This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disney's FLORIDA Adventure

I was looking at the dlrp.fr Web-site when I came across pictures of Typhoon Lagoon. http://www.dlrp.fr/galerie/galerietyphoon.php

I've never visited the park, myself, but I do remember reading several years ago a terrific Disney News article about the place at the time it was built.

The thought and imagination that was invested in the project is a testament to the brilliance of the designers. And, I was reminded that this water park was one of the first times Walt Disney Imagineering had ever attempted to create a setting that was geographically real and completely contemporary.

Guests to Typhoon Lagoon experience the interior of Florida in the present day. And, the thought occurred to me that that park, specifically, could and should inform some of the future planning of D.C.A.

There are whimsical and fanciful ideas throughout the park, and, yet, everything makes sense; the dramatic unities are totally consistent with the host region of central Florida. A cataclysmic storm just deposited all of this stuff inland.

Re: Disney's FLORIDA Adventure

Could you go into more detail? I'm not sure if I visited this water park. I only went to one of them.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

Comment

I'll see if I can find that article. I have only a vague recollection of it, but I remember being impressed by the amount of thought the designers invested into the project. It was really quite clever.

Comment

Did you think you were gonna get a respone at 2:20 in the morning? lol

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
        -Jurassic Park

Comment

Insomnia and MiceChat are a bad combination.

Comment

Although I'm sure that Typhoon Lagoon is much better themed than DCA, believing a Disney-written article on the park may not be wise. Disney's wordsmiths are trained to make anything sound good - even blunders like DCA, or more recently, Rockin' Both Parks.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

Comment

The whimsical mythology that was concocted to explain how a lagoon that produces waves could be found in the middle of inland Florida is just captivating.

“For as long as anyone could remember, the quaint thatch-roofed village had nestled along the shores of the sparkling lagoon, in the shadows of a great volcanic mountain. Then came the 20th century with its cruise ships, and tourists and the Placid Palms Resort . . . a special little place for lucky vacationers each year. The great storm, however, changed everything. . . a furious, unrelenting typhoon catching a small fleet of ships by surprise, and tossing them about like toy boats for one terrifying hour. But, in the storm's wake was left a remarkable scene. A surfboard had penetrated completely through a huge tree. A small boat had blown through the roof of one building. A great buoy had crashed through the roof of still another. The Placid Palms Resort was now the Leaning Palms, almost ready to topple over at any moment. A small harbor had been cut off from the sea, trapping an overturned boat and thousands of colorful fish, uh . . . plus a few sharks along the way. Nothing, however, topped the sight of the shrimp boat, "Miss Tilly" [out of Safen Sound, Fla.], impaled precariously on the peak of the great volcanic mountain. To this day, the mountain tries vainly to dislodge its unwelcome burden with an enormous geyser of water every half hour. Well, what nature has really done is a little redecorating. The inhabitants were left with the most extraordinary assortment of waterfalls, rapids, pools, surf and all around wetness the world has ever seen. The once sleepy little resort had been turned into Typhoon Lagoon.”

Comment

Originally posted by filmfreak11 View Post
                Did you think you were gonna get a respone at 2:20 in the morning? lol
                Why not? DLR's closed, what else is there to do?
                Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
                DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

Comment

Originally posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post

The whimsical mythology that was concocted to explain how a lagoon that produces waves could be found in the middle of inland Florida is just captivating.

I misinterpreted what you we describing. I thought you were talking about an article about it - not Imagineering's story behind the park.

It sounds wonderful. Too bad DCA couldn't take a page from this - they could have kept DCA's contemporary setting, but made it something worthwhile if they had approached it like this.... What a shame.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

Comment

Originally posted by MasterGracey View Post
                    Although I'm sure that Typhoon Lagoon is much better themed than DCA, believing a Disney-written article on the park may not be wise. Disney's wordsmiths are trained to make anything sound good - even blunders like DCA, or more recently, Rockin' Both Parks.
                    This article was written back when Frank Wells was alive and Disney was well-run. Before he died, the company was consistently imaginative, and so much creativity and talent could be found in almost all the divisions.

Disney News, itself, was a remarkable publication. I credit it with exciting my interest in the company initially. As a little kid, I found the magazine at the Storybook Store on Main Street, U.S.A. in 1986 when the cast of "The Golden Girls" was on the cover. And, I subscribed to it until its eventual demise. I kept every issue, too. Now, I just need to find the right one.

I loved that magazine. It's a shame that the company destroyed it by moving the operation from California to New York City. That event is officially when Disney died for me. Frank Wells was gone. All the other great executives were escaping. And, Michael Eisner was becoming the most contemptible villain in Disney history.
                    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 01-05-2007, 02:35 AM.

Comment

3:25am...

-Jurassic Park

Comment

DCA was originally supposed to be a water park...I wonder what happened to that idea?

I wish they could revamp DCA's theme into something of mystical fantasy...like dragons and unicorns and such. I saw this absolutely amazing detailed article on something that didn't make it into Animal Kingdom...it was a huge labyrinth that ultimately led you to a unicorn. If they went with this overall theme, they could even put in stuff similar to what's in Tokyo DisneySeas and still put in rides related to Disney films if they wanted...and the skies would be the limit. The theme would be broad enough to really expand and use unique stroylines. I think the biggest issue would be the question of want to name it...I keep thinking of something along the lines of Fantasy Isle or Mystery Island or something.
                        Last edited by pineapplewhipaddict; 01-05-2007, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pineapplewhipaddict View Post
                          DCA was originally supposed to be a water park...I wonder what happened to that idea?

I wish they could revamp DCA's theme into something of mystical fantasy...like dragons and unicorns and such. I saw this absolutely amazing detailed article on something that didn't make it into Animal Kingdom...it was a huge labyrinth that ultimately led you to a unicorn. If they went with this overall theme, they could even put in stuff similar to what's in Tokyo DisneySeas and still put in rides related to Disney films if they wanted...and the skies would be the limit. The theme would be broad enough to really expand and use unique stroylines. I think the biggest issue would be the question of want to name it...I keep thinking of something along the lines of Fantasy Isle or Mystery Island or something.
                          That was Beastly Kingdom. You can still see the dragons in the logo at Animal Kingdom, as well as dragon rock.
                          Goodbye, Me Bizarro is not Monkey Joe. Me Bizarro hates Disney parks so much. Hello

Comment

They have active volcanos in Florida? Frank Wells inspired more creativity than I thought.

Comment

There are actually supposedly plans to eventually build the Beastly Kingdom, but no dates have been set.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X