This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dad is a wood carver; need help showing him the amazing details in the park

Dad is a 69-year-old half marathon runner who's obsessions with carving and orchids rival my obsession with Disneyland. He will be going with me on my birthday and this will be his first time back in over 10 years. I know he will spend time looking at things like the tiki room and the things on Main Street and in the Gallery. But I would like your input on other ideas. Thanks.
    Sue B

Math Geek of Randomness

Re: Dad is a wood carver; need help showing him the amazing details in the park

he would love fantasyland a lot i think... the wishing well has some nice carvings on it as well... and then there is quite a bit of woodwork in Pooh's Corner

Comment

Originally posted by Abominable Snowman View Post
      he would love fantasyland a lot i think... the wishing well has some nice carvings on it as well... and then there is quite a bit of woodwork in Pooh's Corner
      Good point; and I don't think he's seen Pooh's Corner. He does love Storybookland (I plan to order a DVD), the problem is he remembers it when all of the cast members who drove those boats where like alice in wonderland.
      Sue B

Math Geek of Randomness

Comment

A lot of the stuff in the Haunted Mansion is real woodcarving:

Show that to your Dad. If you talk to the CM's and explain your father's interest, and if it's not too busy, they might be nice and let him take a closer look. Worth asking.
        "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

......... .....May April March!.....................

Comment

Originally posted by HBG2 View Post
          A lot of the stuff in the Haunted Mansion is real woodcarving:

Show that to your Dad. If you talk to the CM's and explain your father's interest, and if it's not too busy, they might be nice and let him take a closer look. Worth asking.
          Another great idea; Thanks!!
          Sue B

Math Geek of Randomness

Comment

What about the classic wooden indians of Main St and Frontierland. See if you can convince him that the bear outside of GRR is made of wood
            “Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die.” ~ Mel Brooks

Comment

You must take him through the Grand Californian - The craftsman style woodworking will amaze him.
              sigpic
              Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

Comment

Too bad you aren't going to WDW, then you could show him the tree of life!

Hmmmm, are the merry-go-round horses wood?

Comment

A lot of the details that I would have thought are carved wood are actually molded with plaster or concrete and such. I guess your dad will be able to notice that. I hope he gets to meet Gepetto!

Comment

Go on Pinocchio's Daring Journey - the clocks/toys in the end sequence are all handcarved.
                    See more of my horrible photos (and a few good ones) at my Flickr photostream

Comment

Yes, the Grand Californian is an arts and crafts style hotel, full of woodwork.

Comment

There's some great wood carvings in and around the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail.

Comment

yes, from above, i'd say anything to do with the Grand Californian/Redwood area, Tiki Room and Pinocchio
                          a friend of Walt.

Comment

Originally posted by Chapter13 View Post
                            Too bad you aren't going to WDW, then you could show him the tree of life!

Hmmmm, are the merry-go-round horses wood?
                            I believe so. He carved a carrousel (toy size) entirely out of wood, including the gears and the crank; it has 4 horses that go up and down - So he does enjoy Carrousels.

Originally posted by CoasterMatt View Post
                            Go on Pinocchio's Daring Journey - the clocks/toys in the end sequence are all handcarved.
                            Good idea - thanks

Originally posted by disney jones View Post
                            yes, from above, i'd say anything to do with the Grand Californian/Redwood area, Tiki Room and Pinocchio
                            Thanks. And thanks to all for all of the suggestions!!! Maybe we'll see you there!
                            Sue B

Math Geek of Randomness

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X