This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Space Mountain turns 30!

That's right! Today is Space Mountain's 30th Anniversary!
    "If we cut the budget are you going to be the one standing at the exit explaining to guests why the ride they just rode is a piece of crap?" - - John Lasseter

Re: Space Mountain turns 30!

Yay!!!

Comment

I no longer trust it.
      Fight On!:sc: Beat the Red Wolves!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

[None]
      The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough - Randy Pausch

Comment

actually the opening date was may 27th 1977. But this date might have been the first soft opening for it.

Comment

Isn't it like less than 2 years old now??? Or would we just call it cosmetic surgery.

Comment

Wow!!! Happy b-day SM!

Comment

happy ann'y space mountain
              Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

Comment

Happy Birfday! Space Mountain!

Comment

Originally posted by Wally View Post
                  That's right! Today is Space Mountain's 30th Anniversary!
                  YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Now I really feel old....went on Space Mountain in Florida before we got ours!
                    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
                    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

Comment

The building is 30 years old. The track is two or so. Sorry but the actual coaster doesn't get the distinction of a 30th aniversary just yet. According to the roller coaster database it is a NEW coaster. I agree with that assessment 100 percent.

http://rcdb.com/qs.htm?quicksearch=space+mountain

Comment

Feel much better now....Thanks Spokker!
                        Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
                        it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

Comment

Is the park doing anything for the "30th"?

Comment

Originally posted by dcaguy View Post
                            actually the opening date was may 27th 1977. But this date might have been the first soft opening for it.
                            May 27th was the official dedication date and Press Event when they had all the original Mercury 7 astronauts (well, 6 of them, plus the widow of the 7th...Gus Grissom...Betty Grissom) present to "cut the ribbon."

But the attraction actually was up and running to members of the public starting on May 4th. It turned out to be sort of a soft opening (although it was not intended as such) as they did have several days along the way to the dedication where it was unexpectedly down for fine tuning. There were several private nighttime Cast parties (including a free dinner!) for all the Cast over several nights as well. There was also an extremely nice evening for Park Participants and their execs where Disney was trying to woo a sponsor (they didn't get anyone to bite until years later).

But except for the few unexpected days it was down for fine tuning...it was pretty much open to the public on a daily basis starting May 4, 1977.

May 27th is its more-or-less official opening date though, as that was the date of the official dedication of the attraction. I've seen both dates used by Disney as its opening date. Think I even have some early newspaper ads that state it would be opening on May 22nd.

As I recall...it was an overall chaotic and flaky opening period...as Disneyland Marketing had already published dates it would be open by...and so Card Walker was really putting the gun to everyone's head to make the deadline even though initially WED asked for more time. Lots of "all hands on deck" overtime on that one!

Kinda sounds similar to what's going on right now with Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage.

Anyway...I guess May 4th is good enough, so...Happy Birthday you old mountain, you!

Originally posted by wolfy999
                            Now I really feel old....went on Space Mountain in Florida before we got ours!
                            Ditto. But perhaps we feel really old because...we are!!!

Comment

Happy Birthday Space Mountain building!

I wish I could be there to ride SM today because I'd love to celebrate my favorite ride everyday if possible. Doesn't matter when its official birthday is...I just love that ride!
                              http://www.facebook.com/silverpsycho
                              Always looking for new Disney friends.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X