This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I met two Disney actors...

I am not sure if this is in the right section; moderators please relocate it.

Sunday before last, I got to meet two actors who have Disney films to their credit...

That's Academy Award-winner Ernest Borgnine on the left (Harry Booth in Disney's The Black Hole), me in the middle, and George "Goober" Lindsey on the right (the voice of Trigger in Robin Hood, Lafayette in Aristocats, and Deadeye/Rabbit in The Rescuers.)

Lex
    Last edited by Lex the Robot; 03-16-2007, 05:41 AM.
    sigpic

Re: I met two Disney actors...

That is pretty darn cool. Thanks for posting! I get all excited meeting famous people, not that it happens all that often.
    sigpic

Comment

That's so cool! Just last night I was watching an Andy Griffith Show episode with Goober in it! Where did you meet them at?

Comment

Very cool!

Comment

thats rad!

NO DOUBT SUMMER 09 TOUR!
          MAY 22 SAN DIEGO/AUG 2 IRVINE

Comment

How cool! I will be honest....I didn't know these guys were still alive!!!

Comment

that is really neat

Friends for life

Comment

Ernie's looking pretty good for a 90 year-old guy!

George, on the other hand...is looking a bit worn for a 70 year-old.

Comment

Originally posted by Opus1guy View Post
                  Ernie's looking pretty good for a 90 year-old guy!

George, on the other hand...is looking a bit worn for a 70 year-old.

Agreed!

Comment

That's great that you got to meet them!

Ernest Borgnine is such an incredle actor-- one of those "best movies you have never seen" is Emperor of the North, with Ernest and Lee Marvin, and of course you owe it to yourself to see Marty if you have never seen it.

On the other hand, I thought Disney's Black Hole had actually fallen into one, although I always thought the ending would wind up on an attraction at the Park somehow.

Was it a Disney event that you attended?
                    Far from the frenzy of the frantic world above.

Comment

That's so awesome!
                      Good morning, son
                      In twenty years from now
                      Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
                      And I can tell you 'bout today
                      And how I picked you up and everything changed
                      It was pain
                      Sunny days and rain
                      I knew you'd feel the same things...

sigpic

Comment

Very cool indeed!

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
                        http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
                        http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

Let me be the one to say it - Goober looks like crap....

Comment

Originally posted by PSP View Post
                            Let me be the one to say it - Goober looks like crap....
                            I highly agree.

Comment

Nope, it wasn't a Disney event, I just made the connection while we were talking...

George Lindsey graduated from the same small college that I did, the University of North Alabama. He's pretty much the only famous person ever to go there. I think he went on a football scholarship and got a degree for teaching high school science.

Every year they have this film festival for student and local filmmakers, and it's named after him. The film festival is in its tenth year, and I remember the first time they held a 'Goober Festival' with him as a guest while I was a student, so that's at least fifteen years ago.

I've met Lindsey on three or four occasions prior to this. I even had a video project that I entered in the very first GLFF; it didn't fit any category that year, and so didn't win anything, but in subsequent years they expanded the categories so it would have qualified, and that kinda ticked me off so I never entered anything else.

When I spoke to Lindsey about the film festival, he said that with the current technology available to fledgling filmmakers, each year's entries make the previous year's batch look like test reels. I said that when I entered the first GLFF, my entry was on VHS; no one had even heard of DVD. Not missing a beat, he quipped, "I thought it was a disease."

They try to get a 'guest' for the GLFF every year; this is Borgnine's third time to be the guest. I met him the first time he was the guest, about five or six years ago, at a local morning television show on which I occasionally appeared. (I had him autograph my copy of the novelization of The Black Hole... the only thing I could find on short notice.)

Sunday before last, after this year's Film Festival ended, the President of the University took them out to dinner at the restaurant where I work (note my nametag in the pic). The manager was trying to find someone who could give them very professional service, so when I said I'd met them both before and would not be starstruck or pestering them for autographs, she assigned me to the party in a closed dining room.

Nonetheless, I was happy to see that one of the other seven people in the group was an old theatre acquaintance of mine who teaches at the college, used to write for the newspaper, and had his tape recorder and digital camera with him. He snapped this picture as everyone was leaving and brought me a print a few days ago.

I only briefly spoke with Borgnine about The Black Hole, in the subject of having had him autograph the novel years ago.

But I had the opportunity at the end of the meal to chat with Lindsey at length about his three Disney films. He said that Aristocats was probably the best of the three.

He said he did those three pictures with Disney, and then they never called again, he was never sure why. He shrugged and said that's how show business is. His frequent Disney costar, the late Pat Buttram, told him about being called back in to audition for Fox and the Hound, and he naturally expected to be called in as well, but never was.

As for George Lindsey looking like crap, yeah a buddy of mine said he looked like a fangless vampire about to nuzzle on my neck in that photo. I am not sure why he always goes into the patented 'Goober Grin (tm)' whenever a camera is aimed at him; it's made him look toothless for at least the 15 years since I first had my picture made with him. When he's just speaking as himself, he looks normal.

Lex
                              Last edited by Lex the Robot; 03-17-2007, 10:33 AM.
                              sigpic

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X