This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could this be new Peoplemover?

Only now with the news that because of safety concerns, the original PeopleMover might not return, but instead an enclosed pod would be the new design. Could this be a (or even the) design that looks promising?

I wonder if Disney or Imagineers would look into this system. (Pictures below). {On another I haven't seen any of this system being discussed recently, so it might be new to some or old news to others, but still looks promising)

I actually remember this being one example of a design for a new Peoplemover discussed back in May of 2005, on a Peoplemover thread on either this website or another, I can't recall. The system is called TAXI2000 by SkyWeb Express. Although the website is only a preview of a possible personal transport for the near-future (which was the original principle behind the WEDWay), would it not look interesting and fun to ride?

Pictures: SkyWeb Express

Picture: http://www.taxi2000.com/

Below is how the vehicle opens.
    Picture: http://www.taxi2000.com/

It appears to have a futuristic design, would attract riders, and bring back motion to Tomorrowland.

Here is a mockup of what it might look like (although some color and design changes might be needed, it would work on the same principle as the old PeopleMover.
    The car would have an automated entrance
    * (on the old system the roof would raise and doors open, and close at a certain point)
    * On this system, the front of the car would slide foward and open and be ready for passengers until a point and then it would close.

With adjustments to the track and car the system could be in service by 2010 or so
    * With a sponsor and more testing, even sooner and better

The front window could even be changed, allowing for an outside view.

Any comments or suggestions...

Re: Could this be new Peoplemover?

It just seems so Today!
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

Comment

Ooooooo, I like the concept! It looks very flashy and so modern looking, which is great for Tomorrowland. However, the only thing that bothers me with the new look is that it's all inclosed. One of the many things that made the PeopleMover so fun was that it was open, which meant it was airy and breezy when you rode it.

This new look I see makes it seem so confined and stale looking when you're inside. But under the circumstances, I can see they would need to have it all inclosed. And knowing Disney, I'm sure it would be awesome, if and when they put it all together. Considering what a failure Rocket Rods were, I'm sure the *new* PeopleMover would be a wonderful addition to Tomorrowland.

Let's just hope they put something up there before Disneyland's 55th Anniversary in 2010!
      Love Is An Open Door
      :love:

http://facebook.com/PatrickDisneyGuy

Comment

It does look cool ! Lets hope that something fun will go on the tracks !

Comment

I would much rather have an open air car than an enclosed one. YMMV.

Comment

I really like the concept here, and it looks almost like the Invisibles idea that has been floating around here as well. Hopefully this is what is coming to the old Peoplemover location.

Comment

I like this! I could live with this!

Although, I have to admit, I've been trying to think of ways to modify the old PeopleMover vehicles to match up to the new safety laws. I miss the old PeopleMovers. *sigh* I guess we're really paying the price.

I guess I'm just a romantic
              My mind won't rest
              and I don't sleep
              Not even in my dreams...
              -"If You Ever Did Believe"
              written by Stevie Nicks

Chasen Matthew Pacheco
              1985-2005

Comment

I like it!

Comment

That's probably fairly close to what it will look like, all things considered. If it truly has to be enclosed then it would be something like that. However, Al mentioned that the cars would spin, and I think that would be necessary too, especially if the vehicles are so forward-oriented like those. The old Peoplemover had seats all the way around, while this one would only have forward-facing seating. If there was a lever or buttons or some way to spin the car (like Roger Rabbit and Buzz) then this could work, just spin the car towards whatever you want to look at.

Another thing that would be neat would be individual screens in each car, where you could touch them to find out more about the rides you were passing, or whatever. That seems a little costly and prone to failure, though, but you never know. It really depends on what type of ride they're going to remake the peoplemover as. It could just be a transportation ride, or it could be a big flashy E-ticket with a lot of new technology. Only time will tell!

Comment

I like the concept but get rid of the fronts. Just have omnimover vehicles facing forward or something. I imagine having windows would mean a maintenance nightmare.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
                    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
                    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

LOL I posted this on here a few days ago. They are pushing it as a new kind of taxi network. It looks like a cool idea except totally unworkable in peak hour. If they could combine these 'taxis' with a mass transit running on the same monorail they may have something. But as for a PM in DL it could work, but then the PM tracks would have to go somewhere.
                      Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
                      DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

Comment

I think it'd be a pretty cool idea. Does anyone know where I can find footage from the original people mover? I don't remember what it was like (although I went on it when I was a wee little lad).
                        "Pain is temporary, Film is Forever..."

http://www.youtube.com/user/DisneyDude

Comment

Originally posted by PinBrian View Post
                          While it is true that an open air car would be best, it is no longer possible. Due to new safety requirments an open air vehicle will never be able to use that track again. Read Al Lutz most recent article, he discusses it there.

Comment

Originally posted by DisneyDude2006 View Post
                            I think it'd be a pretty cool idea. Does anyone know where I can find footage from the original people mover? I don't remember what it was like (although I went on it when I was a wee little lad).
                            Look no further than one of the latest posts on Micechat
                            Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
                            DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

Comment

Originally posted by PinBrian View Post
                              the only problem with an open air car is that some idiot will try to get out and cause an accident or death. It happened on the old Peoplemover so it could happen again.

I agree that it would be nice to have an open air version but not nearly as safe. I like the concept and those little vehicles look really cool!
                              Foolish Mortal
                              sigpic

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X