How would Walt feel if he saw the park today?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tiwat
    Carry On My Wayward Son..
    • Feb 2007

How would Walt feel if he saw the park today?

Sometimes when I stroll around Disneyland admiring the little details, I happen to spot the not so admirable details, such as chipped paint, burnt out bulbs, rotting wood (e.g. the Mark Twain) and I'm always reminded that went Walt was walking around the part he'd make sure everything was painted, all burnt out bulbs would be replaced right away..and there's no way he'd let anything go into decay!Granted the park has been put into better shape for the 50th but these are things that should be enforced every single day!

I mean this was a man that would spend that extra dollar to make something happen, like he put a second mortgage on his house and did all sorts of crazy financial moves to make Disneyland happen...and he built the WHOLE place in a YEAR..now attractions take years with mediocre entertainment (Pooh ride) So now I ask, what do you people think Walt would do/say about his beloved park? I'd think the pooh is gonna fly!
    From Family Guy:

When Brian the dog meets Michael Eisner at the car wash...

"Come to Disneyland!!!!! BRING MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

• dolewhipman
    Banned User
    • Feb 2007

Re: How would Walt feel if he saw the park today?

I have acutally thought the same thing.

Comment

• Osky
      Knight of Naughtyness
      • Oct 2006

That is a tough one. The only one who really knows is Walt.

He probably wouldn't be too pleased about the secret bathroom.
      -Osky

Originally posted by sleepyjeff
      Before we totally disregard extremism; lets remember the lesson of the 3 little pigs.

The moderate pig lost his house to the wolf too
      .-- .. .-.. .-.. / .- -. -.-- --- -. . / -... --- - .... . .-. / - --- / - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - . / - .... .. ... ..--..

Comment

• I Heart Disneyland
        Banned User
        • Aug 2005

I think he'd be happy that imagination is still alive, and that there are things moving forward in the park. I also think he'd be sad if he saw the chipped paint, etc. that was mentioned.

Comment

• DisneyLandFreak88
          • Apr 2006

Agree

Comment

• Tiwat
            • Feb 2007

Oh yea, not to mention the removal of the skyway that was one of his best ideas for the park...
            From Family Guy:

Comment

• MellyMouse
              I am a Pluto lover
              • Feb 2005

I think he would be amazed at the crowds
              Mellymouse

(do you think the Finding Nemo Subs line will be under 3 hours by then?)

Comment

• Motorboat Cruiser
                debating what to put here
                • Jan 2005

The skyway was one of Walt's best ideas?
                "How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?"
                - Satchel Paige

Comment

• ~xxBooxx~
                  "714"
                  • Aug 2006

He would be pretty p.o. about tomorrowland! If hes not already rolling in his grave about it.

NO DOUBT SUMMER 09 TOUR!
                  MAY 22 SAN DIEGO/AUG 2 IRVINE

Comment

• justjohn
                    Mr. Faranheit
                    • Jul 2006

I've always wondered what Walt would have thought about all of this speculation over what he would have thought...

What?
                    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

Comment

• Tiwat
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Motorboat Cruiser View Post
                      The skyway was one of Walt's best ideas?

I thought it was..I mean it takes you from when end of the park to the other, saving you walking time, it gives you a great view, it went THROUGH the matterhorn mountain an innovative idea Walt came up with which was received with much shock and skeptism, and during fireworks shows, you got a view like no other..i heard this one story of a guy proposing to his girl in the skyway cabin AS the fireworks were going off..i would LOVE to perform a proposal like that!
                      From Family Guy:

Comment

• cal4iri
                        • Mar 2006

I think he'd either hate Heely's or really love them and have a pair for himself..........

Really though, I think the park would be a lot different if Walt were still alive.

Comment

• fo'c's'le swab
                          Blind to His Own Faults
                          • Dec 2006

"Where the hell is the Parking Lot?"

Comment

• Saddlesore Swanson
                            • Jan 2006

Ah yes, the old "WWWD(OT)" - What Would Walt Do (Or Think)...

Here's a theory that I don't often see:

Maybe he wouldn't really care that much about the park(s). In the same way that he lost interest in animated films while building Disneyland, many reports have stated that toward the end of his life he was losing interest in DL as he became more consumed with his (original vision for) EPCOT.

When discussing his Project X (aka WDW), sure he was gonna have a theme park just like DL, but what he was really excited about was his experimental city.

So maybe he wouldn't be overly concerned with his theme park(s). He mighta been too busy building cities.
                            Magic Journeys...

Comment

• Opus1guy
                              • Sep 2005

Being 106 years old...I'd bet he'd be feeling pretty crappy.

I think this question comes up a couple times a month here.

Seriously though...I think the "What would Walt" questions can be valid ones. Though mainly only for "fun" purposes.

But I think you have to be more specific with the question. I think you need to specify:

- What would Walt think of "X" today if he were brought back with the same 1966 mindset he had as when he died?

Or

- What would Walt think of "X" today if he had lived and his perspectives and opinions would have likely changed over the years just like most people's do?

On some basic issues, such as letting the Park get run down and dirty...I don't personally think there's any debate or question at all: He wouldn't like it.
                              Last edited by Opus1guy; 03-09-2007, 12:49 PM.

Comment

• fo'c's'le swab
                                Blind to His Own Faults
                                • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Opus1guy View Post
                                Being 106 years old...I'd bet he'd be feeling pretty crappy.

But is it Walt, or just his head...

Comment

• nemofinder22
                                  A Beautiful Tomorrow!
                                  • Jul 2005

A side from the chipped paint and little things like that I think he would be amazed to see what the place has grown into after all these years, the new things that have been added, the new fireworks, the new tech. in HM as welll as many other attractions, the Fantasyland remodel.

The fact that Disneyland is so great to so many people and so so many websites including Micechat which as meets every Sunday in his special park. Sure theres little flaws here and there like a broken AA , burnt out light bulb or chipped paint but if you look and see what Walts little kingdom has done to touch so many lives here and around the world I think he would be even more proud.
                                  "We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." Walt Disney

Comment

• mainstreetcm
                                    Disneyland is your land.
                                    • Jan 2006

Originally posted by tvikorn View Post
                                    Sometimes when I stroll around Disneyland admiring the little details, I happen to spot the not so admirable details, such as chipped paint, burnt out bulbs, rotting wood (e.g. the Mark Twain) and I'm always reminded that went Walt was walking around the part he'd make sure everything was painted, all burnt out bulbs would be replaced right away..and there's no way he'd let anything go into decay!Granted the park has been put into better shape for the 50th but these are things that should be enforced every single day!

I mean this was a man that would spend that extra dollar to make something happen, like he put a second mortgage on his house and did all sorts of crazy financial moves to make Disneyland happen...and he built the WHOLE place in a YEAR..now attractions take years with mediocre entertainment (Pooh ride) So now I ask, what do you people think Walt would do/say about his beloved park? I'd think the pooh is gonna fly!
                                    Yeah there might be chips of paint here and there, burnt out lamps etc. But these are things are minor problems compared to some other parks around the country.

Don't get me wrong. There are countless things that managment is doing wrong in the park in my own eyes. But I honestly think there could be a little more effort given from managment in other areas -- namely cast members.

And honestly, if a rude cast member has ruined your 'Disney Experience' YOU aren't going to care that much about the chipped paint on the wall behind the said cast member.
                                    Class of 2005...

Comment

• SCUBAbe
                                      no flash photography...
                                      • Jan 2005

I don't think he would be that upset about chipped paint and other stuff. I've seen pictures of the park from his day with light bulbs out and a ladder on main street doing some sort of repair while the park was open.

besides when he passed he was about ready to aim his focus on WDW. Once a project was finished he usually moved on without looking back.

Comment

• Steve DeGaetano
                                        Banned User
                                        • Feb 2005

He'd grab some gauntlet gloves, order the engineer aside, and hop in the cab of the E.P. Ripley, exuberant at the fact that his steam trains are still running and exciting guests every day. Then he'd blow the whistle and chew up the mainline.

(yes, I know they're currently down.)

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X