Your Host Walt Disney - Got mine today and....

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mac Daddy
    Nikon +Disneyland = :)
    MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Jun 2005

Your Host Walt Disney - Got mine today and....

HOLY COW! The footage of Disneyland on this DVD is absolutely amazing. Included on the first disc is "Kodak Presents Disneyland '59" which features the Submarine fleet dedication ceremony, footage of a half built Matterhorn, and the cutting of the ribbon of the monorail. It begins with Art Linkletter with Walt and features the Neslon family (Ozzie and Harriet) doing a spiel for Kodak from Tom Sawyer's Island, a parade featuring groups and floats representing several different countries, Meredith Wilson conducting 76 trombones and the band, and more. (I just got it in the mail from Amazon about 30 minutes ago.) Has anyone else picked this up yet? VERY cool footage! :bow:
    Last edited by Mac Daddy; 12-19-2006, 05:05 PM.

• PLAZAINN1
    Former Cast Member
    • Aug 2006

Re: Your Host Walt Disney - Got mine today and....

I know I am getting mine for Christmas from my wife. I know there is one segment that is already on the Disneyland USA dvd, it's the Disneyland 10th Anniversary segment. Can't wait to get mine though.

I DID buy the Mickey Mouse Club - Hardy Boys series. Can't wait to see it when I get home from work.

Comment

• Neverlandtink
      Me and Tommy Kirk
      • May 2005

I can't wait to get mine, but I'm pretty mad that they have the Disneyland Tencennial again, after featuring it on the Disneyland USA DVD. Double dipping!

Comment

• SpokkerJones
        Banned User
        • Jan 2005

So are there any edits or what?

Comment

• Mac Daddy
          MiceChat Round-Up Crew
          • Jun 2005

Still watching it. Very ironic to watch the christening of the original submarine fleet when they are about to be relaunched as the Nemo subs.

Comment

• Wendygirl
            Enjoy the now!
            • Feb 2005

I bought mine today at Target. Good price, 24.99 same as Best Buy. Looking forward to the memories this will bring me.
            sigpic

Comment

• Mac Daddy
              MiceChat Round-Up Crew
              • Jun 2005

I was kind of bummed to see the 10th anniversary show on here rather than something we haven't seen before. But maybe they're targeting a larger audience than they did with Disneyland USA. And there are a good number of people around who've never seen the 10th anniversary show as they only made a limited number of copies of Disneyland USA.

In any case, it's well worth the bucks if only for the '59 footage, as well as "Back Stage Party", "Where Do Stories Come From", and bonus material. I eat this stuff up as it brings back great memories of Wonderful World of Disney as a kid. '59 was a bit before my time, but how fun to see Walt with Art again and to see the park that young. I don't think the Bobsleds were up and running yet as they had no footage of that. Only a snazzy song and dance number to celebrate the first climbing of the Matterhorn.

And the commercials are almost as entertaining as the show! Ed Sullivan, Ozzie and Harriet, Art Linkletter....good stuff.

Comment

• Goin2DL
                MiceChatter
                • Jan 2005

I have been dropping hints all over the place. So, hopefully I will be getting this for christmas.

Comment

• filmfreak11
                  ...TWO BITS!
                  • Sep 2005

I hasn't sure about Your Host, but I really wanted Silly Symphonies & Pluto (I think that's what it was). Not interested in Mickey Mouse Club. But I heard more and more about Your Host and I kinda want. Of course, I never get anything for my birthday and x-mas, so I'm gonna have to get em myself.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
                  -Jurassic Park

Comment

• disneytim
                    Thanking the Academy
                    MiceChat News Team
                    • Jul 2005

Your Host, Walt Disney

I loved Your Host, Walt Disney, but I watched it with an odd combination of nostalgia and detachment. I've learned a lot about Walt since seeing The Wonderful World of Color as a kid, so although watching these early episodes (and hearing Dick Wesson's great voice over the opening credits) gives me a tingle from fond memories, I can't help but study Walt as the master showman and pitchman--Disney not as the "Uncle Walt" we grew up with, but as a product part and parcel with his movies, TV shows and theme parks. Watch the great interview with his daughter Diane on the DVD. Even she (consciously or not) refers to her father as "Walt," separating the televised public persona from the man she knew as Dad.

There are plenty of gems on the DVD. "Kodak Presents Disneyland '59" is by far the best. Thought to be lost in the years since its TV debut, it was cobbled together from original kinescopes and film footage buried in the Disney archives for presentation on the DVD. The christening of the Submarine fleet, the launching of the first Monorail (with then Vice President Richard Nixon), and the opening of the Matterhorn are all seminal moments in Disneyland history and a joy to watch. It's also a pleasure to see Art Linkletter return as co-host after the rocky Disneyland grand opening broadcast in 1955. Much had been learned about doing live television in those four years and Linkletter (despite a few minor continuity glitches) pulled it off like a pro.

The one segment I could do without is the "Backstage Party" episode, a cloying and gratuitous promotion of Disney's 1961 pic Babes in Toyland. Featuring much of the cast (Ray Bolger, Annette Funicello, Tommy Sands, Ed Wynn and others), it supposedly takes place at a wrap party for the movie with Walt holding court. It's so staged and the actor's performances so forced, however, it's positively painful to watch.

Still, nostalgia eventually wins out when watching this DVD. Seeing Walt Disney gush over his theme park when it was still new with so much yet to come will put a lump in any Disney geek's throat.

Don't forget, Your Host, Walt Disney is one of four new "Disney Treasures" 2-DVD sets released today. The rest include More Silly Symphonies (worth it for the shorts "Mother Goose Goes Hollywood" and "Three Orphan Kittens" alone--plus some great commentary tracks), The Hardy Boys (Tommy Kirk and Tim Considine as the original Joe and Frank on The Mickey Mouse Club), and The Complete Pluto, Volume Two.

Great stuff. :thumbup:
                    Last edited by disneytim; 12-19-2006, 09:12 PM. Reason: Unmixing a metaphor
                    Follow me on Twitter and Facebook.

Comment

• barfownz
                      Legend
                      • Nov 2005

I just bought mine today and i'm not opening it until Christmas

Comment

• Neverlandtink
                        Me and Tommy Kirk
                        • May 2005

Costco has it for $20.99! Along with the True Life Adventures for the same price.

Comment

• barfownz
                          Legend
                          • Nov 2005

I bought my at Sams Club for $22.99

Comment

• Alchimedes
                            MiceChatter
                            • Jan 2005

Mine is in the mail still waiting for them all. Look forward to watching them. Love the reviews, looks like a great assortment so far.
                            1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Comment

• Coheteboy
                              Starcruiser.. crash crash
                              MiceChat Moderator
                              • Sep 2005

Amazon emailed me on Saturday that they shipped all of my treasures so I SHOULD get them tomorrow! I can't wait. I'm still going through my pirates 2 dvd too so arrgggh! Too much stuff to watch! I need to like... cancel my netflix for a month.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
                              http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
                              http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

• PanTheMan
                                NEVER to Old To Fly...

• May 2005

This is one i am so looking forward to seeing!
                                -----------------------------------------------
                                DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth :thumbup:

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth :thumbup:

Comment

• mikeland
                                  World Traveler
                                  • May 2005

I'm still waiting on Amazon to ship this. I requested regular delivery, but they haven't even sent it out! Next time, I'll just buy locally.

Comment

• audibleatom
                                    official corn dog taster
                                    • Nov 2005

today i make a costco run
                                    OLM!!!
                                    There is no better park than TDS

sigpic

Comment

• barfownz
                                      Legend
                                      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by audibleatom View Post
                                      today i make a costco run
                                      Thats the spirit!

Comment

• DsnyFvr
                                        My laughing place
                                        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Neverlandtink View Post
                                        Costco has it for $20.99! Along with the True Life Adventures for the same price.
                                        wow..ok, thats it..I need to find the closest costco !!
                                        Mark

Contribute to my Johari or start your own!!
                                        http://kevan.org/johari?view=MarkS01

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X