X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neverlandtink
    replied
    Speaking of Matterhorn, does anyone have a subscription to The E Ticket? The latest issue has a great article about it, as well as pics of the inside (including the basketball court) and track layout. It's old, I agree, but you can't deny it's a classic!

Leave a comment:

• eyes_of_mara
    replied
    Most "extra space" is actually crucial backstage area.

Leave a comment:

• melmel
    replied
    Originally posted by Wendy_Bird
    there is also a whole lot of extra space right behind splash mountain... that should be taken advantage of....
    No, not really. O_O

Leave a comment:

• Wendy_Bird
    replied
    you cant dig right infront of the matterhorn to buil a sub terrainian que... that path is a retaining wall for the sub lagoon and such... it is a crucial element... I do think that the lines need a little work just because they are in direct sun light... not because they are too long..

I like the uncle remus idea... i think it would help the ride... but all of critter country neeeds work... there id nothing there... I mean you have one amazing ride and one semi-decent ride... and then a shop filled with pooh stuff... it isnt pooh land... i think that the shop should be rearranged and then add another ride... or even bring back CBJ... that would really be nice... i miss that show... there is also a whole lot of extra space right behind splash mountain... that should be taken advantage of.... and what if they do connect toontown and critter country... i think that they could just go under the train... like how the train goes over now...

Leave a comment:

• Disney Vault
    replied
    Originally posted by ModHatter
    See, I have had the experience of walking by the like and thinking it is just too long to bother. I wonder if that's a testament to how well-themed the exterior is, that it feels like you've walked halfway around a mountain to get to the start of the line.
    That is so true.

Leave a comment:

• ModHatter
    replied
    Originally posted by eyes_of_mara

As for most of the rest of you - What ride are YOU going on? Even when the ride queue is completely full, the 2 lines last for about 30 minutes each.
    See, I have had the experience of walking by the line and thinking it is just too long to bother. I wonder if that's a testament to how well-themed the exterior is, that it feels like you've walked halfway around a mountain to get to the start of the line.
    Last edited by ModHatter; 05-14-2005, 06:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Druggas
    replied
    Originally posted by Ghostbuster626
    The original 50th. plan was to redo:

-Space Mountain
    -Jungle Cruise
    -Haunted Mansion
    -Pirates of the Caribean
    -It's A Small World

They are still in the process of revamping them. They would have been all done on schedule but Eisner and Cynthia Harris took to long to leave
    How true. Now is the beginning of the new improved DL.

Leave a comment:

• eyes_of_mara
    replied
    Originally posted by Reagan
    Don't change the Matterhorn - it's perfect right now. Except maybe an restyling of the exterior of the bobsleds.
    Thank You.

As for most of the rest of you - What ride are YOU going on? Even when the ride queue is completely full, the 2 lines last for about 30 minutes each.

Leave a comment:

• Reagan
    replied
    Don't change the Matterhorn - it's perfect right now. Except maybe an restyling of the exterior of the bobsleds. OK, change it just a little, but that's it. And I second the comment that fastpass is not needed for it.

-Reagan

Leave a comment:

• ModHatter
    replied
    Originally posted by robotpirates
    Yep, Mod! They play a bit of music as you go around and then you splash down into the show building.

The thing about Critter Country is that it is so compact that it doesn't take that sprawling type of "man this place is neglected" feeling like Tomorrowland does, so I think that's why a lot of the attention is being focused on TL. A good overhaul of the place, not short "fixes" like Pooh are the correct remedy for the land in general...

The one thread that was posted maybe 2 weeks ago about connecting Toon + Critter Country... I hope they somehow consider going outside the berm and restructuring everyhing without interfering with DLRR.
    Well, glad my memory isn't as corrupted as I thought! Yeah, that'd be a perfect time to have some onboard narration, especially on the lift hill, like they do with the big flume. You could run the music under it, and talk about the Briar Patch and the folks you're about to meet, and then the narrator will tell you to "drop on in" right before the flume.

Yeah, Tomorrowland was more obvious. It really did start falling apart like a domino set-up. But they have either just opened or are about to open enough attractions back there to hold them for a while, and with the Chevron thing supposedly ending in 2010 or so, that's a good time to pull back on Tomorrowland and do something with Critter Country.

I mostly agree about DRR, though again, if I were drafting a long-term plan, I'd put a new station somewhere near Hungry Bear, similar to the station near Splash in WDW. Less bottleneck, AND once it's complete, you take out the New Orleans Square station and use that for a third NOS attraction... Okay, never happen, but it'd be one heck of an opportunity.

Leave a comment:

• robotpirates
    replied
    Yeah, that's where I was thinking of, but it feels like so long since I've been on it, I wasn't confident if I was remembering right!

But yeah, I think I'm also concerned about that area, certainly more than the Festival area, just because I know backstage can be restructured to eventually create a sort of FrontierToonCritter area outside the berm over, say, 20 years. At least the Festival area serves SOME purpose sometimes, but most of Critter Country looks decent but does nothing. Pooh was theoretically supposed to fix that, but didn't cut it, so it's been in the same boat as Tomorrowland '98.
    Yep, Mod! They play a bit of music as you go around and then you splash down into the show building.

The thing about Critter Country is that it is so compact that it doesn't take that sprawling type of "man this place is neglected" feeling like Tomorrowland does, so I think that's why a lot of the attention is being focused on TL. A good overhaul of the place, not short "fixes" like Pooh are the correct remedy for the land in general...

The one thread that was posted maybe 2 weeks ago about connecting Toon + Critter Country... I hope they somehow consider going outside the berm and restructuring everyhing without interfering with DLRR.

Leave a comment:

• ModHatter
    replied
    I'm a proponent of a Bambi ride.

The narration could work... I realized that once you leave the log station, you have a good minute or two of getting to the actual show building to get the narration started. I'm sure this is what you're thinking of, and I forgo it! :bow: Anyway, I think it would be good there instead of just floating along...

Critter Country + the eastern side of the park really need some fixin's.
    Yeah, that's where I was thinking of, but it feels like so long since I've been on it, I wasn't confident if I was remembering right!

But yeah, I think I'm also concerned about that area, certainly more than the Festival area, just because I know backstage can be restructured to eventually create a sort of FrontierToonCritter area outside the berm over, say, 20 years. At least the Festival area serves SOME purpose sometimes, but most of Critter Country looks decent but does nothing. Pooh was theoretically supposed to fix that, but didn't cut it, so it's been in the same boat as Tomorrowland '98.

Leave a comment:

• robotpirates
    replied
    I wonder if it wouldn't be possible to do a more elaborate reworking of the Critter Country theme. For instance, Splash has those little plaques with lines from SotS in part of the queue. How would it be to supplement that with an actual reading of those lines? Then, after your log leaves the station, onboard speakers pick up the story and lead you to the first drop into the world of Brer Rabbit.

Similarly, you could use some of the narration from Pooh to augment what's already there. Make Critter Country not just about... critters, but about storytelling that uses critters to teach us about ourselves.

And rather than using the Hunny Hunt technology for Pooh, use it for the Bambi attraction, using Felix Salten's book to create a unifying critter/storytelling theme.
    I'm a proponent of a Bambi ride.

The narration could work... I realized that once you leave the log station, you have a good minute or two of getting to the actual show building to get the narration started. I'm sure this is what you're thinking of, and I forgo it! :bow: Anyway, I think it would be good there instead of just floating along...

Critter Country + the eastern side of the park really need some fixin's.

Leave a comment:

• Liquidspaceman
    replied
    Originally posted by ah schucks
    Thats why I noted the direction of the POTC where they buried the queue slightly, dig down 20 feet in front of the Matterhorn, so you march down before you go up and your building is only slightly higher than the exsisting outdoor building now housing the line.

I might add the line is set up poorly by the obvious lack of a fast pass. Only E-ticket without one that I am aware of.
    That was my thought exactly! There is enough room in front of the Matterhorn to make it a little "hilly," that is dig out a big area, so the hills won't be so big and add some "Swiss Chalet" Vendor booths, etc. Go all the way to where the boat area is, or whatever is there now, with the theming. Make it a Swiss Village that one might see from Walt's movie, "Third Man on the Mountain." Remember, the Mountain was always in the background from the village? So, when you are in the middle of the village, you get a great view looking up at the Matterhorn. Maybe the queue area could go through some of the scaled chalets and an "alpine forest" to break up the waiting time.

Leave a comment:

• Lore
    replied
    HISTA turns Space Mountian from a photo op to a photo flop. I say remove the Pizza place and put a 3D movie there if you must. For those who remember Space Mountain before Captain EO, it was a sight to behold.

Leave a comment:

• ModHatter
    replied
    Upgrading Pooh to the calibre of the one in TDL would be a good upgrade. Plus some sort of narrative flow... that ride is so wonky and changes so fast I'm left reeling.

And the Uncle Remus narration is a good notion in theory, but isn't the ride too fast? You go through those show scenes pretty quickly IMHO.
    I wonder if it wouldn't be possible to do a more elaborate reworking of the Critter Country theme. For instance, Splash has those little plaques with lines from SotS in part of the queue. How would it be to supplement that with an actual reading of those lines? Then, after your log leaves the station, onboard speakers pick up the story and lead you to the first drop into the world of Brer Rabbit.

Similarly, you could use some of the narration from Pooh to augment what's already there. Make Critter Country not just about... critters, but about storytelling that uses critters to teach us about ourselves.

And rather than using the Hunny Hunt technology for Pooh, use it for the Bambi attraction, using Felix Salten's book to create a unifying critter/storytelling theme.

Leave a comment:

• robotpirates
    replied
    See, for me, I'd rather see that kind of investment made in the rides themselves, not the queues.

Back when you had Fantasyland Autopia and MBC, that was your theming. Transportation and exploration. When Disneyland is being treated properly, you're grateful for the chain and snake approach, because it gives you a chance to enjoy fantastic views of the park even when you're in line.
    True. I think they just need to fix it up so wait times aren't as crazy as they are. Then again it is an E-ticket, but I don't know waiting 45 min-hour is worth the ride. It's nice that you get to see the ride.

I think the idea for Autopia on the People Mover track could make an excellent ride. Maybe snazzy, futuristic "hover cars" plus incorporate ModHatter's Dash idea in the Tron tunnel...

Upgrading Pooh to the calibre of the one in TDL would be a good upgrade. Plus some sort of narrative flow... that ride is so wonky and changes so fast I'm left reeling.

I like the Pizza Port. It's tasty and cheapish, but maybe they could move it over somewhere else (perhaps my dream Innoventions take down could house this and another attraction) and replace it with a new E-ticket.

HISTA needs to be replaced with a new movie, not another stage.

Basically, this is the same stuff we've always argued/pondered.

And the Uncle Remus narration is a good notion in theory, but isn't the ride too fast? You go through those show scenes pretty quickly IMHO.

Leave a comment:

• ModHatter
    replied
    Originally posted by ah schucks
    Yes because chains screams great theming! Big thumbs up to WDI. The queue building could be renovated to provide the same length of waiting, with story theming, without over baring itself on the scale of the ride and it would be a far superior experiance to chains and metal fences that we have now...
    See, for me, I'd rather see that kind of investment made in the rides themselves, not the queues.

Back when you had Fantasyland Autopia and MBC, that was your theming. Transportation and exploration. When Disneyland is being treated properly, you're grateful for the chain and snake approach, because it gives you a chance to enjoy fantastic views of the park even when you're in line.

Leave a comment:

• ModHatter
    replied
    Originally posted by Dirton
    Walt would scoff at your post! We can't live in the past. Walt wanted Disneyland to always grow and change.
    I think the point Merlin was making was that change isn't always positive. If you have an E ticket, and made it a C ticket, returining it to the E ticket it was would in fact be an upgrade.

Walt didn't believe in change for the sake of change. He supported progress, change for the sake of improvement.

For instance, I wouldn't necessarily change DCA back to a parking lot. I'd spend that money paying some top people to put the Disney magic in it. The rest of the ideas definitely sounded like a change for the better. I'd also scrap Nemo and spend that money upgrading the Subs with post-1959 technology.

Beyond that, I'd say the ride most in need of an upgrade is Autopia. As soon as legally possible, even if it means compensating Chevron to get them out early.

Here's a new thought... Is there enough room to fit an Autopia car on the old PeopleMover track? You could dramatically reduce land use for Autopia and free it up for new attractions, and you could make it a real Freeway of the Future befitting the kind of attraction it set out to be on opening day.

Leave a comment:

• robotpirates
    replied
    Originally posted by Jspider
    it's an early ride I don't expect a Indy esque que for it
    It really needs an update, just for logistical loading and unloading purposes. It's just terrible.

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X