• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Datameister
    =)
    • Aug 2005

Re: iPods/Cells are an obsession

While I wouldn't do these things myself--it'd seem like a waste of time to me, despite the fact that I have good friends and good music--I don't see anything inherently wrong with others doing that. Ruining other guests' experiences by talking too loudly, broadcasting your music, ignoring your friends/family...those things aren't cool. But I'm with the people who've said that once they've paid for admission, it's their choice how they want to enjoy the park as long as they don't limit others' enjoyment.

I remember the good old days when entertainment in a long, relatively unthemed queue consisted mainly of making faces out of Silly Putty. I feel so old.

Comment

• superstacie
      Googly eyed
      • Jan 2007

I always have my Ipod in my backpack, but that's because I listen to it in the car (through my radio, no headphones). I would never put them on inside the park though, there is too much going on around me to even think about listening to music that isn't playing around me. But if others choose to spend their day that way, so be it.
      STACIE and YODA-Dland partners for life

And, I , I close my eyes
      And, I kiss that frog
      Each time finding
      The more boys I meet the more I love my dog

Who'd'ya think you're kiddin'
      He's the Earth and heaven to you

Comment

• Datameister
        =)
        • Aug 2005

I wonder if anybody recognizes the hypocrisy inherent in complaining about people escaping from the real world via iPods and cell phones on a theme park discussion board.
        No kidding. :P
        This trend started long ago when people first started wearing walkmans which, because the earphones isolated the listener, lessened the users engagement with their environment. Add to that the 'MTV' attention span and there has been a change in public behaviour.
        If it isn't intrusive, it doesn't bother me. Unfortunately, it is intrusive more often than the users are aware. The dark areas of HM is one example that has been mentioned.
        However, I am equally bothered by those who insist on using flashes while photographing or videoing rides. Or even those who view their entire trip through the viewfinder of their cameras. On more than one occation, these photojournalist want-to-bes have walked into me or cut in front without any awareness of what they are doing.
        To me, the point is that is is the *use* of the technology that makes it good or bad, but that as these devises become more commonplace, people become less aware of how their use may affect those aroung them.
        Very well put. I agree totally.

Comment

• Lore
          Animatronic
          • Mar 2005

I'm not sure about this whole iPod thing in Disneyland, perhaps we should get the Disney board of directors to decide?

Comment

• SCUBAbe
            no flash photography...
            • Jan 2005

My daughter at Disneyland...

She went without a friend and apparently it's boring listen to her grandmother and I talk all day......she did alternate between her ipod and her cell phone.

Comment

• patattack
              MiceChatter
              • May 2007

Originally posted by superstacie View Post
              I always have my Ipod in my backpack, but that's because I listen to it in the car (through my radio, no headphones). I would never put them on inside the park though, there is too much going on around me to even think about listening to music that isn't playing around me. But if others choose to spend their day that way, so be it.
              yea i know, i dont even know how its possible to listen to it at disneyland! its loud in the queues and im always talking to my friends or something. Theres just too much going on everywhere.

Comment

• mickhyperion
                • Jan 2005

I bring an iPod Shuffle to the parks with me. I originally bought one for the express interest of taking it to the parks. It's one of the best decisions I've ever made, in fact. I don't wear it to block out the sounds of Disneyland or the rides. I use it to block out the occasional sounds of the other idiots I sometimes find myself trapped in a line with. Idiots loudly talking on their cell phones, for example, or screaming in some foreign language into a walkie talkie, teenage girls shreiking like-ohmygod-like-whatever speak, or jackasses playing grabass with each other and cussing loudly. So rather than let these folks ruin my experience by making me mad, I block them out with a selection of theme park music I've loaded onto my iPod just for the trip. It works very well actually. Then they're not bothering me and I'm not having homicidal thoughts while at the happiest place on earth.

Comment

• iwontwait
                  ap holder
                  • May 2007

we always think its ridiculous why come if youre going to spend the whole time on the ipod i just think its rude, but anyways whatever goes their way. haha its my pet peeve when i see someoone with their ipod at dlr and i have no idea why. i sometimes think their listining to disneys 50th anni. cd, or some ride music to get them pumped.oo also i hate when i see girls while they are at the park with their boyfriend/husbands on the cell phone with god knows who the whole entire times especially during long lines, i feel bad for the guy. oh well

Comment

• dpdilla
                    Producer Extraordinaire
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Lore View Post
                    I completely back anyone who complains about people wearing or using merchandise they bought at the park on a ride. Mostly because Disney has started to sell some really annoying things. For example, I don't think those flashing hair clips and necklaces add much to the Haunted Mansion seance circle.

When I was a kid and bought those wooden cork guns in Frontierland, I did load them up and short corks at the eyeballs of passing guests, but I would only do it in Frontierland where they were on-theme. I never did figure out why Disney stopped selling those...
                    ... because Jack Sparrow doesn't shoot corks, he shoots rum, but it's always gone, so to stay in theme Disney doesn't carry it in the parks.

Speaking of annoying merchandise, is there some sale on family-sized lots of Crocs? I mean, not that it's not cute to see a 10 month old baby wear the same shoes as her 40 year old father, but it's become some sort of corny dress code. I think they even throw in pin lanyard sets for the whole family.

:evil:

Comment

• Abominable Snowman
                      Premium Youngling and
                      • Aug 2006

My iPod always used to entertain me when I went with boring people, but I never use it when I am with MC people because I dont want to miss one word

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X