• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ride Warrior
    Iron-Clad Allie
    • Feb 2005

Jedi Escourting Star Tours 2 To Tomorrowland

Rumor has it that tha DL execs are so excited about the success of Jedi Training Academy that they are pushing for the much talked about project to open in '08. With '07 marking the 20th aniversary of StarTours (the 30th for StarWars), it makes perfect sense that we may hear an official announcement of the ride this year. Lucas himself mentioned the project in '05 at "Celebration III" held at the Indiana convention center. http://www.comingsoon.net/news/topnews.php?id=9301

With today's technology, a new film could be quite breath taking and mind blowing. Wouldn't it be great if the buzz that was going a year or so ago about multiple endings should prove to be true?!.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 03-09-2007, 04:34 PM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• TheDude
    The Fantasyland guy
    • Jan 2005

Re: Jedi Escourting Star Tours 2 To Tomorrowland

This would be a dream come true... but I wont hold my breath until I see something in print about it.

Star tours is one of my fav's, but it is quite old.

Comment

• Moonliner
      Quality not quantity
      • Jan 2005

Star tours is so eclipsed by attractions like Soaring I really have trouble seeing why they keep it around. Even if they add HD video and multiple endings it's still going to seem (to me at least) like a sad little shadow of Soaring.
      "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

Comment

• fo'c's'le swab
        Blind to His Own Faults
        • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Moonliner View Post
        Star tours is so eclipsed by attractions like Soaring I really have trouble seeing why they keep it around. Even if they add HD video and multiple endings it's still going to seem (to me at least) like a sad little shadow of Soaring.

"Do not underestimate the power of The Force"
        "Do you guys hear that breathing sound, too, or is it just me?"
        Last edited by fo'c's'le swab; 03-09-2007, 03:23 PM.

Comment

• jimmay
          • Jul 2006

Make no mistake. If George Lucas really wants to do something (and he does, Star Tours' dated image is reflecting poorly on the franchise) he will do it. The clout and influence he weilds, as well as his determination, will see it done so. At celebration III, he said it would get an overhaul soon, not could. Likewise, I'm sure Disney wants to do something with the attraction, which sadly sports technology that was in every shopping mall in the country a couple years later, and barely ever commands more than a 5 minute wait, even in attraction-starved Tomorrowland.
          Forget 'Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln,' Samantha Brown is Disney's most sophisticated animatronic.
          Tokyo Disneyland: 2009, 2012
          Disneyland Paris: 2010
          Hong Kong Disneyland: 2012
          Universal Orlando: 2007, 2010 (twice!)
          Efteling:2011
          Lotte World: 2012

Comment

• Abominable Snowman
            Premium Youngling and
            • Aug 2006

I would be so excited to see this ride get a revamp. Now dont get me wrong, I loved that ride when I was little but it just doesnt do it for me anymore, and I LOVE Star Wars! I just think it needs some serious updating

Comment

• cal4iri
              • Mar 2006

Originally posted by jimmay View Post
              Make no mistake. If George Lucas really wants to do something (and he does, Star Tours' dated image is reflecting poorly on the franchise) he will do it. The clout and influence he weilds, as well as his determination, will see it done so. At celebration III, he said it would get an overhaul soon, not could. Likewise, I'm sure Disney wants to do something with the attraction, which sadly sports technology that was in every shopping mall in the country a couple years later, and barely ever commands more than a 5 minute wait, even in attraction-starved Tomorrowland.
              I agree, if George Lucas really wants this he's going to do whatever he can to make it the best out there.
              And you know damn well he'll have a say in it.

Comment

• Dustysage
                Man of mystery and
                MiceChat Administrator
                • Jan 2005

I've been in favor of the new ride film for years. Star Wars is as popular as ever. Best capitalize on it while they still can.

Pod Racers here we come
                MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook: .

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,
                Save

Comment

• 2DieFR
                  MiceChatter
                  • Jun 2005

This has been an ongoing rumor for a decade, if not longer. I saved a newspaper article about TL 98's opening from May 17th of that year, and in the diagram of the land, over Star Tours it says:

I don't doubt that the right potential and the right people to do it are all there, but until I hear it from a press release or from Al, I'll only expect "first flights."
                  Last edited by 2DieFR; 03-09-2007, 02:53 PM.

Comment

• CowofDisney
                    MiceChatter
                    • Aug 2006

Wouldn't it be fun if they played the old film on the anniversary of it's opening every year if it was replaced

Comment

• Blueharvest1138
                      Star Tours Fan
                      • Apr 2005

'07 is Star Wars 30th. Star Tours 20th.

Originally posted by Ride Warrior View Post
                      Rumor has it that tha DL execs are so excited about the success of Jedi Training Academy that they are pushing for the much talked about project to open in '08. With '07 marking the 20th aniversary of StarWars, it makes perfect sense that we may hear an official announcement of the ride this year. Lucas himself mentioned mentioned the project in '05 at "Celebration III" held at the Indiana convention center. http://www.comingsoon.net/news/topnews.php?id=9301

With today's technology, a new film could be quite breath taking and mind blowing. Wouldn't it be great if the buzz that was going a year or so ago about multiple endings should prove to be true?!.

Comment

• adormouse
                        Lost in Wonderland
                        • Jul 2006

I'd love if if the Star Tours got an update. I really expected it a lot sooner when the newer movies came out, but late is better than never!

Comment

• phruby
                          Star Tours Tour Guide
                          • Mar 2005

By reading the title, I was hoping that they would have a cast member dressed up as a jedi riding star tours with you. It would make a great year of a million dreams prize. Wouldn't it be great if Chewie or some ewoks rode the ride with you like in the safety video?
                          When you wish upon a star, your dreams come true, but because of distance, not for millions of years.

This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"

Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Comment

• Ride Warrior
                            Iron-Clad Allie
                            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by TheDude View Post
                            This would be a dream come true... but I wont hold my breath until I see something in print about it.

Star tours is one of my fav's, but it is quite old.
                            Asdated as it is, people the world over still enjoyed it. My niece and nephews are hard core roller coaster fanatics, I they got a thrill out of StarTours when they road the attraction for the first time a couple of years ago.

For those of us that have rode the ride into the ground, a change will be more than welcome...for most.

Originally posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post

:lmao: Nothing more frightening than a heavy breathing Sith Lord. Any new SW ride will incorporate technologies that will blow most everything else out of the universe...elements of Soaring's tech may even be incorporated into it.

I think that we will experience virtual holography in a way unparraled. Lucas is an innovater extraordinaire...and VERY determined to develop unique products.

President Kennedy arguably promoted the NASA space program more than any other American president...before or since. I'll never forget his imortal words, "I dream things that never were and say, "Why not?"

Originally posted by Dustysage View Post
                            I've been in favor of the new ride film for years. Star Wars is as popular as ever. Best capitalize on it while they still can.

Pod Racers here we come
                            Go Pod Racer! Go Pod Racer! Go Pod Racer, Go-oooo!

It would RULE to be totally emersed in a virtual race among the stars.

Originally posted by phruby View Post
                            By reading the title, I was hoping that they would have a cast member dressed up as a jedi riding star tours with you. It would make a great year of a million dreams prize. Wouldn't it be great if Chewie or some ewoks rode the ride with you like in the safety video?
                            What a fantastic idea. This may well be a future possibility realized.

Padme's the one that I would like to ride with...but I'd likely have to settle for a Wooki. Perhaps, during a soft opening we'll all get a "Wooki". :lol:
                            Last edited by Ride Warrior; 03-10-2007, 01:07 PM.
                            To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Comment

• ryborg
                              MiceChatter
                              • Apr 2005

I personally hate Soaring... so cheesy! I cant be the only one who would prefer Star Tours over Soaring any day.
                              Ryborg

Comment

• Koutesu
                                Koubu Pilot
                                • Jul 2005

Originally posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post

Do not underestimate the power of Licensing.

Comment

• demento57
                                  n/a
                                  • Aug 2006

I wonder if Solo will make an appearance... since pirates are so hot right now

Comment

• Lex the Robot
                                    Rookie
                                    • Nov 2006

At celebration III, he said it would get an overhaul soon, not could.
                                    I was in the audience of that chat with George, on April 23rd 2005, in the Sagamore Ballroom of the Indianapolis Convention Center... and I don't recall him sounding quite so definite.

In fact, here's a transcript of that particular Q & A which I typed up for an earlier Micechat thread.

Q: Now that the Star Wars films are done, what's the future of Star Wars and Disney in the Parks?

Rick McCallum: There's only one person who can answer that.

George Lucas: Well, I'm actually not the one. It's Howard Roffman [President of Lucas Licensing] that can answer that. Uh, we... they're hoping to, to revamp Star Tours.

(Audience goes nuts.)

George Lucas: I must say that they've come up with some really amazing ideas, but we've... as you know, Disney's had a few changes in management and whatnot, uh, which actually may move the whole thing forward a little faster, because these plans have been on the boards for, I don't know, about five or six years now. I think they started saying they were going to revamp it when we did Episode I [Phantom Menace came out in 1999]. Uh, so I'm not quite sure what they're gonna do.

Here's the previous thread:
                                    Click here: Renovation of Star Tours? - Page 8 - MiceChat

Notice how Lucas basically washes his hands of responsibility on this decision. He even stops himself every time he starts to say "we" and changes his wording to say "they".

Lex
                                    sigpic

Comment

• Coheteboy
                                      Starcruiser.. crash crash
                                      MiceChat Moderator
                                      • Sep 2005

I disagree. Star Tours is STILL a great ride. Sure it needs to be spruced up with modern day technology, but dust & scratches or not, this attraction can still pull in a 45 minute wait on a busy day.

Originally posted by ryborg View Post
                                      I personally hate Soaring... so cheesy! I cant be the only one who would prefer Star Tours over Soaring any day.
                                      I don't hate Soarin', but add me to the list of preferring Star Tours over Soarin'.

And speaking of which, I was working on something that Paul Ruebens was involved with today and as much as I wanted to talk to him about anything star tours, I had to remain professional and keep my distance.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
                                      http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
                                      http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

• dpdilla
                                        Producer Extraordinaire
                                        • Mar 2007

i know i read this somewhere... but darned if i can't remember it.

george lucas was planning on using the same type of ride (i forget what the proper name is [motion theater?], but it's basically a theater with hydraulics) but making a new story (which was probably going to be podracing [which i'm not a fan of]).

they were developing a system in which the vehicle has 6 points of articulation, as opposed to star tours current 3. they were also developing hd-3d that doesn't require the use of glasses, which is disturbingly possible (we studied it in a film production class i was taking. few movies have been produced, and fewer actually shown, using what will eventually be used in this way (due to the projectors required). spiderman 2 was shown as such in selected theaters, but that was during this technology's infancy [which it still pretty much is in]). i'm guessing this is a by-product of what lucas is developing for releasing the trilogy in 3d.

fun, in doing research to figure where i read this, i found this link:

www.micechat.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-2921.html

apparently, other people have read whatever i read too.

the reason i'm against podracing, aside from little anakin and how bored i got during the sequence, is there are no favorites in it, aside from jabba (who's really not involved per se). though, from what i've read about the tv show, lucas is more concerned with the interstitial bits of story that don't directly involve luke, vader, etc. at present time. i can imagine a revamped star tours, keeping the same theme of being tourists whose trip gets sidelined, having a little bit where the captain accidentally gets in the middle of a podrace. that would work.

this ride would need something major. with the implementation of 6 axes and hd-3d, we could really experience the force in ways we've not so far in the series. this rides needs vader, and a jedi, ideally, yoda.

oooh, what if they did the whole echo base battle with the walkers on hoth...

(i didn't realize what a nerd i am!)

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X