PHOTO UPDATE 4/10: Ed Grier's dirty photo op, Pirate's Lair, Midway, merch, +MORE!

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MasterGracey
    Dateline Disneylander
    • Jan 2005

PHOTO UPDATE 4/10: Ed Grier's dirty photo op, Pirate's Lair, Midway, merch, +MORE!

Another update... Enjoy

WELCOME TO DISNEYLAND!

MIDWAY MANIA PROGRESS
    Darkbeer has been covering Midway/Toy Story Mania progress so well that I haven't really been checking up on it. Here are a couple pictures from a different perspective than Darkbeer's...

Over at Disneyland... We rode the train around the park and then to New Orleans Square/Frontierland Station to check out...

PIRATE'S LAIR CONSTRUCTION

Other have reported it, but The Burning Cabin is safe, and it's actually getting some well-deserved TLC. It has an all-new roof, and hopefully will be on fire again soon.
    Apologies for the blur - its the best I could do while on the moving train:

Rebuilding the stairs on the Island.

Re-doing some sprinklers in the planters near Splash Mountain:

Transporting some lighting techs (?) over to the Island:

People were watching activity on the Island (some with binoculars) up from the Fantasmic! control tower:

Whats interesting is that around 10:30pm on Easter Sunday (4/8), some of the CMs in black came out and brought the Fantasmic! lighting tower closest to the Haunted Mansion up from ground. A CM was notifying on-lookers that they were just doing some testing, but we hung around for a while and didn't see any lights coming on. Perhaps they waited until after park closing to do the light testing, but why then did they raise the tower so early?

(The following three pictures were taken April 8)

ED GRIER'S DIRTY PHOTO-OP
    We ran into Ed Grier in the hub doing some dirty work - sweeping. He wasn't wearing the appropriate custodial costume, but blended in with his white dress shirt and black pants.

He's a nice guy. He asked what my favorite attraction was, and after I quickly offered the Haunted Mansion he asked if I liked Haunted Mansion Holiday. I said it wasn't my favorite, but it was okay. I prefer the original Mansion, I told him. "You're a purist, aren't you?" he asked. I admitted I was at least a little, and then he said "So what did you think about Rockin' Space Mountain?" Peoplemover1 gladly pitched in and said that it was bad and we haven't ridden it since it opened. To this, Ed didn't have a reply. He was responsive to our comments, but he didn't seem like he knew how to reply to negative criticism. He then changed subject to the Submarine Voyage. He asked if we were excited it was coming back, and naturally we said yes. He said the technology was amazing and that he's very impressed with what is being created in the Lagoon. Peoplemover1 asked if there would be any chance of AP Previews, and he said they're working on trying to plan a couple preview days. He said the Subs are a complicated attraction, and they're working on getting people trained on how to operate them properly with the new show and that hopefully they'd be able to offer a few AP preview days.

Anyway, after the chit-chat, I asked for a picture and then we headed our seperate ways. Overall, I left the encounter very impressed with him. He seemed down-to-earth enough, mentioning his family and wife in particular when I told him I had to go home to do some homework and that I was an art student after he asked if we would be sticking around for the fireworks. Apparently, his wife was an art major.

Then after all of this, it hit me. Peoplemover1 pointed out that someone was following him around with a camera, but it wasn't another fan like me - it was a Disney employee- probably a PhotoPass CM. After noticing this, we continued to follow as Ed and the photographer headed towards Fantasyland, posing along the way, sweeping up trash.

This wasn't Ed's noble attempt at garnering CM Matt-like respect from the online fan community and the frontline CMs that he was schmoozing with. This was just for some glitzy photos of him doing some dirty work. I'm willing to bet these snazzy Custodial CM Ed photos will pop up in the next Cast TV episode or CM guide.

It's a shame. It seems like Ed's frontline duties aren't because he genuinely cares about the Cast or Guest experience - but because the press shots will be absolutely stunning with him, dustpan in tow, and the Matterhorn rising majestically behind.

Dirty photo op, indeed.

NEW WEDDING & CHRISTMAS MERCH
    Some new wedding merch and Christmas merch are available at the Westward Ho! Trading Company in Frontierland. Mickey and Minnie sure look happy in their wedding duds, but with Disney allowing gay marriages now on-property where's the Donald-Goofy figurines?

And there's a Minnie Mother's Day 2007 plush now available:

DISNEYLAND AFTER DARK
    A couple of shots of Disneyland after dark (all of these were taken April 8)...

The way the Matterhorn lights up is amazing during the fireworks:

That photo was taken during the Indy portion of the show, of course. After hitting the standard color-correct option in Photoshop, this is what turns out - and I think the colors are as equally interesting, if not moreso:

The new window on Main Street:

Alright, that's it for this update. Hope you enjoyed it

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!
  • Disney Analyst
    Behind the refurb walls..
    • Apr 2005

Re: PHOTO UPDATE 4/10: Ed Grier's dirty photo op, Pirate's Lair, Midway, merch, +MORE

awesome, thats so sad to see from ed....

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

Comment

• I Heart Disneyland
      Banned User
      • Aug 2005

Re: PHOTO UPDATE 4/10: Ed Grier's dirty photo op, Pirate's Lair, Midway, merch, +MORE

I just want to go to Tom Sawyer Island and take a few things for my house. Things I know will be trashed like old cans, or the exit sign that looks handpainted. So sad!

Great photos!!!!!!!

Comment

• Grumpy4
        Again! Again! Again!
        • Jan 2005

Great pics MG! Love the night shots.
        Founding member of the B.A. I LOVE US!!
        FratSor Sister-Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ
        I bring the magic!!!
        "If all my friends were to jump off a bridge, I wouldn't jump with them, I'd be at the bottom to catch them"
        Originally posted by Reverend DMother
        Girl bonding is just so necessary. It's just as important as "me" time. A good girl bonding session leaves you feeling so refreshed. :love: I think of it as a NEED vs a want. There are just things that you need to talk to other women with. You may have the best relationship in the world with your husband, but there are just times you need your girlfriends. It makes for a healthier and happier you which makes everything else you do better.

Comment

• demento57
          n/a
          • Aug 2006

Who is to say that the cameras WEREN'T his idea. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. To actually BE in the park is an improvement as of late. Could have been even more tacky, could of been a Presidential type photo op with a picture perfect backdrop in the background covering the actual backdrop (a la Bush in front of Mount Rushmore).

But he's asking about the attractions getting the response from the guests, you can't capture THAT in a photograph. And it was nice, try to find that in other people of power.

Comment

• demento57
            n/a
            • Aug 2006

BTW the Matterhorn with the dark blue sky... A GREAT PIC!!!

Comment

• justjohn
              Mr. Faranheit
              • Jul 2006

what a complete tool this guy is.
              Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

Comment

• MasterGracey
                Dateline Disneylander
                • Jan 2005

Originally posted by demento57 View Post
                Who is to say that the cameras WEREN'T his idea. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. To actually BE in the park is an improvement as of late. Could have been even more tacky, could of been a Presidential type photo op with a picture perfect backdrop in the background covering the actual backdrop (a la Bush in front of Mount Rushmore).

But he's asking about the attractions getting the response from the guests, you can't capture THAT in a photograph. And it was nice, try to find that in other people of power.
                I agree, and I gave him credit for being a nice guy and down-to-earth. My conversation with him was very pleasant and he was very gracious.

But why the need for a photographer? So he can put his "I'm a CM like you" pictures all over Cast guides and on Cast TV and in other internal publications? Yawn. I hope the photographer wasn't his idea, and that he genuinely wants to be out there with the public and front line CMs. I hope that I'm wrong and that he genuinely does care and that this whole photographer thing is just a big misunderstanding on my part.

But I'm certainly not going to hold my breath.

Comment

• DisneyMickey
                  Banned User
                  • Jan 2005

What a shmuck trying to garner some press from pretending he cares. At least is out and sees the park with his own eyes. God I miss MATT!!!

Comment

• MasterGracey
                    Dateline Disneylander
                    • Jan 2005

Originally posted by DisneyMickey View Post
                    God I miss MATT!!!
                    Don't we all

Comment

• Crazy Legs
                      All you need is LOVE
                      • Feb 2005

Thanks for sharing love the Ed shots
                      :crazylegs

Comment

• SoCal
                        MiceChatter
                        • Jan 2005

Originally posted by MasterGracey View Post
                        and then he said "So what did you think about Rockin' Space Mountain?" Peoplemover1 gladly pitched in and said that it was bad and we haven't ridden it since it opened.

"ridden it since it opened" as in you have not rode it at all since it opened?

Comment

• niklj
                          Some imagination, huh?
                          • Apr 2007

ROFL! I love the little pink and blue hardhats!

I agree. The Matterhorn with the blue sky is awesome.

And your whole investigative journalism with the whole Ed thing was hilarious. Thanks!

Comment

• Rex Dopey24
                            Goofy
                            • Jul 2006

wow wonderful pictures thanks for sharing, Ed looks like a nice person to talk to,
                            I like the matterhorn being red its looks like a whole new world.

Comment

• hollywood1939
                              isn't an elitist
                              MiceChat Round-Up Crew
                              • Sep 2006

Interesting, there weren't any photographers around him on Friday. Nice find MG.

Then again, unless it pops up somewhere (online, any CM stuff etc.), I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. He's been in the parks lately and that's the first time one of their own were taking pictures of him (that I've seen anyways).

Seems like he was asking the same questions he asked me.

Great pics as always.
                              Last edited by hollywood1939; 04-10-2007, 11:52 PM.
                              -Jack :geek:
                              Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

Comment

• Wendygirl
                                Enjoy the now!
                                • Feb 2005

Thanks for the update and photos. I was there on the 10th too. I did not see Ed around. Must have been in the wrong place. Interesting that you caught this publicity thing, or whatever, they are doing with him.
                                sigpic

Comment

• MasterGracey
                                  Dateline Disneylander
                                  • Jan 2005

Originally posted by SoCalDude View Post
                                  "ridden it since it opened" as in you have not rode it at all since it opened?
                                  Sorry was that bad grammar? Meh. No I've been on Rockin' Space a total of three times, all around the time the overlay opened. All three times I was disgusted. Therefore, I haven't been since the time it opened.

Originally posted by hollywood1939 View Post
                                  Interesting, there weren't any photographers around him on Friday. Nice find MG.
                                  Interesting. I wonder if he was just getting practice handling that broom before the photographer came out? I kid. Perhaps his intentions started out good, and somebody in TDA pushed the publicity photo idea into his lap, and thus my observations today.

Who knows, but I think its a bit sleazy that he's out there schmoozing with frontline CMs sort of proclaiming "I'm one of you!", but all the while he has a photographer following him, snapping pictures of his goodwill. Whatever, I suspect he'll retreat to his cozy office soon enough and we won't hear from him until his term is over; cue the crickets chirping.

Comment

• SpokkerJones
                                    Banned User
                                    • Jan 2005

Yes I think I'll go spend some time in the park but only if there are some camera's to catch this legendary act.

Comment

• Orcatime
                                      DL Fanatic
                                      • Jan 2005

The Matterhorn shots were awesome. With the red I thought it was going to become Bald Mt.. Wouldn't it be cool if they added a giant Chernabog to come out of the top in Halloween-time as they play Night on Bald Mt for a Halloween-time show? (just a moment of inspiration)
                                      Best interview answer: My biggest weakness is my honesty...I can never remember my lies!

Comment

• Neverlandtink
                                        Me and Tommy Kirk
                                        • May 2005

Master Gracey, excellent pictures as usual. I liked the Monstro picture best. Very cool!

I give Ed the benefit of the doubt as well. I mean, who cares if he's doing pictures for the Disneyland line, or maybe an instructional video. I saw that all the time when I worked for the company. It wasn't like his photographer was hiding in the bushes. The fact that he took the time to say hello and snap pictures with guests is what I'm impressed with. He could've said "sorry, I'm busy" or had one of his goons shoo people off.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X