Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Space Mtn rehab - why so long?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Space Mtn rehab - why so long?

    Any reason why the Space Mtn rehab took more than 2 years? It is not a new track, and although some major work went on, I do not see how it could possibly take as long as it has.

  • #2
    The track LAYOUT is not new, but the entire track was rebuilt new from the ground up.
    I've seen the process from day one. It took along time just to dismantle the existing track. It had to be broken down into pieces small enough to fit through a relatively small opening in the side of the building. Likewise, all the new track had to go in through the same opening. Even though a lot of the track was pre-assembled at the back of the Katella cast lot (Pongo) it still had to come in relatively small pieces. Aside from the shell of the building, the entire attraction is "new", very little if any of the old guts being retained.

    The removal of the old track alone was time consuming. A crane small enough to get inside through the opening and operate inside the building was brought in and piece by piece the track was cut apart and craned out of the building. That alone took weeks.

    Comment


    • #3
      Not to mention that it closed a few months before any work was scheduled to occur.
      Joey AKA "dlfreak"
      www.mouseinfo.com

      I'm addicted to Disneyland. Disneyland hobbies are expensive.
      If I become a bum people are going to say "Don't give him money, he's just gonna use it on Disneyland."
      Disneyland. My Anti-drug.

      With all this talk of "off the shelf" and "on the back-burner" it seems the only thing that DCA is really missing is the kitchen sink!

      Create your own Virtual pet today!

      Comment


      • #4
        I was always curious about this but, what happened to merit a relaunch of Space Mountain? Were guest numbers dwindling, was there structural damage? It just seems like a costly and lengthy way to improve an already popular attraction. Granted, I don't live very close to DL, so I am guessing as to the popularity of the ride, but it's a Disney mountain. I guess I just have a tough time seeing the logic in this, new track but same layout, new "guts" but overall the same experience. It just seems like overkill, can someone please enlighten me as to why this happened?
        In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate.

        DoppelV

        Comment


        • #5
          Oh, I see. I personally am not excited about Space Mountain returning (I personally don't like thrill rides, although I enjoyed Rocket Rods), but I am glad the people who like it finally get to ride it.

          I believe it did have some structural damage, Nixystyx.

          Comment


          • #6
            Yes, if I remember correctly there were a number of problems with the 30+ year old track and welding jobs and patchup work wasn't cutting it anymore. I think a few weeks prior to it closing a train had derailed and after opening it again they closed it back down in April. Work wasn't scheduled to begin, I believe in August and it sat, from what I remember reading, untouched during that time period. Again, this is all what I think I remember reading
            Joey AKA "dlfreak"
            www.mouseinfo.com

            I'm addicted to Disneyland. Disneyland hobbies are expensive.
            If I become a bum people are going to say "Don't give him money, he's just gonna use it on Disneyland."
            Disneyland. My Anti-drug.

            With all this talk of "off the shelf" and "on the back-burner" it seems the only thing that DCA is really missing is the kitchen sink!

            Create your own Virtual pet today!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by dlfreak
              Yes, if I remember correctly there were a number of problems with the 30+ year old track and welding jobs and patchup work wasn't cutting it anymore. I think a few weeks prior to it closing a train had derailed and after opening it again they closed it back down in April. Work wasn't scheduled to begin, I believe in August and it sat, from what I remember reading, untouched during that time period. Again, this is all what I think I remember reading
              yep that's exactly what I heard to

              the track hadn't faired well and the maintenance on it wasn't that great either so it needed a complete do-over

              I also remeber hearing the newer track type was a bit thicker do to more modern safty concerns and it required digging Space Mountain even further into the ground
              "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

              Comment


              • #8
                not to mention it is disneylands 50th anniversary and they got us all excited about a new space mountain.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I was phyisically the last guest on space mountain before they closed it down the next morning for two years. That track was extreemly shakey and loud. It felt like the train was going to fall off the track simular to the feeling I get on Ghost Rider at Knotts or a traveling carnival coaster.

                  A friend of mine is a mechanic tha works at DL. He said most of the track had become spotwelds over the years. Spotwelds are just not as strong as the actual steel. Things were really loose when they closed it.

                  All this because Pressler was too cheap to maintain the ride properly.
                  When you wish upon a star, your dreams come true, but because of distance, not for millions of years.

                  This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"

                  Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by 10-8atDisneyland
                    The track LAYOUT is not new, but the entire track was rebuilt new from the ground up.
                    I've seen the process from day one. It took along time just to dismantle the existing track. It had to be broken down into pieces small enough to fit through a relatively small opening in the side of the building. Likewise, all the new track had to go in through the same opening. Even though a lot of the track was pre-assembled at the back of the Katella cast lot (Pongo) it still had to come in relatively small pieces. Aside from the shell of the building, the entire attraction is "new", very little if any of the old guts being retained.

                    The removal of the old track alone was time consuming. A crane small enough to get inside through the opening and operate inside the building was brought in and piece by piece the track was cut apart and craned out of the building. That alone took weeks.
                    Well that makes sense... I heard they were going to do a whole new track layout though (stupid rumor mills) and then when I heard it was same I wondered why it wouldve taken all that time as well. But now we know

                    Originally posted by MotorBoatCruise2005
                    (I personally don't like thrill rides, although I enjoyed Rocket Rods)
                    Rocket Rods was a thrill ride?
                    Disneyland is the right of all sentient beings.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Rocket Rods was 35mph, which would make it fast and relatively thrilling, IMO.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I think we can thank Matt for getting it up and running for the 50th.
                        Jiminy Cricket Fan
                        .................................

                        Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I've heard that a new track layout was considered but Cythia wouldn't ok it or something like that

                          I'm pretty sure a new track was way out of the question by the time Matt came in
                          "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by phruby
                            I was phyisically the last guest on space mountain before they closed it down the next morning for two years. That track was extreemly shakey and loud. It felt like the train was going to fall off the track simular to the feeling I get on Ghost Rider at Knotts or a traveling carnival coaster.

                            A friend of mine is a mechanic tha works at DL. He said most of the track had become spotwelds over the years. Spotwelds are just not as strong as the actual steel. Things were really loose when they closed it.

                            All this because Pressler was too cheap to maintain the ride properly.
                            Buhaha I beat you... me and a few friends of mine that were working frontierland were off of at about 12pm we were walking by the back of the ride after the last group of guests had left. One of my rides buds asked us if we wanted one last go on the ride before it was down for 2 years. =) So I was the last person in it hahahahaha
                            Evil is lurking behind the matterhorn........ wait, that's just Mickey :ap:

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Jspider
                              I've heard that a new track layout was considered but Cythia wouldn't ok it or something like that

                              I'm pretty sure a new track was way out of the question by the time Matt came in
                              Very much so...I am sure the new track was already ordered and in production by Vekoma by the time Matt became President.
                              -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
                              I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X