Anybody else think the Mickey Mouse themed room is tacky?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CaliforniaAdventurer
    MiceChatter
    • Jan 2005

Anybody else think the Mickey Mouse themed room is tacky?

I mean sorry folks, it's just a little creepy. Like the first season of THE REAL WORLD meets WORLD OF DISNEY.

I'd like to see what the Cinderella Castle suite looks like on the East Coast...
  • Opus1guy
    • Sep 2005

Re: Anybody else think the Mickey Mouse themed room is tacky?

Well...here's my reply/opinion of it that I wrote last week on another Disney bulletin board:

>>>

I guess that I alone think it's gaudy, garish and grotesque. Disney decorator, your job is secure.
    No. You're not alone. I agree on that, especially on the living room. The bedroom doesn't seem as bad. But it's not my cup of tea either.

I'm a designer and work with other designers, and after passing the link to the photos around to our talented staff here, the general consensus is "over-designed" and "Heinz 57 style." Too many conflicting styles, which leads many here to agree with:

...this room has committee smeared all over it.

This is generally what I feel too. And like the room is trying too hard (and unsuccessfully) to be stylishly "hip" in a "W Hotel" sort of way.

But more importantly for me...the room seems to be out-of-character for Mickey. I can see some avant-garde Mickey fan designing something like this for his own enjoyment. But I don't see this suite as fitting in with Mickey's character at all. In other words...it's not a style you'd imagine Mickey would enjoy himself. And it's probably not what most Guests would imagine a "Mickey Suite" to look like, either. Mickey is all class. This place is all crass.

Looks like some group was designing to win some award or something. Rather than create a suite that was truly magical and charming in a Mickey sort of way.

I recall back when the company finally admitted the whole "Disco Mickey" campaign was a mistake and out-of-character for Mickey. I kinda wish someone would look at this suite and come to the same conclusion.

I sort of judge great hotel suites as places you'd wish you could live in. This one is not much of a nice place to look at. And I certainly wouldn't want to live there! One look at this suite and I'd probably ask, "Can I please go back to my old room now?"

More a design nightmare than any sort of dream. More like some product showroom than any sort of guestroom.

IMHO.<<<<

And for those that haven't had the pleasure of seeing some snaps:

http://www./articles.php?art=dl061204xx

Comment

• merlinjones
      Minion
      • Jan 2005

I'm with you. It looks like The Disney Catalog exploded on a Holiday Inn. Why not a cool, escapist fully-themed suite that looked as though you really stepped into Sleeping Beauty's tower, Neverland or even ToonTown? - - But a bunch of ugly Mickey postmodern consumer merchandise and gallery stuff - - ew. That Dream is not a Wish made by taste.
      “I love the nostalgic myself. I hope we never lose some of the things of the past.” -- Walt Disney

Comment

• Alan
        Nice Guy
        • Jan 2005

You sure are asking for trouble. Wait til Monday when all the people with Disney rooms log on.
        >>Alan<<
        Member 216

Comment

• PragmaticIdealist
          • Jun 2005

Now, a SHAG-designed room would have had some cachet.

Comment

• Opus1guy
            • Sep 2005

Originally posted by KingOfHearts View Post
            You sure are asking for trouble. Wait til Monday when all the people with Disney rooms log on.
            Well...I for one am not referring to hardcore Disney fans' homes or displays of their collections. That's something completely different. I'm referring to a Hotel Guestroom Suite...and what I think most common folks out there would envision as a "Mickey Suite." And how I don't think this Suite's design really compliments or reflects the character (as in soul, being, personality) of Mickey Mouse at all.

Aside from mainly being just plain ugly, without warmth, magic or charm, and being rather industrial. IMHO.

Comment

• awesomemama
              • Feb 2006

I love Mickey, and would still love to stay here, but I must say, I think I would end up with a migraine if I tried to spend too much time in that suite!!!

Comment

• CaliforniaAdventurer
                MiceChatter
                • Jan 2005

Thank you Opus "Rather than create a suite that was truly magical and charming in a Mickey sort of way."

and Merlin...

Originally posted by merlinjones View Post
                I'm with you. It looks like The Disney Catalog exploded on a Holiday Inn. Why not a cool, escapist fully-themed suite that looked as though you really stepped into ... ToonTown?

There you go. It's not truly magical, truly Disney, truly Mickey.

It's like Spencers Gifts version of Mickey for MOMA.

Comment

• CaliforniaAdventurer
                  MiceChatter
                  • Jan 2005

P.S. I like the Shag idea, too.

(Off topic: They should build a new Disneyland Hotel and every building could represent a different "Land" with a pool in the hub of the resort.)

Comment

• Mac Daddy
                    Nikon +Disneyland = :)
                    MiceChat Round-Up Crew
                    • Jun 2005

Could someone post the link to the photos of this room? I haven't seen them yet. I've only heard about it on the Disneyland Podcast.

Comment

• ~xxBooxx~
                      "714"
                      • Aug 2006

Originally posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
                      I mean sorry folks, it's just a little creepy. Like the first season of THE REAL WORLD meets WORLD OF DISNEY.

I'd like to see what the Cinderella Castle suite looks like on the East Coast...
                      No No Dont Be Sorry, Thats Your Opintion. The Way I Feel Is, Where Else Are You Gonna Find AnyThing like This? I Would Expect To See Something Like This At A Disney Resort! Also This Is A Special Room For Guests Willing To Pay $500, & Up So Of Course Disny Is Gonna Go All Out With The Mickey Theme. To Me Its Not Tacky But Done With Disney Style.

NO DOUBT SUMMER 09 TOUR!
                      MAY 22 SAN DIEGO/AUG 2 IRVINE

Comment

• CaliforniaAdventurer
                        MiceChatter
                        • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Opus1guy View Post
                        And for those that haven't had the pleasure of seeing some snaps:

http://www./articles.php?art=dl061204xx

Opus already posted this link

Comment

• ~xxBooxx~
                          "714"
                          • Aug 2006

[quote=KingOfHearts;1184367]You sure are asking for trouble. Wait til Monday when all the people with Disney rooms log on.[/quo

Yep, I can feel it coming! They will be all over this!
                          :argue: < monday micechaters.

NO DOUBT SUMMER 09 TOUR!
                          MAY 22 SAN DIEGO/AUG 2 IRVINE

Comment

• pineapplewhipaddict
                            DoleWhipDrea
                            • Apr 2005

I thought it looked nice from the photos I've seen...

However, I would prefer the Pirates of the Caribbean or the Cinderella Castle suite.

Comment

• Alice's Wonderland
                              Directly directed
                              • Feb 2005

I like the carpet. I think it's fun

Comment

• MickeyMania
                                Vehicle rotating backward
                                • Jan 2005

I think it's a neat room, myself. Although Mickey's disembodied head appearing the glass and talking to people ala Mirror Mirror or the Wizard of OZ is pretty creepy.

Comment

• merlinjones
                                  Minion
                                  • Jan 2005

Even worse, that suite looks like something that belongs at Eisner-era Walt Disney World... not classic Disneyland.
                                  “I love the nostalgic myself. I hope we never lose some of the things of the past.” -- Walt Disney

Comment

• Coheteboy
                                    Starcruiser.. crash crash
                                    MiceChat Moderator
                                    • Sep 2005

Haha wow you guys are harsh. No, I wouldn't want my house to look like that but you know... people are only going to spend one night in the room so it's not that horrible to me.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
                                    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
                                    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

• Cmash95
                                      Banned User
                                      • Jul 2005

considering they had just a few months to throw this together, they did a pretty good job. and considering it's a prize you get to spend one night in the suite and you aren't paying for it either. not too bad I would say. it's along the lines of what I would expect for a mickey themed room. I don't think it's supposed to be a room that mickey would stay in but a room that is supposed to be a tribute to him. and for those who don't like the room, you can always turn it down if you win.

Comment

• Mac Daddy
                                        Nikon +Disneyland = :)
                                        MiceChat Round-Up Crew
                                        • Jun 2005

Originally posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
                                        Opus already posted this link

Thanks. It was hiding on the bottom of his post. :blush:

I'm not wild about the furniture, but I'd love to see the rest of the Penthouse. The view is supposed to be amazing, and if my family won this, I certainly wouldn't turn it down.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X