• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zeus
    :)
    • Oct 2005

Wireless Internet Stations inside Disneyland

So what are you ideas and opinions on putting wireless internet stations in the park, possibly in a cafe, resturaunt or maybe even just at random points in the park signs which read "This is a wireless zone". Would this be a good idea, bad idea? Do you think it would cause congestion and problems when the wireless was not working and those who brought their equip. into the park to use the wireless could not use it? I personally think it would be a good Idea to make an iCafe inside the park somewhere, possibly on main street...or expand coke corner into a cafe where you could use your wireless desktops over high speed internet....What do you guys and girls think?
  • PragmaticIdealist
    • Jun 2005

Re: Wireless Internet Stations inside Disneyland

I've thought about this since it's a big part of my own business.

I really don't like the idea of Disneyland being used as a hangout, but I do think that, as more and more relevant applications are developed and as more of the smaller personal devices, like telephones, incorporate WiFi transceivers, Disney will eventually provide access inside the parks.

The real opportunity lies in Disney creating site-specific applications and content. People are bringing mobile phones, P.D.A.'s, and music and game players into the parks. The company might as well make use of those devices and better integrate them into the guest experience.
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 01-20-2007, 03:35 PM.

Comment

• mrfantasmic
      • Jan 2005

Meh... why?

Comment

• 5hr drive
        I love this place!
        • Oct 2005

Something like this should be a no-brainer with Steve Jobs on the Board of Directors, but I'd like to see it confined to Tomorrowland. You know, something about wireless access on turn-of-the-century Main Street just bothers me.
        sigpic

Comment

• JeffYardDog
          MiceChatter
          • Nov 2006

Originally posted by 5hr drive View Post
          Something like this should be a no-brainer with Steve Jobs on the Board of Directors, but I'd like to see it confined to Tomorrowland. You know, something about wireless access on turn-of-the-century Main Street just bothers me.
          So, you want to get rid of all Main Street anachronisms.

That will lead to a LOT of changes ...

Comment

• PragmaticIdealist
            • Jun 2005

Originally posted by JeffYardDog View Post

Well, the good thing about the wireless access is that it is invisible.

Comment

• PragmaticIdealist
              • Jun 2005

I can imagine something like a "magic compass" that people can access with their personal devices. The trick to integrating wireless cyberconnectivity into Disneyland is in using the technology to enhance the existing experience, rather than just giving people a convenient way to access the Internet.

Comment

• dchun2007
                MiceChatter
                • Jun 2005

I actually wouldn't mind an area that's wireless. Especially since a huge portion of Disneyland visitors are LOCAL! For students, wouldn't it be great to be typing out some Huck Finn report while sitting on the Mark Twain! haha AWESOME
                Currently at DreamWorks Animation SKG

Former Disneyland Adventureland Castmember
                [Skipper & Archaeologist]

Comment

• 5hr drive
                  I love this place!
                  • Oct 2005

Originally posted by JeffYardDog View Post

Well, nooo....but it still bothers me
                  sigpic

Comment

• Opus1guy
                    • Sep 2005

Wireless internet has already existed in the Parks for a couple of years now. I bring my laptop into Disneyland Park and use wireless high-speed internet all the time!

It's just that it's Cellular Broadband, rather than WiFi'd broadband.

With Verizon Broadband Access on my laptop...I've got high-speed internet almost anywhere I go (even in taxis), and never have to sweat out finding a "WiFi Hotspot" if I don't want to. Several other cell companies have their own Broadband Cellular Networks as well these days.

In fact all this week...I've been surfing while in the parks here at Walt Disney World.

But as I'm sure the OP was referring to WiFi in the Parks...with all the non-computer products coming out that are WiFi dependant...like WiFi cameras and WiFi phones...I think it would be a good idea for Disney to consider it. Although they may not have to if the city of Anaheim's current plans to become one of the cities to have city-wide WiFi umbrella coverage happens...then that could very easily reach into the Parks and provide service to Guests wishing to log on to the internet with their portable devices.

Last edited by Opus1guy; 01-20-2007, 06:51 PM.

Comment

• joEticket
                      • Jan 2006

It would make checking my pin stats on PinPics with my PDA that much easier.

Comment

• demento57
                        n/a
                        • Aug 2006

Here's an idea... high tech internet connection in, oh I dont know... TOMORROWLAND! Inside the pizza place would be cool.

Comment

• hollywood1939
                          isn't an elitist
                          MiceChat Round-Up Crew
                          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Opus1guy View Post
                          Wireless internet has already existed in the Parks for a couple of years now. I bring my laptop into Disneyland Park and use wireless high-speed wireless internet all the time!

It's just that it's Cellular Broadband, rather than WiFi'd broadband.

With Verizon Broadband Access on my laptop...I've got high-speed internet almost anywhere I go (even in taxis), and never have to sweat out finding a "WiFi Hotspot" if I don't want to. Several other cell companies have their own Broadband Cellular Networks as well these days.

In fact all this week...I've been surfing while in the parks here at Walt Disney World.

But as I'm sure the OP was referring to WiFi in the Parks...with all the non-computer products coming out that are WiFi dependant...like WiFi cameras and WiFi phones...I think it would be a good idea for Disney to consider it. Although they may not have to if the city of Anaheim's current plans to become one of the cities to have city-wide WiFi umbrella coverage happens...then that could very easily reach into the Parks and provide service to Guests wishing to log on to the internet with their portable devices.

I think we are going to see a change from WiFi broadband to Cellular Broadband. More service area and just as fast (maybe even faster) download speeds. The only place I would see this would be in Tomorrowland.
                          -Jack :geek:
                          Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

Comment

• Monorail Man
                            MiceChatter
                            MiceChat Administrator
                            • Jan 2005

I've always said that a dream of mine was a system of WiFi networks in the parks. This network would also have a web-backend that would give you current showtimes, and current wait times for the day. As well, eventually the system could be expanded to allow eFastPass. Basically, you input your ticket number(s) into your PDA, and you select the attraction you want a FastPass for. Then, when your time comes up, you head to the attraction, and swipe your ticket. It confirms you had an eFastPass, and get to ride.
                            -Monorail Man

Comment

• Wally
                              Fastest Man Alive
                              • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Monorail Man View Post
                              I've always said that a dream of mine was a system of WiFi networks in the parks. This network would also have a web-backend that would give you current showtimes, and current wait times for the day. As well, eventually the system could be expanded to allow eFastPass. Basically, you input your ticket number(s) into your PDA, and you select the attraction you want a FastPass for. Then, when your time comes up, you head to the attraction, and swipe your ticket. It confirms you had an eFastPass, and get to ride.
                              Cool idea, but it would give those with the PDAs an unfair advantage over the others. Currently FastPass works okay because everybody has an equal opportunity for it as long as they are intelligent enough to read their free map.
                              "If we cut the budget are you going to be the one standing at the exit explaining to guests why the ride they just rode is a piece of crap?" - - John Lasseter

Comment

• Monorail Man
                                MiceChatter
                                MiceChat Administrator
                                • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Wally View Post
                                Cool idea, but it would give those with the PDAs an unfair advantage over the others.
                                Not true. Since it's tied to the ticket, they still only get their one fastpass at a time. It would be exactly like the system now, but without all the walking.

Oh, and by the way, if we're talking unfair advantages for a Disneyland experience, there's allready several. Like checking Disneyland.com For times and tickets, using MiceChat to find out Fastpass tips, etc.
                                -Monorail Man

Comment

• roxystar68
                                  MiceChatter
                                  • Mar 2006

I think it would only work in Tomorrowland. Who wants computers all over Frontierland??!
                                  The daydream princess

Comment

• Adelade
                                    I <3 �o�
                                    • Aug 2005

thats how they could get people to innoventions
                                    Is this haunted signature
                                    actually
                                    stretching?

Or is it your imagination, hmm?
                                    Rockin' Lady Adelade of Random
                                    also known as...
                                    Dominatrix of Randomness

Comment

• 5hr drive
                                      I love this place!
                                      • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Monorail Man View Post
                                      It would be exactly like the system now, but without all the walking.
                                      Well, I kinda think that right there would be an unfair advantage. Let's say you and I are standing outside Space Mountain and we both want a Splash Mountain Fastpass. You have your PDA, but I have to walk across the park. Now let's say the parade is rolling through right about now. So, who gets the better return time?
                                      sigpic

Comment

• Mineux
                                        rockin butter sponge!
                                        • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Opus1guy View Post

Do you work in marketing? *giggle*

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X