Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Registrations

New user registrations are verified at least once per day. Thank you for your patience.
2 of 2 < >

Your Assistance Please

We need your help to battle spammers and also to keep our community user friendly.
PLEASE BE KIND TO OTHERS - Refrain from personal attacks. Avoid politics and harsh language whenever possible. If someone is violating our simple rules, DO NOT confront them, simply report the post.
STOP SPAMMERS - Report the post. DO NOT respond to them.

2017 is a year of renewal for us, we have lots of exciting changes on the way for you, but we don't have time to deal with trolls and spammers. If you find yourself suspended and need to plead your case, you will need to do so after your suspension. We are happy to address your concerns if you made a simple mistake. However, please note that those with a history of bad behavior and pushing our rules to the limit will not be given the courtesy of a reply.

MiceChat offers a number of ways for you to communicate and get involved. We offer Facebook Groups and Pages, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest accounts. We have a front page filled with amazing content. We offer weekly meetups in the parks. Meets and events all over the world. Podcasts and videos. And we continue to maintain forums for your posting convenience. But with all those options, we can't be everywhere all the time. We need YOUR help. Please don't poke the trolls. Report posts and leave reputation. We'll do our best to keep the forums clean and active, but we can't do so without your help.

Thank you for your support folks, it's going to be a really fantastic year in the MiceChat world.
See more
See less

Could Mid-Fantasyland (The Onetime "Afternoon Ave.") Be Themed More Today?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could Mid-Fantasyland (The Onetime "Afternoon Ave.") Be Themed More Today?

Just something I've been thinking about: could/should anything be done thematically with the relatively theme-bare section of Fantasyland between Storybookland and It's a Small World (the area that was turned into Afternoon Avenue for the Disney Afternoon promotion in 1991.) This is the only spot in Disneyland I can think of where there really isn't much specific theming. You're out of the Bavarian village area, but not yet into the Small World area. And, even when they were operating, I can't remember there ever being much theming surrounding the Motor Boat Cruise and Fantasyland Autopia (other than during the Disney Afternoon thing.) The signs for the attractions are all I can (vaugely) remember.

I'm not sure exactly how much space it is, but I figure if they could fit that Disney Afternoon Duckburg street in there, they could fit something in there, (although I think that was just empty facades) and maybe do something with the Motorboat Cruise.

Not that every square inch of DL *has* to be themed to the hilt, just something to think about.
    "Happy Working Song" parody for DCA remodel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-TYESfNTP8&feature=plcp

Retro Rant Review of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame II" (comedy review of direct-to-video
    Disney sequel):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../1/q1j7FU8QXu0
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../0/sasNTMDRBLU

Retro Rant Review of "Home on the Range" (comedy review of Disney movie):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mC-...feature=relmfu
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUie...feature=relmfu
    Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Vea...feature=relmfu

Visit my site: http://www.vividgroovy.com

Pratfall the albatross superheroine visits the Carthay Circle Theatre.

Re: Could Mid-Fantasyland (The Onetime &quot;Afternoon Ave.&quot Be Themed More Today?

Hmm, I'd say there could be something near where the Motorboat Cruise used to be. There really isn't anything there except for some food stands.

On the other side you can't because there is a walkway that is rarely used, but very valuable during parades.
    -Jack :geek:
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

Comment

Re: Could Mid-Fantasyland (The Onetime &quot;Afternoon Ave.&quot Be Themed More Today?

It should become part of a replacement for Autopia. Really Autopia and the motor boat lagoon could be an extension of Tomorrowland or a whole new land altogether.

That whole area is the biggest waste of space in Disneyland.

Comment

It depends on what goes into the Motorboat Cruise area and how much presence the themeing of what goes into there will have in the walkway.

I remember Afternoon Avenue. It was probably more of an experiment for Toontown (you even met Baloo in his dressing room).

Since it's an area that's valuable for the parades and Remember fireworks (since they installed the projectors for IASW's facade), they can't do anything that will disrupt that or take away space. Plus the monorail goes through there.

Comment

Yeah... that part of the park has always been one big mystery to me. I always wonder why, but now when I think about it, it looks like the area used to hold some type of show or queue for something. It's really bugging me that that part of the park gets overlooked when it could really be used for something special.

Maybe they should go beyond theming and put some kind of an attraction in that little spot where the motor boats used to be lining the original track. I've heard it's mostly intact. Maybe a kiddie roller coaster going over the water kinda like the Go-Coaster in Toon Town, I don't know... just some pipe-dreams
          Oh what the future will hold...

Comment

The whole area you speak of is called The Small World Mall and the only spot they can really build upon is where the motor boat cruise used to be. The walls on the opposite end are all backstage areas where Storybook Canal boats are maintained, Casey Jr. trains, backstage of the quick bite area for deliveries at the fantasyland theater, etc.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
            http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
            http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

I did have an idea before, I don't really like it now. Theme the Small World light towers as little gazebos for meet-n-greets. Like a gazebo for Mulan, Hercules, Beauty & the Beast, etc.

And turn MBC back to driving boats with a Fantasia & Fantasia 2000 theme...

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
              -Jurassic Park

Comment

I think WDI is more hopeful to put another attraction in the old Motorboat Cruise area (perhaps Little Mermaid), and then it will have more theming going on.

Comment

The old Motorboat cruise area could be a great place for a pooh ride!
                  Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
                  "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
                  -August 1st 2010

And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
                  -August 2nd 2010

Comment

With the murals gone around the park as a whole doesn't this area now have even less to do than it a did a few months back?

Comment

OhhhHhHhH.. Little Mermaid! *squeals*

To live would be an awfully big adventure.

Comment

I'm actually going to argue the opposite on this. I think there's such a thing as too much, and parts of DL are there now.

I remember when Small World Mall was just wide open space. No light towers, no walkway, no courtyards. The lack of visual distractions made you focus on IaSW, which became the weenie pulling you towards the end of the street. I remember the pre-Fantasmic days, when that sea of concrete terracing near the river's edge was grass and flowerbeds. Over in Adventureland, there are these light fixtures/ benches right in the middle of the walkway, which I'm sure don't help the bottlenecks in that area.

I realize that all of these things have a reason to be there. Still, DL suffers from a lack of space (something Walt knew from the beginning) and having some large open areas made it feel less so, not to mention allowing for more free flow of traffic. Next time you say "they should put something here," remember Adventureland post-Fantasmic.

G-d help me, I'm becoming a conservationist...
                        Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
                        Charter Member

Comment

Originally posted by Broadway Guru View Post
                          I'm actually going to argue the opposite on this. I think there's such a thing as too much, and parts of DL are there now.

I remember when Small World Mall was just wide open space. No light towers, no walkway, no courtyards. The lack of visual distractions made you focus on IaSW, which became the weenie pulling you towards the end of the street. I remember the pre-Fantasmic days, when that sea of concrete terracing near the river's edge was grass and flowerbeds. Over in Adventureland, there are these light fixtures/ benches right in the middle of the walkway, which I'm sure don't help the bottlenecks in that area.

I realize that all of these things have a reason to be there. Still, DL suffers from a lack of space (something Walt knew from the beginning) and having some large open areas made it feel less so, not to mention allowing for more free flow of traffic. Next time you say "they should put something here," remember Adventureland post-Fantasmic.

G-d help me, I'm becoming a conservationist...

Haha, please don't think your point of view as "conservative" because well, to be honest, you're absolutely right. The one thing DCA has that I like right now is plenty of wide open spaces. Though, that's actually DCA's downfall as well, as those wide open spaces need to be attractions. But still, it's refreshing nonetheless.

I personally do want a new attraction in the old motor boat cruise area for the simple reason that well... they took something away and I'd like something to replace it. I also think it's pretty safe to assume that whatever attraction that ends up in the old motorboat cruise area would not distract from the Small World Mall; as it all depends on how big the show building would require, if a building is necessary at all.

The queue for a new attraction would most likely be held across from the Matterhorn, as I'm sure Disney Execs wouldn't want to take away from prime parade viewing areas.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
                          http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
                          http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X