This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quote from Stinkerbell...
    ...Seriously, you've got the huge entrance to the Disneyland parking lot, with the enormous sign saying "Happiest Place On Earth". And if you turn around, there's a crummy little miniature golf course. It's attached to a motel, and I always think that the kids in that motel probably burst into uncontrolled sobbing when they get told that today, they're not going to see Mickey and Goofy. Instead, they get to go golfing. While watching hundreds of cars going to the Happiest Place on Earth.

You reminded me that my family would arrive at "The Happiest Place on Earth" the evening berfore we could visit "The Happiest Place on Earth," so we would do the next best thing- Play MiniGolf which was a scaled down version (both physically and monetarily) of "The Happiest Place on Earth! It was a nice segue to the next days activities in "The Happiest Place on Earth!"
    We also had another tradition. My parents would take my brother and I on the Monorail for a "Taste" of "The Greatest Place on Earth!"
    Which reminds me, can you still take a round trip on the Monorail from the hotel anymore? It was so cool to be treated like "Royalty" sitting in the nose of the Monorail exclusive to just my family!
    -Silent Sentinel of the Deep-

We've enjoyed having you aboard on this
    adventerous voyage through Liquidspace...
    our last frontier on the planet Earth.

Comment

Originally posted by Flaming Cabin
      I've heard about it..themed to the park and all. By the DH hotel. It sounds so great!..all those balls!!!
      This goes back a ways, but there was a Disney themed course across the strreet from the Disneyland hotel. On the oversized park maps it was in the location of the heliport. The holes were themed to the rides. They had a sculpted miniature Matterhorn with tiny bobsled runs the ball would follow to different greens. There was Nature's Wonderland, Peter Pan,Main Street Station, Rocket to the Moon with a crater shaped hole, and many other fun ones. WED must have helped design it. A scorecard from there would be fun to revisit. I used to have one.
      The nice thing was that there were ways (and now there are more) to do something Disney if you could not afford to go into the park (like me). You could even ride the Monorail for like $2.50 in the back nosecone round trip.
      "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

Comment

Hmmm......I can honestly say, I wouldn't even bother playing miniture golf....YOU HAVE DISNEYLAND RIGHT THERE!!!!
        Beautify Yourself

Comment

Originally posted by Derekuda
          Hmmm......I can honestly say, I wouldn't even bother playing miniture golf....YOU HAVE DISNEYLAND RIGHT THERE!!!!

Agreed. But golf was cheaper. In the winter, DL closed at like 6pm, so there was nothing to do at night, or if you were like me you couldn't afford to go in all the time (pre AP), the mini golf was fun just the same.
          "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

Comment

Yes, there was a minature golf course across the street from the Disneyland Hotel. Played there many times. I really miss it.

There was also a small minature golf course just south of what is now the Ramada Inn Maingate (Saga Inn).

judimouse
            judimouse

Mousefest 2008 here we come

http://www.tinkstravel.com

http://www.dlresortinfo.com

Comment

Many of you probably don't realize that the park was closed on Mondays and Tuesdays for many years during the off-season.
              "America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between." Oscar Wilde

Comment

Originally posted by Cousin Orville
                This goes back a ways, but there was a Disney themed course across the strreet from the Disneyland hotel. On the oversized park maps it was in the location of the heliport. The holes were themed to the rides. They had a sculpted miniature Matterhorn with tiny bobsled runs the ball would follow to different greens. There was Nature's Wonderland, Peter Pan,Main Street Station, Rocket to the Moon with a crater shaped hole, and many other fun ones. WED must have helped design it. A scorecard from there would be fun to revisit. I used to have one.
                The nice thing was that there were ways (and now there are more) to do something Disney if you could not afford to go into the park (like me). You could even ride the Monorail for like $2.50 in the back nosecone round trip.
                Great detailed description, and accurate

i have a ticket for the round trip ride in the monorail tailcone...which cost $1.00 originally, and before this special treat ended cost $2.00.

the miniature golf course, the Disneyland Hotel heliport and a large driving green and strawberry field (now Mickey and Friends parking structure). This was all off of what was then Cerritos Avenue and between West Street and Walnut Avenue...Cerritos Avenue became the entrance road for the DLH and DTD parking.

what seems to be confusing some folks in this thread is that we are talking about TWO different miniature golf courses.

Yes, there was also another miniature golf course on the east side of the Park...at the intersection of Harbor Blvd and Freedman Way. Across the street was the massive marquee for Melodyland, which used to have top name entertainment.

When Leo Freedman passed away, Melodyland was sold to a church which retained the name, and The Freedman Forum opened near Broadway and Anaheim Blvd.

Opposite the Disneyland Main Entrance on Harbor Blvd and Freedman Way was the miniature golf course and the Anaheim Hyatt Hotel, now called the Anaheim Plaza.
                sigpic

Comment

yes, I played there several times. It was a fun and great miniature golf course. Very orignal in layout and play.
                  Plague Of Vampires | A Novel by Eric and Elizabeth Gerds:

Buy Now at Amazon

Comment

Was across on Harbor on the corner that now takes you into the Dineyland parking. Great place but is now gone! I think the hotel next to where it was is now a Ramada Inn
                    When it's time to go home and visit...It's time to go to Disneyland!!!

Comment

[QUOTE=101 Dalmatians Rule]
                      Originally posted by Crazy Legs
                      Hi guys well there was a mini golf course that was across from the park on Harbor. Golf n Stuff.I did work there.

Did a motel own the minature golf place or was it only located next to a motel?

Just next to it.
                      :crazylegs

Comment

Originally posted by Jspider
                        well if you look at old aerial photo's I've noticed that there's some building near the Paradise Pier hotel (though ti wasn't called that then) that are now gone (replaced by parking lot just like a couple hotels were destroyed for added space for the Timon lot)

I remember a couple motels being there and a Godfather's Pizza.

Justin

Comment

I love mini golf, and one themed to disneyland would be fun

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
                          ~

Comment

I remember the course, My parents have pictures of me "cheating" by me running ahead and placing my ball next to the hole... I was a kid, and I thought my parents couldn't see me... It was just so difficult and my father would taunt me by playing better than me... I had to find an angle...

Ahhhh... That takes me back....

Thank you for restoring that memory... I almost completely forgot all about it...
                            Check out my other blog:

Comment

<3 mini golf!
                              My Roadtrip Photos

Comment

Originally posted by Liquidspaceman
                                Quote from Stinkerbell...

We also had another tradition. My parents would take my brother and I on the Monorail for a "Taste" of "The Greatest Place on Earth!"
                                Which reminds me, can you still take a round trip on the Monorail from the hotel anymore? It was so cool to be treated like "Royalty" sitting in the nose of the Monorail exclusive to just my family!
                                While you can occassionally get to sit in the nose again now, you must have a Disneyland admission to get past security checkpoint to board the monorail in DT Disney. And Al says with reduced monorail capacity only hotel guests are allowed to enter the park through the DT Disney station.

The station is exactly where it was during DL Hotel's glory days but some of DL Hotel's out buildings were removed for Downtown Disney.

Does anybody know if the DISNEY owned mini gof courses Fantasia themed I think work out for them in Florida? Is it worth it to add to Paradise Pier or DL hotels?

Comment

omg mini golf!!! i used to live at the golf n stuff at the firestone exit!! and i remember the course across from the park..and i think at one time MelodyLand had a small course in the front also

Comment

WOW!! I never thought there was such knowledge out there on this particular minigolf course! Thank you all for helping sort out my childhood. I don't really remember the other courses people have been talking about, but what an interesting thread.
                                    :bow: :bow: :bow:

Comment

Originally posted by jaybee
                                      There was a mini golf place just north of the DH back in the early 70's. It was nothing special which is probably why it didn't last long and was paved over for a parking lot. In this aerial view from the 80's, it would be the little parking lot just north of Monorail station in the crop field.
                                      http://rotocat.tripod.com/dl/dl_overhead.jpg
                                      Also, Thank you Jaybee for the great aerial photo! :bow:

Comment

I too am i big fan of mini golf, so wouldnt it be great if they had mini glf at one of the disneyland hotels or at DTD! Just a thought?
                                        Putting the um in forum. Um...

Comment

It would be perfect for the tiny popcorn CMs too
                                          "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X