• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AwesomeMan33
    Fighter Pilot
    • Apr 2007

Disney's next big move

With new theme parks like Harry Potter and the new Marvel Comics theme park to open in Dubai (yeah seriously, why out of country) What do you think Disney will do to amp up the competition? I mean I would think they would have to do something. I mean look at the Universal Studios and Disney MGM, WDW did their best to open first, which they did to avoid Universal to take some of their thunder. And now with two big money maker theme parks coming, what do you think Disney will do to stomp the competition?
    http://www.myspace.com/nygard33
  • Max Fischer
    That Guy
    • Apr 2005

Re: Disney's next big move

Maybe they will dress people in blue, and make them wear vests as they give out really amazing stuff like mouse ears, and for the big winners, they could get maybe like table service at a restaurant? Then so they remember the trip, they will get a bill for their meal, so they always have the credit card receipt! That would be sweet!!!

Comment

• SpokkerJones
      Banned User
      • Jan 2005

They won't do anything and they will continue to be followers instead of leaders like they once were. They'll recycle all their concepts and add Pixar rides to everything. Universal in Florida is the new king of lavish theming and E Tickets I guess.

Eisner doing MGM to trump Universal in Florida was a big mistake. Kevin Yee wrote about MGM's flaws in a recent update. The whole "movie stage" concept is horrible. In my opinion MGM is worse than DCA because at least DCA only has one Hollywood section and it doesn't emcompass the whole crappy park.

There's hope for salvaging DCA's theme. I don't think there is for MGM.

Comment

• merlinjones
        Minion
        • Jan 2005

They should do a Star Wars park.
        “I love the nostalgic myself. I hope we never lose some of the things of the past.” -- Walt Disney

Comment

• AwesomeMan33
          Fighter Pilot
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by SpokkerJones View Post
          They won't do anything and they will continue to be followers instead of leaders like they once were. They'll recycle all their concepts and add Pixar rides to everything. Universal in Florida is the new king of lavish theming and E Tickets I guess.

Eisner doing MGM to trump Universal in Florida was a big mistake. Kevin Yee wrote about MGM's flaws in a recent update. The whole "movie stage" concept is horrible. In my opinion MGM is worse than DCA because at least DCA only has one Hollywood section and it doesn't emcompass the whole crappy park.

There's hope for salvaging DCA's theme. I don't think there is for MGM.

I'm just curious who are they following besides MGM?
          http://www.myspace.com/nygard33

Comment

• SpokkerJones
            Banned User
            • Jan 2005

Originally posted by AwesomeMan33 View Post
            I'm just curious who are they following besides MGM?
            Disney as an organization are following Universal. They are not the innovators anymore. Universal opened Islands of Adventure with a Spiderman dark ride where you wear 3D glasses. Now Disney is opening a Toy Story dark ride where you wear 3D glasses, on a much smaller scale I might add. And they are recycling the "shoot stuff get points" concept from Buzz.

There's just one example. It's really sad that not many people are going to IoA, Disney doesn't deserve its numbers in Florida.

Comment

• The Mad Hatter
              • Jan 2005

Originally posted by AwesomeMan33 View Post
              With new theme parks like Harry Potter and the new Marvel Comics theme park to open in Dubai (yeah seriously, why out of country) What do you think Disney will do to amp up the competition?
              Harry Potter will only have a 'land' at IOA. And who wants to go to Dubai? I don't see either as real competition.

Comment

• SpokkerJones
                Banned User
                • Jan 2005

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
                Harry Potter will only have a 'land' at IOA.
                The Harry Potter land is going to be huge for IoA. If they can pull it off I HOPE that it pulls a lot of visitors away from WDW. That might put a fire under their ***** to clean up their parks.

Comment

• The Mad Hatter
                  • Jan 2005

The Harry Potter land is going to be huge for IoA. If they can pull it off I HOPE that it pulls a lot of visitors away from WDW. That might put a fire under their ***** to clean up their parks.
                  In concept...yes it will be huge. But we all now how that can turn out when real money comes into play.

Comment

• nish221
                    Minion FOREVER!
                    • Mar 2005

Harry Potter will only have a 'land' at IOA. And who wants to go to Dubai? I don't see either as real competition.
                    And they're actually redoing an "island" to do this. They will definitely see a bump (they
                    need it; their attendance decreased while WDC parks increased last year), so it won't
                    increase the total maximum capacity. Finally, there's still a big deal about actually
                    delivering on the concept. That's still a big IF.... I think Universal can do rides well (using
                    former Imagineers btw), but there's a lot of gotcha's if they want a themed "land".
                    Also there's a lot of additional cost that isn't readily apparent when doing this that
                    usually gets red-lined early by accountants that are critical to creating an immersive
                    experience.

I have not idea why Marvel wants to go to Dubai. Seems like a terrible idea to me.

Comment

• SpokkerJones
                      Banned User
                      • Jan 2005

In concept...yes it will be huge. But we all now how that can turn out when real money comes into play.
                      IoA delivered once and it can do it again.

Comment

• nish221
                        Minion FOREVER!
                        • Mar 2005

Agreed. Also bring the level of service back up.... it pains to see that they're tightening up
                        even at the so-called premium hotels.

Comment

• Coheteboy
                          Starcruiser.. crash crash
                          MiceChat Moderator
                          • Sep 2005

This topic is currently being discussed in full force over at the Disney World section where Disney will more likely need to do something:

Join your florida peeps and discuss there!

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
                          http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
                          http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X