Announcement

Collapse

Your Assistance Please

We need your help to battle spammers and also to keep our community user friendly.
PLEASE BE KIND TO OTHERS - Refrain from personal attacks. Avoid politics and harsh language whenever possible. If someone is violating our simple rules, DO NOT confront them, simply report the post.
STOP SPAMMERS - Report the post. DO NOT respond to them.

2017 is a year of renewal for us, we have lots of exciting changes on the way for you, but we don't have time to deal with trolls and spammers. If you find yourself suspended and need to plead your case, you will need to do so after your suspension. We are happy to address your concerns if you made a simple mistake. However, please note that those with a history of bad behavior and pushing our rules to the limit will not be given the courtesy of a reply.

MiceChat offers a number of ways for you to communicate and get involved. We offer Facebook Groups and Pages, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest accounts. We have a front page filled with amazing content. We offer weekly meetups in the parks. Meets and events all over the world. Podcasts and videos. And we continue to maintain forums for your posting convenience. But with all those options, we can't be everywhere all the time. We need YOUR help. Please don't poke the trolls. Report posts and leave reputation. We'll do our best to keep the forums clean and active, but we can't do so without your help.

Thank you for your support folks, it's going to be a really fantastic year in the MiceChat world.
See more
See less

children on adult's shoulder for fireworks

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• children on adult's shoulder for fireworks

This has been something that I've been thinking about for quite some time, but since it happened again Sunday night, it's a bit more immediate at the moment. One of the things that I think of as rude is putting a child on an adult's shoulder during the fireworks or another kind of show like that, where the view of the people behind is now significantly blocked. I'm of the not-tall variety, so when I find a spot to watch the fireworks or Fantasmic or something like that, I pick someone who isn't too much taller than me to stand behind, or if they are taller than me, then at least I know what I'll be missing since I know how much over their head I can see. And then the lights dim, and the show starts. And the person in front of me is now a foot or two taller because he/she now has a child on his/her shoulders, and my view as well as that of some of those around me is now significantly blocked. I've often said something to the adult, but their response is generally "the child can't see", and that seems to be a good enough reason for why a few of us now aren't able to see much of the show.

Is it really just a matter that the child is most important, so any inconvenience to anyone else is entirely irrelevant? "You have an AP, you can see the fireworks/show anytime you want to," some might say. Well, true, I can go back. But I don't think that having an AP means I'm supposed to be standing behind a 7 foot tall child-and-adult every time I watch a show. And what about the non-AP-bearing person next to me who also now can't see over or through the 7 foot tall child-and-adult? What about the child who's too short to see over most people but too big to be picked up at all, who could see something before but is now basically just staring at the people's backs? I get that it's difficult to carry a child high enough so the child can see, especially during a show as long as "Remember", and putting the child on your shoulders is the easiest way to accomplish that, but for me, it still doesn't justify doing it. And in a situation where it's very crowded, it's not even like you can move somewhere else.

I remember watching "Believe" one night, and several rows in front of me, three adults side-by-side all hoisted a child onto each of their shoulders as soon as the lights went down on Main Street. They were far enough in front of me that my view wasn't affected, but there was now this wall on Main Street, blocking the view of quite a few people. I couldn't hear what was being said, but I heard what I presumed to be complaints. None of them budged. The people behind them scrambled to move to different areas to try to see around the wall of adult-and-child.

I like that for the parades, they've made it so you have to sit if you're in the front row, but you stand if you're behind. However, that wouldn't work for the fireworks, as sitting down on Main Street doesn't give much of a view. So what's the solution?

And before anyone brings it up, no, I don't have any kids, and I've not had this problem, and no, I don't know what I would do in a situation where my child couldn't see over adults, but I just can't accept that the only answer is the complete disregard of other people.

That's it. Time to bring squirt guns to the park. One well-applied spritz and that child'll be off the parent's shoulders before you know it!

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

Comment

It is sort of annoying but even as a non-parent I can see the reasoning behind it. You have to put your kid on your shoulders or like you they can't see much. I'd rather see the show outside of the Park, it's just my personal preference. But I went a few weeks ago to see Tink and it was almost impossible with all those people & their kids on their shoulders. Not much you can do about it... except for Morrigon's suggestion of squirt guns!
      sigpic

Comment

That's a great idea. This is rude beyond reason, and I know there is no talking people out of it. I don't want to start an argument, but squirt gunning seems like a perfect solution!

Comment

It can be hazardous to have a child on ones shoulders. I saw a man walking down mainstreet and ran his child (which was on his shoulders) right into an awning...LOL..the kid cried, but didn't appear hurt....

Comment

:lol: that is HILARIOUS! I would have loved to see that.
            "To all who come to this happy place, welcome..."

Comment

This is one of my pet peeves also. I am short myself and it never fails that I end up behind someone who puts their kids on their shoulders. I can't even see over the parent half the time and then you put a kid on top, and I might as well be behind a wall. Since most of the show is up in the sky, there's really no reason why they can't hold the child in their arms so that they are about the same height as the parent. That way they are not blocking the view of all the people behind them.

I'm always willing to let kids come up and stand in front of me for any show, but when it blocks someone else's view, then it becomes rude.

(okay, I'm now stepping off my soapbox...thanks for letting me vent!)

Comment

Whatever happened to holding the child in your arms at your own head level. I recall doing that with relatives as small children. Not only for the fireworks but for shows like CircleVision. I agree that placing them on one's shoulders is just plain inconsiderate of those behind you.
                "America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between." Oscar Wilde

Comment

when I watched the fireworks I saw a few kids hoisted up on shoulders. thankfully, they didn't block me, but the parent next to me held her child on her hip and he could see just fine. I wonder why more parents don't do that?

Comment

Originally posted by innerSpaceman
                    That's a great idea. This is rude beyond reason, and I know there is no talking people out of it. I don't want to start an argument, but squirt gunning seems like a perfect solution!
                    Its called assault and its considered a misdemeanor which results in a fine and jail time. If someone did that to my child, myself or my husband, I would have no problems flaggind down a CM, Anaheim PD (since they are there) or DL security. They would have no problems taking you and your friends to the famed Disneyland jail. I would get others around us that witnessed the squirt gun incident and have them sign witness reports and I'm sure DL security would be more than happy to help me. After that and taking my report, I would go directly to the person that squirted the gun and say I'm placing you under citizen's arrest. Then Anaheim PD would send you off to their jail facility and a court date would be set.

So, as many of you think that squirting a water gun on these children or their parents is such a great idea to support on Micechat...let me ask you this...is it really worth it to spend time in jail just so you can see the fireworks? So many of you have great memories of your childhood at Disneyland but once you pull that trigger, you'll be ruining it forever in a young child's eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Newseditor44
                      You see, for those of you who don't have kids, its hard for you tounderstand ANYTHING that us parents go through. And just becuase you have spent a couple of hours with someone elses kids, doesn't mean you have an inclination as to what its like to be a mom or dad. So, we'll let these comments slide, and post our usual reply... "You'll understand some day when you have kids", and just let it go at that.
                      OK, so since you haven't really said anything substantial and have just posted the standard BS of "you don't understand because you don't have kids" line that is apparently supposed to explain all (I've got friends who have kids who feel the same way I do, just so you know) - are you saying that if I were to have kids, I would also think it was ok to be rude to other people so that my child can see the show? That my child's view of the fireworks is more important than anyone else's? When you put your kids on your shoulder (if you do), do you understand that you're blocking the view of multiple people behind you? And if you know, do you care? Or does it not matter? If your child is standing there, and someone else puts a child on their shoulders and your child can't see anything, and there's nowhere for you to move, you'd be ok with that?

I'd actually like a real answer, not just cliches. Thank you.

Comment

I don't have children and I am a ap holder but I think it's rude when other people and their children leave their manners at the car.

Saturday I went to the park with friends. During the fireworks sitting on the ground in front of the castle with a child pushing a strolller into my back, I lend over and said to the women "Excuse me but your child is running into my back with the stroller." and she says "Then move"

I know that 1 out of 10 times I am rude! I think we all have that day, we are human.

Comment

Yeah, don't you dare do anything to those children. They see (and learn) enough rudeness from their parents.

Comment

UGH! Having children does not give you a blanket exception to the rules of good neighborliness! I would NOT be OK with kids being put on an adults shoulder just so they can see - IF it is at the expense of others seeing. A child does not need to be 8' in the air to see a show. An adult that has put a child on his/her shoulders blocking the view of others is selfish - plain and simple.

I'm close to 6' tall. I am always cognicent of the people behind me and will move a child in front of me if they can't see. But, I also love Fireworks and have a reasonable expectation that I will be able to view them along with the other thousands of people who are viewing the show. But, when in a crowd of people you need to be thoughtful of the people around you. If you really want a great view, either come early and camp out with everyone else or rent out the park yourself.

Oh, and this is not about having kids. This is about parents/adults being rude and using the child for an excuse.

Comment

Yes, I do mind other people when our family is at the park. But he fact of the matter is, the best way for our kids to see the show is hoisted up on our shoulders, frankly, becuase everyone else is doing the same thing. Try holding a child at your hip after an entire day in the park. For a 20 minute firewroks show, it can be more than tough. I am as polite as I can be about it and always aware of other people around me. I am not trynig to be rude, in fact, I am trying to be as cool about it as possible. If someone were to ask me to take the child down, I would graciously do it so they could see the show as well.

Now I am tired of your squirmy brats that feel that Disneyland is your god given birth right, and since you are AP's nothing else in the world should matter. Do you know how many times a night my kids stroller gets pushed, kicked, run into, shoved, so on and so forth from all of you? Do you know how many times I have to bite my toungue to keep from ramming my stroller back into you? If putting my kids up on my shoulders is the worst thing I have done to you, then so be it. I think that would make us even.

I thought the main idea behind Disneyland was for the kids, but apperently I was wrong. It must be for the 20-something APer's who have holier than thou attitudes.

Was that too cliche and answer for you???

Originally posted by cstephens
                              OK, so since you haven't really said anything substantial and have just posted the standard BS of "you don't understand because you don't have kids" line that is apparently supposed to explain all (I've got friends who have kids who feel the same way I do, just so you know) - are you saying that if I were to have kids, I would also think it was ok to be rude to other people so that my child can see the show? That my child's view of the fireworks is more important than anyone else's? When you put your kids on your shoulder (if you do), do you understand that you're blocking the view of multiple people behind you? And if you know, do you care? Or does it not matter? If your child is standing there, and someone else puts a child on their shoulders and your child can't see anything, and there's nowhere for you to move, you'd be ok with that?

I'd actually like a real answer, not just cliches. Thank you.
                              Last edited by Newseditor44; 06-20-2005, 06:56 PM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X