X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chadlingoc
    Ex-CM - Class of 89
    • Jan 2007

Re: If Disneyland closed 1 day a week...

Close one park one day, and the other the following day to fix the parks up. You have to spend money to make money, and I think both the parks could use a spruce up once a week, at least during the non-peak season. Guest will work around the schedule, they did back in the 60's and 70's, and Disneyland is still around.
    Long live the "Happiest Place on Earth" the ORIGINAL, Disneyland.
    Former Cast Member - Class of 89

Comment

• stinkerbell
      Man O Lantern
      • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Disneyland Daddy View Post
      But don't you think it would be a good idea? Cosmetically speaking???
      No.

Originally posted by sleepyjeff View Post
      Of course, Disneyland use to be a special place that locals only visited once or twice a year and out of towners once or twice a life.

Now we have a sizeable portion of guests who spend half their waking hours at the park.....where would they go if the park were closed two days a week
      Originally posted by mikeland View Post
      Disney has spent a LOT of money to make Disneyland into a RESORT destination, not just a one day park. If you closed Disneyland for a day, that'd mean that they'd probably have to lower the hotel prices for the night prior to the closed date because people won't want to be there for that day. Also, they'd lose business in Downtown Disney from all those people that are not at the park.
      As an out-of-towner who likes to go Sun-Thurs, I'd hate a weekly day off. I'd never go down there again! What would be the point? More crowds on the days the park is open? Having to go over a weekend? No thanks! I think it's quite lovely the way it is.

Comment

• Radiobarry
        Angel Fan MC Man
        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by chadlingoc View Post
        Close one park one day, and the other the following day to fix the parks up. You have to spend money to make money, and I think both the parks could use a spruce up once a week, at least during the non-peak season. Guest will work around the schedule, they did back in the 60's and 70's, and Disneyland is still around.
        Agreed. I was around in the 60's and 70's, and there was a lot of work done on the Mondays and Tuesdays the park was closed. Some of that work just can't be done at night. And it would help some of the poor understaffed, overworked CM's as well.

--Barry
        God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

• mini_imagineer
          Someone's excited!
          • Jun 2006

Maybe at least once every other month. Then I think that it could be more in order.
          Still wishing for that AP....:blush:

Future Imagineer, right here!

"Have I really been on MiceChat for TWO HOURS?!?!?!?" -Me

Comment

• DisneyDude2006
            Comin' at ya!
            • Oct 2006

I like the idea of night shifts
            "Pain is temporary, Film is Forever..."

http://www.youtube.com/user/DisneyDude

Comment

• Alice's Wonderland
              Directly directed
              • Feb 2005

I'd be fine with one day a week closing earlier, to give that 3rd shift more time but not closing down one whole day.

Comment

• Not Quite Cpt Jack
                Ignore the meager number
                • Oct 2006

Would be nice, don't see it happening
                Yo ho!

Comment

• PirateMickey
                  A Pirate's life for me!
                  • Sep 2005

Originally posted by tahoebob54 View Post
                  the simple reason they are not fixed now is not lack of time, but a lack of commitment to have them fixed.

Bingo!

Disney is beyond the point of being able to close for a day. Too much other activity relies on the Parks being there and being OPEN. Back in the "good 'ol days", far fewer folks traveled and did recreational activities during the week. In today's 24/7 world, folks from almost every industry have weekdays off, and they want to enjoy them. DL is the place that they can enjoy, but only when it is OPEN.

Hotels, restaurants, shuttles, DCA, DTD, etc... What happens to all of them on the closed day??? Should they close too??? I don't think so.

They could never get enough repairs/maintenance done in one day to justify closing the gates. They have a process in place now. They just need to fully utilize it.

Closing for a day??? Aint gonna happen...

Comment

• Disneylandrocks55
                    Official Mice Chat person
                    • Apr 2005

Why not have a minamal day once a week? Every Monday night close at 6, and give the 3rd shift better hours so they have more motivation to actually maintain the park.

Comment

• SpokkerJones
                      Banned User
                      • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Disneylandrocks55 View Post
                      Why not have a minamal day once a week? Every Monday night close at 6, and give the 3rd shift better hours so they have more motivation to actually maintain the park.
                      I don't think it's the third shifters dropping the ball here.

Comment

• Quacky4Donald
                        Don't Mess With The Duck!
                        • Oct 2006

Originally posted by SpokkerJones View Post
                        I don't think it's the third shifters dropping the ball here.
                        Agreed. Why not pay better, hire more crew, maintain the ample amount of supplies needed to repair things at all times, and do a daily/nightly inspection of every single attraction. If an attraction seems pretty beat up close it down for a day or two. I'd much rather see a ride be shut down for two days due to maintenence than go on the ride and find out the seat cushion I'm on has a gapping hole in it.

...Joe...

Comment

• SCUBAbe
                          no flash photography...
                          • Jan 2005

I think they should, but I do have a question....back in the day when the park was closed to the public isn't that hen walt had the private parties?

Comment

• InnoVentGuY
                            i go around and around
                            • Feb 2007

people who say 3rd shift goal is to "get the minimum doe" obviously has not gone two consecutive days in a row right at the christmas transition. In one night the park goes through a huuuuuge reconfiguration. And they do as much touching up as they can during the third shift. There is a janitorial staff and a staff for maintenance obviously, if they only had people that cleaned as well as painted, the whole park would fall apart.
                            I am peter pan... i will never grow up

If you want to argue... look below...

Cyanide & Happiness @ Explosm.net
                            if you cant type with the 1337 stay out of the forum

"your an east sider, she's a west sider. It just wouldn't work out, besides, think of how the children would turn out"

Comment

• Walt Jr.
                              It's all about Theme!
                              • Aug 2006

No Way, soon that little habit may become even worse! Plus, the work is already done at night anyway.
                              Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
                              "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
                              -August 1st 2010

And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
                              -August 2nd 2010

Comment

• The International
                                Unhelpful User
                                • Aug 2006

I don't think those things remain uncared for because of time. If they really wanted to fix the park cosmetically they could do it at night easily. It's more a matter of managers not specifically caring about chipped paint or other cosmetic problems.

Comment

• Radiobarry
                                  Angel Fan MC Man
                                  • Apr 2005

Originally posted by SCUBAbe View Post
                                  I think they should, but I do have a question....back in the day when the park was closed to the public isn't that hen walt had the private parties?
                                  I don't know about when Walt was still alive, but in the 70's at least when the park was closed, they did have minor events from time to time...including movie nights for employees and families at the Opera House (Disney movies, of course - it was great fun!) But with rare exception nothing involving the park itself on Monday and Tuesday.

For the most part, the large private parties (Bank Of America Night and so forth) at that time were held after the park closed to the public on Friday and Saturday nights, with "mix-in" parties on Sundays. Again, this was during my employee time there '74 to 82.

--Barry
                                  God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

• InnoVentGuY
                                    i go around and around
                                    • Feb 2007

i know most of our employee events now happen after the park closes or before the park opens... unless im missing something of course...
                                    I am peter pan... i will never grow up

If you want to argue... look below...

Cyanide & Happiness @ Explosm.net
                                    if you cant type with the 1337 stay out of the forum

"your an east sider, she's a west sider. It just wouldn't work out, besides, think of how the children would turn out"

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                    Working...
                                    X