark.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Comment

Most Imagineers can be found in some abandoned parking lot...sitting around a trashcan fire...roasting potatoes on clothes-hangers...wondering where it all went wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Opus1guy View Post
                    Most Imagineers can be found in some abandoned parking lot...sitting around a trashcan fire...roasting potatoes on clothes-hangers...wondering where it all went wrong.

LOL:thumbup:

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Yendorb View Post
                      Imagineering will come up with ideas, develop them, pitch them and see them trough to build, but after that, the individual parks own and are responsible for maintainance.

So you can't blame imagineering for a rides ongoing maintainance problems.

I know I wasn't blaming Imagineering for a rides ongoing maintenance. I chalked that problem up to the larger Disney corporation...
                      Ryborg

Comment

Sitting in a circle chanting to the Pagan God Imaginos, the God of Imagineering?
                        I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X