This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on being hired as CM

how hard is it to be hired as a CM? apart from all the appearence requirements an such, how likeyly is it for someone to get hired? i would assume there would be a lot of competition. an one more thing....if youre a student is your GPA a factor when being considered?

I'm interested in the answer to this question too. Anybody know?

Comment

we have several CM's on the boards, I am sure they can give you an answer- it has been about 4 years since I went through the hiring process with Disney, so I probably don't have the best information. All I know is you need to present the best image possible when you interview with them. I don't think GPA's are considered unless you are applying for the college program.

Appearance is a huge part of being hired and of course attitude- just give them what they are looking for.
      Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
      Help support the site you love:
      -Visit the MiceChat store
      Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
      MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

Comment

I was just hired today in fact. I will be working retail in Tomorrowland or Main Street. There were a ton of people applying today, and they were also having auditions for entertainment. My only advice is to go right away if you are considering employment at the Disneyland Resort. The recruiters were very friendly, and interviews are in groups of two. (much easier on the nerves!!) I have not had my orientation meeting yet, but that will come Friday. BTW I was given an appointment to come back and fill out paperwork, just because they were so flooded with applicants. The recruiter was hoping I would be all set today, but things were just too busy. If you guys are really interested in applying, just go there with a positive attitude and a smile.

BTW GPA's are not at all considered. They do check your credit reports and such.

Comment

Hi JordanB!

I worked for Disney for 6 years. My advice - Be professional!! I can't stress this enough. Wear a nice suit (you should always anytime you're looking for a job) and try and research the job you're interested ahead of time so you'll be prepared. Don't go down with the attitude that you'll impress them with all your Disney knowledge. They're not looking for fans. The interviewer will ask all the questions. Disney wants responsible, hard workers, who are willing to represent the Disney name. Remember to be the best of the best.

Once when we were looking for new hires, this guy came down and had on a Mickey tie, carried a Disney folder and even wore a souvenier nametag on his lapel. Management thought he was nuts! Needless to say the guy was clueless and was turned away.

Good luck to you!! I loved being part of the Disney family.

p.s. Even if you're just looking for a summer job, still dress nicely. You may get something better than you're expecting!

Comment

I think the most important thing is to listen actively. Don't talk too much and not about yourself unless asked. I have seen too many people turned away because they couldn't shut up and kept interrupting the interveiwer. And smile!

Comment

Also, when they ask you for your preference on where in the park you want to work, don't be afraid to express what you are most interested in. They want to make sure you are going to excel and be happy with the job you are given. I personally told them that I did not want to work in foods, and she was very understanding about this. She said she would do her best to get me attractions or retail. Don't forget to dress nice as well, as Nerverlandtink said.

Comment

thank you everyone, your advice has been very helpful! now here comes the confusing part, i actually live in WA state (im 17) and am hoping to move down with my grandparents who live in the area of DLR. I was thinking maybe i could come down to apply over labor day weeknd so i could start when i get out of school in june. I think maybe i should call the DLR jobline to explain my situation and maybe they could help me out. This is something i would really love to do so if anyone has any ideas or help it would be greatly appreciated

Comment

The minimum age requirement is 17, but you have to be graduating from high school that same year. Otherwise all applicants must be at least 18 years of age. It seems that you meet the age requirements, so you will most likely have no problem applying. The DLR jobline is just a recording when I called, but someone else might have a different number you could call.

Comment

Jordan: that could be tough. The jobline is recorded, btw, but it may give you the phone number. Either that or you could call the DL operator at 714-781-4000 and ask for the casting center desk.

You can go and apply any time at the beginning of the season and have a reasonable chance if you interview well. If you want an extra boost, however, either get a referral from an existing CM (at the right time of year this should be easy to do if you know any CMs as Disney will pay them $50 if the hire you, and it increases your chances), and another way is to go to a job fair. Don't *not* apply now in order to wait for a job fair, but if the difference is less than a week between just going in or going to the fair, attend the fair, they'll be in mass hiring mode.

SMILE.

Be availible (they ask you your availibility on the application - be prepared to give up all your weekends, holidays, etc.) However, if you have obligations already scheduled, you'd better be up front about it, because getting up-front approval of that time off is the only way you can guarantee getting it.

Be prepared to give examples of specific situations where you had to act independently, as a team, and deal with a difficult situation (either working with someone you didn't like, or dealing with an unhappy customer).

SMILE

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

Comment

how often are job fairs held?

Comment

Originally posted by JordanB
                        how often are job fairs held?
                        Now that I don't know. I think they had one in April? :confused:

Comment

Originally posted by Monorail_Blue
                          I was just hired today in fact. I will be working retail in Tomorrowland or Main Street.
                          Hmm, I may just have to track you down and 'initiate' you. MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!- eh, I really can't do the evil thing convincingly...so welcome aboard, hope you get Main Street U.S.A.
                          The Next Big Disney Thing: starts Jan. 3rd

Comment

Speak clearly in your interview. Show that you are a fun person. It's okay to share that you are a Disney fan as I did this in both my interview for the store and the college program. Just don't go overboard with it. If you're a strong fan, it's fine... it will probably help you interact with guests but will probably scare of your recruiter like mentioned before. But like I was saying, speak clearly and get to your point. I have talked with some members of Guest Relations down in WDW and they have given me this advice also. You want to show that you'll be great with the guests, stick with your tasks, be motivated, cheerful, and fit the Disney look, style, and brand.

Disney also does group interviews to see how you interact with others and show your strength as an individual but yet as part of a team. Don't be afraid of it. Take it as a stepping stone in your interview.

Best of luck and I look forward to seeing you in the park this summer!

Comment

Great Information indeed. Does Disney offer a place to stay under the college program? Of course rent money would be taken from your pay check but I thought it was interesting becasuse I know people flock to Disneyland to work, its a big dream for some. I always wanted to knoe.

Thank You,
                              SoarinCitrus

Comment

They used to provide housing until the program was disbanded in 2001- this is the first year they have brought it back and they no longer offer housing- you have to have your own arrangements. They used to take 100 dollars a week out of your paycheck and you have 3 roommates. At WDW however, they still provide housing and in fact, have their own dorms. Disneyland just had apartments around orange county.
                                Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
                                Help support the site you love:
                                -Visit the MiceChat store
                                Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
                                MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

Comment

Good luck, JordanB! Maybe on one of your days off (if you get hired), you can come to a MiceChat meet. You're cute!
                                  Well, light travels from the sun. Then, bounces off of our planet, and back into our eyes so we can perceive color. My body can intercept that light and dance around on it!

-- robotarmada.net --

Comment

wow that really sucks for thoes who want to do the program at DL... i am working with a girl who did the college program at WDW... she said that she loved it
                                    -Miss Wendy Lynn

The second star to the right
                                    Shines in the night for you
                                    To tell you that the dreams you plan
                                    Really can come true

Comment

I wish I could work there
                                      Katie :yea:
                                      Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
                                      :sc: FIGHT ON!!!!!!

Comment

What are some of the things disney asks you?

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
                                        ~

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X