X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • disneyguy115
    • Jul 2006

Nemo Was Awesome!!!!!!!!!

OMG. IT WAS AWESOME!!!!! i would TOTALLY WAIT IN LINE for like 6 hours for it^^. it was AWESOME! we werent aloud to take pics or vids......but i got them with my phone ^^....so HERE YOU GO!!!

This was dory at the end....it was blury.... everything was basicly done with projectors on a thin screen...theres one AWESOME part that happens inside the subs, that scared the crap out of me ^^ ... and another part that was freaky yet KOOL! but mainly this ride was AWESOME! there were some audio glitches, but i heared them talking about getting it fixed the next day....

Comment

• disneyguy115
      • Jul 2006

Re: Nemo Was Awesome!!!!!!!!!

OH and the audio in there was AWESOME! They have kool LED lighting in there and effect neon lighting.

Comment

• Nautilus
        Collision speed....FULL!
        • Jun 2006

Re: Official "Finding Nemo: Submarine Voyage" Pictures, Information, and Reviews

Subs was incredible. The best part was going down the ladder IMO. It was cool to ride in the same sub as Tony Baxter. He was about five people away from me!

Comment

• PEZZ Lightyear
          PEZZ in the Fez
          • Aug 2006

Re: Official "Finding Nemo: Submarine Voyage" Pictures, Information, and Reviews

WARNING: I am not going to bother with "Spoiler" tags or wraps because if you don't want to find out anything about the ride, you should not have clicked on this thread anyway.

I was able to ride the Subs two times last night thanks to very generous and industrious CM's who have my heartfelt thanks forever. It was a terrific experience and it was so exciting to climb back down into one of my favorite rides when I was a kid!

Not too crowded last night:

They had 7 subs running instead of the 5 running the previous day.

Our ride arrives:

Definitely watch your step:

The stairs are treacherous and I was taking pictures while going down the first time. I missed a step and would have fallen if I had not been hanging on to the railing!

Honey, I'm home:

I remember these seats being gray (and much larger). While the color scheme may be lost in my memory, the years have definitely not been kind to my waistline. Be prepared to sit down in some pretty close quarters with people who have hopefully been profuse in the hygiene and sparing with their fragrance.

Since the basics of the ride have already been discussed, I am going to focus on the difference in the experiences I had on the two trips. The fist was in the front (fore) of the Sub on the right side (anyone nautical can fill in port or starboard for me). The second time, I was in the rear (aft) on the left side.

While I would love to be able to compare DAY vs. NIGHT trips, I only rode at night and, like Maseca, can't wait to see the lagoon during the day with all the colors showing. The lagoon lighting is still terrific but I think the glass paint will really sparkle in daylight.

Left vs. Right:
          The right side faces the open lagoon. When you clear the "diving" bubbles, the expanse, especially at night probably, is impressive! You feel like you are out in open water. Or as close as you can while in a lagoon the size of few swimming pools. The left side seems much closer and all the lagoon sights (Darla, big fish, the scuba diver) are right there next to you. Once you go through the waterfall into the first show building, this effect is diminished substantially since everything happens an equal distance from the sides of the Subs.

Front vs. Back:
          This is where a real difference can be seen. The sound (which is excellent) does not travel from front to back. At least not that I could notice. It plays at the same time for everyone on board. If there are differences in volume as you move through the scenes, I did not notice any.

The way the ride is set up is that you move quite seamlessly through several scenes with bits of dialogue for each. The front of the Sub sees the first part of the conversation as they talk and the back part gets to see what happens during the later part. There is (almost) always something to look at, even if the characters you see are not participating in the conversation at hand. This affords greater "reridability" because there were definitely two different things to view during the same dialogue both times I went and will probably be different the next time(s) I go.

Here is where I turn into an old fuddy-duddy poo-head:
          I do have one MINOR qualm with the new ride. It's not in the technical expertise shown in the reconstruction of this attraction. It is WAY superior to anything I have seen in a LONG time. It's this: I was slightly put off by the whole digital projection media. I know. Call me a "purist" or just Old Skool if you like. I just love my 3D animatronics and character pieces.

The scenery is terrific- all or mostly made up with real-live plaster and paint and who-knows-what-else. The jellyfish are all "real" and 3D and everything. But the digital projections (while very well integrated into the sets and showing up nicely) reminded me just a little of the Autopia queue scenes with the talking cars or the little scenes in the Mission Tortilla Factory of the little people - ONLY MUCH MUCH BETTER! Please don't get me wrong and think that I am being nit-picky. Even though I am...

My favorite (projection) scene has to be the volcano where there are several Nemo characters going in and out of projected lava flowing (very much like the swirling honey whirlpool on the Pooh ride) and bubbles coming out everywhere. But I am still a sucker for the pieces like Darla, the anglerfish, Squirt and Nemo toward the start of the ride, and the crabs at the end (especially the not-quite finished Robo-Crab on the right side).

That being said, there is no way they could have made animatronics or puppets to do all the things that the projected characters do. It is a very engaging and thrilling experience in every way.

I can't wait to go on again and will probably be there for Rope Drop one these days soon. Until then, I will remain Sub-Merized! just like I was before.

Goodbye (for now)

And forget what I said about your digital projections... I still love ya!
          Call me!
          How much do we have to pay to get MiceChat Old?
          :monkey: :monkey:

Comment

• aandjw
            • Sep 2005

OK - Saturday, 1:30pm-ish, the wife and I are watching the boats straight out from the seagulls. After about 20 minutes, a CM named "Kim" comes up to my wife and whispers, "Do you want to go on Nemo?" YES! "Are you cast members?" NO!. She discreetly writes us up a 2 little white tags and sends us aboard the ride!

It was so cool! I would say that the ride itself is much longer than I expected, so I was pleasantly surprised. It will be a 2-3 hour wait this summer, though.....

I get to go again on Wednesday early AM for a Travel Industry preview. The Mrs. can't come (cheap Disney), so this was such a treat for her. Another amazing Disney memory made by a thoughtful CM.

JW

Comment

• ex-wdi
              • Jul 2005

Well, I'm going to give a slightly contrarian review here. I didn't like it as much as I had hoped. I had goosebumps going back down into the attraction again, but there are long spans of nothing happening, especially at the beginning - over a full minute of bubbles during the dive! I found the set pieces too fast and difficult to understand, and there was lots of noise with no coherent flow to it. However, some set pieces weren't working properly on my ride (including the lava flow scenes) among others, so I'm open minded enough to wait for a second trip. Plus I sat all the way in the back and the show timings just aren't right back there. All in all, it's a good start and it may be better on a future ride. So far, I'm unimpressed despite the awesome technology.

Comment

• hollywood1939
                isn't an elitist
                MiceChat Round-Up Crew
                • Sep 2006

I liked it. Good effects. Thanks to a great CM, I was lucky and got to sneak peek.

Ok here is a short video. All I can say is CLICK ONLY IF YOU WANT TO SEE IT.

-Jack :geek:
                Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

Comment

• Sam
                  Up is Down
                  • May 2005

I went on it twice saturday! I do not want to give any spoilers since many have been given but it gets my thumbs up! It is a very cool ride I loved it!
                  The earth is round.... or so i've found.

Comment

• Rocker
                    I Don't Care
                    • Sep 2006

Well, I haven't gone on it yet, but since this is an official thread, I decided to post some pictures from the submarines I took over a month ago.

AUTOPIA: Fan Since 1991

Comment

• NeverNeverland
                      Where should we go next?

• Apr 2005

Just a few little observations from me...

I was way more excited about the ride than I thought I'd be... there was actual squeeing after we were on it )

I was a bit disappointed as we went past the first wall, but then my mouth just hung open ) It did seem a bit disjointed .like "Here's some educational stuff" then "here's a fun little story." the educational stuff took second place to all that during the Nemo bits, IMO.

Parts of the Nemo are the exact same as the new Nemo ride at WDW - when the first scene started, I was like, "Wow, this like a 1000% better version of that ride!"

The bubbles were distracting but I understand that they're essential to make it feel like we're really diving underwater. I'm assuming one of those is when you go in the cave? They did a great job with that transition.

At the first sign of Nemo, the subs chatter totally increased with little kids shouting "nemo!" and all that. Just a forewarning

I like how some of the coral and stuff are RIGHT THERE... Like you're going to brush up against it. And there was just so much stuff to see!

We were in the front, so we missed a bit of the action, but I think they did what they could w/the subs being so long and all.

Of course, my favorite part was the anamatronic turtles. I totally gasped when I saw them,! They were the best surprise of the ride for me! :yea:

The volcano part wasn't working for us, though it was amusing to hear Nemo and his father go through this whole tribulation and all we saw was black!

Overall, I liked this a lot! Yay!!
                      Good morning, son
                      In twenty years from now
                      Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
                      And I can tell you 'bout today
                      And how I picked you up and everything changed
                      It was pain
                      Sunny days and rain
                      I knew you'd feel the same things...

sigpic

Comment

• hollywood1939
                        isn't an elitist
                        MiceChat Round-Up Crew
                        • Sep 2006

Another vid. Low quality (it's Youtube) and its mostly bubbles with a lot of audio but something in the end. Hopefully you can see it.

I'm still waiting for another video to come through.
                        -Jack :geek:
                        Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

Comment

• sneakerspray
                          Done and Gone
                          • Apr 2005

Well fortune was on our side tonight. We arrived and ate dinner. We looked at the lagoon for a while and then made our way to the entrance where a cast member made our day! (and many others too I might add)

Some random thoughts in no particular order:

The ride was great! I cannot be picky about it because it was so surreal that I was aboard a sub again. In answer to some things I've read here and elsewhere, I thought the blend between projections and "physical effects" was well done. There was some very nearly seamless integration between projections and "set pieces" which were very cool.

The seats are smallish and reminded me of the seats in my wifes first grade classroom. (I'm not saying thats the EXACT size, but they reminded me of them.) Though I realize tonight was a cast member preview and all, our sub was sent with several empty seats so I think spacing MIGHT take care of itself with CM discretion. (Yes, capacity will probably suffer but this isn't an omnimover after all.)

The stairs going down aren't "Scary" but they seem to be out of the norm in the current world of lawyerland. Hard to put into words.

In all, I'm happy to have the subs back. It was such a thrill my jaw hurt from smiling the whole ride. I haven't walked away from Disneyland this happy with a ride since my first ride aboard Indy on grad night in 95.

If I think of anything else I'll add it later, for now its time to say goodbye...

Comment

• SpokkerJones
                            Banned User
                            • Jan 2005

I got to ride tonight and here's what I thought. Sat in the first sub on the left side. No spoilers here.

-Overheard a person who has already ridden three times. Come on. Who keeps letting this jerk on?

-You will hear HOLD ON TO THE HANDRAILS a million times.

-Like sneakerspray experienced, our sub was sent with a few empty seats.

-Very cool soundtrack.

-Wonderfully presented gags and scenes from the movie.

-Some of the digital stuff wasn't working properly I think. There were long stretches with only dialogue and sound but no characters.

-Yes it's cramped in those subs but managable.

-Dream Squad guy told me the line was too long to give me a pass to ride, but then asked me how many were in my party. I said I was by myself so he gave me a ticket.

-Yes there are homages to the original attraction.

-Okay, this ride is good, but please, NO MORE PIXAR RIDES IN DISNEYLAND!!!
                            Originally posted by DCACM View Post
                            My only caveat is being forced into a story-line. I much prefer the original meandering "story" of the original that let my imagination take over.
                            Exactly. That's what keeps this attraction from going from "worth it" E Ticket to legendary Disneyland E Ticket. It doesn't stir any emotion or imagination in me. It's like watching a movie with sea props basically. Overall I would give it thumbs up, but this isn't the stuff dreams are made of.
                            Originally posted by thrax View Post
                            so was it projectoins or a lot of physical stuff actually in the water
                            I think this attraction relies too heavily on projections and that's why I can't think of it as a classic. Great ride, but too much of a film. It was like watching a 3D movie while moving.
                            Last edited by SpokkerJones; 06-05-2007, 01:01 AM.

Comment

• RobotMirror
                              Neep meep beep
                              • Apr 2006

This newly posted photo is definitely worth a look - it's the first I've seen of this type yet!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39146060@N00/526859581/

Comment

• Sadako
                                A New Kind Of Villain
                                • May 2006

Ok people listen up, this is a Special CM Preview. It's a serious matter, so we need to go over the rules. :rules:

This applies to all you camera trigger happy Micechatters out there. Photography and Filming of the video you are about to see is absolutely PROHIBITED!

Now that we've covered the ground rules, let's go wait in the longest queue known to Disneyland and listen closely to the safety guidelines the legal department has laborously put together.

Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage Queue Music and Safety Spiel: http://figmentsmedia.net/sadako/Find...ge%20Queue.mp3

And finally the time has come to journey back through liquid space into the world of Nemo & Friends:

Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage - Full Ride Video - 1 of 2 - http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6196015580254901523

Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage - Full Ride Video - 2 of 2 - http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7081806536690762046

There you have it folks. Having been on EPCOT's "The Sea's with Nemo & Friends", I knew what to expect, but the technology still blew me away. The interaction at some points between the projections and the real objects was a lot better done than in EPCOT's attraction (Specifically the bit with Dory and the jellyfish), and the proximity of the projections made it more lifelike than the far away feel of The Sea's (Dory's bit at the end with the whale). Plus as opposed to The Sea's, the Submarine Voyage actually follows a theme and story, which are the cornerstones of the Disneyland experience. In The Sea's I felt like I was just watching, but one the Submarine Voyage, I felt like I was actually experiencing it, especially when the lights flicker and change inside the submarine during the mine explosion and at other times. Plus you come face to face with some of the characters and that ugly fish with the big pointy teeth.

The only major bad thing I can say is how puny and dissapointing the animatronics look compared to the projections. I spent months drooling and staring at any glimpse I could get of the crabs and Darla, yet when we passed by them and I saw them in action I just couldn't help but think how underwhelmed I was. It's almost the same feeling I had last year after the POTC refurb to see some of the old AA's when placed next to the amazingly lifelike Jack Sparrow ones. Another con is there's barely anything in the lagoon before entering the show building and the show scenes... I was looking for things to see, but there were barely any besides the pair of animatronics. There's a lot of dead space that could easily be spruced up.

All in all though, it's an amazing ride and I simply can't wait to go on again and again and again!

It's really going to be hard to get bored of this attraction.

Thank you WDI! :thumbup:

EDIT: Um... GoogleVideo attachment thingie doesn't seem to be working, so just click on the links to get to the videos ^_^
                                Last edited by Sadako; 06-05-2007, 08:34 AM.
                                Julie Rei

"Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere." - Anton Ego (Ratatouille)

"I suppose you have no choice but to revolutionize the world." -Mikage Souji (Revolutionary Girl Utena)

Comment

• disneyguy115
                                  • Jul 2006

Finding nemo sub VIDEO!!!!!!!!!

WOO! i tryed doing this, but my phone wouldnt take past 5 mins. so here is a vid of the subs!
                                  Tommy got to experience the new Nemo ride ahead of everyone else! Fun times for him! Apologies for the sorry video and audio: the ride was at night and the ...

Comment

• disneyguy115
                                    • Jul 2006

oh well and this! "http://video.google.com/googleplayer...90762046&hl=en" i dont know if its on here anywhere

Comment

• Sadako
                                      A New Kind Of Villain
                                      • May 2006

Originally posted by disneyguy115 View Post
                                      oh well and this! "http://video.google.com/googleplayer...90762046&hl=en" i dont know if its on here anywhere
                                      Um... that's actually the second half of the Full Ride Video I posted last night... Look back on Page 3 of this thread for my full audio / video / review.

And for anyone who hasn't seen it yet... this wonderful attraction already has an official poster!

Julie Rei

"Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere." - Anton Ego (Ratatouille)

"I suppose you have no choice but to revolutionize the world." -Mikage Souji (Revolutionary Girl Utena)

Comment

• Snow_White_Raven
                                        MiceChatter
                                        • Jun 2006

Ok so we are going to go ahead and put our two cents in... The ride was great... we are glad we got to go on it... Most of the track was the same as the original soundtrack except in an australian accent, the seats are microscopic still, to much time was spent on the Jelly Fish, totally not enough bruce, and whatever you do DON'T get stuck on the last seat for a few reasons... Alot of what you get to see in the way of video depends on the driver and I missed a few of the scenes also the bar goes right into your thigh if you are in the very last seat... UNCOMFY TO THE MAX!!! Anyways... We are glad we went on it but definately won't go on it again until the lines die way down... We can not go on that ride with it in max load again...

Comment

• peoplemover1
                                          I Love Disneyland!!
                                          • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Frogberto View Post
                                          Congratulations to micechatter Master Gracey -- for being the first person to enjoy the annual passholde preview! He sat in the first seat of the first sub for the first hour the previews were offered.
                                          AWW ... you beat me to it!!

Congrats MG!! and Thanks so much for the invite!!! I couldn't have asked for a better sub partner. :wave:

On another note.... THE SUBS ROCK!!!! It was amaaaaazing. You will all love it... take your kids, they will freak! Great Job Disney!!!
                                          I'm addicted and I don't care!!! :yea:

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X