This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ModHatter
    It's actually, in my opinion, one of the best choices they could have made. It's much more accurate to the modern day theme DCA has, which is quite different to the DMGM theme, which has places like the Brown Derby and the actual Hollywood gate right outside ToT.
    Does the "Hollywood Pictures Backlot" really have a modern day theme? I don't know about that...

Last edited by Adventurer; 05-15-2005, 07:55 PM.

Comment

DCA in general was meant to be modern day, so yes, it's modern day. It was designed to look like what everyone thinks Hollywood looks like, all the glitz and glimmer.

Comment

I said "Hollywood" too much.

Originally posted by Disneylandrocks55
        DCA in general was meant to be modern day, so yes, it's modern day. It was designed to look like what everyone thinks Hollywood looks like, all the glitz and glimmer.
        Meh, when I think of Hollywood, I think back to a time I never saw. The golden age of Hollywood, the 1930's and 1940's to be exact. When I think of modern day Hollywood, I think of drug addicts and seedy motels. But perhaps that's just me. I've never been to the actual Hollywood to get the facts straight. I like the Hollywood Backlot just fine though, it does have the Animation Building after all!

Comment

Originally posted by girl anachronism
          Meh, when I think of Hollywood, I think back to a time I never saw. The golden age of Hollywood, the 1930's and 1940's to be exact. When I think of modern day Hollywood, I think of drug addicts and seedy motels. But perhaps that's just me. I've never been to the actual Hollywood to get the facts straight. I like the Hollywood Backlot just fine though, it does have the Animation Building after all!
          Exactly, it's the sterio-type version of Hollywood.
          Or maybe it is meant to be 1930s, I just wish they would make that theme... more... "out there" and in your face. DCA needs stuff from the past It needs some fantasy.

Comment

Or maybe it is meant to be 1930s, I just wish they would make that theme... more... "out there" and in your face. DCA needs stuff from the past It needs some fantasy.
            Some of the architecture looks like it's from the 1930's. But when I hear the James Bond theme it kinda takes away from the supposed "30s" theme haha.

Comment

Disney was definitely going for a "vintage" look when they designed Hollywood Backlot. Look at all the signage, the details... there really isn't much reference to contemporary Hollywood (which has become more like Times Square/Blade Runner looking with all the electronic bill boards and stuff). The one exception is the "El Capitan" theater marquee that always shows a current Disney movie.
              --Jonathan

Comment

Originally posted by girl anachronism
                Yay! Precisely... that's what I've never liked about DCA. It's not the California theme, it's the "edgy" modern theme. ToT fits that theme well, maybe even a little TOO well. That really is what a lot of modern Hollywood is like. Run-down relics from days gone by. Even some of the classic movie palaces are set in run-down surroundings. I was just looking at an LA photography book from about 1976, and it was sad to see even back then, and much of it has only gotten worse, despite the valiant efforts of groups like the LA Conservancy.

That's why it would have been great to see DCA adopt the Golden theme for Disneyland's anniversary. Everything from the Farm becoming the Golden Valley, to el Oro de Zorro, to the Gold Rush, to the Golden Age of Hollywood, and the creation of the Golden Gate Bridge. People really seem to enjoy Disney's power to transport us to other times and places. Transporting us to Shasta County isn't as adventurous as the Mighty Mississip or New Orleans, but it can be an adventurous journey to another time in California, and give park guests what they will enjoy most.
                See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
                78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

Comment

Wait a minute, isn't DCA's backlot area themed like a backlot? What is a haunted hotel doing in a backlot? Maybe they should just finish the facades and make it old Holywood like everyone wants... but then what would the muppets be doing there? Aaaah, DCA is a theme nightmare. I simply try not to think too much about it. I do like the Tower of Terror. I just don't much like the walk to it and it's surroundings . It seems random, un-themed, and odd.

Comment

Originally posted by Lore
                    Wait a minute, isn't DCA's backlot area themed like a backlot? What is a haunted hotel doing in a backlot? Maybe they should just finish the facades and make it old Holywood like everyone wants... but then what would the muppets be doing there? Aaaah, DCA is a theme nightmare. I simply try not to think too much about it. I do like the Tower of Terror. I just don't much like the walk to it and it's surroundings . It seems random, un-themed, and odd.
                    Yeah, like most of DCA, the "theme" is severely lacking. And Monsters will make it even more random and unthemed. How many people go to a Hollywood backlot and enter an animated film made in Emeryville?

As for the Muppets... lose them. Or, strenthen the pre-show so it looks less random, more like the making of a 3-D movie. I mean, PotC and HM aren't contemporaries of one another... your facade can always make a clever transition from the broad theme of the land to a more specific theme for the attraction.

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

Comment

I dissagree

I think the modern theme works fine in the Hollywood backlot and I really don't think ToT can work without it (haunted story's especialy ones involving hotels from the 1930's ussualy happen in present day)

you can easily do a perfected version of Hollywood and there are certain things that Disney can do really well with it

I think all of the lands are fine with the modern theme and I think even a historical perfected district could be added without much trouble to the Modern theme

the only area were I grip eabout the modern theme ins the Pier which doesn't fit into the modern context

I say either do some selective aging and call it a newly refurbished Pier or simply make it a step back in time (and either way get some more old fashioned lost rides that are hard to find now *rides not boardwalk games*)
                      "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

Comment

Originally posted by Jspider
                        I dissagree

I think the modern theme works fine in the Hollywood backlot and I really don't think ToT can work without it (haunted story's especialy ones involving hotels from the 1930's ussualy happen in present day)
                        Well, Twilight Zone premiered in 1959, and ended its initial run in 1964, so I think the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror could easily work in this period, so a story about a haunted and subsequently abandoned hotel from the 1930s would work perfectly in this time period.

And, as a matter of fact, one of the most critically and popularly acclaimed haunted stories of the modern era is The Others, set at the end of WWII. Other haunted stories set in the past include everything from Hamlet to The Ghost and Mrs. Muir to Dark Shadows to From Hell. For that matter, rather than updating The Amityville Horror, the filmmakers deliberately kept the setting in the past to add to the feeling of authenticity. One of the best uses of a deliberate past setting is the novel and subsequent adaptations of Henry James' "The Turn of the Screw." It is part of a technique which became known as Verisimilitude. Society always likes to imagine that it is sophisticated and worldly, so by asking us to step into the 1950s, which modern people consider a time of naivete, makes us more susceptible to the fantasy of hauntings, rather than less.

Notice, for instance, that the Haunted Mansion is usually to be found in different historical settings, whether it is New Orleans Square, Frontierland proper, or Liberty Square. Tokyo is the only park to put the ride in a non-historical setting (Fantasyland), and HKDL is not even slated to have Haunted Mansion on opening day... If we accept and even embrace the Haunted Mansion in historical settings, ToT need be no different.

-- Walt Disney

Comment

Originally posted by Tinker Bell
                          Not at all! I love the 1930's look of it! I wouldn't change a bit. Maybe make it bigger, but that's all. I think the sort of abandoned concept is just fine. (Well, maybe that, and I still remember the first time I rode it! I did NOT need any more fright element than I got with the boiler room!!!)
                          Where did I say in my sentence that I would change it? I said they should add a new lighting effect that would make it seem like there is a lightning storm outside. I mean how in the world do you go from a calm room to a lightning storm in a library??? The lobby just feels too calm and when they change the theme to spooky all of a sudden if leaves you thinking what just happened?

Comment

Originally posted by Monorail Man
                            The best thing to focus your eyes on, is a light bulb on in the top of the shaft. The random drop profile will be nice when it arrives, because it will allow for maximum queezyness.
                            Hooray for queezyness!
                            MCDADMCA

^clicky clicky^

Comment

Originally posted by Lore
                              While it may first seem to be a random spot for the ToT, it does have to do with Hollywood, and the backlot having to do with the movie industry, also has the overall theme of Hollywood. Plus, I don't think they really anticipated adding onto DCA, considering there's practically no room anywhere else in the park to plant the attraction. I mean, unless they want to put something in the middle of the lake-thing which is really rather useless.
                              MCDADMCA

^clicky clicky^

Comment

Well, Twilight Zone premiered in 1959, and ended its initial run in 1964, so I think the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror could easily work in this period, so a story about a haunted and subsequently abandoned hotel from the 1930s would work perfectly in this time period.

And, as a matter of fact, one of the most critically and popularly acclaimed haunted stories of the modern era is The Others, set at the end of WWII. Other haunted stories set in the past include everything from Hamlet to The Ghost and Mrs. Muir to Dark Shadows to From Hell. For that matter, rather than updating The Amityville Horror, the filmmakers deliberately kept the setting in the past to add to the feeling of authenticity. One of the best uses of a deliberate past setting is the novel and subsequent adaptations of Henry James' "The Turn of the Screw." It is part of a technique which became known as Verisimilitude. Society always likes to imagine that it is sophisticated and worldly, so by asking us to step into the 1950s, which modern people consider a time of naivete, makes us more susceptible to the fantasy of hauntings, rather than less.

Notice, for instance, that the Haunted Mansion is usually to be found in different historical settings, whether it is New Orleans Square, Frontierland proper, or Liberty Square. Tokyo is the only park to put the ride in a non-historical setting (Fantasyland), and HKDL is not even slated to have Haunted Mansion on opening day... If we accept and even embrace the Haunted Mansion in historical settings, ToT need be no different.

for an experience that's happening to us right now I just think it works better (ooh according to TVtome my grandpa played in an episode of the twilight zone as a random guard o_O)

I know haunted things can be told from an historical setting but the 1930's wasn't all that long ago I just think today makes a better setting for the story

as for New Orleans I have no idea what new Orleans looks like today and for however I know it could look like New Orleans in Disneyland but with more k-rap everywere (it's not like Pirates doesn't involve time travel first your in a calm kinda remote swamp and then your in caves and it could all still be modern up until you round that corner and see the pirate ships and realize you've been transported back in time )
                                "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

Comment

Yay! Precisely... that's what I've never liked about DCA. It's not the California theme, it's the "edgy" modern theme.
                                  Yay? What she said does not support your view. She was talking about what *she* thinks of when she thinks of Hollywood. She didn't say that was what DCA's Hollywood Backlot is.

Yeah, like most of DCA, the "theme" is severely lacking.
                                  Well, you've got that part right.

And Monsters will make it even more random and unthemed..
                                  Which is why the almost the whole of DCA needs to be bulldozed, and they need to turn it into a Disney Studios park.

Originally posted by DOOM BGI
                                  Disney was definitely going for a "vintage" look when they designed Hollywood Backlot. Look at all the signage, the details... there really isn't much reference to contemporary Hollywood (which has become more like Times Square/Blade Runner looking with all the electronic bill boards and stuff). The one exception is the "El Capitan" theater marquee that always shows a current Disney movie.
                                  I agree, though they have done a pretty poor job of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Adventurer
                                    Yay? What she said does not support your view. She was talking about what *she* thinks of when she thinks of Hollywood. She didn't say that was what DCA's Hollywood Backlot is.
                                    Actually, yes it does support my view, otherwise I wouldn't've said yay.

She said:
                                    "Meh, when I think of Hollywood, I think back to a time I never saw. The golden age of Hollywood, the 1930's and 1940's to be exact. When I think of modern day Hollywood, I think of drug addicts and seedy motels."

Which supported my view, which I restated following the Yay:
                                    "that's what I've never liked about DCA. It's not the California theme, it's the "edgy" modern theme. ToT fits that theme well, maybe even a little TOO well. That really is what a lot of modern Hollywood is like. Run-down relics from days gone by."

By and large, people don't seem to want a Disney park to represent modern day. Especially not "modern day just outside the park." They want "a time I never saw."

-- Walt Disney

Comment

Actually, yes it does support my view, otherwise I wouldn't've said yay.

She said:
                                      "Meh, when I think of Hollywood, I think back to a time I never saw. The golden age of Hollywood, the 1930's and 1940's to be exact. When I think of modern day Hollywood, I think of drug addicts and seedy motels."

Which supported my view, which I restated following the Yay:
                                      "that's what I've never liked about DCA. It's not the California theme, it's the "edgy" modern theme. ToT fits that theme well, maybe even a little TOO well. That really is what a lot of modern Hollywood is like. Run-down relics from days gone by."

By and large, people don't seem to want a Disney park to represent modern day. Especially not "modern day just outside the park." They want "a time I never saw."
                                      Ummm no. She was talking about what she thinks of Hollywood. Nowhere does she say what she thinks DCA's theme is.

Comment

Originally posted by Adventurer
                                        Ummm no. She was talking about what she thinks of Hollywood. Nowhere does she say what she thinks DCA's theme is.
                                        Ahem... Yes, she was talking about what she thinks of when she thinks of MODERN Hollywood, which illuminates the problem with the MODERN aspect of DCA's theme.

-- Walt Disney

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X