This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The next Animated Attraction?

I've noted a lot of the "why a movie shouldn't become a ride" and "no more movies based on rides" threads. When Walt built the park he wanted to bring his stories to life. In many ways he has. Recently they actually started building animated kids rides again (Buzz, most of DCA, Pooh). I say recently because there was a really long dry spell there for a while.

So here is the challenge. Look at the park and pick an ANIMATED feature WITHOUT an attraction... then come up with your best proposal for an attraction based on that feature. The rules, be realistic, has to fit within the land, and no bickering about other's ideas. Be constructive, don't tear each other down. If you can't come up with something then build on the thoughts of those around you. I know Disney reads most of these and while Corporate might not do squat, who knows, an Imagineer might actually use your thought as an inspiration.

If I could build one it would be based on the Jungle Book. I would revamp the Treehouse, slim it down and make it a lot taller. It would be similar to the old parachute ride at Knott's. With monkey "bamboo" cages suspended by "vines" crowned with colorful leaves and feathers. On various branches, out of reach of guests, you could have King Louie's monkeys, Kaa, tropical birds, and an assortment of animals from Jungle Book. Space would be an issue but I think it could fit. I'd use the Pirate bridge for the line.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

sigpic

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Re: The next Animated Attraction?

For a listing of all the animated films lacking any Theme Park support, go to this page:

http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...08#post1352508

You may be surpised how many DO.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

petes dragon, hop onto the dragon and fly over passamaquati and lighthouses and the beach, could work in DCA paradise pier, butttt impretty sure the movie is based in maine so then theme issues would arise

Comment

Robin Hood would be really neat. No idea how it'd work or where it'd go.

myspace.com/xrybox

Next trip to Disneyland - August 17, 2007

Comment

Originally posted by xRybo View Post
          Robin Hood would be really neat. No idea how it'd work or where it'd go.
          Critter Country?

Though the whole medieval aspect is very Fantasyland.... without the fantasy that is.

Comment

Originally posted by Coheteboy View Post
            Critter Country?

Though the whole medieval aspect is very Fantasyland.... without the fantasy that is.
            My exact thoughts were Critter Country, but then I got confused and was like, it's also Fantasy-ish. But I was also thinking a Fantasia type ride in ToonTown, just AA from the movie and good ol' Sorcerer Mickey. I don't know, this is definitely difficult.

They should open the Tinkerbell flight line to the public and let us pretend that WE'RE flying. :lol:Kidding... I think.

myspace.com/xrybox

Comment

there's a way they can cover a ton of animated features in one place. Instead of just "Bug's Land" or something like that, why don't they have an entire land devoted to the miniturized heroes of Disney films?

Think about it. You have A Bug's Life, Toy Story, Ratatouille, The Rescuers, Chip N Dale, Great Mouse Detective, Tinkerbell... many more.

Then perhaps we wouldn't be stuck with awful ideas for attractions like Flik's Flyers, Lady Bug Boogie, Tuck and Roll's bumper cars, Heimlich's Train, etc. Those don't even EMBRACE the concept of scale. Ok maybe Heimlich sorta does, but it doesn't go far enough.

Comment

The Emperor's New Groove would be a great ride. The art style is pretty unique and the movie is wacky enough to give a good storyline for a fast-paced (like Roger Rabbit) dark ride.

Comment

there's a way they can cover a ton of animated features in one place. Instead of just "Bug's Land" or something like that, why don't they have an entire land devoted to the miniturized heroes of Disney films?

Think about it. You have A Bug's Life, Toy Story, Ratatouille, The Rescuers, Chip N Dale, Great Mouse Detective, Tinkerbell... many more.

Then perhaps we wouldn't be stuck with awful ideas for attractions like Flik's Flyers, Lady Bug Boogie, Tuck and Roll's bumper cars, Heimlich's Train, etc. Those don't even EMBRACE the concept of scale. Ok maybe Heimlich sorta does, but it doesn't go far enough.
                  Which is why I think ToonTown really needs some lovin'. Seeing the movie, "Who Framed Roger Rabbit", it shows them all together, because they're toons. So it's a designated place just for that and should be used! There could be so many more rides...

Except, dose Pixar fit into that? Maybe we just need a Pixarland... I don't know, lol, I just lost what I was trying to do and am now just rambling.:sleep:

myspace.com/xrybox

Comment

Originally posted by xRybo View Post
                    Which is why I think ToonTown really needs some lovin'. Seeing the movie, "Who Framed Roger Rabbit", it shows them all together, because they're toons. So it's a designated place just for that and should be used! There could be so many more rides...

Except, dose Pixar fit into that? Maybe we just need a Pixarland... I don't know, lol, I just lost what I was trying to do and am now just rambling.:sleep:

A while ago I proposed a Toon Town Limo dark ride where people would board limos that resemble Scrooge McDuck's limo as we go through Toon Town and neighboring Duckburg and meet up with our favorite Disney Characters in animatronic form. Characters from all over the disneyverse as long as they fit into the "roger rabbit" realm.

It's a ride that would be easy to put a 'holiday' layover on it as well.

Comment

Originally posted by techskip View Post
                      I've noted a lot of the "why a movie shouldn't become a ride" and "no more movies based on rides" threads. When Walt built the park he wanted to bring his stories to life. In many ways he has. Recently they actually started building animated kids rides again (Buzz, most of DCA, Pooh). I say recently because there was a really long dry spell there for a while.
                      Ah yes, my favorite movie by Uncle Walt was that crazy caper involving those Tiki room birds and their shennanigans. I am so glad that He was able to make that "film" into an attraction. Roll eyes!

My next favorite was that movie by Walt was the one about the pirates of the caribbean who sacked the town and sold women while singing an infectious song. I am so glad that they made an attraction out of that movie.

My point is that Walt did not create the park merely as a showcase for the movies produced by the Disney Studios but while incorporating some of his animated movies into Fantasyland, he (and his imagineers) would expand beyond those boundaries to tell other original non movie related stories in other lands.
                      Last edited by TheGreatEscapist; 06-29-2007, 06:17 AM. Reason: correcting typos

Comment

Why not original attractions?
                        sigpic
                        When attractions were original

Comment

I like that idea. It could be creative and fun, plus you'd have a great deal of variety between movies.

Speaking of The Rescuers, I think a dark ride set in the Beyou (maybe during that scene where Evinrude is taking Bernard and Bianca to Medusa's boat) would be pretty cool. I have no idea where it would fit, though...

Mayor Lurkey rocks!

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatEscapist View Post
                            Ah yes, my favorite movie by Uncle Walt was that crazy caper involving those Tiki room birds and their shennanigans. I am so glad that He was able to make that "film" into an attraction. Roll eyes!

My next favorite was that movie by Walt was the one about the pirates of the caribbean who sacked the town and sold women while singing an infectious song. I am so glad that they made an attraction out of that movie.

My point is that Walt did not create the park merely as a showcase for the movies produced by the Disney Studios but while incorporating some of his animated movies into Fantasyland, he (and his imagineers) would expand beyond those boundaries to tell other original non movie related stories in other lands.
                            Tiki, if you know the story, was based on model birds that Walt picked up on vacation because he couldn't stop toying with them. He later gave it to his Imagineers and said "do something with this". Similar story to Matterhorn, which was a postcard from Swiss stating he "wanted something like this". Pirates was in part based on Treasure Island, and if I remember this one they had difficulty coming up with something for NOS and it was a "kid's like pirates, we can make this work." Jungle and to an extent Frontierland were based on his "True life Adventures" so in some way everything was tied to the company. Nice thoughts. And WALT is quoted many times that he wanted a place where his stories could come to life.

sigpic

Comment

For a listing of all the animated films lacking any Theme Park support, go to this page:

http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...08#post1352508

You may be surpised how many DO.
                              Thank You, sorry I didn't reply sooner but I was buried under a lot of things. I noticed many "references" for Disneyland were either seasonal, closed, or tied specifically to Storybook. I was counting actual attractions, not shows or gift shops (not meant as an insult) but the list was comprehensive so hats off to putting it together. Here's a list of "missing" right off the top of my head

Bambi
                              Hunch Back of Notre Dame
                              Mulan
                              Aladdin (not a show an attraction)
                              Lion King
                              Altantis (was supposed to be subs)
                              101 Dalmations
                              Fox and the Hound
                              Lady and the Tramp

Then there are things that could have a much better attraction like

Little Mermaid (Bugs gets a land... her daddy gets a carousel?)
                              Sword in the Stone (Magic people... you could totally do a dark ride here!!!)
                              Pooh (was looking for Jerry Garcia and his bears in there, what happened to normal old 100 acre?)

So to sum it up, there is a lot out there and Disney seems to jump to Pixarland and raid them without looking back into the vault. I think it is sad that they will release sequel after sequel but they won't theme a ride around the movie itself.

sigpic

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X