Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help the new AP holder.... (Money Problems, no donation required)

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help the new AP holder.... (Money Problems, no donation required)

as I mentioned before: here... I am soon joining the ranks of the APs. I have a very important question....

You see, I am poor... How poor am I? I'm so poor the roaches set traps for me.... ok that didn't make sense... sorry.

I've been do Disneyland about twice a year for as long as I can remember, but I can't think of how much I money i spent all those times... Now that I can go much more often I am wondering how much money to save up for each trip... SO..

How much money do you spend on an average day at Disneyland... not that any day at Disneyland is AVERAGE, but you get the point... ALSO what's the best way to do the park on the cheap?
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

Welcome to the ranks!

I usually spend about $25 per day in the parks, including two meals, and an evening coffee. There is definately a way to make your meal money go farther and still have good food. Whatever you do, do NOT think that simply eating a hot dog or burger is the cheap way to go! For a couple dollars more you can have a really good meal. And if there are two of you, then your options just doubled.

For instance, Red Rocket's: each of you get a different meal, say pasta and a salad, and ask for an extra plate. The dishes are huge, so split your food. You can do the same thing at Plaza Inn or Rancho Del Zocalo.

Forego buying fast food in the parks. IMO they're unreasonably expensive and not that tasty, though a side of french fries makes a good snack. And don't forget to eat at places where you can use your AP discount; it really does add up.

And don't forget to add Parking to your AP. Thats a huge savings, too.

Comment

Ah ha!! fantastic advice... I am buying one of our passes with parking... that should work right?

So, eat at the larger meal places and then split, they are huge portions,

Thank you, this is great, I was thinking it would be more like $75 for the meals... And I did think that the fast food places were the better choice.

Thanks for imparting your wisdom. :bow:
      St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

Comment

Or, you can go out and spend $10 on one of the little portable insulated lunchboxes, and pack your own sandwiches/snacks, it's a little difficult to do if you're staying in a hotel, but a lot of hotels have refrigerators, so it is feasible if you really want to save money. My daughter and I just spent 2 weeks on vacation (in Utah, actually!) living out of hotels, and we did pretty well just keeping stocked up on cereal, sandwich stuff, and snacks so that we didn't have to eat 3 meals a day in a restaurant, and it was really easy to do.

Or if you'd prefer not to do that, Red Rocket's is a good option, because the portions are big, and pasta is usually pretty filling. I've even ordered the kids meal there, which was some kind of pasta w/ marinara, a meatball, bread, and a kiddie-sized drink. I think the whole thing was under $7, and it was plenty of food. There's also a pizza/pasta place at DCA that's pretty good, but the name escapes me right now.

I haven't been in a few years, but Rancho del Zocalo used to give you a LOT of food for the price. We used to be able to split one meal between two adults and still have leftover food. I think it used to be about $13 to do that, but like I said, it's been a few years, so it may have changed.

For $6, you can get one of the giant turkey legs. They're filling, and they're good, but they're really kind of heavy.

Bring your own bottled water and keep it in a backpack or spend $5 to rent a locker.

As for souvenirs, not much to say there. If you want a t-shirt, you're looking to spend $20 at the very least. It's been a while since I bought a sweatshirt, but those are about $35-$50 or more probably. You can usually find little toys and goodies for reasonable prices if you look. The little antenna balls are pretty cheap, so are keychains and name badges. Mickey Mouse ears are only like $7 or $8, so there are quite a few options if you don't want to spend a lot, but you want souvenirs.

So, just depending on what you buy and what you want to eat, you could get by with very little money in the park. I often will go a whole day in the park without spending any money, but usually I at least will buy snacks or pick up something from one of the shops.

Comment

I have never tried to bring my own food to Disneyland, but it sounds like a good idea...

as far as souveniers... I used to work at Disney World, and from all the property control stuff, I have plenty of shirts and sweatshirts....

My wife on the other hand.....

Comment

Originally posted by thejoshualee
            as I mentioned before: here...How much money do you spend on an average day at Disneyland... not that any day at Disneyland is AVERAGE, but you get the point... ALSO what's the best way to do the park on the cheap?
            I am guessing you mean food, as everyone varies with regards to souvenirs. I generally allocate $30 per person per day. Some days are more some are less. Ideas to save: Pack snacks such as cereal bars, split a meal at the Pizza Port (my daughter and I usually get the Chicken Alfredo one with breadsticks, both of us are fed for $12 or 13 including a drink), eat outside the park (Denny's is across the street), and to avoid buying water, my kids have CamelBaks, which they love.
            If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

Comment

You can walk out of the park to Harbor Blvd and eat cheap there. Bring snacks and beverages and rent a locker. Eat breakfast before entering the park. Try fasting one day at the park. Wear edible undies in case of emergency. The list can go on and on.
              sigpic

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Comment

Yeah, spliting meals is the best way to go. We usually make sure to eat at home right before we leave, then split food in the park. Except churros, get back up off my churro woman! No you can't have just a bite! Uh anyway, then either split dinner or eat at home. We live so close it doesn't make sense finacially to eat more then one meal there. Other than that, find a way to get your souvineers from Company D
                "What single word is the name of a magazine, a cereal, a board game, and a never-ending series of soul-crushing disappointments which slowly leech away your hope and idealism until you are nothing more than a bitter husk of a man?"

Comment

Well I've never been to Disneyland, only Disneyworld, but these are my tricks.

Buy yourself a nalgene or another water bottle. I use a nalgene because they are cheap ($8) and indestructible. They have a warranty so that if the bottle ever breaks they will replace it for free. Rumor has it you can even drive a car over it, and while it'll misshape will still hold water. They hold about a liter of water. I and the people I travel with use these so we don't have to buy softdrinks or anything like that. It saves money and is better for you because it keeps you hydrated.

The second trick I used was to go to a military surplus or camping store and buy MREs. It'll cost you about 5 bucks each, but they have plenty of calories to keep you going. I'd wake up in the morning, make one up. They come with heatpads so it'll be warm. Mind you it's dinner style food not breakfast, so there will be pastas, and chicken and the like. Eat it for breakfast and saved the cereal bar for a noonish snack. Mind you I'm a big fella and these things kept me going well past noon on most days. Then early afternoon around 2 or so pick up something small like a hot dog or the like if you need it (I brought Lemon Poppy Seed Cliff Bars), then just eat a supper. Since the MRE and the cliff bar can sort of substitute for 2 meals your cost there is about 6 bucks for half a day's worth of food. You can even then go and have a normal dinner, and you are still under 20 bucks a day.

Comment

If you want a really good luch here's what to do. Get reservations at the Blue Bayou, order the Monte Cristo and two drinks. Split the sandwich (you'll be pretty much full from just a half) and the bill will be 22 bucks (tax and tip included). That's what I do everytime I go instead of gettin a bad cheeseburger or piece of pizza. Plus the atmosphere can't be beat.

The best deal in the park (on a hot day) is that you can go to just about any food location and get a glass of ice water.

Also, contrary to popular belief, if you eat at a cafeteria-like place (plaza inn, rancho del zocolo, or redd rockets) you get freee refills on your drinks.

Comment

Eat something good before you go to hold you over for a while and keep drinking water throughout the day. I'd avoid snacky foods (churros, popcorn, etc) since they don't do much for you but still cost more than they should. If you can bring in some cereal bars or nutrigrain or something, that's a good way to hold you over until the big meal purchase. I'd also agree that the fast food places aren't the best.

My girlfriend and I have been hitting the Rancho del Zocalo in Fronteirland lately. We can easily split a dish for around $10 (you can get an AP discount here, too). They've got some massive burritos and all the meals come with chips or beans and rice. And there's a water spout with cups so you can drink for free.
                      Help test MouseMosaic! PM me suggestions.

Comment

Plaza Inn sells a dinner salad for $4. If you're planning on having a larger meal at another point in the day, or if you've already had one and just need a little something, that salad will fit the bill nicely. Be sure you grab the dinner salad though (the basic looking salad) because they also sell Cobb salad, etc, which are entree-priced.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

Comment

ok... let me see if I got it...

1. split meals
                          2. eat away from the park whenever you can
                          3. bring cereal bars
                          4. bring your own water

I like the Blue Bayou tip

I also like the idea of bringing MRE's to the park, if only for the fact that it would make it feel more like an adventure... I'm not sure if my wife would go for that though.... *sigh*

All great stuff. Please keep it up, if you have any more advice I'd take it like a hungry baby who, for some reason, wants money saving tips rather than food.

Comment

Okay, here's a thought: Subway sandwiches.

Get a footlong before going into the park, eat half at lunchtime, set the other half aside for later in the afternoon, and eat dinner somewhere in the park, like R2P2, etc.

The thing you have to remember though, is many of us give advice based on the presumption that you're not in the park *all* day... because many of us APs will only eat like one meal in the park, and that's how we save.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

Comment

Originally posted by Morrigoon
                              Okay, here's a thought: Subway sandwiches.

Get a footlong before going into the park, eat half at lunchtime, set the other half aside for later in the afternoon, and eat dinner somewhere in the park, like R2P2, etc.

The thing you have to remember though, is many of us give advice based on the presumption that you're not in the park *all* day... because many of us APs will only eat like one meal in the park, and that's how we save.
                              ah.. and I would be in the parks all day... It's a six hour drive from my front door to Disney's....

But I think that ths sharing meals and bringing your own food will help alot.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X