Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying my first AP . . .

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Buying my first AP . . .

    Hey guys!

    I'm finally buying my first AP. We decided that with our 3-day trips to Disneyland two or three times a year, it would be cheaper to buy a Deluxe AP.

    So, with that, I guess I've read somewhere before that you can buy a 3-day pass and then on the last day, convert it to an AP so you can make your AP just a couple days longer. Is that true? And if it is, does that work with the So. Cal CityPass too? We'll be going on March 5 and are trying to decide what to do.


    By the way, I've been lurking around this site for about a year now and I love it!
    Maggie doesn't get along with the other babies . . .

  • #2
    Re: Buying my first AP . . .

    Welcome to Mice Chat!

    I am almost positive you can put the money you spent on tickets toward a pass but I dont know about a City Pass

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Buying my first AP . . .

      Originally posted by Laughin'Place View Post
      Hey guys!

      I'm finally buying my first AP. We decided that with our 3-day trips to Disneyland two or three times a year, it would be cheaper to buy a Deluxe AP.

      So, with that, I guess I've read somewhere before that you can buy a 3-day pass and then on the last day, convert it to an AP so you can make your AP just a couple days longer. Is that true? And if it is, does that work with the So. Cal CityPass too? We'll be going on March 5 and are trying to decide what to do.


      By the way, I've been lurking around this site for about a year now and I love it!
      I thought that the start date of a converted pass would be the first day of the multi-day park-hopper?
      I don't think this would work with a City Pass. Darkbeer knows better than I.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Buying my first AP . . .

        When we got our AP's in August we converted 5-day hoppers. And yes, the start of the AP is the date you first used your park-hopper. In our case we used our park hopper first on August 5th and then after the blackout dates, August 7th, we converted them and our AP's expire on 8-5-07. This is a neat trick to do, if you plan on attending during blackout dates, use the park-hoppers during that time and convert them afterwards.

        As for City Pass, I don't know, sediment stated it best, "Darkbeer knews better than I."
        Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Buying my first AP . . .

          I think you might be able to use the value of the Disneyland portion of the CityPass towards an AP.

          If I remember correctly, they valued the 3-Day pass part of it at $150 last summer. I know you can upgrade to a longer pass from the CityPass (I've done so) so I can't see why they wouldn't credit you the same amount towards an AP.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Buying my first AP . . .

            Originally posted by KISSman View Post
            I think you might be able to use the value of the Disneyland portion of the CityPass towards an AP.

            If I remember correctly, they valued the 3-Day pass part of it at $150 last summer. I know you can upgrade to a longer pass from the CityPass (I've done so) so I can't see why they wouldn't credit you the same amount towards an AP.
            If you buy a 3-Day Hopper at DL then they are typically $149 and that would be the value applied towards the AP. However for CityPass they are advertising that the Disney portion of it is valued at $150 but that is not what you pay for it. The CityPass is $235 but valued at $329 so Disney will only credit what you actually paid into the CityPass portion. This is exactly what happened last year when we updated, we had 5-Day hoppers which are valued at $199 but since we bought our tickets as a Disney package trip, the ticket portion was only something like $90. This is not a loop hole where you can get Park Hoppers real cheap and then convert them to AP's for next to nothing.

            Hope this helps, I just don't want anyone getting their hopes up you buy the CityPass for $235, go to SeaWorld, San Diego Zoo and Universal and then hope to convert a 3-Day hopper which they believes has a face value of $150 to a Deluxe AP for another $100.

            Is it still a good way to get an AP, absolutely since you can use the Hopper on blockouts. But that is the only advantage, there is no financial gain in doing so. Good luck.
            Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Buying my first AP . . .

              For 1-2 times a year and 3 days of stay. I suggest the Southern California Pass. (Do you have to be a SO Cal member to buy that one?)

              If so, I recommend the Deluxe.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Buying my first AP . . .

                Originally posted by DLandFansAZ View Post
                If you buy a 3-Day Hopper at DL then they are typically $149 and that would be the value applied towards the AP. However for CityPass they are advertising that the Disney portion of it is valued at $150 but that is not what you pay for it. The CityPass is $235 but valued at $329 so Disney will only credit what you actually paid into the CityPass portion. This is exactly what happened last year when we updated, we had 5-Day hoppers which are valued at $199 but since we bought our tickets as a Disney package trip, the ticket portion was only something like $90. This is not a loop hole where you can get Park Hoppers real cheap and then convert them to AP's for next to nothing.

                Hope this helps, I just don't want anyone getting their hopes up you buy the CityPass for $235, go to SeaWorld, San Diego Zoo and Universal and then hope to convert a 3-Day hopper which they believes has a face value of $150 to a Deluxe AP for another $100.
                Actually, the standard 3-Day park hopper is valued at $179 when you buy it at the park, but Disneyland will only value the CityPass version at $150 when using it towards adding additional days (at least that was the case for me this past summer).

                I remember the disappointment I felt when it cost $50 per ticket to upgrade to a 4-Day Hopper instead of $20 it would have been if I were upgrading from a normal Disneyland 3-Day Hopper.

                Saying that, I agree that someone needs to check and make sure with Disneyland first before they get their hopes up. Personally, I'm not sure if you can upgrade to a full-blown AP, but it does have value towards additional days.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Buying my first AP . . .

                  Originally posted by barfownz View Post
                  For 1-2 times a year and 3 days of stay. I suggest the Southern California Pass. (Do you have to be a SO Cal member to buy that one?)
                  You have to live in southern California and proof of residency is required.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Buying my first AP . . .

                    So the other options for none So Calers are Deluxe and Premium?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Buying my first AP . . .

                      Originally posted by barfownz View Post
                      So the other options for none So Calers are Deluxe and Premium?
                      Exactly. And for So. Cal. it's based on zip codes:

                      Originally posted by disneyland.com
                      Tickets valid for Southern California residents within ZIP codes 90000-93599. Proof of residency required.
                      Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Buying my first AP . . .

                        I have the Deluxe and i'm lovin' it so far.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Buying my first AP . . .

                          Welcome to MiceChat, you'll love it!

                          And congrats on your first AP, you'll love that even more!!
                          Love Is An Open Door
                          :love:


                          http://facebook.com/PatrickDisneyGuy

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Buying my first AP . . .

                            So now I know that the reason people get a Park Hopper first and then the AP is so they can go on blackout days for the first little while. I always wondered what the advantage was. Thanks.

                            With the Deluxe AP the only blackout days are some Saturdays and a few holidays and the weeks around Christmas, which are days we wouldn't go anyway.

                            And I'm not from So. Cal so I can't get the cheaper APs . . . I wish I could though!
                            Maggie doesn't get along with the other babies . . .

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Buying my first AP . . .

                              Originally posted by Laughin'Place View Post
                              With the Deluxe AP the only blackout days are some Saturdays and a few holidays and the weeks around Christmas, which are days we wouldn't go anyway.
                              Yep, sounds like the Deluxe is the way to go. Also, if you are going to be staying at a hotel close to the park you may not need to add parking.
                              Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X