This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ward Kimball on the mainline

This morning the Ward Kimball spent several hours circling the park on the mainline. At first it travelled alone and then later with a full set of passenger cars in tow. During a stop at New Orleans a crew member got off and applied oil to various parts of the running gear. There were at least six people on board, some were cast members and others were outside contractors.

How'd she sound? How'd she look! Details!

Comment

pictures please..
      "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

Comment

Originally posted by 10-8atDisneyland
        There were at least six people on board, some were cast members and others were outside contractors.
        The cab is so large that, as one restorer noted, "you could have a hootenany in there!"

Comment

Hootenany.....I thought only my southern grandmother still said that.
          WALT'S DISNEYLAND DEDICATION SPEECH! - To all who come to this happy place, welcome! Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth can savour the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams, and the hard facts that have created America, with the hope that it will become a source of joy, and inspiration to all the world.

Comment

Sounded pretty good....a nice crisp chugging sound. The whistle seemed a little peculiar sounding. It looks good....not sure if the paint is finished though, the front third of the boiler is not painted along with the smoke stack. As far as the six people go, one was hanging off the back of the tender and another one was kinda hanging on the side of the cab....I'd say the the cab would accomodate four comfortably. While I was on my break I could hear it going passed (the break area I was at is very near the track but the track is not visible) and I could tell it was moving fast, much faster than the normal operating speed. Heard one of the crew at New Orleans say something about "opening it up". It was a nice sight.....unfortunately no pictures.

Comment

Family Guy quote:
              Redneck #1: Sure is a ding dang of a hoe down.
              Redneck #2: Uh huh this is a hootenany
              Redneck #1: Hoe down!
              Redneck #2: Hootenany!
              Redneck #1: Hoe down!
              Redneck #2: Hootenany!
              (punches fly)
              (insert funny comment here)

Comment

Originally posted by 10-8atDisneyland
                It looks good....not sure if the paint is finished though, the front third of the boiler is not painted along with the smoke stack.
                Thanks, 10-8. Great description.

FYI, the front third is called the "smokebox," and actually it is finished. The smokebox is not covered in any insulation (as the rest of the boiler is) and is exposed to very high temperatures, which would cause any standard paint applied to it to merely flake off.

It is painted with a gray mixture of powdered graphite mixed with linseed oil--a coating which actually bakes onto the metal surface when heated from the hot smokebox.

Comment

Also.....Steve, from your book I know you had reservations about the Jiminy on the side of the light. I saw it and it is done tastefully in my opinion. It is all gold paint (or possibly a polished brass cutout? not sure didn't get that close a look). At first glance it almost looks like it is just another gold accent, a closer look and you see it is J.C. in
                  kind of silhouette.

Comment

Yes, I'm aware of the headlight art--I've had to hold my tongue, but since you've seen it and noted it here, I guess I can comment.

I suppose it is an acceptable "compromise." The locomotive's art director, a closet railfan himself, was against the original cricket artwork, fearing essentially that it would break the railroad story's "continuity." Disney art directors are very aware of interjecting visual anomolies that remind guests that they are not "participating" at Disneyland, but are mearely spectators. Anything that disrupts this visual storytelling is usally verbotten. But he also knew there would be fans who expected to see the cricket. As you've seen, Ward's original artwork, which apparently was a fully-realized, full-color Jiminy, was not used.

I suspect many guests won't even spend enough time looking at the engine to study the headlight art. And I think you're right-on: From a distance, it looks merely like gold accent.

BTW, it's gold leaf.

Still, had I been in charge...

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X