Announcement

Collapse

MiceChat Rules

A list of MiceChat's rules can be found at the top of the Disneyland forum.
See more
See less

A Different Take on the PeopleMover Issue

Collapse

Header Ad

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BassBone
    started a topic A Different Take on the PeopleMover Issue

A Different Take on the PeopleMover Issue

Given that Disney officials ocassionally read rumor/fan sites and know the level of rabid Disneyphiles out in the world is fairly high, does anyone think that they'll be really closed-lipped about any possible reuse of the ex-PeopleMover/Rocket Rods track? I believe if they're going to do something with it, they'll try to avoid the fan controversy and the first we'll hear of it is when the construction walls go up. Anybody agree/disagree? Discuss.

• BassBone
    replied
    Re: A Different Take on the PeopleMover Issue

Originally posted by RenMan View Post
    Different levels, eh? Interesting. We've got subs which are underwater and autopia cars on the ground. It would be fun if the next-generation peoplemover were not only above-ground in terms of the track, but also above-ground because they levitate: some sort of amped-up mag-lev vehicle.
    Now I just got an evil idea....

For the Mark VIII or IX Monorail? Maglev. Oh that would be awesome.

Leave a comment:

• RenMan
    replied

Originally posted by Radiobarry View Post
    Tomorrowland used to be the best part of the park. The return of the subs is nice to see, but I also agree that the different levels of things in motion gave the land so much of its charm.
    Different levels, eh? Interesting. We've got subs which are underwater and autopia cars on the ground. It would be fun if the next-generation peoplemover were not only above-ground in terms of the track, but also above-ground because they levitate: some sort of amped-up mag-lev vehicle.

Leave a comment:

• Radiobarry
    replied

Yes, the Peoplemover was removed "for a reason"...a lot of things were done at DL for "bad" reasons in the 90's.

Tomorrowland used to be the best part of the park. The return of the subs is nice to see, but I also agree that the different levels of things in motion gave the land so much of its charm.

The PeopleMover needs to be brought back in some form. No matter how the company announces or doesn't announce it.

--Barry

Leave a comment:

• RenMan
    replied

Originally posted by PeoplemoverMatt View Post
    Well, to gauge interest for a Peoplemover-type attraction, all one really needs to do is look at the consistent attendance numbers TTA @ Magic Kingdom receives daily, and the positive affect it has on people's day.
    So, for those of us who don't know, what is that statistic? Is TTA a popular ride? I have no idea.

Leave a comment:

• BigThunder
    replied

Its been almost two weeks since there was a new PeopleMover thread. 'Bout damn time.

I'll know its coming back when Al tells me so.

Leave a comment:

• JiminyCricketFan
    replied

I think there is a very good chance for the Peoplemover returning in some form.

Look at the current trend for Disney with new attractions. Disney is mostly REUSING ride systems or buildings to make new attractions:

Stitch's Great Escape reused the building of Alien Encounter.
    Monster's Laugh Floor reused the building of Timekeeper (and the technology of Crush!)
    Monsters Inc reused the ride system from Superstar limo.
    Nemo Submarines reuse the ride system from the original ride.

The only attraction on the drawing board that is not reusing a building or ride system is Toy Story Midway Mania.

I think that the temptation to get a new ride without having to build all that track again is too tempting for Disney execs. But Disney is not spending money on new attractions unless it has SOME hook to a movie franchise. Meet the Robinsons did do well enough to warrant a ride, but the Incredibles might. We will see.

Leave a comment:

• The International
    replied

You have to realize that any "backlash" from the many Disney internet communities is still a very, very small thing. The number of people who would complain on the 'net about new Peoplemover plans wouldn't even be able to fill up a Fantasmic performance. In other words, Disney has millions of people coming from all over the world to think about when they make decisions regarding their parks... we're not even close to a majority.

On the other hand, they would be silly not to listen to the hardcore fan's opinion. They already do events for hardcore fans, and though we're much crazier than the family who goes once a year for a day or two, I'm sure Disney does take the message board opinion in to account. It's a small part, but I'm sure they read.

Leave a comment:

• JK020489
    replied

I think Disney has ended up releasing info about things they are doing b/c of the fan sites. i think i lean toward that once its green lighted they will release it right then. with how big of a topic it is it could help draw more ppl into the park more often to see what they are doing to the track and what not.

Leave a comment:

• PeoplemoverMatt
    replied

Well, to gauge interest for a Peoplemover-type attraction, all one really needs to do is look at the consistent attendance numbers TTA @ Magic Kingdom receives daily, and the positive affect it has on people's day. That is a measureable statistic, how much an attraction benefits a person's day, but I forgot what it was called...

Oh, and I might be just a tad happy if the Peoplemover was brought back.

-- PMM

Leave a comment:

• BassBone
    replied

Originally posted by flynnibus View Post
    I guess I'm wondering.. your theory as opposed to what? They rarely announce any attraction change until the work is almost starting (and the walls come up as you put it).

NEW construction projects often get announced, but even new ones like Toy Story didn't get announced before construction started.

These attractions get LEAKED before, but most don't get official confirmation until construction is under way.
    As opposed to being leaked and available for speculation the way some attractions have in the past. Not only keeping it quiet until the walls go up, but keeping quiet as to what the nature of the new project is until close to launch day or until it's impossible to hide what the changes are.

I just had another thought (I know, don't hurt myself). If Disney decides to do something on that track, will they go for the next great E-ticket? Or will they decide to play it low and go for an A- or B-ticket. There are problems inherent in both approaches. They tried an E-ticket on the People Mover track: it failed miserably. Ran for two seasons. What if, however, they build a decent A- or B-ticket on the track? What if people still expect an E-ticket and come off less than impressed. Look at Poo(h) and Monsters, Inc. and the reaction to them. Granted, they were both somewhat poorly executed A-ticket dark rides, but consider this: Is the public only interested in E-tickets now? That's what's brought in the crowds in the recent past. Will an outstanding A-ticket be as big a draw as a mediocre E-ticket? Thoughts? Am I talking out of my rear end?
    Last edited by BassBone; 05-19-2007, 02:24 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Wendy_Bird
    replied

i think that the solution to the people mover may be to make it something where you have the ability to change it... so maybe instead of solid things that arnt easily changable you do more projections and things like that... maybe you do a history of disney... or a look to the future with a look at the pass... and you get the added benifit of one of the best views in the park...

when i wanted to be an imagineer... i designed a whole car that would travel on the track as nothing nore that a sightseeing car... a lot like the monorail or the railroad... i think that is the way to go... something that can be upgraded as the future changes... like walt said... disney would be a place of constant change... and i think that Tomarrowland is one of thoes places that the Imagineers need to think about that most in... just my thoughts...

Leave a comment:

• whitestrat
    replied

Let's face it, as Swab pointed out, it's a very porous organization sometimes. I think info. would get leaked at some point, regardless of the attraction's popularity among rabid and or nostalgic Disney freaks like alot of us.
    They have to know that a new version of the PM has great potential in the resurrection of TL, not to mention that the Peoplemover track itself is the "giant white elephant" in the living room of TL.
    You can hardly pass through there without going next to it, around it or under it.
    When I was at the park last week, and walking through TL, it occurred to me that for alot of folks, that structure is nothing more than a glorified awning to sit under and get a break from the sun.
    They probably have no idea that that structure used to house one of Tommorrowland's most iconic symbols.
    I'm really hope they see clear to bring back an updated form of the attraction. It would be easy enough to make the ride appealing to a new audience yet still be classic and perhaps timeless.
    It is possible to build hype and interest for an attraction that alot of people don't remember or never experienced, kind of like the Subs.
    The fact is, if they tap into what the Imagineers used to do best, it will succeed.

Now, BRING IT BACK!!!!

Leave a comment:

• aashee
    replied

Yes Rum, I agree. Something about seeing an abandoned ride that you used to enjoy is dissapointing. People mover is one for me. The Fort I'm mixed on because it wasn't that fun to me, other liked it quite a bit I'm sure. The fort alone though looked really good in its element no matter if you liked the inside or not.

I think my feelings are different about the skyway because its "carcass" is not easily seen. If they left the tomorrowland entracne to the Skyway just sitting there, I'd be reminded of how fun it was all the time. But the tree covered fantasyland station isn't easy to spot. In fact I doubt most people that go there occasionally even see it. I do love pointing it out to my children, explianing what the Skyway was.

On that note, it would cost a lot to demolish the people mover track. It would cost even more to develop a new or upgraded attraction there. Doing absoluly nothing is the least expensive road and sadly, that's the path Disney has taken for the last decade plus. I don't mind visiting a loved one's tombstone, I just don't like it in a room in my house. We'll call that room tomorrowland.

Chad

Leave a comment:

• RumRunner31
    replied

Originally posted by aashee View Post
    I really agree that Tomorrowland misses the Skyway and PeopleMover. I have succumbed to the fact that the SkyWay will never return and I'm fine with that.

But the Peoplemover? You have the track right there.
    Not to completely change subjects, but this comment made me think of the other thread on Fort Wilderness being torn down. The effect of leaving a closed attraction still standing is that people can't move on, like they have with the Skyway, etc.

I'll be very glad to see when they do SOMETHING with the track, and I DON'T think they'll keep it any more tight lipped because it's so popular. Actually, I think the opposite will happen. I was quite late learning about Toy Story, but MAN did word travel fast when everyone's favorite, TSI, was going to undergo changes. I think the more beloved the old attraction (and the peoplemover, IMHO, is this community's golden goose in that category), the faster word will leak about plans for it.

Leave a comment:

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X