This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is with DCA??

i dont really understand why everyone dislikes DCA. I really enjoy it and can spend mopre than a full day there... there is a lot to do and lots of things to see... I even enjoy the atmosphere for the most part... mind you it isnt DL... what what can be?... nothing can compare to its glory... just wanted some input on the subject.
    -Miss Wendy Lynn

The second star to the right
    Shines in the night for you
    To tell you that the dreams you plan
    Really can come true

I too enjoyed DCA for what it is. I kept reminding myself.."this is not DL, this is not DL..." and actually enjoyed it. However I do believe some oportunities were lost in designing the park, thanks to those budget restrictions... and the only thing I would change is the over abundance of carny rides and those midway games.

Comment

You're not alone, Wendy_Bird. I personally think there are several really good attractions in DCA. The problem is that the Disney Quality mark clearly isn't there on most of the park. But how can everyone hate a place that has the Muppets? And I never miss going on Soarin'. Never.

I hope that once Mr. Ouimet gets DL back on her feet again he can pay some attention to DCA and make it more of a Disney Theme Park and less of a restructured state fair. It needs more Disney and less California...unless they consider putting a wave pool in, and that would be kinda cool.
      "...you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." --Obi-Wan Kenobi

Comment

i dont like the games either but it does fit the conney island idea... however that isnt really Cali now is it?
        -Miss Wendy Lynn

Really can come true

Comment

As far as California Adventure goes, I think that the people in charge of its creation could have done a better job, and that we as consumers deserved better. What I don't like is getting pandered to by DisCo (heh, disco) - I'm not going to pretend for a second that DCA is equal to Disneyland, or should even be judged on a different scale. Why couldn't we have a TDS, or an Epcot at least?!? Very disappointing. But I'm still hoping that it will become great. Nobody's stopping it

Comment

DCA is hardly a full day. While the entrance to Paradise Pier reminds me of Dark City, the rest of the park is based too closely on present day, offers little fantasy, and is surrounded by hotels instead of a burm. The best rides are movie rides which are not very repeatable and the lands are weak. I did spend a whole day there when it opened, but now it feels like a re-run of a made for TV movie.

Comment

The problem with most peoples views on DCA is perfectly answered in TFLFAN's repsonse. It's not Disneyland. It was never meant to be Disneyland. It never will be Disneyland. I don't understand what's so hard for this concept to be understood. In Florida they have EPCOT and the MGM/Disney Studios. Neither of these parks are "The Magic Kingdom" or "Disneyland" or even related in any way, and people going to the parks down their don't whine and complain. Only here do we have people who seem to think that every Park Disney builds, must be Disneyland Reborn, or something like that.

I love DCA, it has wide walkways. It has lots of things to look at and enjoy. It has some clever attractions and shows. I see a few things that over the years need to be tweaked, just like Disneyland was tweaked during it's first years. Oh Heck, it's being "tweaked" to this very day. So, take DCA for what it is, a great place to get away from the crowds at Disneyland, sit and drink a cool Ice Cream soda and watch the funny people rush by to nowhere in particular, and then stroll around. The rides arn't going anywhere. The will still be there when you get there. It's a very calming and enjoyable place to go. And once again, it was never meant to replace or copy Disneyland, ever.
              Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

Comment

When ever I go to DCA i can think of a hundred ways to spend my day... I love walking into the park and hearing beach boys and such... I think that the majority of the park it very disney-fied... I think that the atmosphere it very well maintained... I start my day out by grabing a fst pass to either TOT or GRR... then I head over to soaring... go to the single rider line and go on that... then I head back over to the back lot and do muppets 3D... as well as the Animation building (i could sit in there for hours)... then I do TOT... head over to GRR about mid day and do that... then it is off to bug land... I know that I am 18 but i love to play in the giant hose and I love the flyers... then I take a spin on heimlich and it is off to the tours... i love free samples and the whole process of how it is made it totally cool... then I am off to the golden zephers... love thoes things... a few spins on mullhollun madness... then a quick splash on the SS Rusty... I love the Orange Zinger... off to the Malaboomer... then over to screamn... and the I go and watch the Electrical parade... (i was there when it left disneyland... cried my eyes out)... and hit up my Favorite rides before heading home...
                -Miss Wendy Lynn

Really can come true

Comment

>>The problem with most peoples views on DCA is perfectly answered in TFLFAN's repsonse. It's not Disneyland. It was never meant to be Disneyland. It never will be Disneyland. I don't understand what's so hard for this concept to be understood.<<

Clearly it's not Disneyland... but what IS it?

Comment

Amazing what has happened in the last four+ years...

What could have been WestCot, delivered DCA... at the same time, Tokyo Disney Seas Opened to awesome reviews...

What did Anaheim get? A bunch of execs saying that they were going to have to send folks to Disneyland since DCA would be sold out multiple days.... Oops, a park that focused on food and merchandise instead of attractions got very little positive comments!

Go back and check out Al Lutz comments at in 2000 and 2001....

The fact they thought they didn't have to sell ParkHoppers (except to Disney owned hotel guests) and that most folks would pay full price... then in less than a year, they changed the AP Program, from DL only tickets, or 2 parks at $50 to $100 more, to JUST 2 parks at the OLD DL only price... that was the first time that DCA got some serious attendance!!

Failed promos like the Music Series and the X-Games thing.

And while they have added a few things, they have also taken away some great stuff like Eureka! and Blast!

The fact that Disney tried to sell a special 2 day ticket at just a few dollars more than a single day, one park ticket... It was ONLY when Disney came up with the "Pay for DIsneyland, get DCA for FREE!" ticket that it caught on! (The vast majority of SoCal folks refused to pay even a few dollars more, and opted for the DL only ticket).

I prefer Knott's, USH, SeaWorld San Diego and SFMM over DCA. And based on what other folks have said, I think I am in the Majority. If DCA wasn't right next door to Disneyland, its attendance would be in the gutter....
                    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Comment

Originally posted by Wendy_Bird
                      i dont like the games either but it does fit the conney island idea... however that isnt really Cali now is it?
                      Actually, California does have real beachside amusement parks/carnivals like that. The most famous one (I think) is the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk. I think Paradise Pier is supposed to be based on that. I've been to the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk and it reminded me of DCA, except DCA's version is bigger, newer, and cleaner.

Comment

Last edited by Michelle; 09-25-2005, 08:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Emiko
                          Actually, California does have real beachside amusement parks/carnivals like that. The most famous one (I think) is the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk. I think Paradise Pier is supposed to be based on that. I've been to the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk and it reminded me of DCA, except DCA's version is bigger, newer, and cleaner.
                          There's also the Santa Monica Pier.

Comment

When I went to DCA in 2001, I had so much fun! It was amazing! Lot's of stuff to do, and lot's of fun... I do see it needs changing, but so did disneyland when it first opened. Things don't happen over night, like with dl, it opened, they had to change things aswell... DCA is still a baby, it needs time to grow, but if were gonna nit-pick it and pull it's cheek, it will think it's a baby forever, and never grow up (hehehe) Give it time people!

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
                            ~

Comment

Originally posted by Evan-500
                              When I went to DCA in 2001, I had so much fun! It was amazing! Lot's of stuff to do, and lot's of fun... I do see it needs changing, but so did disneyland when it first opened. Things don't happen over night, like with dl, it opened, they had to change things aswell... DCA is still a baby, it needs time to grow, but if were gonna nit-pick it and pull it's cheek, it will think it's a baby forever, and never grow up (hehehe) Give it time people!
                              But i'm impatient.

Comment

Well then walt shall smite you!

~

Comment

Originally posted by Darkbeer
                                  I prefer Knott's, USH, SeaWorld San Diego and SFMM over DCA. And based on what other folks have said, I think I am in the Majority. If DCA wasn't right next door to Disneyland, its attendance would be in the gutter....
                                  DARKBEER -- As I enjoy my Amstel Light, I'm reading your post.

Thanks for the summary, you're totally right. DCA is not even as well themed, emmersive or exciting as any of the above listed parks. It needs to decide which of the above it wants to be, and compete with it... or go a whole different direction.

Right now it's the overflow park next to Disneyland, it exists as a bonus for Annual Passholders and hotel guests to get TofT, Soarin' and Screamin' in on a Disneyland day. I would never drive to Valencia or San Diego to visit a stand alone DCA.

Comment

DCA does good with hotel guests so they can see what they missed the first day plus see other bonus stuff (it may amaze you APers to hear that not everyone can mechanicaly see everything in one day especialy normal guests who will take their time and occasionaly become confused, DCA is still alright for them)

TDLfan is right though alot of tourists fans liked it but were just slightly bugged by the carny (not too much but they figured hey next time I go it'll be totaly different *these are people that visit like once in five-seven years from around my town*)

I have read most of Al's archives and found them quite interesting

ontop of other things I'd say another flaw was the advertising

which at least in my neighborhood was very brief and really didn't discribe the park it simply said "check out the park right next door to Disneyland" and I was like, yes and? and the commercial never said anything

it was months later that I went to Disney's official website to read up on what I might wanna do

I was sad to discover that I could count the things I'd want to try their on one hand (though it took me a long time to find out SSL was a darkride)

overall I think DCA's slowly made it's way up to being reasonable

some things have changed others haven't but these newere additions seem to have lots of redo value so who knows

edit:

I also thought I should note that while I do perfer parks like Seaworld, Seaworld is just kinda in a catagory all it's own for me I mean it's not really a themepark is it but it's not a zoo

it's Seaworld I generaly don't combine trips I make to California and see both Disney and Seaworld

however I shall be buying hopper tickets this summer
                                    "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

Comment

I was bored when I went to sea world...

~

Comment

Originally posted by Emiko
                                        I grew up on Belmont Park in San Diego (I am a native San Diegan (actually Ocean Beach), and have always have a San Diego City address!!!! But I have been to Balboa Pier, Santa Monica Pier and the Santa Cruz Boardwalk... and Paradise Pier is NOTHING like those locations....

I love to go to the seaside locations, and glad they still exist.... the PP area in DCA is one of the worst areas in the park!
                                        Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X