This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Improving the Food at Disneyland

One of the great treasures of WDW is the top rated food and fun dining experiences. Award winning chefs prepare outstanding food in a memorable setting. When you put the great food together with the whimsy of Disney, you get quite a wonderful experience. The Blue Bayou is an example of the exotic or special experience you can achieve. Dining with kids in a unique, charming atmosphere can be the highlight of the trip.

There are several WDW restaurants that give the guest an adventure in dining. Of course, there are all the international themed restaurants in Epcot, but Disney does not stop there. At DMGM there is Sci Fi Dine In that allow you to eat in miniature cars parked as a drive-in watching old Sci Fi movies. There is another where "Mom" serves you food in 1950's style kitchen. She makes you eat your vegetables! Also, there is 'Ohana that allows you to eat Hawaiian style. There are many other "experiences" in dining at WDW. This is also possible at Disneyland.

I have read that it was Pressler who did not like the restaurant establishments at Disneyland. He thought that hot dogs and cotton candy were fine for his guests. I believe that the trends are just the opposite for amusement parks. People now appreciate better quality and more entertainment with their meal. A dining adventure in the Disney way can be easily brought to Disneyland.

For example, We should have a "Western" themed restaurant. That could be like the Big Thunder Ranch that I loved when I ate a number of years ago. Apparently, Disney does not open this now except for special seasons. Now that was themed as an outdoor camp out. They could also do a "Whispering Canyon" style restaurant. At this WDW, indoor restaurant, the servers are actors that pretend to be dumb country folk. It is very entertaining and fun for both adults and kids. With all the out-of-work actors in LA, this type of themed restaurant could be even better than WDW's because you could choose better quality actors.

That is just one suggestion. What themed restaurant would you like to see at Disneyland or DCA? Would you enjoy a "themed" dining experience?
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

There are several restaurants already there that should be fixed up and reopened. Tahitain Terrace/Aladdins Oasis is an abandoned restaurant that should be made back into a dinner and show place. Big Thunder should open back up into a BBQ place an not the cold chicken place they tried recently. The Carnation should take back the Bakery so there is more room and make a return of the "Mountain" Ice Cream Creations. The Golden Horseshoe should serve more food and do a more unique show than the band that plays there.

Basically they need to add a few more sit down service places rather than just the 2 they have now. Well 3 if you count Club 33, but you can't really count that since it's not open to the general public.

Comment

And, for heaven's sake bring back Fantasia Ice Cream!
      "America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between." Oscar Wilde

Comment

Originally posted by Arnie
        There are several restaurants already there that should be fixed up and reopened. Tahitain Terrace/Aladdins Oasis is an abandoned restaurant that should be made back into a dinner and show place. Big Thunder should open back up into a BBQ place an not the cold chicken place they tried recently. The Carnation should take back the Bakery so there is more room and make a return of the "Mountain" Ice Cream Creations. The Golden Horseshoe should serve more food and do a more unique show than the band that plays there.

Basically they need to add a few more sit down service places rather than just the 2 they have now. Well 3 if you count Club 33, but you can't really count that since it's not open to the general public.

I agree that Club 33 should not count. I also agree that opening up these closed restaurants would be an improvement. I am really talking about taking dining to the next step, the new millenium. The dining is part show and also part excellent food. Now the Golden Horseshoe is on the right track, but right now the show in on stage. You have some interaction with the audience, but you basically watch a show. I am talking about a restaurant that you are part of the experience, and not just watching one. WDW already has that type of restaurant. They are popular and fun. It is not exactly a new idea, but is it new to Disneyland. I like the dinner show concept, but I think that it can be taken to a new level.
        Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

Comment

Originally posted by JiminyCricketFan
          I agree that Club 33 should not count. I also agree that opening up these closed restaurants would be an improvement. I am really talking about taking dining to the next step, the new millenium. The dining is part show and also part excellent food. Now the Golden Horseshoe is on the right track, but right now the show in on stage. You have some interaction with the audience, but you basically watch a show. I am talking about a restaurant that you are part of the experience, and not just watching one. WDW already has that type of restaurant. They are popular and fun. It is not exactly a new idea, but is it new to Disneyland. I like the dinner show concept, but I think that it can be taken to a new level.
          I sense trouble when people begin to diss Billy Hill and the Hillbillies....

They did a lot to improve Zocalo. When it's open (which isn't all that often) the food is high quality and you get way a lot of it, making the prices resonable because you can easily share. I this is a step in the right direction.

It might seem nice in the beginning to have all dinner shows, but sometimes I like to sit down to a nice dinner without being bothered and just take in the ambiance of the park. This is why ZOcalo is my favorite place to eat. Sure you have great atmosphere at BB, but the food is not cheap.

I'm not against have more interractive show experiences, but I am afraid of overkill if they did something like this. Besides, there's always character dining if you're into the interactive experience. I don't know, maybe I'm biased because the wait staff always seems to come ask me about the food right after I've taken a bite. I imagine I'd never get to eat if the show staff was wandering around.
          The King is back and he's ready to kick some tail. Do not mess with a mouse in black.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnie
            There are several restaurants already there that should be fixed up and reopened. Tahitain Terrace/Aladdins Oasis is an abandoned restaurant that should be made back into a dinner and show place.
            Amen to that. I worked the last year of the Tahitian Terrace and miss it terribly. All the CMs of that restaurant didn't even know it was being closed to make way for Aladdin's Oasis. But it had some of the best food and I miss it.

Comment

Why not put the Hoop dee do Revue at the Golden Hourseshoe for the 50th? I love that show, they interact with the crowd, they're show is on a stage. Its my favorite thing to do at WDW
              wdw-87 fort wilderness with fam.
              00 off property with future wife
              00 carribean beach with fam. for x-mas
              01 all star ask her to marry me also x-mas
              02 off property with inlaws
              03 polynesian with wife and fam. 3 days from wed.
              06 port orleans french quarters with wife for one day

Comment

they need more "dining" locationas spread throughout the park then the ones which are not really spread througout... Sit down resturaunts are good...

other things are terriffic.. and reopening a classic is brilliant idea...

esp if you get the staff into it then trying to change over the current system....

Comment

Ok, I just had a thought after watching all these reality shows about opening up a restaurant, hair salons and whatever....

I think Disney has to look into cooking better food. I mean isn't that what its all about...better food. Maybe they really should invest on a chef to create new menus that will attract many different people. I think this is the side of me that is used to going to different restaurants and being able to appreciate the quality and taste of food. I just think there's more to be offered than fried chicken, chicken strips, turkey legs, hamburgers and fries.

Sorry, I think I'm just getting hungry now ...lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs.Newseditor44
                    Ok, I just had a thought after watching all these reality shows about opening up a restaurant, hair salons and whatever....

I think Disney has to look into cooking better food. I mean isn't that what its all about...better food. Maybe they really should invest on a chef to create new menus that will attract many different people. I think this is the side of me that is used to going to different restaurants and being able to appreciate the quality and taste of food. I just think there's more to be offered than fried chicken, chicken strips, turkey legs, hamburgers and fries.

Sorry, I think I'm just getting hungry now ...lol.
                    i agree i might have to head out for some chinesse food

Comment

Originally posted by disney24/7
                      i agree i might have to head out for some chinesse food
                      They need a better Chinese food place at DCA. I get eh mad Chow Mein cravings and it depresses me that I have to leave and drive all the way to the Panda at Harbor and Orangthorpe to get it.
                      The King is back and he's ready to kick some tail. Do not mess with a mouse in black.

Comment

Originally posted by Small Panda After All
                        They need a better Chinese food place at DCA. I get eh mad Chow Mein cravings and it depresses me that I have to leave and drive all the way to the Panda at Harbor and Orangthorpe to get it.
                        See those names sound good, the only place nere me is a greese pit called J. Ging.

Comment

Originally posted by Small Panda After All
                          Yeah, they need chinese food or hawaiian bbq or something. With the amount of tourists from Asia primarily Japan and China or Taiwan you figure they would have something like that for them to choose from. Yes, I know that it would be americanized chinese food but still...

ok, now I want chinese food...think we should go to Pick up Stix...

Comment

Ahhhhhhh ~ the Tahitian Terrace! The food was well worth waiting in line for an hour or more - we couldn't WAIT to get in! The show was just a great 'extra'!

I agree about the sit down places. We love to go to the Carnation Cafe on Main Street for Breakfast ~ if Oscar (the chef that's been there since 1956) is there, he always comes out to chat with guests. The food and service is great!

The French Market used to have great fried chicken...but, they've gone the way of the fast food industry....cheap and who cares about how it tastes!

The two restaurants at the end of Main Street next to the hub used to serve good food and have great service. Another waste of DL space!

You know, after a long day at the Park, sometimes you just want to sit down and enjoy a meal that has been brought to you ~ and people watch.

It's amazing how a simple cheeseburger can end up like a burnt offering or dried out piece of leather....listen, if In 'n' Out can serve decent burgers, how come DL can't?

Anyhoo....the food isn't like it used to be ~ delicious and reasonably priced!
                            ....it all began with a Mouse...

Comment

Is MA Massachusetts? I get all the M-state abbreviations mixed up. I wouldn't expect there to be any stellar Chinese food out there. You'll definitely have to stop by one of our good places. Just don't expect much from teh Lucky Dragon Fortune Cookery in DCA. It's bad.

On topic, I think I forgot to mention how much I want the Tahitian Terrace back! Boo Oasis!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X