This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disneyland without the Internet

Imagine if you will that the internet never existed. There are no fan sites and message boards. What would Disneyland be like? What are the effects the internet has had on the park? Would it be alot less crowed? Would there be less annual pass holders? Would ride openings be smaller events? Has the internet erroded some of the magic? Would Disneyland have been a better place without it?
    When you wish upon a star, your dreams come true, but because of distance, not for millions of years.

This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"

Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Re: Disneyland without the Internet

I know that it has had a definite effect on my experience at Disneyland. I discovered the internet, and MiceChat at the same time that I was planning a trip to Disneyland for the 50th. I know for a fact that my trip was enriched by internet access. I am sure that is true for many.
    BarbaraAnn

Comment

Disney would have to buy more TV ads.
      sigpic

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Comment

I'm with Barbara on this. On a purely personal level if not for the internet and MiceChat, I wouldn't have my AP now, and I wouldn't of been through the gates of Disneyland some 8 times since October.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Originally posted by AGhostFromThePast
        all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

Comment

If it weren't for the internet, I'd be spending a whole lot more money on stamps and postage to get my Disneyland information and brochures, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by phruby View Post
            Imagine if you will that the internet never existed. There are no fan sites and message boards. What would Disneyland be like? What are the effects the internet has had on the park? Would it be alot less crowed? Would there be less annual pass holders? Would ride openings be smaller events? Has the internet erroded some of the magic? Would Disneyland have been a better place without it?
            Well, I was born in Glendale in 1968 so I was able to experience Disneyland before there was an internet. But I don't know if it is the internet that solely influenced today's park or if it has something to do with the change in culture and people's outlook on life. I do know the rides are a lot different. People are less patient with the simple rides like Casey Jr. Even POTC needs to be updated as people's tastes in entertainment become more sophisticated. Also, rides like Buzz Lightyear are a response to the interactivity influenced by the internet.

As far as the crowds are concerned, when I was younger in general I neve remember the park being so constantly crowded like it is now. But also when I was younger, Walt Disney Productions (as it was then called) was not doing so well either. So the fact that the place is currently packed always probably is due to their marketing genius than anything else.

I don't think this would have any effect on annual pass holders. They can renew and buy these on-line, but before the internet this would easily be done through the mail, phone, or at the ticket booths.

One thing for sure, back in the "old days" ride openings were HUGE events. Now it seems like they go for "soft openings" and throw a couple of commercials on TV. I am sure their website announces these events as well, but other than that -- nothing. I remember when Space Mountain opened. They had a huge media event with Astronauts, and Mickey and Minnie dressed up in Space outfits. They even had an hour-long special on TV, prime-time, announcing this event. Things sure have changed. Something tells me the new Subs aren't going to get this much attention when it opens.

I can't say Disneyland would be a better place without it though. Yes, I do think things in general were beter pre-internet days. But Disneyland never stagnates and always changes with the times. The main influence of the internet is that it forces Disneyland to constantly be on its toes as the internet has forced these changes quicken faster and faster.

Comment

you could just as easily say , "imagine what hollywood would be like today without the internet" it effects everything . I'm a HUGE fan of the internet and all it can offer us , but i must say that i can remember 10 years or so ago , before i had the internet that i was just as exited and just as much in love with Disneyland as i am now. without the internet there would be less organized micechat meets , and less exchange of information about new sheds and purple sheets but personally my love of the land does not hinge on the internet

My Maleficent tattoo

Comment

Originally posted by GrimmGreen View Post
                you could just as easily say , "imagine what hollywood would be like today without the internet" it effects everything . I'm a HUGE fan of the internet and all it can offer us , but i must say that i can remember 10 years or so ago , before i had the internet that i was just as exited and just as much in love with Disneyland as i am now. without the internet there would be less organized micechat meets , and less exchange of information about new sheds and purple sheets but personally my love of the land does not hinge on the internet
                I have to agree. Not having the internet wouldn't lessen my love for Disneyland, but it would be harder to satisfy my obsession with the place.
                I'd also really miss knowing that there's so many others out there who feel the same way about Disneyland that I do.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 5hr drive View Post
                  I have to agree. Not having the internet wouldn't lessen my love for Disneyland, but it would be harder to satisfy my obsession with the place.
                  I'd also really miss knowing that there's so many others out there who feel the same way about Disneyland that I do.
                  yes it would be harder to scratch the DL itch , but all that means is MORE TRIPS!!

without getting to cheesy here , i don't think you would miss knowing that theres other people who feel the same way about Disneyland as you because I'm reminded that there are people who feel the same way as me every time i enter the gates and see people smiling and kids laughing

My Maleficent tattoo

Comment

I think the AP has influenced DL even more than the internet.
                    sigpic

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Comment

Fan's would then turn to reading and witting books.
                      Plague Of Vampires | A Novel by Eric and Elizabeth Gerds:

Buy Now at Amazon

Comment

The one thing I miss with the advent of sites like MiceAge is that Disney no longer feels a need to produce documentaries and specials on television like those for the "Disneyland" television series and Disney also doesn't publish the Disney News magazine, anymore.

Disney News was literally a life-changing magazine for me. And, I can't say enough good things about it. But, after Frank Wells died, the publication's operation was moved to New York City, and the periodical became just a clone of Family Fun.

I miss Disney News. And, I hope that Disney creates an on-line version, eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by GrimmGreen View Post
                          yes it would be harder to scratch the DL itch , but all that means is MORE TRIPS!!

without getting to cheesy here , i don't think you would miss knowing that theres other people who feel the same way about Disneyland as you because I'm reminded that there are people who feel the same way as me every time i enter the gates and see people smiling and kids laughing
                          I see your point, but we've made 5-6 trips a year for the last 7 years and it
                          would be next to impossible to increase that. And I do love seeing other people enjoying themselves, with the internet I can do that every day from home. I checked out a few photo trip-reports this morning and it felt like I was there! Now I'm discussing the park with someone from Nevada who I've never met and most likely never will, but I get to chat about DL with someone when otherwise I'd be mumbling about it to myself and getting strange looks!
                          BTW, I think your signature is great. I plan on copying the idea but I won't plagiarize it here. I just want to find my screen-name in the various signs around the park and frame it above my computer. So because of the internet, you've inspired someone.

I just read through this and I think it makes me sound psycho, but what the heck, I'm posting it anyways.
                          sigpic

Comment

See also this thread for a long answer re: internet Disneyland before and after...

http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...t=51231&page=2

Comment

The ONLY thign I believe it would affect would be purchasing tickets ahead of time...Of course I would miss this site, but I doubt it'd affect anything really,
                              "Pain is temporary, Film is Forever..."

http://www.youtube.com/user/DisneyDude

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X