Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DCA's Tower of Terror.

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #41
    Originally posted by Disneyfreak
    They need to make the lobby scarier like have some kind of light effect where it simulates lightning storms outside. They did a nice job with the detail of the lobby but the wow effect is missing.

    Not at all! I love the 1930's look of it! I wouldn't change a bit. Maybe make it bigger, but that's all. I think the sort of abandoned concept is just fine. (Well, maybe that, and I still remember the first time I rode it! I did NOT need any more fright element than I got with the boiler room!!!)
    "Somebody need me too much; somebody know me too well. Somebody pull me up short, and put me through hell, and give me support for being alive. Make me alive. Make me alive! Make me confused; mock me with praise. Let me be used. Vary my days. But alone is alone, not alive. Somebody crowd me with love, somebody force me to care. Somebody let me come through, I'll always be there as frightened as you, to help us survive being alive."
    --"Being Alive"
    Company Stephen
    Sondheim

    Comment


    • #42
      besides the exit hall deal there isn't anything technicaly wrong with ToT's theming (well maybe the beginning backwords motion of it but that's about it)

      in fact they were aiming at making enhancements on it over WDW's your just not realizing what kind of enhancement those were

      they were working at fixing the rides major breakdown points and increasing capacity

      the problem with this was they focased so much so on that problem that they cut down on the ride time

      the mirror effect was a great idea and it works well with the plot however the ride just seems to run through everything and kick you out nice and fast

      ultimatly though it's great for what it is and once they add random drops it will be superb


      don't look for Tokyo to have anything significaly better or longer ride wise then DCA because they're getting the exact same building and ride structure so the only thing they can do is improve the theming (DCA's only plot/theming weakness being the exit hall)

      I believe Paris is also getting DCA's tower


      and even with the exit hall you are in fact exiting through the workers maintenance hallway or whatnot it's not like a decorative hallway that guests would go in or anything

      from what I hear you need to look around more carefully and you'll see elmements that show that it is were the workers go (so the only real problem is the fact that the hallway is right after elevator doors o_O)
      "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

      Comment


      • #43
        What 'is' there to help theme up the exit hallway? It's themed to what it's supposed to be. In hotels there is always maintainance back stair rooms like this. What would someone suggest put in it to spruce it up?

        Comment


        • #44
          Originally posted by Disneylandrocks55
          What 'is' there to help theme up the exit hallway? It's themed to what it's supposed to be. In hotels there is always maintainance back stair rooms like this. What would someone suggest put in it to spruce it up?
          actualy I was saying that it's fine

          I would say that they should however move the Elevator doors back so they're in the hallway and not youknow opening up elevator doors and then a hallway to the elevators youknow?
          "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

          Comment


          • #45
            Originally posted by Jspider
            actualy I was saying that it's fine

            I would say that they should however move the Elevator doors back so they're in the hallway and not youknow opening up elevator doors and then a hallway to the elevators youknow?
            Oh yeah, I know. I wasn't talking to you, me and you posted at the same time.

            Comment


            • #46
              Originally posted by Jspider
              don't look for Tokyo to have anything significaly better or longer ride wise then DCA because they're getting the exact same building and ride structure so the only thing they can do is improve the theming (DCA's only plot/theming weakness being the exit hall)

              I believe Paris is also getting DCA's tower
              Yes, Paris is getting a DCA clone. Tokyo is definitely NOT getting a DCA clone--it is getting a completely different ride and building.

              Find concept art and pictures of the actual building as it is now at the bottom of this page: http://www.screamscape.com/html/tokyo_disney_.htm

              Note that it is being built for a much higher pricetag than DCA's version, and should have a lot of improvements. Its cost is $120+million, more expensive than both ultra-expensive Mission: SPACE and Expedition: EVEREST rides.
              -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
              I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

              Comment


              • #47
                Originally posted by pyrateslife4me84
                Yes, Paris is getting a DCA clone. Tokyo is definitely NOT getting a DCA clone--it is getting a completely different ride and building.

                Find concept art and pictures of the actual building as it is now at the bottom of this page: http://www.screamscape.com/html/tokyo_disney_.htm

                Note that it is being built for a much higher pricetag than DCA's version, and should have a lot of improvements. Its cost is $120+million, more expensive than both ultra-expensive Mission: SPACE and Expedition: EVEREST rides.
                I still think the ride is a clone, just a rethemed clone. I don't think the extra 30 million is going into the ride itself. I think it's for the grounds, the building [Ok isn't ToT TDS made of brick while ToT DCA isn't, wouldn't brick cost more? I have no idea] and the cost of the retheme in general (story, props and what have you). I don't think it will have any super awesome changes, just cosmetic ones.

                Edit: I was under the impression that ToT in DCA cost 90 million, I've since heard it cost about 75 million. Either way, I still think the ride itself will be the same, even if it does have some grand new effects.
                Last edited by SpeMarX; 05-15-2005, 06:39 PM.

                Comment


                • #48
                  I think the exit hallway could look a little more... old. You know, scorch marks, cracks, maybe some spider web. I think that it could look a little more like it hasn't been used for years. I do think that it's fine the way it is, and is themed properly, but I feel that right now it could look like they just didn't bother theming it to the average guest. Make it a little more obvious that it's supposed to look like a maitenence hallway.

                  Comment


                  • #49
                    I don't know that the average guest is going to think too much about an exit they walk out of in less than a minute. Besides, some people think that the "old" look defies Walt's basic principle that your exteriors look pristine, and you let the show happen on the inside, a la Haunted Mansion.

                    For me, I like the notion of the Hotel looking old and decrepit on the outside. WDW played even more with that, but a)DMGM has tons of space to do big gardens and whatnot, and DCA doesn't, so I'd rather see that land used for more attractions and not queues, and b) especially with the modern California theme, it's unrealistic to allow a real Hollywood Hotel have that big a footprint. That real estate would have been subdivided, leaving only the hotel and a postage stamp worth of yard around it. Tourists who go see the real Hollywood will probably understand and appreciate that thematic choice.

                    But with the exit hallway... for a family park, I think it's appropriate to have that moment like after a scary movie at the theater... The movie ends, and the lights come up, and you see that no one is lurking in that dark scary corner, and everything is all right again. Plus, you want it to be clean and look in good repair. You want to return the guests to the park where everything is Neat and Pretty and ready to start the show. Once the ride is over, having it look scorched, dirty, and run-down will blur the line between the Show Elements, and just looking like a dirty dun-down themepark.
                    See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
                    78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

                    "There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

                    "A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

                    -- Walt Disney

                    Comment


                    • #50
                      Originally posted by ModHatter
                      b) especially with the modern California theme, it's unrealistic to allow a real Hollywood Hotel have that big a footprint. That real estate would have been subdivided, leaving only the hotel and a postage stamp worth of yard around it. Tourists who go see the real Hollywood will probably understand and appreciate that thematic choice.
                      Except that the Hollywood Tower Hotel was supposedly built in a time when Hollywood had TONS of space, not now. In fact, the WDW version says 1907. A bit early for Hollywood, but nevertheless....

                      Comment


                      • #51
                        Originally posted by pyrateslife4me84
                        Yes, Paris is getting a DCA clone. Tokyo is definitely NOT getting a DCA clone--it is getting a completely different ride and building.

                        Find concept art and pictures of the actual building as it is now at the bottom of this page: http://www.screamscape.com/html/tokyo_disney_.htm

                        Note that it is being built for a much higher pricetag than DCA's version, and should have a lot of improvements. Its cost is $120+million, more expensive than both ultra-expensive Mission: SPACE and Expedition: EVEREST rides.
                        yes it is

                        all sources have said it will have the exact same elevator shaft design

                        watching the construction also confirms this

                        like others have said the money will probably go towards theming

                        or maybe because DCA's Tower is built partialy underground which might be tougher to do on the landfill that is the land that TDS is built on
                        "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

                        Comment


                        • #52
                          I don't know, I kind of like the Exit slowly bringing you back to reality- not just jolting you into "everything's fine, lights on" mode. You know, kind of like Indy's exit- it starts out sort of dark, but by the end is pretty light, and you gently emerge back into Adventureland. True, you may be returning into a Theme Park where everything sould be "neat and pretty", but the area you are returning to (around ToT) is still supposed to look somewhat creepy. I think the exit needs some sort of themeing just to let people know that it's supposed to be a maintence are. Maybe some signs, the HTH logo...

                          Comment


                          • #53
                            Originally posted by Adventurer
                            Except that the Hollywood Tower Hotel was supposedly built in a time when Hollywood had TONS of space, not now. In fact, the WDW version says 1907. A bit early for Hollywood, but nevertheless....
                            Right, in the "backstory," it was built when there was tons of space, but it exists today in modern Hollywood, where space is one of the most valuable commodities around. So, in the "backstory" for the building, it probably would have had lots of space around it, but since it has been abandoned for years, and thus not making any profit (and actually probably costing maintenance and upkeep), that's when it would have been subdivided, etc.
                            See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
                            78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

                            "There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

                            "A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

                            -- Walt Disney

                            Comment


                            • #54
                              Ok, I work at a hotel and let me tell you ... the hallways arent that great! The hotel where I work has lite pink hallways ... you think HTH's hallways are bad ... go to a real hotel! It is an exit ... and hey ... it's themed like a back hallway.... and on that end ... its done excellently!
                              Originally posted by drunkmom
                              this is my first buzzed post in the DMCA -- I'm really in this club because I'm a bitch more than anything. I've only had to hit the backspace 4 (oops, make that 5) times in (now 7) in this (now 9) (now 15) in this post! Damn, now I'm up to 18! Our neighbors were (19) (20) making tequilla sunrises. I thought I couldn't do tequilla (22) anymore but (24) this stuff (26) was good! It started (27) with an s


                              Comment


                              • #55
                                Originally posted by ModHatter
                                Right, in the "backstory," it was built when there was tons of space, but it exists today in modern Hollywood, where space is one of the most valuable commodities around. So, in the "backstory" for the building, it probably would have had lots of space around it, but since it has been abandoned for years, and thus not making any profit (and actually probably costing maintenance and upkeep), that's when it would have been subdivided, etc.
                                Eh, that's a weak excuse for the lack of surrounding themeing.

                                WDW's is beautiful. Good thing they didn't think that way when they built it.

                                Comment


                                • #56
                                  Originally posted by ModHatter
                                  I don't know that the average guest is going to think too much about an exit they walk out of in less than a minute. Besides, some people think that the "old" look defies Walt's basic principle that your exteriors look pristine, and you let the show happen on the inside, a la Haunted Mansion.

                                  For me, I like the notion of the Hotel looking old and decrepit on the outside. WDW played even more with that, but a)DMGM has tons of space to do big gardens and whatnot, and DCA doesn't, so I'd rather see that land used for more attractions and not queues, and b) especially with the modern California theme, it's unrealistic to allow a real Hollywood Hotel have that big a footprint. That real estate would have been subdivided, leaving only the hotel and a postage stamp worth of yard around it. Tourists who go see the real Hollywood will probably understand and appreciate that thematic choice.

                                  But with the exit hallway... for a family park, I think it's appropriate to have that moment like after a scary movie at the theater... The movie ends, and the lights come up, and you see that no one is lurking in that dark scary corner, and everything is all right again. Plus, you want it to be clean and look in good repair. You want to return the guests to the park where everything is Neat and Pretty and ready to start the show. Once the ride is over, having it look scorched, dirty, and run-down will blur the line between the Show Elements, and just looking like a dirty dun-down themepark.

                                  the other parks don't have to directly obay walts rules which is nice because like you said run down works well for this haunted setting

                                  I think botht he Mansion and ToT are great for what they're both trying to be
                                  "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

                                  Comment


                                  • #57
                                    I think it would be pretty great if the exit hallway looked incredibly abandoned like something in Silent Hill 4, minus the blood and strange monsters. Like so...


                                    but then again I have never been on either of the ToT attractions, so I can't say much about the exit hall.
                                    Last edited by Modern Folly; 05-15-2005, 07:40 PM.

                                    Comment


                                    • #58
                                      Originally posted by Adventurer
                                      Eh, that's a weak excuse for the lack of surrounding themeing.

                                      WDW's is beautiful. Good thing they didn't think that way when they built it.
                                      It's actually, in my opinion, one of the best choices they could have made. It's much more accurate to the modern day theme DCA has, which is quite different to the DMGM theme, which has places like the Brown Derby and the actual Hollywood gate right outside ToT.
                                      See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
                                      78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

                                      "There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

                                      "A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

                                      -- Walt Disney

                                      Comment


                                      • #59
                                        Originally posted by girl anachronism
                                        I think it would be pretty great if the exit hallway looked incredibly abandoned like something in Silent Hill 4, minus the blood and strange monsters. Like so...


                                        but then again I have never been on either of the ToT attractions, so I can't say much about the exit hall.
                                        Silent Hill = terrifying. This ain't Disney's Spooky Farm..
                                        Well, light travels from the sun. Then, bounces off of our planet, and back into our eyes so we can perceive color. My body can intercept that light and dance around on it!


                                        -- robotarmada.net --

                                        Comment


                                        • #60
                                          Originally posted by robotpirates
                                          Silent Hill = terrifying. This ain't Disney's Spooky Farm..
                                          Yes, but a bit more aged would be cool, I read on here that someone said that it didn't look that old...

                                          Comment

                                          Get Away Today Footer

                                          Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X