Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone ever stayed at the Grand Californian?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stargirl
    replied
    I am excited...My sweetie and I are spending our wedding night at the Grand Californian, actually, two nights, before we leave on our honeymoon. I am so excited! We did get a park view room! :love:

Leave a comment:

• Thumper
    replied
    I have a 15 year old and he liked the GC, but he likes the DL hotel better. We did not like Paradise Pier at all when we stayed there 3 years ago. I liked the GC best, although it is quite expensive. The only reason we stayed there was becuase my employer paid for the first four nights and we only had to pay for three nights. I didn't think the room was small, it was no smaller than the one we had at Paradise Pier. The pool was great at the GC and the close proximity to everything was the best part!

Leave a comment:

• Ortizmo2000
    replied
    I live far too close to it to justify staying a night there (especially at those prices), but I think it's a fantasic, majestic place. I come in to appreciate the many floors of its architecture as much as I can.

Leave a comment:

• DISNEYJUNKIE
    replied
    Darn I guess my kids were just too old when the GC was built to pull of that one, now they are old enough to know better and love the place and when they hear we are going to stay there they all show up with their luggage even though they live like 40 minutes away!!

Leave a comment:

• Cousin Orville
    replied
    In a word great. location location location, drinks drinks drinks..The concierge level is really nice. If convenience is what you want, then it rocks. Napa Rose is a surprisingly good restaurant too. We love it and try and stay there when we're down there. It is expensive. With a family of 4 you can sink 800 bucks before you know it.
    We make the kids sleep out in the car and they still think downtown disney is disneyland..their fave ride is the trammerhorn. shhhhhhhhhhh :-)

No negatives that I can think of.

Leave a comment:

• wolfy
    replied
    Great pic!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• DISNEYJUNKIE
    replied
    12 and 7 years olds may find it a little stuffy and most likely won't appreciate the art and craft atmosphere, or the big cozy fireplace in the lobby and the luxurious comfy furniture to sit in. I have friends with children about the same age and I didnt recomend it DHL more there thing.

Leave a comment:

• SCUBAbe
    replied
    speaking of the monorial and courtyard views. Here was the view from our room..

Leave a comment:

• wolfy
    replied
    I stayed there over Thanksgiving weekend in 2003, had one of the cheaper rooms, smoker here, but my daughter loved it. Monorail went under our room so she kept track of the colors running over the 3 days there. Great service, great atmosphere, great pool area....well worth staying there. We stayed at DLH last Thanksgiving and Marina (my daughter) enjoyed that more, but it is more kid friendly. We are going to try Paradise Pier next year, Marina wants to try out every Disneyland Hotel property....we always leave Hubby at home....Mother/Daughter weekend away, so he can watch football in peace and put up the Christmas lights!

Leave a comment:

• sleepyjeff
    replied
    Very nice Hotel, but the rooms are a tad small(especially for what one might pay to stay there). We loved the pools and the ability to ride Grizzly River until we were soaked to the bone then just go right up to our room and change

We had a Monorail view in a Courtyard room with a partial view of DownTown Disney. Pretty nice, although next time we go we might try to get a Theme Park view.

Don't forget to wake up the townies from their slumber on lobby sofas

Leave a comment:

• SCUBAbe
    replied
    yes, I LOVED it. It was a very relaxing and enjoyable stay. One of the best I have ever had at DL..

Leave a comment:

• LuvSnowWhite
    replied
    What about a 12 and 7 year old? Too stuffy? We stayed at The Beach Club at WDW in November and they enjoyed it.

Leave a comment:

• DISNEYJUNKIE
    replied
    My husband and I have stayed numerous times, especially during the holiday season the warm fireplace and the lobby are the perfect holiday setting. Our daughters love it but they are adults, not children and can appreciate the ambiviance of the setting. I do have friends with small children whom I did not recomend this property too, as I child I would have wanted to be and the Disneyland Hotel with more character theming myself.

Leave a comment:

• Whatever
    replied
    Originally posted by Thumper
    I'm attending a convention too, and we are getting a special rate. My employer is paying for the first four nights and I'm staying an extra three days at my own expense. They extended the special rate for the extra days, which is great, but even at the special rate, it still seems expensive! I've always wanted to stay there. Just hope I'm not disappointed.

Thumper
    That is the way to go for sure, if you can. My company is sending me to the Contemporary in WDW, and we get the same deal. $129 during the conference and for 3 days after. After that its like $280 or $290. Anybody ever stay there? comments? I'm assuming that the rooms will be nothing special...

Leave a comment:

• Thumper
    replied
    I'm attending a convention too, and we are getting a special rate. My employer is paying for the first four nights and I'm staying an extra three days at my own expense. They extended the special rate for the extra days, which is great, but even at the special rate, it still seems expensive! I've always wanted to stay there. Just hope I'm not disappointed.

Thumper

Leave a comment:

• mickeyandme67
    replied
    Just to weigh in and I do agree with most on this... Yes on proximity, yes on lobby theming, yes on restaurants. ...But like all Disney hotels, no matter how expensive... (I've stayed at every resort in WDW as well) The rooms are like nice Holiday Inn rooms. Nothing more. They might have an appropriate wallpaper and bedspread... nice carpet and yeah, you get a Mickey soap. But other than the constant barrage of promos pouring from the Disneyland channel on your TV, you could be in the Holiday Inn Express in Barstow. The public areas are supurb and remind me of my favorite hotel, The Wilderness Lodge in WDW, but... the rooms are really nothing special.

Leave a comment:

• dsnycrw
    replied
    My hubby and I LOVE this hotel...we have always booked a room on the conceirge floor as we enjoy the breakfast and wine/cheese in the afternoon. Between those two we usually just eat a big lunch or late dinner and save money in the park. Ditto to the comment about kids...we book the DL Hotel with the kiddos. Paradise Pier was originally the "tour bus" hotel frequented by International tour groups so it is bare bones and just not up to the Disney parr for my taste...but the price is right sometimes. After visiting the lobby I decided to stay off property before staying there...just not my thing.

Leave a comment:

• WindPhyreDude
    replied
    I stayed at the GC once, and while I loved the hotel, my room sucked as it was at the end of the wing that's above the World of Disney store. It was quite a trek from the nearest elevator to my room, with several turns and long walks down entire hallways. My room looked out over the Soarin building so I could see the Disneyland entrance to my left and Grizzly peak to my right. Otherwise the room was nice, and the amenities are awesome.

-Stephen

Leave a comment:

• The Mad Hatter
    replied
    I stayed there during christmas time in 2003 and had a downtown disney view. it was really top notch imo. i love the look and feel and the location. you will really enjoy your stay.

Leave a comment:

• jdramj
    replied
    The school that my children attend is going to hold it's annual silent auction and dinner there on May 7th ( 2 days after the start of the anniversay celebration) and we are being offered a discount to stay there in conjunction with that. I'm going to have to take them up on this offer!

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X