X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fantoongal
    replied
    As far as a sick out goes, I didnt know anything about that. I know locally there have been convos in individual locations about that, but I never knew about anything parkwide or about anything on the 5th. I could just be out of the loop though.

Yes, we do get the overtime pay and the double time. So it's totally legal. And most of the time it's only given to those who volunteer to work the overtime.

And as for CR30, it basically doesnt exist anylonger. As well as part-time. There is no such thing. It's pretty much, full-time, CR, CT. That's it. A lot of the flexibility that used to come with it is gone.

The "reasoning" for the lines, was to create a more stable workforce. It would mean that you would know who you were working with, and where you were working. It was supposed to make stuff easier. But I havnt seen it being successful yet. As far as I can tell, it's made things worse. And the voting situation, it wasnt that we were tricked into voting yes; which i'm sure happened with some; but they only had the voting on one day. They did have it in three locations (1 in dl, 2 @ dca), and they had it on a friday from like 8-4. Normally they do these things with three days of voting, so this was literally making the voting so they could get the results they wanted. This situation favored fulltimers who had been at dca, but wanted to get more hours, or come back to dl....these were the people who were intially going to benefit, and that's how the voting was setup. I personally had school, and couldnt get there in time to vote. So I had no voice in the contract. (hence me not feeling bad about complaining, seeing as how i had no choice)

Thanks for all the support! If you guys really wanna help us, try emailing our fabulous VP Mary Niven with your concerns. Check out this thread Someone should be fired! Poor food service 5-5-05

Leave a comment:

• dlrfanatic
    replied
    Originally posted by SuperDisneyDad
    This sounds like a labor law violation. 12 hours 7 days a week? Anyone familar enough with the labor laws that could comment.
    No its not illegal they just pay time and a half for anything past 8 hours (double time after 12 hours), time and a half for anything over 40 hours, and double time for the 7th day in accordance with CA labor regulations for overtime pay. And having a friend in foods it was very true that all the cms in the foods dept were given crazy schedules like this last week to cover both the expected call ins for may 4th and 5th as well as general understaffing. And WHY exactly is there a need for line scheduling? The current system that other depts use is fine, thank you.

As for the changes such as turning B and A status cms into essentially CR30s...that is just wrong that theyd do that to you guys (And too bad you guys got tricked into voting yes for the contract).

Leave a comment:

• Gn2Dlnd
    replied
    There was a sick-out on the 5th. Am I correct, Fantoongal? Dissatisfaction with the current contract? I overheard this (after a 40 minute wait for food at the Riverbelle), and verified it with a longtime friend of mine in custodial. PI was a media holding area, and maybe Horseshoe, but nothing was going on at Zocalo. Just a suit, recommending Stage Door.
    Our own little taste of "Black Sunday."

I don't think it will happen again on the 17th, though I could be wrong.

Leave a comment:

• awinnett
    replied
    I spent a year working at Pizza Port (R2P2).

I still have very fond memories of all the people I worked with. i am glad to see that they still take a lot of pride in what they do.

That was fun, challenging, and rewarding 14 months at R2P2. Even if it was just serving up overpriced Italian food, we still knew we were creating a magical experience.

Leave a comment:

• SuperDisneyDad
    replied
    Anyone know if this is a labor law violation?

[rant] Yep...she was right. If you look at the foods schedule it's full of 12 hour scheduled shifts, 6th day and 7th day. We're being worked like crazy. Last I heard, we had about 2,500 CM's in parks foods (dl & dca). We're normally at something like 3,200. So we're very understaffed. We've also had issues with a new contract, and losing our land locks, which has made a ton of cm's mad! SO we've had lots quitting, and we've been on hiring freeze, so nobody new was coming in until about a month ago. Plus we're piloting a new scheduling system of line schedules, it's complicated so i wont bore you, but yea. Brand new stuff...so it's a tough time for us, and the geniuses running the company thought it would be smart to do all of this right before the 50th!!! [/rant]

I'll stop now.....sorry!
    This sounds like a labor law violation. 12 hours 7 days a week? Anyone familar enough with the labor laws that could comment.

Leave a comment:

• fantoongal
    replied
    Originally posted by melmel
    Yikes, is the food situation THAT BAD? Am I going to have trouble staying as an HH at the Blue Bayou? Where the heck else would they put me?!
    Yes, unfortunately foods is no longer land locked. We're not even park locked. You could be scheduled at other locations, but lucky you...since you hired into a table service, you will pretty much stay there. So if you do get scheduled somewhere, it will probably be Carnation, Ariels Grotto, The Vineyard...stuff like that. I work in quick service (counter resturants) and qsr's, odv, and bussing are all one group, so i can go anywhere...

Originally posted by Fantasmic_Freak
    Also i was taling with a foodservice cm at junior chef and we were saying how long the lines were the 5th, she had jsut got off working a double and 12 hours of OT, and now was working again, she said before harris left alot of cms were getting tired of being out in odvs with no umbrellas and were getting exhaused, so about 25 precent of foodservice cms quit before matt came in, so right now she told me to get a job in foodservice to help out because they still are 25% understaffed. Thus explaining the suit with food, very nice!
    [rant] Yep...she was right. If you look at the foods schedule it's full of 12 hour scheduled shifts, 6th day and 7th day. We're being worked like crazy. Last I heard, we had about 2,500 CM's in parks foods (dl & dca). We're normally at something like 3,200. So we're very understaffed. We've also had issues with a new contract, and losing our land locks, which has made a ton of cm's mad! SO we've had lots quitting, and we've been on hiring freeze, so nobody new was coming in until about a month ago. Plus we're piloting a new scheduling system of line schedules, it's complicated so i wont bore you, but yea. Brand new stuff...so it's a tough time for us, and the geniuses running the company thought it would be smart to do all of this right before the 50th!!! [/rant]

I'll stop now.....sorry!

Leave a comment:

• Biotron2000
    replied
    Originally posted by fantoongal
    Seriously...we have been trying in foods. We are seriously under staffed, and a lot of promises made to us are being broken, morale is very bad for us. There are some who are "Whatever it's just a job" But there are also a lot of Disney nerds who are trying to make it a good experience for the guests, even with our limited resources...

anyone who had an issue with foods...i apologize, on behalf of all dl/dca foods.
    I could tell CMs were working hard. The sheer number of guests would have overwhelmed most establishments. I didn't blame Disneyland at all; we chose to go that day knowing it would be packed. No one forced us.
    The food was good, BTW, and the time I spent in line allowed my wife to secure a table by the river!

Leave a comment:

• Fantasmic_Freak
    replied
    Iwaited an hour for pizza port and when i got up to the pasta station a suit asked what kind of pasta do i want and he said ok now i will fix it and and get it out to you, and bam right away i got it after a cm fixed it, thank you sir! Also i was taling with a foodservice cm at junior chef and we were saying how long the lines were the 5th, she had jsut got off working a double and 12 hours of OT, and now was working again, she said before harris left alot of cms were getting tired of being out in odvs with no umbrellas and were getting exhaused, so about 25 precent of foodservice cms quit before matt came in, so right now she told me to get a job in foodservice to help out because they still are 25% understaffed. Thus explaining the suit with food, very nice! Also alot of things were closed like the Golden Horseshoe and Rancho del Zocalo for the media and press interviews. Less ODVs out because of guest control that sorta stuff. it was a blast though!

Leave a comment:

• XCLIPSE129
    replied
    What tripped me out the most... there was a line to get into Club 33.. I was waiting for our table at Blue Bayou and saw a line into Club 33. Thsi wasnt connected to the stand by line for BB.. CRAZY!!! Never seen that B4...maybe the elevator broke and no one wanted to walk. And reservations for that day were booked b4 BB even opened.. I love the 60days reservation thing..hahaha
    Last edited by XCLIPSE129; 05-11-2005, 05:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• melmel
    replied
    Originally posted by fantoongal
    Seriously...we have been trying in foods. We are seriously under staffed, and a lot of promises made to us are being broken, morale is very bad for us. There are some who are "Whatever it's just a job" But there are also a lot of Disney nerds who are trying to make it a good experience for the guests, even with our limited resources...

anyone who had an issue with foods...i apologize, on behalf of all dl/dca foods.

ps: According to my buddies over at Village Haus the lines werent too bad. They said the lines were never out the door, and the longest wait they had all day at the counter was like 20 min, which lately is amazing for us. Hiding in the middle of the park is a burger place that everyone forgets about.
    Yikes, is the food situation THAT BAD? Am I going to have trouble staying as an HH at the Blue Bayou? Where the heck else would they put me?!

Leave a comment:

• fantoongal
    replied

ps: According to my buddies over at Village Haus the lines werent too bad. They said the lines were never out the door, and the longest wait they had all day at the counter was like 20 min, which lately is amazing for us. Hiding in the middle of the park is a burger place that everyone forgets about.

Leave a comment:

• Morrigoon
    replied
    Oddly, I had actually suggested that to people that day as a "it's at the furthest reaches of the park..." Luckily, they disagreed and we went to R2P2 instead.

Leave a comment:

• Biotron2000
    replied
    Hey! I was in that first photo! And that line...my words to my wife were as follows: "Let's eat at the Hungry Bear; they're never busy".

Oops!

Leave a comment:

• melmel
    replied
    Food is 1/5 of Disneyland's profit.

Eat at the Blue Bayou, for a couple dollars more, you get free sourdough rolls and free refills, and they get you in and get you out quick (within 30 minutes)!

Leave a comment:

• SuperDisneyDad
    replied
    It's clear that some real effort needs to be put into standardizing Point of Sale systems, so that they allow food workers to move from place to place, as they are needed. Training needs to be improved and generally, morale issues need to be addressed.

The food quality needs to be improved. The food concessions are probably a huge profit center and therefore, this business needs to be taken seriously. People will spend more money for a quality product.

I belive that the improvements made to the park have greatly improved the brand image of Disneyland. I think this is the reason for the surge in merchandise sales. People want to buy into the brand image of something they like.

Merchandise sales and food sales are probably the biggest profit centers for the park. Improving both of these will increase profits.

Better food + merchandise + better park = more profit. Got it food managers?

Leave a comment:

• SomeSayImGoofy
    replied
    Originally posted by SpokkerJones
    Jesus Christ, I'm glad I don't work there anymore.
    Amen.

(you were praying, right?)

Leave a comment:

• DarylF
    replied
    I wonder if the people in those photos realize that they are in a line for food, and not a ride?

Leave a comment:

• SpokkerJones
    replied
    Jesus Christ, I'm glad I don't work there anymore.

Leave a comment:

• melmel
    replied
    Well, my friend who works in food told me that there was recently a union dispute and 350 people in foods quit. They're currently reqorking a new contract. That's the only reason I can come up with for why food lines were so long. Also, Rancho del Zocalo and Plaza Inn were closed, and a DLR rep told me it's because they took those CMs and replaced them in other places where they were more necessary... maybe they took one or two people from all food positions?

Leave a comment:

• BigPigletFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Gregmh48
    July 17th should at least be a little better as all CT cast members will have returned to augment the cast in taking care of higher guest counts.
    Or so we can hope, right? Personally I'm backing a mini lunch and buying some candy to keep me going all day.

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X