Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When Were the Plaques in the Inner Lobby Added?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When Were the Plaques in the Inner Lobby Added?

While I like the idea of making the transition from the Inner Lobby to Main Street, U.S.A. clearer to guests, I've never been completely satisfied with the somewhat awkward phrasing of: "Here you leave today to enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy."

I found an old picture on www.davelandweb.com that showed keystones where the plaques exist now. So, when were they added?
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 02-11-2007, 12:23 AM.

Re: When Were the Plaques in the Inner Lobby Added?

The plaques are one of those details that most folks assume have been there "for ever" and a big part of the "magic." But as you've noticed, they didn't always exist. I wish I could help you nail down a date.

This is the latest photo I could find from Dave's great site--dated December 1960. So, the plaques weren't even there for the first five years of the Park's life. I wonder if they were put up for 10th anniversary?

Last edited by Steve DeGaetano; 02-10-2007, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
      I wonder if they were put up for 10th anniversary?
      Not according to one photo on his site, dated March 1968. It's the one of B'rer Bear in the same location as the photo you posted. So the plaques were not present after the Tencennial.

"Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSkyDriveBy View Post
        Not according to one photo on his site, dated March 1968. It's the one of B'rer Bear in the same location as the photo you posted. So the plaques were not present after the Tencennial.

Ah... So, Mr. Disney didn't have anything to do with them.

... very interesting.

Comment

More falsehoods spread during DL's 50th:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8575641/

As Marty Sklar nears the entrance to Disneyland, he pauses, looks up, and reads the plaque that has been there since the park opened on July 17, 1955:"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy."

Now I really want to know when those plaques went up!
          "Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

Comment

Did you see the recent video podcast? Someone in the company trotted Sklar out to speak for Walt about all the changes made over the last few years.

It was quite a disgusting spectacle.

http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disn...ventDetailPage

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSkyDriveBy View Post
              Great catch, BSBD!

Comment

ha. how'd she get into a vintage disneyland photo site :P

Comment

Hmmm... nobody seems to know when the plaques were added.
                  Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.

~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

ask city hall or someone on here probably can for you if you'd like

Comment

Originally posted by almandot View Post
                      ask city hall or someone on here probably can for you if you'd like
                      You would think there would be at least on MiceChatter at Disneyland this very second on his or her phone looking at MiceChat.

Comment

Originally posted by almandot View Post
                        ha. how'd she get into a vintage disneyland photo site :P

If you'll notice, Dave says his site includes vinage as well as recent photos.

It's clearly the best site on the internet for old DL photos.

Comment

Yes I noticed he took a trip in 2006, it's just funny going suddenly from pictures in the 1960's to someone you saw the other week

Comment

I'm betting the plaques went up in the 1980's sometime, when Imagineering was newly invigorated and adding little details everywhere as they reworked parts of the Park that had been stagnant for 20+ years.

The installation and look of the plaques alone make me think they are fairly recent. Maybe late 1980's?

Comment

Cool, can anyone confirm that? They'd have to replace or restructure the keystones so the plaque could be placed on the flat surface. I don't know how long that would take, but it could be done in one night or maybe a day or so. It does look like there is some black damage at the bottom...

Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.

~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X