This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the "FOD Problem" in Soarin'?

This question hardly necessitates an entire thread but I've got to know!

When you enter Soarin', the following slogan is printed on the left-hand side: "Only YOU have the answer to the FOD problem."

What is the FOD problem?
    Last edited by missmonkey; 11-15-2006, 04:40 PM. Reason: The sign is on the left only if you're walking in backwards.

Re: What is the "FOD Problem" in Soarin'?

Foreign Object Damage according to several websites I googled
    VISIT my sketchblog: M54

Comment

FOD (Foreign Object Damage) is defined as: Any damage attributed to a foreign object............Typically, it is an aviation term used to describe damage done to an aircraft due to collision with small foreign objects. Small, in this case, is anything smaller than another aircraft.

It may also refer to "Foreign Object Debris" as in "Check Shoes for FOD". Aircraft carriers have regular FOD checks in which the flight deck is examined for any objects which might cause damage.
      The sign was probably from a Aircraft carrier or Air force base, reminding people to remain alert and take responsibility to remove and be aware of any small objects on the tarmac or flight deck that could cause FOD/damage to an aircraft.

Comment

Thank you!

I forgot to Google [insert forehead smack]. In my defense, I did search the MiceChat archives first. . . :blush:

Comment

I can tell you, having worked on a flightline, that FOD is a continuous problem that is taken very seriously. We regularly walked the tarmac and picked up every last pebble, paper, bottlecap, etc. that made it out there. There usually wasn't much to pick up, but we always found something.
          -Osky

Originally posted by sleepyjeff
          Before we totally disregard extremism; lets remember the lesson of the 3 little pigs.

The moderate pig lost his house to the wolf too
          .-- .. .-.. .-.. / .- -. -.-- --- -. . / -... --- - .... . .-. / - --- / - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - . / - .... .. ... ..--..

Comment

When I first read that, I thought 'Friend Of Dorothy'?!? What does that have to do with Soarin'?
            Mr. Dark
            Writer, Disney geek, madman.

Comment

I remeber it as "foreign objects of destruction". The Air Force reservists go on "FOD Walks" on the tarmac at the local airport before flying the FA-18 hornets.
              Charlie :wave:
              MiceChat User #1037

Comment

Why couldn't it be, "Flying Over Disney"?

Comment

Originally posted by cal4iri View Post
                  Why couldn't it be, "Flying Over Disney"?
                  How exactly is "Flying Over Disney" a problem?
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DarkRider View Post
                    It was just a stupid comment hence the shy face................

Comment

Originally posted by Osky View Post
                      I can tell you, having worked on a flightline, that FOD is a continuous problem that is taken very seriously. We regularly walked the tarmac and picked up every last pebble, paper, bottlecap, etc. that made it out there. There usually wasn't much to pick up, but we always found something.
                      How bad could the damage be? I've heard of geese getting sucked into engines during flight and I can immediately picture the damage. But, knowing nothing about flying, it's hard to imagine what a pebble or FOD attached to a shoe can do.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkRider View Post
                        Well, it was for a while when the FAA made them no fly zones!

It may also be a problem if you didn't think you were supposed to be flying over Disney.
                        I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

Comment

Isn't it still a no fly zone except for helicopters?
                          -Jack :geek:
                          Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

Comment

Originally posted by hollywood1939 View Post
                            Isn't it still a no fly zone except for helicopters?
                            I think it is, actually. I wasn't sure of the current situation, so I just said "for a while".

A while could still mean now!
                            I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

Comment

I agree. Its a no fly zone, expect for helicopters.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X