• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HBG2
    Inhospitable about happy
    • May 2006

Long-forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect?

Mod Note: Added at the request of the OP:

A subject index for this thread has been compiled, in the hope that it may make the thread more useful for HM fans who wish to consult it: http://micechat.com/forums/showpost....1&postcount=22

Welcome, foolish mortals, to a rambling, wide-ranging discussion and analysis of Haunted Mansion history, secrets, and trivia. I had no idea that the simple post below, linking to a discussion of a long-forgotten HM effect, would evolve into one of the most popular threads MiceChat ever hosted. To all who contributed to what we came to call The Thread, my thanks.

For you historical Disneyland buffs and Haunted Mansion freaks (you know who you are), here's a link to a discussion over at Doombuggies about the possibility that the original hitchhiking-ghost-in-mirror effect was radically different:

If that link is dead, try this one: http://www.micechat.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=30
    Last edited by IndianaJenn; 10-10-2007, 11:51 AM. Reason: adding an intro to the whole thread
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog..
  • aashee
    Skeevy Ray Vaughan
    • Aug 2006

Re: Long-forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect?

Thanks HatBox. Any HM historical info is allright in my book.

Chad

Comment

• fo'c's'le swab
      Blind to His Own Faults
      • Dec 2006

It is more than appropriate that we get this info about a long-gone cool HM effect from the Hat Box Ghost!! Thanks for the info! Good post!

Comment

• LlamaLover
        Back After Missing MC
        • May 2006

Originally posted by HBG2 View Post
        For you historical Disneyland buffs and Haunted Mansion freaks (you know who you are), here's a link to a discussion over at Doombuggies about the possibility that the original hitchhiking-ghost-in-mirror effect was radically different:

http://p080.ezboard.com/The-ORIGINAL...cID=6621.topic
        Thanks for the link HBG2. It is firewalled (I am at work) but I will have to check it out when I get home.

Comment

• DisneyIPresume
          Beach Expert
          • Sep 2006

Finally someone who may be able to confirm whether or not I am making up something in my own mind?

Do you remember anything about the ballroom scene in the old days and people throwing gum and stuff through the dancing ghosts? I understand a window is there in order to produce this effect, but I swear on a stack of bibles that when I was a kid (Late 60's - mid '70's) people used to do this.

Comment

• HBG2
            Inhospitable about happy
            • May 2006

Originally posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
            Finally someone who may be able to confirm whether or not I am making up something in my own mind?

Do you remember anything about the ballroom scene in the old days and people throwing gum and stuff through the dancing ghosts? I understand a window is there in order to produce this effect, but I swear on a stack of bibles that when I was a kid (Late 60's - mid '70's) people used to do this.
            Sorry, but what you describe is simply impossible. The ballroom ghosts are actually PRODUCED by the reflections in those giant sheets of glass. They wouldn't exist without the glass, which are among the largest panes ever made. So I'm afraid it is physically impossible for people to throw things through those ghosts, and it's been that way since the HM was built.

Comment

• almandot
              Shubisha
              • Apr 2005

ya the glass would have to be there for effect and the whole reason the cobweb thing started was because they can't even remove it and replace it without taking off the show building's roof isn't it?:P so now they added the plexiglass on the balcony as a shield for the glass doing the effect etc..

Comment

• DisneyIPresume
                Beach Expert
                • Sep 2006

Sorry, but what you describe is simply impossible. The ballroom ghosts are actually PRODUCED by the reflections in those giant sheets of glass. They wouldn't exist without the glass, which are among the largest panes ever made. So I'm afraid it is physically impossible for people to throw things through those ghosts, and it's been that way since the HM was built.
                There was much debate on this issue in another thread and I don't really want this to resurface. In all fairness I did take a closer look at the ballroom the last time I went on and it looks like the glass is offset a bit, and actually goes through the thin columns located about 3-4 feet away from the doombuggy platform. I suppose the person who told me they did this was fooling themselves more than anything.

Comment

• PumpkinKingJack
                  Born is Sin Come Right In
                  • Apr 2005

I Had wondered what happened to this!
                  Signature is Pending review

Comment

• HBG2
                    Inhospitable about happy
                    • May 2006

Originally posted by PumpkinKingJack View Post
                    I Had wondered what happened to this!
                    What's the "this" you're referring to?

Comment

• GrouchyRob
                      Damn Good Burger!
                      • Oct 2005

What's the "this" you're referring to?
                      Main Entry: 1this Pronunciation: \ˈthis, thəs\ Function: pronoun Inflected Form(s): plural these thēz\ Etymology: Middle English, pron. & adjective, from Old English thes (masculine), this (neuter); akin to Old High German dese this, Old English that Date: before 12th century 1 a (1): the person, thing, or idea that is present or near in place, time, or thought or that has just been mentioned <these are my hands> (2): what is stated in the following phrase, clause, or discourse <I can only say this: it wasn't here yesterday> b: this time or place <expected to return before this>2 a: the one nearer or more immediately under observation or discussion <this is iron and that is tin> b: the one more recently referred to

Comment

• Druggas
                        Hooterville, USA
                        • Feb 2005

Any info on the HM is always welcome.
                        sigpic

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Comment

• Opus1guy
                          • Sep 2005

I was there on opening day of the Haunted Mansion, and all I remember were the long, long lines...and some brat that decided to pounce on a packet of ketchup while in line...strafing myself and a few others with thick staining condiment. I came this close to supplying the Mansion with their 1,000th ghost right then and there...that's for sure!

Comment

• WeloveDisney
                            • Aug 2005

Does anyone remember in the 80s when you are going through the room of doors and hallways, a knight in armor jumping out and putting his arm or sword in the buggy? I distinctly remember this as a kid, it was a real person standing in the corner in armor, after the buggy turns so you are moving backwards. To this day, I have to sit so when the buggy turns, I am on the left hand side incase he's back.

It only happened one time and I've never about it since, but does anyone else know about this?
                            I love Disneyland Resort!:blush:

Comment

• fo'c's'le swab
                              Blind to His Own Faults
                              • Dec 2006

Originally posted by WeloveDisney View Post
                              Does anyone remember in the 80s when you are going through the room of doors and hallways, a knight in armor jumping out and putting his arm or sword in the buggy? I distinctly remember this as a kid, it was a real person standing in the corner in armor, after the buggy turns so you are moving backwards. To this day, I have to sit so when the buggy turns, I am on the left hand side incase he's back.

It only happened one time and I've never about it since, but does anyone else know about this?
                              Yes, luckily it was a short-lived experiment. It scared the pants off me (fortunately, since I was in the HM, my pants were already half-off )!!

Comment

• DisneyIPresume
                                Beach Expert
                                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by WeloveDisney View Post

OMG. I'll never forget. One time I was riding and my doombuggy was moving backward and all of a sudden this knight jumps from behind, right in front of my face. I instinctively screamed at the top of my lungs, "Oh, S***!" And he made a shushing motion because of my vulgarity. And that got me even more upset because I didn't ask to get the crap scared out of me! It was an automatic reflex... I should have complained to City Hall if I knew about that back in those days!

Comment

• Asterix
                                  • Mar 2005

Wow, thanks for the great link! Neat discussion.

Originally posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
                                  One time I was riding and my doombuggy was moving backward and all of a sudden this knight jumps from behind, right in front of my face. I instinctively screamed at the top of my lungs, "Oh, S***!"
                                  His nickname was "Oh S***!" because that's what so many people used to scream out when he scared them! I think someone was going to make him an "Oh S***" nametag at one point.

The live actor appeared in some other guises as well, but the suit of armor was most commonly used.

Comment

• barfownz
                                    Legend
                                    • Nov 2005

Where can the Hatbox ghost be spotted?

Comment

• RobotMirror
                                      Neep meep beep
                                      • Apr 2006

Only in your nightmares, son.

Comment

• HBG2
                                        Inhospitable about happy
                                        • May 2006

Originally posted by barfownz View Post
                                        Where can the Hatbox ghost be spotted?
                                        If you were lucky enough to ride the HM within the first weeks of its opening in August of 1969, you would have seen this ghost in the attic. The lighting never worked quite right, and so they removed him. He's been a legend ever since.

(gif created by: http://myspace.com/maddartist )

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X