This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DCA's Tower of Terror.

How is DCA's Tower of Terror different from WDW's? I hear it's a lesser version of the original in Florida, and what's really disappointing, is that the CA version is the version being cloned at TDL and WDSP. What did they cut out of CA's version and why is WD Co. being so cheap in importing this version instead of the better original?

The main difference that I can remember is that the elevator cars don't "move" forward on a track at DCA, like it travels in WDW. It really just backs up a couple feet and goes up and down. But there is a cool effect of all the people turning into "ghosts" in the reflection of the elevator. This is actually your image, if you wave your arms around, you can see it in the reflection! It's cool. I like the DCA version, they did an excellent job.

--J.
    --Jonathan

Comment

It arguably has better special effects than the wdw version, but the removal of the Fifth Dimension room really decreases ride time, so that it only lasts about 2 minutes. If it had an extra ride scene, it'd be much better, because what they have is good.
      -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
      I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

Comment

The big reason for the change was that the movement was the cause of almost 80% off the down time in WDW. So why spend money on something that breaks more than it works. This is why DCA's never has to worry about down times the way it is set up they can run the ride if one shaft goes down there are two more. And they can even run a shaft with one car down, the other just runs alone.
        sigpic

Comment

TOT at DCA is a great ride. It's a bit short, but like Skipper said, they only got rid of the parts that don't work at WDW. In a year or so they are going to make all the drop sequences completly random so you have a new ride each time. The line is never long because there is 3 shaft. The effect where you get to see your self turn into a ghost and then suddenly disapear is really cool! The second scene is cool too and is a great kick-off into the drop sequence, it surprises all the first timers.

Comment

The big difference is there is no 5th dimension room on the DCA version. Some people think that's a good thing, some don't.

I haven't ridden Tower at WDW yet so I can't tell you.

The TDS version is technically the same as the DCA version, but I will lay odds that it will be plussed in so many ways. I think the cost of the TDS version is twice what DCA's cost. The TDS version will also not be "Twilight Zone" Tower of Terror. Just Tower of Terror, no Twilight Zone references.

Comment

Yeah, I'm glad to see some other people who appreciate this version more than the WDW one. I mean, the only downer is that we didn't get random drops from day 1, but the first time I rode it -- I didn't mind at all! I thought it was a much more sensational experience. It seems like, at DMGM, I spent a long time waiting for something cool to immerse me. Here, once those doors close, you're transported, and while the ride may be shorter, you spend more time feeling like you're really IN the ride.

I was also glad the 5th Dimension room was gone. I thought it was a neat idea that really wasn't executed well. Now, all I need is a line that allows you to skip the library. But, if the guests getting on my nerves in the library scene is the worst thing I can think of about the attraction, that's not the rides fault.
              See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
              78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

Comment

I hear the WDW drop is much much larger... I talked to a woman last night who said the WDW version scared her, while the DCA one is just fun.

It can't be as bad as Supreme Scream at Knott's though!!
                Member of the Disney Class of 2005
                Disneyland CM for 4 years.
                May 6, 2005 - present.

Comment

The architecture and detailing of the DL one pales to WDW. The hotel looks like the LA County Hospital. What an abberation.
                  "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

Comment

Originally posted by Cousin Orville
                    The architecture and detailing of the DL one pales to WDW. The hotel looks like the LA County Hospital. What an abberation.
                    If I found Michael Eisner in a bowl of chili, I would eat him right up.

Take that as you will.
                    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
                    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
                    May 6, 2005 - present.

Comment

our version rarely breaks down as opposed to the wdw version which i've heard breaks down much more often...

not that dca needs a ride that works at full capacity at the moment, but i t will be nice in a few years when the line is still kinda short...
                      My Roadtrip Photos

Comment

What is/what happens in the 5th dimension room?

Comment

Originally posted by Adventurer
                          What is/what happens in the 5th dimension room?
                          I don't know but this music is playing:

"This is the dawning of the age of Aquarius... age of Aquarius..."

--J.
                          --Jonathan

Comment

5th Dimension...

The 5th Dimension is when after a few minutes in the ride, the elevator LEAVES that elevator shaft and moves FOWARD through a whole room/scene! This aspect of the ride is AMAZING and truly builds up suspence. I keep reading how it causes so much downtime, etc.... I just don't see this true anymore. Any ride of this magnitude is going to have errors, especially with all the complex aspects of it.

I'm not taking away from the DCA version at all though I am coming to Disneyland for the first time this summer and CANNOT WAIT to experience everything, including Tower of Terror. Each ride is unique, and just like how WDW's TOT was great.... they took it and improved so much with the DCA!

Comment

Originally posted by iPod
                              The 5th Dimension is when after a few minutes in the ride, the elevator LEAVES that elevator shaft and moves FOWARD through a whole room/scene! This aspect of the ride is AMAZING and truly builds up suspence. I keep reading how it causes so much downtime, etc.... I just don't see this true anymore. Any ride of this magnitude is going to have errors, especially with all the complex aspects of it.

I'm not taking away from the DCA version at all though I am coming to Disneyland for the first time this summer and CANNOT WAIT to experience everything, including Tower of Terror. Each ride is unique, and just like how WDW's TOT was great.... they took it and improved so much with the DCA!
                              Oh you mean the part with the doorway, the eyeball, E=mc2 and the clock?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X