Bridging Fantasyland and Tomorrowland: how would you do it?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ModHatter
    Minion
    • Jan 2005

Bridging Fantasyland and Tomorrowland: how would you do it?

I've heard all sorts of ideas about this, and come up with a few too. Discoveryland, SeaCastle, Explorationland... But how would you do it? Where would you draw the borders? How would your chosen theme look? What types of attractions would you put there?
    See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
    78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney
  • robotpirates
    Rainicorn.
    • Apr 2005

I would probably have some sort of travel/exploration land to tie in Fantasy and Tomorrowland. It would make some sort of good segue into both lands, because travel can fulfill your fantasies and all that jazz... I hope that makes sense.

I would take out Autopia, and replace it on the people mover track, to make room for a new E-ticket ride. Perhaps a new coaster (would that be redundant with Matterhorn?) or a new dark ride akin to PotC. I would retheme the queue for Matterhorn... and have MBC be a water-based ride, too.
    Well, light travels from the sun. Then, bounces off of our planet, and back into our eyes so we can perceive color. My body can intercept that light and dance around on it!

-- robotarmada.net --

Comment

• CaliforniaAdventurer
      MiceChatter
      • Jan 2005

Why did you create a whole new thread, "New Land" was alread started and you just posted to it Modhatter.

Why reinvent the wheel?

Comment

• MiceMan
        That's Hawt
        • Jan 2005

Originally posted by CaliforniaAdventurer
        Why did you create a whole new thread, "New Land" was alread started and you just posted to it Modhatter.

Why reinvent the wheel?
        Why ... to watch it go around ..... DUHHHHH!
        Originally posted by drunkmom
        this is my first buzzed post in the DMCA -- I'm really in this club because I'm a bitch more than anything. I've only had to hit the backspace 4 (oops, make that 5) times in (now 7) in this (now 9) (now 15) in this post! Damn, now I'm up to 18! Our neighbors were (19) (20) making tequilla sunrises. I thought I couldn't do tequilla (22) anymore but (24) this stuff (26) was good! It started (27) with an s

Comment

• robotpirates
          Rainicorn.
          • Apr 2005

:monkey:
          Well, light travels from the sun. Then, bounces off of our planet, and back into our eyes so we can perceive color. My body can intercept that light and dance around on it!

-- robotarmada.net --

Comment

• ModHatter
            Minion
            • Jan 2005

Originally posted by CaliforniaAdventurer

Why reinvent the wheel?
            Ummm... yeah, the other thread was actually about creating a new land for this area. That's one possible approach. However, other people might want to take a totally different approach. So, I wanted to open it up to all the possibilites, not just the one.

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

Comment

• Aladdin
              Prince Ali
              • Jan 2005

A long time ago, on another chat board, and something i even had a chance to mention to Bruce Gordon and David Mumford, about the same time TL '98 was 1st being worked on:

Take the Land from the Motorboat Cruise area, Sub Lagoon, Monorail, Peoplemover, Autopia. This whole area needed and still needs complete makeover. A perfect way to link Fantasyland of castles and fairytales, with a land that once was based on Science Faction, but really has transmogrified into a land of Science Fiction, would be a land of Myths and Legends.

For starters, a lot of set up for this land had already been done:

1. Matterhorn ~ with the abominable snowman myth as a resident since 1978

2. King Triton's Fountain ~ with a Little Mermaid meet and greet

3. Submarine Lagoon ~ With a Sea Serpent and mention of Atlantis, would be prime for an updated makeover.

4. Two New Dark Rides, one base on The Little Mermaid, where part of the time you are on the floor of the sea, then it becomes a suspended dark ride. The second dark ride would be based on Hercules ~ where you would be riding Pegasus, and see Mt Olympus!

5. A Volcano with a Hades Boat ride/Villain Mountain escaping from various Disney Villains similar to one that others had proposed

6. Some sort of a Sinbad type attraction. perhaps blended with the Subs.

Yeah, even before Tokoyo Disney Seas, had opened with their volocano and Sinbad attraction (although small world style doesn't cut it for what I had in mind) These things took advantage of several things Disney already had, but also made this a completely unique area that would perfectly blend Peter Pan and Snow White with a land of Star Wars and Science Fiction. Legendland or perhaps Mythopia!
              Critter Country's a mess ev'r since the Country Bears were kicked out. Ya can't cover pooh with honey and 'spect people ta like it.
              An Adventurers It's Time to Put the Spotlight Back on Bring Back the REAL Disney Gallery
              Life for Me! ~ ~ ~ Melvin, Buff, and Max!!! ~~~~ Dump the Dream Suite!
              Meese-ka Moose-ka Mice-Chatter!

Comment

• ModHatter
                Minion
                • Jan 2005

That actually sounds like a very fleshed-out version of the potential hinted at with the Mythia portion of Discovery Bay. I wonder if that was a conscious influence or just happy coincidence.

-- Walt Disney

Comment

• Aladdin
                  Prince Ali
                  • Jan 2005

The Hades boat ride idea i did adopt from other things I had read. But wasn't Discovery Bay a project for Festival Arena? I do recall reading an article, I believe Jim Hill wrote part of a series about Discovery Bay. But the things I mentioned were cultivated by my liking the Hercules movie, and the Little Mermaid not getting a dark ride she is so deserving of. That grew with the idea of what a mess TL was, and all the useless space taken up by the motorboat and Autopia, and the monorails ridiculously long journey throughout the eastern part of DL, and all the valuable space that was being wasted by these boring attractions. It was further sparked by the knowledge that the Submarines were scheduled to close, and the previous closure of the skyway

Coincidently, my journey to DL to see the Sub attraction one last time, was the same weekend that Bruce and Dave were signing a special edition of their Book "The Nickle Tour". I had been looking all over the place for that book for over a year, and was so exicited to hear that they would be signing the book in the Disney Gallery. That's when I mentioned to them the ideas for this area. They did have a somewhat surprised look on their faces, but didn't respond back any other way.

(BTW, the limited number edition Nickel Tour book I have is #55. They initially asked if I wanted a particular book #, at that point the first 20some, and number 100 were already taken. When I asked for #55, they both smiled, and said something like, that would have been their choice too!)
                  Critter Country's a mess ev'r since the Country Bears were kicked out. Ya can't cover pooh with honey and 'spect people ta like it.
                  An Adventurers It's Time to Put the Spotlight Back on Bring Back the REAL Disney Gallery
                  Life for Me! ~ ~ ~ Melvin, Buff, and Max!!! ~~~~ Dump the Dream Suite!
                  Meese-ka Moose-ka Mice-Chatter!

Comment

• ModHatter
                    Minion
                    • Jan 2005

Sorry... I misread your post and thought this was something you had heard FROM the authors, not the other way around.

Anyhoo, Discovery Bay was a concept being kicked around in the 70s, incorporating Island at the Top of the World and a few other Disney films. It was to be a massive undertaking, similar to the Thunder Mesa concept for WDW, but eventually just became BTMRR and a lot of leftover space, including what is now the Arena. I'll see if I can dig up some of the links. It's a great project, and has reportedly inspired elements of DLP's Discoveryland as well as TDS.

Personally, I've wanted to take parts of the Discovery Bay concept and put them in DCA, and put parts in Frontierland's rumored expansion, but you're right, there are existing elements over there in the Fantasyland/Tomorrowland border area that could be built upon nicely.

-- Walt Disney

Comment

• ModHatter
                      Minion
                      • Jan 2005

Originally posted by ModHatter
                      I've heard all sorts of ideas about this, and come up with a few too. Discoveryland, SeaCastle, Explorationland... But how would you do it? Where would you draw the borders? How would your chosen theme look? What types of attractions would you put there?
                      Okay, to answer my own question... out of order, of course...

Even though it wasn't ever the case, I've always considered the boundaries of Tomorrowland in this area to be drawn by the Monorail track. But I'd like to see the whole area pushed into a sort of fantasy future concept. A sort of Jetsons style Utopia. It can be the Floating City concept. Or, it can be another concept I collaborated on at another board, where you have a sort of Montana Future approach. Bring back the House of the Future, surrounded by an ultramodern landscape. Solar lighting, water features with sunken light effects, clear river rocks... In any case, transform concepts like MBC and Autopia from driving rides into true outdoor "dark rides." Keep it very woodsy and natural, but create a weenie off in the distance, just visible above the hills and trees from both Fantasyland and Tomorrowland.

-- Walt Disney

Comment

• DsnyFvr
                        My laughing place
                        • Apr 2005

I think building a ride or an area that would bridge the theme of Fantasyland to the theme of Tommorowland would be a really bad idea. Walt built the park with four distinct lands. There is no need to bridge one land to another..they are SUPPOSED to be distinct.
                        Mark

Contribute to my Johari or start your own!!
                        http://kevan.org/johari?view=MarkS01

Comment

• Speedway
                          Former Epcot CM
                          • Jan 2005

Originally posted by MarkS01
                          I think building a ride or an area that would bridge the theme of Fantasyland to the theme of Tommorowland would be a really bad idea. Walt built the park with four distinct lands. There is no need to bridge one land to another..they are SUPPOSED to be distinct.
                          Thats exactly what I thought.
                          BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
                          October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
                          October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
                          April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
                          October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
                          October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
                          October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
                          October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
                          December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
                          July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
                          July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
                          July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
                          February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
                          February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
                          TRIP REPORTS

Comment

• ModHatter
                            Minion
                            • Jan 2005

Originally posted by MarkS01
                            Actually, I don't consider them particularly distinct. I mean, really, isn't Tomorrowland a Fantasy Adventure through the Frontiers of time and space?

As far as creating visual themes though, the park's designers created the four entries from the Hub, but they didn't create glaring details between the lands themselves to stand out and alert guests "You are now traveling from one Land to another." Great care was taken to make these transitions subtle.

-- Walt Disney

Comment

• dshimel
                              Banned User
                              • Feb 2005

On a budget....

Simply change the border of Fantasyland to be club buzz stage. This has been done before with Matterhorn miving back and forth between Fantasyland and Tmorrowland several times in the past.

Nemo subs and cartoon cars would now be Fantasyland. Buzz Lightyear ride and a better Buzz Lightyear show would be the border/transition. Still call it Tomorrowland train station.

Redo the back side of the Buzz building to be either castle or alpine theme to better demonstrate that the walkway is in Fantasyland. Maybe set up a character meet and greet there to better tie Triton's grotto into that walkway instead off looking like part of Tomorrowland.

As for the "rumor" of removing the Tomorrowland rocks to open up the entrace to Tomorrowland, I think that is the exact opposite of what should be done. It is the AstroOrbiter that creates the real bottle-neck and blocks the view into/out of Tomorrowland.... And personally, I like it. You should not be able to look out of Tomorrowland and see a midieval castle or a post-civil-war frontier fort.

Comment

• CaliforniaAdventurer
                                MiceChatter
                                • Jan 2005

Re: Bridging Fantasyland and Tomorrowland: how would you do it?

Originally posted by dshimel
                                Redo the back side of the Buzz building to be either castle or alpine theme to better demonstrate that the walkway is in Fantasyland. Maybe set up a character meet and greet there to better tie Triton's grotto into that walkway instead off looking like part of Tomorrowland.

Good idea!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X