This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Thunder and Space Mountain Challenge

I am prone to worrying about roller coasters. I get really freaked out when it comes to a chance of getting coaster-sick. I was disappointed to hear Splash Mountain, the only "big" ride I can do without having a freak-out, will be closed for my trip. I'm looking for a new challenge ride; something new that I can try. Is Space Mountain really fast and does it have big drops? How about Big Thunder Mountain?
    The daydream princess

Re: Big Thunder and Space Mountain Challenge

BTMRR is semi fast with no large drops and stops for 3 different lift hills. Space seems fast but isn't (goes about 35 mph). Big Thunder has bigger drops (but they are not that big) and Space is mostly turns.

Comment

Space to me seemed a lot slower with the new lighting and stuff.

Comment

Thank you!
        The daydream princess

Comment

Both are relatively tame roller coasters. In terms of drops and top speed they are nothing compared to Splash Mountain.

However where Splash is mostly a calm journey Space and Big Thunder are fast and out of control for a longer period of time. You also won't know what's coming up since you are not that familiar with the rides. On Splash you kinda know when the drops are coming. Here are some stats to give you an idea.

Space Mountain

Track Height:
          75 feet
          Largest drop:
          17 feet
          Top speed:
          35 miles per hour

Just dark and fast. Prepare for a lot of right turns.

Big Thunder Mountain

Top speed: 36 mph (45 km/h)

In terms of drops Big Thunder isn't much to write home about. It does have what is called "head-choppers" which is the illusion that you are going to hit the rock walls and stuff.

In terms of getting sick I'd be more worried about Space Mountain.

Comment

By the time you might have reacted and gotten scared of a drop on big thunder, it'll already be over. They're like half a second's worth. The big lift hill you see isn't for a six flags style drop, it just leads to a downhill speedup and turn.

Comment

Thanks so much for this advice. To begin with, I had thought Space Mountain would be the tamest, but now I think I'll mainly want to try Big Thunder.
              The daydream princess

Comment

If I'm there, you'll probably be laughing (or covering your ears) so much, you won't notice any coaster-sickness
                See more of my horrible photos (and a few good ones) at my Flickr photostream

Comment

Both Big Thunder and Space I ride because they only turn and have no real drops. In Big Thunder, yes there are drops, but they are turning drops, so your stomach doesn't feel any problems. It is not like Screamin or ToT I assure you!
                  Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
                  "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
                  -August 1st 2010

And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
                  -August 2nd 2010

Comment

If you'd like to try a coaster, I'd suggest Big Thunder first. Do it during the day and towards the front for the tamest ride. If you do OK on this, then move up to the Matterhorn (daytime) and Space Mountain. If all goes well, you're ready to move up to Big Thunder back row, Matterhorn at night, and Big Thunder at night (seems much wilder). Then cross the Esplanade and hitch a ride on California Screamin'. That's the Disney coaster progression order as I see it anyway.
                    Last edited by 5hr drive; 01-20-2007, 07:25 PM. Reason: fixed spelling
                    sigpic

Comment

It's been my experience that Big Thunder seems more tame the closer you are to the front of the train. When the train goes up the lift and then releases for the 'drop', the front cars are already halfway down the hill so they don't roll as far. You get most of the momentum in the back.

Both Big Thunder and Space are pretty mild, really. And the Matterhorn is slower than both, but can get rather jerky, so you might not like that.

Good luck, and I'm sure you'll have a blast
                      My Livejournal

Comment

Originally posted by RangerSyl View Post
                        It's been my experience that Big Thunder seems more tame the closer you are to the front of the train.
                        The front is more exciting because you have a better chance of getting your head torn off!

Comment

Don't worry yourself sick Roxy! You'll have fun .

I think they are pretty tame and still fun.

I hope you have fun and enjoy your new challenge .

Comment

Tame especially now that you can see the Space mountain track....

Comment

when you ride these coasters, be careful when you put your arms up, or youll come off with a hand chopped off, there are some some short clearances

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X